Old 10-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Larry Kriz
Human being with feelings

Default Track Mute and FX

Does muting a track automatically disengage/disable any effects plugins on that track?

Or another way of putting it: does muting a track remove the plugins from memory/CPU usage? If not, what's the best way to do that? To prevent muted track plugins from stealing cycles even when not in use.

Thanks! Hope everyone's doing well!
Old 10-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Kenny Gioia

I believe it does. You can check it yourself in the performance meter.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I believe it does. You can check it yourself in the performance meter.
Thanks Kenny - simple on/off test indicates no CPU usage when muted.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Edgemeal

Doesn't it depend on this setting?
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Larry Kriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Right which leads me to this: Samplitude has a similar operational feature. Mute just kills audio output, but "mute inactive" disables the entire track (including FX plugins from CPU). You select "mute inactive" by right-clicking on each channel mute button. Other DAW's might have similar functionality.

So why the option? What goal or purpose is there in leaving the track FX chain operational even when muted? I don't believe Samplitude has a hidden menu option for choosing the mute default setting (like Reaper which is cool).
Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post
So why the option?
CPU usage mainly I guess, my projects are small so I never need to really worry about CPU usage, but it can be useful for me to disable that option when editing and doing a lot of track mute toggling, for example, while playing I mute a track, then stop play, then if I unmute that track I'll hear a 1/4 second or so of what was playing on the track when it was muted, that can get annoying. I'm going to try and make a script now to toggle that option and put it on a toolbar button so I can see its state and toggle it when needed.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Yes. But we're in "newbieland" so I assumed he didn't change that.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kriz View Post

So why the option? What goal or purpose is there in leaving the track FX chain operational even when muted? I don't believe Samplitude has a hidden menu option for choosing the mute default setting (like Reaper which is cool).
Behavior when muting.

For instance, when you mute things the default way, your computer has to perform functions to remove and add back that processing. So you'll probably hear a glitch or delay as you mute things on the fly.

If you uncheck that box, muting and unmuting should be instantaneous without any glitches as the CPU doesn't have to adjust.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Edgemeal

Quote:
True. I don't pay much attention to the subforum, I use a utility I made that only lists the top 40 or so latest/new/unread posts from only the forums I'm interested in, so a lot of my replies are probably somewhat off topic for a particular forum, sorry about that , I'll try and pay more attention.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

FWIW, since it was mentioned in the OP - I don't believe muting affects RAM usage in most cases no matter how that option is set. Like, a VSTi that has loaded samples into RAM will keep them loaded up and not release that memory when you mute it.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
True. I don't pay much attention to the subforum, I use a utility I made that only lists the top 40 or so latest/new/unread posts from only the forums I'm interested in, so a lot of my replies are probably somewhat off topic for a particular forum, sorry about that , I'll try and pay more attention.
No need to apologize.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #12
Larry Kriz

Quote:
lol exactly right

you know I really do try to find printed answers first. Searching for keywords doesn't always produce a correct match. Responses are going into personal files for my learning curve ;-) cheers and thanks!
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
Larry Kriz

Quote:
CPU usage mainly I guess, my projects are small so I never need to really worry about CPU usage, but it can be useful for me to disable that option when editing and doing a lot of track mute toggling, for example, while playing I mute a track, then stop play, then if I unmute that track I'll hear a 1/4 second or so of what was playing on the track when it was muted, that can get annoying. I'm going to try and make a script now to toggle that option and put it on a toolbar button so I can see its state and toggle it when needed.
That makes sense. Thanks!