Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 06-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #2281
helgoboss
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
On my laptop I can't view/access the edit mapping screen vertically completely.
Screen resolution is 1920x1080 (already the highest/recomended resolution, Thinkpad T420).

That's Reaper maximised:
https://i.imgur.com/bvs6GKL.png

On a sidenote:
Not sure it helps but with this laptop I had the same issue with the theme adjuster script, which got fixed meanwhile.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255162
(screenshot removed though)
Do you use a large font scaling on Windows? Looks like. Try without.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:27 PM   #2282
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Do you use a large font scaling on Windows? Looks like. Try without.

Without that 150% scaling, stuff is rather tiny/hard to see (what concerns my eyes anyway).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #2283
Regisfofo

Quote:
Just looked into this. This is a ReaComp GUI issue, not something ReaLearn-related. It actually updates the parameter immediately, just press the "UI" button in ReaComp, there you can see the slider moving instantly. BTW, this also happens with REAPER's native MIDI learn and MIDI link.

So best ignore the lags and jumps, it's purely visual.

Hi Helgoboss !

Thanks for looking into that one, so it's a reaper bug ok then. Just in case, I've encountered same behavior with surge (the last non xt version, xt is ok though), and from what I heard it seems to be happening too with some NI synth like fm8.
So should we post that in the bug report section ?
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #2284
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Hi Helgoboss !

Thanks for looking into that one, so it's a reaper bug ok then. Just in case, I've encountered same behavior with surge (the last non xt version, xt is ok though), and from what I heard it seems to be happening too with some NI synth like fm8.
So should we post that in the bug report section ?
Not sure. This could also have other reasons. Someone mentioned similar issues with VST3 plug-ins. I still have to investigate that.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 PM   #2285
helgoboss

Quote:
Without that 150% scaling, stuff is rather tiny/hard to see (what concerns my eyes anyway).
I mean anything above the recommended scaling.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #2286
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensapaz View Post
So, you suggested the solution quoted above.

I assume you meant: don't choose type = FX: Set Parameter Value, but rather something like FX: Open/Close or FX Enable/ Disable (with limited variables).

The problem is either of those don't immediately report the plugin name to touchOSC, for example if I drag a new plugin to position 1. I need further action on the plugin for the name to feedback.

Using a parameter name was clumsy (and arbitrary) but it works instantly. As soon a the plugin occupying position 1 changes, the name is fed back immediately.

Is there another way to achieve this? That is: I want the name to update immediately, but without relying on the presence of an arbitrary name parameter (like "Bypass") in order to work?
Oh, you are right! Added an issue: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/588
Old 06-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #2287
nofish

Quote:
I mean anything above the recommended scaling.
I haven't changed any scaling settings manually in Windows (it's a quite recent install), that 150% (recommended) scaling was set by default(*) as was screen resolution 1920*1080 (native), so no, I don't have any scaling settings above recommended as far as I'm aware.

edit:
Also I haven't changed any settings regarding this in Reaper's pref's.

edit2:
(*)In case you're wondering, I only set it back to 100% for the first time for this thread to check how it looks.

Last edited by nofish; 06-08-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #2288
helgoboss

Quote:
I haven't changed any scaling settings manually in Windows (it's a quite recent install), that 150% (recommended) scaling was set by default as was screen resolution 1920*1080 (native), so no, I don't have any scaling settings above recommended as far as I'm aware.

edit:
Also I haven't changed any settings regarding this in Reaper's pref's.
Okay, please open an issue. The easiest solution is probably to move the UI elements closer together. So happy I don't use native OS widgets for Playtime, it's such a pain.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #2289
nofish

Quote:
Okay, please open an issue.
Thanks, will do.

Quote:
The easiest solution is probably to move the UI elements closer together.
Or a scrollbar?
But I don't mind either way.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #2290
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurst View Post
Also, after getting really deep into mapping with ReaLearn I have some suggestions that could make working with sprawling controllers and mappings a bit easier (at least it would in my case ^^):

1. It would be great if there was a way to shift a range or selection of targets without changing the sources and vice versa. For example, when mapping the 24 fader banks of the US-2400, I often missed a fader when going through each of them, maning I would have to go back, remapping each one after the one I missed, instead of just doing something like "shift all targets after source 5 down by 1" and then just remap source 5.

