Old 10-15-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default does Web Remote need internet access?

Hi,
Is it possible to get the web remote to work without internet access? I understand the web remote device (Android phone in my case) needs to be connect to the same network as the PC running Reaper so they can communicate but...is the internet access necessary?

I didn't think so since I couldn't understand why it would, so I enabled a Wifi Hotspot on my phone but without an internet access, connected the PC to that Wifi connection but the Web Remote doesn't work

We rehearse in a basement which has no mobile or wifi access to the WWW so...no Web Remote possible then?

Last edited by chumbo; 10-15-2019 at 05:08 AM.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:30 AM   #2
Geoff-h3o

No it's not but I think you would need to go through a router because as I understand it you're only using the PC's network card therefore you don't have separate IP addresses for the PC and phone.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
jrk

Doesn't a hotspot (even on a phone) give out IP addresses? DHCP?
I'd think the (local) IP address that your PC has been given by the (phone) hotspot would popup in reapers control surface / web interface window. You should be able to connect to that from your phones browser. Does this not work?

[supplemental] If you run ipconfig (assuming windows) on your PC when connected to the hotspot what does it say?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
karbomusic

Internet access is required only if you want to use rc.reaper.fm - otherwise, pull up the properties of the Web Remote control surface, note the "Access URL" then use that on your remote device - if access URL were http://192.168.2.2:8080 then use that address in your device browser. There are two things to be aware of:

1: You must have a firewall rule that allows TCP/port 8080 on the machine running Reaper.
2: If the device is something like a phone, make sure it is connected to your local network via WiFi and not using the phone's SIM connection. Otherwise the phone/device can't see your local network.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
chumbo

jrk, when I connect the PC to my phone's Hotspot, it won't open the Web Remote.
ipconfig gives me a long complicated IPv6 address which I imagine is irrelevant to the problem here, an IPv4 address (192.168.43.27), a Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) and a Default Gateway (192.168.43.1).

Karbomusic, I think you misunderstood my problem. As I said, I would want to use the Web Remote in a rehearsal room that has no Wifi network available.
So I was hoping for some Ad-hoc/direct connection between my Android phone running the Web Remote and the PC running Reaper.
I completely disabled the Firewall, made no difference.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbo View Post
Karbomusic, I think you misunderstood my problem. As I said, I would want to use the Web Remote in a rehearsal room that has no Wifi network available.
So I was hoping for some Ad-hoc/direct connection between my Android phone running the Web Remote and the PC running Reaper.
I completely disabled the Firewall, made no difference.
The only way I could think this would work would be to use windows ad-hoc wireless/connection sharing feature on the reaper machine, but I swear I looked into this for someone a year or two ago and that feature is either now gone in Win10 or won't work as expected for this purpose.

You could chase down stuff like this article, just not sure if it will work but it if does, the only way without a wireless router is to use the machine's WiFi to adhoc it.

TBH though, probably easier to just find a cheap WiFi router and hook it up at the rehearsal room - it doesn't need internet, just needs to be an access point and/or hand out IP addresses via DHCP. Since it won't be connected to the net, it could be any old WiFi router that works, even if it is now ancient and insecure.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
chumbo

Thx Karbomusic, not a very classy solution but probably the only one from what I understand. Too bad :-(
Thx anyway for your help!
Old 10-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Geoff-h3o

TBH though, probably easier to just find a cheap WiFi router and hook it up at the rehearsal room - it doesn't need internet, just needs to be an access point and/or hand out IP addresses via DHCP. Since it won't be connected to the net, it could be any old WiFi router that works, even if it is now ancient and insecure.[/QUOTE]

Yes this :-)
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
chumbo

Just to confirm, what had been suggested in this thread does in fact work perfectly: using a router even if not connected to the internet allows the Web Remote to communicate with Reaper!
So I've ordered this to keep it compact and not have a tabletop router with an external power supply at rehearsal :
https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Mini-Po...53.m2763.l2649
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
karbomusic

Excellent, thanks for the follow-up.