Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Pingu
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Instances of Kontakt Midi Channels Config - How?

Hello forumers! Im new here and to reaper and im trying to figure out how to configure the midi channels when using multiple instances of Kontakt.

When i load more than one Kontakt, the midi in for example channel 5 in the first instance is triggering the fifth channel on all the other instances as well.

How can i get the various channels separated? There are so many options and im fairly new to reaper and in cubase this seem to happen automatically.

Id appreciate some help, thanx!
Pingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello Pingu and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information.

I'm surprised that it works in Cubase. A VSTi such as Kontakt has only 1 MIDI input port (Port A, in the Kontakt GUI), and channel 5 in one instance will be the same as channel 5 in another.

How have you set up your project in Cubase to keep the channel 5's separate?

In Reaper, you could put each instance of Kontakt on a different track and route different MIDI tracks to each Kontakt.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Pingu

Hello and thanks for your reply. In Cubase i just load a new kontakt and activate the outputs, ive never really thought about it much before i might remember wrong.

In Reaper i have a sixteen track midi template with a stereo audio receive as parent of each midi channel, no problems.

But when i load a new kontakt instance how should i route the midi? I might be completely non-technical here, but the midi on track one just gets duplicated to the track one on the second instance of kontakt. I dont know how to prevent the same midi channel triggering on another instance?

//Ive searched a lot of forums were people asked how to activate the Port B and C etc in Kontakt and the reply usually is that its impossible without something like Bidule and that it would be a lot easier to just load several instances of Kontakt. I might be stupid but i cant really seem to get that to work//

Last edited by Pingu; 03-26-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
DarkStar

Where is the Kontakt for your 16 track template?
Load the template twice with a Kontakt instance added for each?

Can you post a pic of your 16 track template (or a sample project)? When you reply, scroll down and click [manage attachments]
Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Pingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Where is the Kontakt for your 16 track template?
Load the template twice with a Kontakt instance added for each?

Can you post a pic of your 16 track template (or a sample project)? When you reply, scroll down and click [manage attachments]
Its kind of hard to fit it in but ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kontakt-inst-1.jpg (60.5 KB, 1357 views)
File Type: jpg Kontakt-inst-2.jpg (60.6 KB, 748 views)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Pingu

More? I dunno what might be useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matrix.jpg (63.4 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg template.jpg (66.2 KB, 648 views)
File Type: jpg Mixer.jpg (67.3 KB, 533 views)
File Type: png kontaktout.png (22.6 KB, 532 views)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
Kyoshi

Default Kontackt routing

I saw this post, because im trying to route my kontakt 5 player.
I searched on youtube and i found some vids, but somehow i cant get it done,to route my channels correctly.

Normaly i use Ableton, so my kontakt player is already configured for 16 stereo tracks, but i cant seem to figure out how to set up the channels in reaper.

When i play on the channels with the plugin, the audio comes ouot of another channel and when i load an extra instrument in kontakt i cant seem to send midi to the second instrument.. or when i sometimes DO get midi to the secont instrument, i see sound comes out of it,m but i dont hear (and) see it in the reaper channels.. and so on...

Some help would realy be appreaciated, because i want to try out Reaper because its 64bit and ableton is stil 32bit..

Thanx in advance

Kyoshi
Amsterdam
Kyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Pingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
I saw this post, because im trying to route my kontakt 5 player.
I searched on youtube and i found some vids, but somehow i cant get it done,to route my channels correctly.

Normaly i use Ableton, so my kontakt player is already configured for 16 stereo tracks, but i cant seem to figure out how to set up the channels in reaper.

When i play on the channels with the plugin, the audio comes ouot of another channel and when i load an extra instrument in kontakt i cant seem to send midi to the second instrument.. or when i sometimes DO get midi to the secont instrument, i see sound comes out of it,m but i dont hear (and) see it in the reaper channels.. and so on...

Some help would realy be appreaciated, because i want to try out Reaper because its 64bit and ableton is stil 32bit..

Thanx in advance

Kyoshi
Amsterdam

Hi Kyoshi!

I had Kontakt configured with the stereo outs like this (Tutorials For Reaper | Steven Slate Drums 3.5 | Track Template | Multi-Out Routing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HufsGElCe2w.

Then I;

1. Insert virtual instrument on new track (said no when it asked me if I wanted to add outputs) I did that three times because I wanted a template with three instances of Kontakt, I used Kontakt 64 out.

2. Open the Kontakt interface click on the FX button on the track. Then up on the left side there is a menu;

FX | Edit | Options

In options choose "build 16 tracks of MIDI routing to this track" (I did that three times and Reaper figured out the right routing.

3. Then I followed the video in "tutorials for reaper" where he shows how make the audio outputs from kontakt folder tracks for each midi track so its easy to render stems and have everything in one place.

(I also disabled "record" and chose "monitor only" on the 3 kontakt parent tracks and made the sends to the audio track pre-fader.)

There might be a better way to do all this but this is the way i did it. The pros here might have additional info.

Cheers!

Last edited by Pingu; 03-30-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
adaragray

I dont get it, maybe my english sucks so bad i missunderstood some things here.
why would you insert multiple instances of kontakt when you can load multiple instruments into one. you can still assign each midi in- and audio output then from within the plugin
adaragray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Pingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaragray View Post
I dont get it, maybe my english sucks so bad i missunderstood some things here.
why would you insert multiple instances of kontakt when you can load multiple instruments into one. you can still assign each midi in- and audio output then from within the plugin
From what i understand you only get 16 midi channels per kontakt instance and i need more than that for orchestral stuff.

I read that you can use bidule to get around that but i havent looked in to it yet. There are options in kontakt to create separate instrument outputs but that is also something im new to.

Im sure here are a lot of more experienced people here to answer those questions.