2. A way to batch set all mappings to Track: <Selected>/FX: <Focused> would be nice. I mainly use ReaLearn in Auto-load mode, mapping FX parameters by their position to dynamically target the currently opened FX. Unfortunately, ReaLearn defaults to Track: by position/FX by position for learning, so I have to manually change all learned parameters afterwards to selected/focused.

3. A way to auto-name mapping names by targeted FX parameters when targeting focused FX (like I described under 2.). This doesn't work at this point, because when using selected/focused targeting, the parameter names are only visible in the mapping window when the respective FX is focussed. It would be neat to have an option to access the last parameter name a specific mapping had and use it as the mapping name.

I hope this wasn't to confusing, feels a bit like talking from a deep mapping rabbit hole The journey has been worth it though!
1. If you have complex mappings with lots of repetition, I can really recommend the way vonglan suggested: Creating mappings from Lua code. In its most simple form this code just looks like a configuration file (which ReaLearn itself can generate). Starting from there you can add as much logic as you want, e.g. use a variable to use the same target min/max in many mappings without repeating yourself.

2. If you put ReaLearn on a normal track instead of monitoring FX while building your FX mappings, it will default to "By ID" and as a consequence it will ask you to convert this automatically to "Focused" when you save the preset. This should solve your immediate problem at least.

3. I added an issue: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/592
Old 06-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #2291
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
Hi helgoboss!
Is there a reason there's no "Learn single mapping" action? Similar to "ReaLearn: Learn single mapping (reassigning source)" but without reassigning ?
That would be useful to quickly setup a single source controlling multiple params.

Thanks again for all the work you put in this amazing extension
You are talking about a global REAPER action, right? How about "ReaLearn: Learn source for last touched target (reassigning target)"? This doesn't reassign the source at least, but yes, the workflow is a bit different. If you need "Learn single mapping (always add new)" action, please open a FR.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #2292
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurst View Post
Hi, for normal dropdowns, I’d just set Step size Min to 0 and Step size Max to the necessary step size of that particular dropdown. You can find the step size by learning the dropdown in question as the target and then switching through the dropdown values, observing the Value field. Mostly, the step size should simply be the difference between step 0 and 1.

Seems ReaComp’s Detector Input is a bit special in that regard (maybe it’s somewhat dynamic), the step size for the first step (to Auxiliary Inputs) is 0.1845 but after that the next step (to Main Input Channel L) is at 94.4649. In cases like this, just put all possible values into the Value sequence field, separated by comma.

(maybe there is a more convenient way to do this, that I overlooked ^^)
Yes, entering concrete percentages in "Value sequence" is the best approach that comes to my mind. Ideally, the plug-in itself would report dropdown parameters as parameters with a discrete value count. Then ReaLearn would show a "Speed" slider instead of a "Step size" slider, so you wouldn't have to use trial and error with percentages. Many plug-ins don't do that unfortunately, including ReaComp. I think because dropdown parameters are rarely automated.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #2293
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McArthur View Post
Is it possible to "smooth" out a control or create a button that takes time to get to it's target value?

For example, if you press a button it takes 1 second to transition to the target instead of jumping to it immediately. I know we can do y = x^z for curves but is there a time domain we can access?

Or, for example, smoothing the output of the track peaks target so it's less jumpy.
As for the first "transition" use case, it's not possible at the moment but a good idea. It would probably be enough to provide access to a time variable in control transformation formulas and continuously invoke the mapping when that time variable is in use. This would also make infinitely looped "parameter modulation" use cases possible. And together with the possibility to activate/deactivate mappings, parameter modulation could be switched on and off e.g. with buttons. Sounds interesting. I opened a FR: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/593.

I think taming the track peaks target needs a different approach though. How exactly would you want to smooth that out? Any pseudo code?
Old 06-09-2022, 03:04 PM   #2294
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensapaz View Post
Win 10

(Refresher: this is regarding a UI lag in all VST3 plugins I tested from different developers.

Changes in the plugin UI report immediately to the realearn target mapping window AND to touchOSC, and changes in the relearn mapping report immediately to the plugin UI AND touchosc.

BUT, changes in touchosc do not report immediately to the plugin ui. The change appears only once the plugin window is made active.

This does not occur with VST2x instances of the same plugins.

All tested are 64 bit, no bridging.)
Can you let me know which plug-ins in particular? I tested e.g. TBProAudio GSatPlus VST3 and I don't see such an issue.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:36 AM   #2295
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.13.0-pre.6 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- Internal change: Migrate to Rust 1.61
- Clip Engine: Improved communication with upcoming Playtime App
- #576 Added initial accessibility (Thanks a lot to AZSlow3 for his contribution!)
- #593 Added possibility to modulate ReaLearn target values and smooth transitions by making the rel_time variable available in control transformation formulas (read more on the issue tracker or in the user guide)
- #578 Added "ReaLearn: Dummy" target
- #584 Added support for Mackie Extender (XT) displays
- #572 Added option to log target control values (available in header panel context menu)
- #589 Improved usability by reducing height of mapping panel on Windows and macOS (also vastly improved GUI dialog development tooling to gain more flexibility for GUI modifications)
- #571 Improved wording of log actions and log messages
- #583 Improved usability by using text field to enter marker/region position
- #577 Improved accuracy when using relative mode with continuous target by not exceeding target min/max
- #468 Fixed missing reset of make-relative reference value when disabling mapping via checkbox or dedicated target
- #560 Fixed target incorrect track peaks when using "Track: Peak" target with multi-channel tracks (Thanks a lot to AlbertoV5's contribution!)
- #582 Fixed missing update when changing FX in FX-related targets
- #588 Fixed missing text feedback updates when using placeholder target.fx.name and target.fx.index
- #594 Fixed "channel full" messages on high load (e.g. selecting many tracks at once) and improved initial memory consumption
- #591 Fixed broken controller layout saving (was affecting Companion App)
- #595 Fixed error when using plug-ins with non-UTF8 names
Old 06-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #2296
Dex

Is there an easy way to make a ReaLearn instance target the next FX instance in a chain?

I'm thinking something like this:
Type: FX: Set parameter value
Track: <This>
FX: <Dynamic> this_realearn_instance_position + 1
Parameter: By position: 7
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #2297
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Is there an easy way to make a ReaLearn instance target the next FX instance in a chain?

I'm thinking something like this:
Type: FX: Set parameter value
Track: <This>
FX: <Dynamic> this_realearn_instance_position + 1
Parameter: By position: 7
Quickly added it: https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/599

Will be available in upcoming pre.7.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #2298
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.13.0-pre.7 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #392 Added target-based conditional activation (THIS IS BIG!)
- #579 Added new source "ReaLearn parameter" in source category "REAPER" (for controlling targets with ReaLearn's automatable parameters itself)
- #599 Added possibility to address a FX instance relative to the current ReaLearn instance by using dynamic FX expression variable this_fx_index
- #442 Improved usability by making None the default source and dummy target the default target
- #589 Improved GUI dimensions on Linux, Windows and macOS
- #468 Fixed missing reset of reference value in "Make relative" mode in certain cases (leading to parameter jumps which should not occur in this mode)
- #589 Fixed a few GUI bugs introduced in last pre

Tip: The first two new features open up tons of new possibilities.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:50 AM   #2299
helgoboss

Default Dear ReaLearn and Playtime users, I need your help

Please see my call for help in this tread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=267890

It's of great importance for the continued existence of ReaLearn. Thank you!

Last edited by helgoboss; 06-18-2022 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Just pointed to the other thread instead of repeating it here
Old 06-18-2022, 05:35 AM   #2300
helgoboss

Released ReaLearn 2.13.0-pre.8 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #579 Fixed Lua import bug for new source "ReaLearn parameter"
- #392 Fixed borrow error when building activation conditions (caused by the addition of target-based conditional activation)
- #553 Fixed long-standing serious GUI lags when modifying multiple tracks at once
Old 06-19-2022, 04:52 AM   #2301
Vizar

hello helgoboss. realearn is an amazingly handy midi tool, thanks for doing this.
I have an icon qcon proX control surface that has two displays, one works like a mackie, the other shows channel numbers as standard. it is larger than a standard mackie display and is rated for 9 channels (8 + master). this display accepts commands like:
F0 00 00 00 67 15 13 00 20 31 31 31 20 20 20 20 6d 69 6e 76 6f 20 76 78 67 72 62 62 61 73 73 20 20 62 73 73 67 74 20 72 73 6D 70 62 73 73 67 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 20 63 68 6F 72 20 20 4D 61 73 74 65 72 F7
for 1 line and
F0 00 00 67 15 13 38 20 53 65 65 6c 20 74 74 72 61 63 63 6b 3a 31 31 31 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 53 65 65 6c 2e 20 64 65 63 65 3a 6e 65 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 F7
for line 2.
could you add support for this display to realearn?
i also want to make myself a midi controller on arduino with several oled displays, is it possible to make it possible to write the display address for such sources myself?
also on my surface there is a 2 channel master meter, but when choosing a master track in the target, I could not send the left and right to it separately, only the amount. help me figure it out please. Thanks.

ps: I read the manual, but could not figure out how to make my own support for text feedback for the second display. The lua example in the manual didn't help me much, unfortunately.
Vizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:19 AM   #2302
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizar View Post
hello helgoboss. realearn is an amazingly handy midi tool, thanks for doing this.
I have an icon qcon proX control surface that has two displays, one works like a mackie, the other shows channel numbers as standard. it is larger than a standard mackie display and is rated for 9 channels (8 + master). this display accepts commands like:
F0 00 00 00 67 15 13 00 20 31 31 31 20 20 20 20 6d 69 6e 76 6f 20 76 78 67 72 62 62 61 73 73 20 20 62 73 73 67 74 20 72 73 6D 70 62 73 73 67 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 72 20 63 68 6F 72 20 20 4D 61 73 74 65 72 F7
for 1 line and
F0 00 00 67 15 13 38 20 53 65 65 6c 20 74 74 72 61 63 63 6b 3a 31 31 31 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 53 65 65 6c 2e 20 64 65 63 65 3a 6e 65 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 F7
for line 2.
could you add support for this display to realearn?
i also want to make myself a midi controller on arduino with several oled displays, is it possible to make it possible to write the display address for such sources myself?
also on my surface there is a 2 channel master meter, but when choosing a master track in the target, I could not send the left and right to it separately, only the amount. help me figure it out please. Thanks.

ps: I read the manual, but could not figure out how to make my own support for text feedback for the second display. The lua example in the manual didn't help me much, unfortunately.
There are two ways to make your display work:

1. "MIDI script" source

Use the "MIDI script" source to translate numeric or text feedback values to MIDI. Read about it here: https://github.com/helgoboss/realear...#script-source

You simply need to return the message as array, e.g. sending "F0 00" would translate to:

Code:
return {
    address = 0,
    messages = {
        { 0xF0, 0x00 }
    }
}
Let's ignore the "address" for now.

y will contain the text if you get textual feedback and a number if you get numeric feedback.

2. Open a ticket and let me hard-code support for that display into ReaLearn

Before you do that, it would be good if you get it to work via "MIDI script" and send me the script. Otherwise it will be a constant forth and back because I don't have the QCon and can't test the code I write.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:52 AM   #2303
Vizar

i used a lua midi script, but it only works if you use numeric feedback in the target.
and only if you use the script

return {
messages = {
{ 0xf0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x67, 0x15, 0x13, 0x38, 0x20, 0x20, 0x20, math.floor(y * 10) , 0xf7}
}
}

in other cases, all unsuccessfully
y should be called as an array, if I understood everything correctly, but I don't understand how to make it workable. (lua script result wrong type )
if you use the set of bytes from my message above in the message of the midi script, then the display shows the text contained in it.
maybe you can write a better lua example for textual feedback to display?

the second qcon display is the same as the mackie lcd but has more characters. It seems to me that if you replace 4,5,6 and 7 bytes, as well as add 9 display in its settings, then it will work.

line 1
F0 00 00 67 15 13 00 20 20 31 31 31 20 20 20 6D 69 6E 76 6F 20 76 78 67 72 6F 20 62 61 73 73 20 20 62 73 73 67 74 20 72 73 6D 70 6C 20 62 73 73 67 72 20 63 68 6F 72 20 20 4D 61 73 74 65 72 F7
line 2
F0 00 00 67 15 13 38 20 20 53 65 6C 2E 20 74 72 61 63 6B 3A 20 31 31 31 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 53 65 6C 2E 20 64 65 76 63 65 3A 20 4E 6F 6E 65 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 F7

Last edited by Vizar; 06-19-2022 at 06:56 AM. Reason: erroneous commands in the previous message
Vizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:03 AM   #2304
helgoboss

You probably want to use Lua's string.byte() function to convert all characters of the text feedback string to a ASCII byte array. How does your current code looks, the one you use with text feedback and doesn't work?
Old 06-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #2305
helgoboss

Default Track/FX pinning is here

Released ReaLearn 2.13.0-pre.9 (ReaPack installation instructions)

Changes:
- #228 Added "FX" target (analogously to "Track" target, well-suited for text feedback concerning a particular FX)
- #161 Added new "Instance track" concept, a corresponding track selector <Instance> and a way to set the instance track (this enables many new scenarios such as track pinning)
- #228 Added new "Instance FX" concept, a corresponding FX selector <Instance> and a way to set the instance FX (this enables many new scenarios such as FX pinning)
- #188 Improved "Auto-load preset" feature to be more generic. It now works on the current instance FX instead of just on the currently focused FX (allows much more flexible auto-loading)
- #608 Fixed havoc when copying and pasting mappings
- #607 Fixed "Paste mappings (replace all in group)" for default group

The highlight of this pre-release is Track/FX pinning, implemented in a very generic way that allows for utmost flexibility. See for yourself.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #2306
helgoboss

Default ReaLearn tutorial videos

FYI, I finally started a series of ReaLearn tutorial videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySG...0lZa5G&index=1

2 videos so far, more will follow.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:57 PM   #2307
tompad

Quote:
FYI, I finally started a series of ReaLearn tutorial videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySG...0lZa5G&index=1

KUDOS Benjamin!

Are you reading my thoughts? I was thinking to ask the community if
someone could do some tutorials - there are so many new things I don't
grasp right now.

Thanks Benjamin!
Old 06-25-2022, 06:46 AM   #2308
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
Can anyone give me some insight as to what to look up in the manual in order to control something like a drop down list in a plug-in? For example map a knob to be able to scroll forward and backward through presets? Or how to map two buttons to incrementally scroll left and right through presets?

Also, is there a way to check and uncheck a box (like some of the reaper plugins have)?
Hi. Did you get anywhere with this?

I managed to make it half work with Toneboosters EQ4 (I got it to increment presets but not decrement), but couldn't get either Diva, OpX or any waves abbey road chambers to work.

I think it depends on whether the plugin reports preset changes back to reaper.

I noticed that putting a track in automation write mode and changing presets in EQ4 resulted in Data being written, but with the Diva, there was none
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #2309
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I think it depends on whether the plugin reports preset changes back to reaper.
Exactly. Not all parameters are controllable externally. If you open fx chain and change the parameter and the info at the top of the "param" button menu does not change, it is not available for mapping.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-27-2022 at 03:01 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:52 PM   #2310
Arthur McArthur

Is there a way to link all of the control in one group to a single control in another group, so that any of the controls in the group trigger the second? For example: you have a group with mappings that selects tracks by name and you want to combine this with a script that runs every time. Ideally without making a duplicate script mapping for each track select mapping.

Also, is it possible to have ReaLearn respect REAPER’s native track grouping? I.e. you change the volume of a track with the master volume property and the tracks in the same group with follow volume flag change as well.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #2311
MixR

Quote:

Loving those tutorials so far - thank you for making the effort!
Making them probably takes a lot of time but it's worth it for peoplebecause it keeps the barriers low.
MixR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #2312
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Exactly. Not all parameters are controllable externally. If you open fx chain and change the parameter and the info at the tope of the "param" button menu does not change, it is not available for mapping.
Good tip. Thanks :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #2313
helgoboss

Quote:
Is there a way to link all of the control in one group to a single control in another group, so that any of the controls in the group trigger the second? For example: you have a group with mappings that selects tracks by name and you want to combine this with a script that runs every time. Ideally without making a duplicate script mapping for each track select mapping.

Also, is it possible to have ReaLearn respect REAPER’s native track grouping? I.e. you change the volume of a track with the master volume property and the tracks in the same group with follow volume flag change as well.
1. The "Project: Invoke REAPER action" supports selecting a track before executing the action ("With track" checkbox). Is that sufficient? If not, I suggest using ReaLearn Script to build mappings using Lua code, which makes it bearable to duplicate script mappings for each track mapping.

2. Vote for https://github.com/helgoboss/realearn/issues/45
Old 06-27-2022, 06:15 PM   #2314
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
1. The "Project: Invoke REAPER action" supports selecting a track before executing the action ("With track" checkbox). Is that sufficient? If not, I suggest using ReaLearn Script to build mappings using Lua code, which makes it bearable to duplicate script mappings for each track mapping.
That's perfect, thanks!

I just saw your (excellent) tutorial video with the lua section. It looks very powerful. Are there yet any examples floating around? For my use case, I'd like to learn how to auto-generate multiple sets of mappings with various properties (e.g.: feedback disabled for one, toggle for another) with targets from a table of track names, and sources from a different table of OSC names. This would make maintaining, editing and growing these large sets of mappings much easier than the already useful "search-and-replace" method I've been using.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:44 AM   #2315
MixR

I am only just getting started trying to get some mileage out of REaLearn for myself. My controller at the moment is the Faderfox EC4. I have first created a Controller Preset with 4 banks of 16 encoders and buttons each - that way I have access to 64 parameters.
  1. Then I created a preset for the bx_console SSL 4000 E plug-in
  2. After that I switched to the bx_console SSL G plug-in in order to create a new preset.
I noticed that with the E Channel preset loaded some of the knobs were moving the correct plug-in parameters whilst others didn't.

In terms of proceeding from here am I right to assume that I should be creating a separate preset (map) for every plug-in I would like to be controlled by ReaLearn?
If so, how do I tell ReaLearn to switch its preset to the correct plug-in once it is in focus?

Sorry, if this is completely obvious. I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment and am slowly working through the 50-odd pages of this thread.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #2316
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixR View Post
I am only just getting started trying to get some mileage out of REaLearn for myself. My controller at the moment is the Faderfox EC4. I have first created a Controller Preset with 4 banks of 16 encoders and buttons each - that way I have access to 64 parameters.
  1. Then I created a preset for the bx_console SSL 4000 E plug-in
  2. After that I switched to the bx_console SSL G plug-in in order to create a new preset.
I noticed that with the E Channel preset loaded some of the knobs were moving the correct plug-in parameters whilst others didn't.

In terms of proceeding from here am I right to assume that I should be creating a separate preset (map) for every plug-in I would like to be controlled by ReaLearn?
If so, how do I tell ReaLearn to switch its preset to the correct plug-in once it is in focus?

Sorry, if this is completely obvious. I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment and am slowly working through the 50-odd pages of this thread.
Read the "auto-load" tutorial in the user guide, that will answer your question.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #2317
helgoboss

Quote:
That's perfect, thanks!

I just saw your (excellent) tutorial video with the lua section. It looks very powerful. Are there yet any examples floating around? For my use case, I'd like to learn how to auto-generate multiple sets of mappings with various properties (e.g.: feedback disabled for one, toggle for another) with targets from a table of track names, and sources from a different table of OSC names. This would make maintaining, editing and growing these large sets of mappings much easier than the already useful "search-and-replace" method I've been using.
You can glimpse into the resources/main-presets directory in the Github repo. There are some examples of different quality and also using different coding styles. I especially like the style in the apc-to-clip-engine preset so far.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #2318
MixR

Quote:
Read the "auto-load" tutorial in the user guide, that will answer your question.
Brilliant - thank you!
Old 07-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #2319
Sound asleep

does track ID save if you make a track template?

I always have track templates for all my instruments. It would be really cool if I could set certain tracks so that, whenever I load that template, the record arm will automatically be associated with a given button on my controller.

Right now I might use track name, but, I would like the name to be flexible, ideally.

Not sure if Track ID saves with a track template, or if there's a better way?
Old 07-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #2320
Arthur McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
does track ID save if you make a track template?

I always have track templates for all my instruments. It would be really cool if I could set certain tracks so that, whenever I load that template, the record arm will automatically be associated with a given button on my controller.

Right now I might use track name, but, I would like the name to be flexible, ideally.

Not sure if Track ID saves with a track template, or if there's a better way?
Afaik the best way is to insert a ReaLearn instance on each track that you want to save as a template, with the track target as <this>.