Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #41
zedug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
But... this weekend, I'm hoping to at least release a beta for anyone who wants to beta-test... I had someone comment on my YouTube channel video for the MK3... asking for beta-testing. I could definitely use the help!

Stuff is NUTS.

And FUN!!!
Yes please count me in for the beta-test. It so happens that I'm not working next week so the timing is good
zedug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:57 PM   #42
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedug View Post
Yes please count me in for the beta-test. It so happens that I'm not working next week so the timing is good
Thanks! Will do. I'm ALMOST done with the BULK of the stuff... huge bulk. Which controller do you have again? MK3? You'll love it, if so
Old 09-27-2019, 12:01 AM   #43
themixtape

9/27/2019 Update---

Removed from the project:
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S25, S49, S61 (MK1).

The ONLY customizable things are the two touch strips, and the 8 encoders... yes, it can do keyboard zones but as far as Reaper goes, an X-Touch Mini, NanoKontrol 2, Beatstep, or Launch Control XL would do a far better job, with the combo of buttons, knobs (or encoders).

Better yet, use the DrivenByMoss4Reaper stuff with the MK1 Komplete Kontrol keyboards if you have one... you get transport, encoders, visual feedback, the whole nine. There are some issues with 8.00 and 8.10 (with slowing down Reaper) but I've found version 7.05 is pretty stable and functional. It definitely adds some nice stuff to the MK1 series... but as far as other customizations go, it's just barely customizable.

A bargain, though, for anyone who can't afford the MK2 series. The Komplete Kontrol plugin is still insanely useful and powerful... find presets EASILY and tweak whatever you want (still love Komplete Kontrol, overall)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #44
zedug

Quote:
Which controller do you have again? MK3? You'll love it, if so
Yes, Maschine MK3
Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #45
themixtape

Default X-Touch Mini!

Quick update-- my sleep schedule is off majorly... ugh. Spent the entire weekend fighting with a Behringer X-Touch Compact and its Layer A and Layer B... Mackie Control. Ugh. Need I say more? Probably, haha.

Thanks guys, for following everything still. Hopefully this week I can roll out some beta-testing stuff for all this.

I've had to re-do, re-do, re-do and re-do maps for NI stuff, Arturia, etc... and I developed a newfound love for Behringer's X-Touch Mini, which basically rules, in a lot of ways. If that damn thing had 8 layers instead of 2, it would be the best cheap midi controller ever. A close comparison would be the Arturia Beatstep. 16 encoders, 16 pads/buttons, and 16 presets. I tell ya... there's a lot of great deals out there that a lot of people are unaware of. Soon I'll do a YouTube video about it.

If Behringer put out an X-Touch Mini MKII, or something... I would LOVE to see 16 encoders on it, and 24 or 32 buttons. And at least 4 layers. Layer A, B, C, D. That would be the most amazing controller, ever. The encoder rings... super useful. The push-encoders. Or better yet, all that stuff, plus a 4-way click encoder, like the Maschine MK3, and the MK2 Komplete Kontrol keyboards.

Behringer's gotta do something like that in the future. They need something in between the X-Touch, X-Touch Compact, X-Touch One and the Mini... they need something for like $150, and that would be the winner.

Anyway... still excited to roll out this stuff. I know everyone is super-hype on the CSI stuff that Geoff and Michael post about all the time, but I find my 10-month long project to be pretty useful in a lot of ways... and you don't need to code anything, really. Just plug in your controller, add the files and maps, and voila. It's almost like a Reaper script, without the scripting.

I need sleep. 6am...

Hang tight, it's coming soon!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #46
themixtape

I'm basically done with everything!

Added a MK3 demonstration video in the original post, and a Maschine Studio (white) demonstration, showing how a lot of functions work... again in the original post.

updates:
- I removed all Channel 1 button assignments (and there were many) to Channel 11, and moved some Channel 11 ones to fit the former Channel 1 ones. Reason for this? It's not a good idea to map anything to Channel 1 (lots of conflicts with various things)
- I updated the guide at least 5 separate times in the last 3 months, making it easier to read, and making sure all the CC assignments reflect exactly what they should be doing.
- I figured out how to correctly save Controller Editor Templates and Configurations without having them load old ones. It's not perfect, but works a lot better than a month ago. CE has some weird-ass quirks that I despise. Namely, loading old configuration files, even though NEW ones were saved. This has caused the biggest headache for me.

Hang tight... if all goes well, I'll release everything tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:21 AM   #47
dreadnet

Have you release your project?
dreadnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #48
themixtape

Not yet, just trying to organize the files and figure out the best way to promote the release.. and where. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #49
themixtape

Anyone interested in beta-testing... lemme know via PM. I can upload a few zip files for you. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #50
themixtape

Started rolling it out... two beta-testers have the files. Thank you for your interest so far!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #51
themixtape

*bump*

Heard good feedback from a couple users so far... very encouraging. Thanks again for your interest and please let me know if you'd like the links to download the files!

<3
Old 11-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #52
mehmethan

Quote:
*bump*

Heard good feedback from a couple users so far... very encouraging. Thanks again for your interest and please let me know if you'd like the links to download the files!

<3
Yes please, I would like to be beta tester if needed.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #53
philippas

I would be interested too, as I will receive a spark LE soon.
philippas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #54
rayultine

Default beta testing

hey yo!
Maschine Mk2 user here. Would love to try this out! Thanks!
rayultine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #55
themixtape

Thank you! I'll send you a PM with the links
Old 12-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #56
zedug

I'm in the process of writing a report of my betatesting on the Maschine MK3. Obviously I'll submit to Chris first, but spoiler alert -- a little disorienting (for me) at first, but now I'm loving it
Old 12-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #57
themixtape

Thanks Zedug!!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #58
themixtape

Updated some templates... added some useful functions and changed some button functions (on the Maschine controller templates).

Also, I figured out 7 different ways to host Maschine inside Reaper, and have a lot of awesome creative options. Just like FoxAsteria shared with everyone... I'm excited to save these templates, upload the files and get videos for you guys, showing everything.

Nearly all templates use Maschine in MIDI mode (obviously) as the extra Reaper controls (the 4-way encoder on MK3, etc) add a ton of QUICK arranging options into Reaper, using Maschine's sound library, and pads to do hip-hop or anything else.

Basically, my first way (from 2013), and my outdated YouTube video:

Group A & B - two different kits (customize to your liking from the plugin, since routing is now SAVED)
C D E (instruments-- usually bass, rhodes piano, and strings)
F G H (sample chops-- there are "sample" samples in there, or chop up your own)

New ways (2020):
4 Kits, 4 Groups of Sample Chops (E F G H)

4 Kits, 4 Instruments (E F G H)

2 Kits, 6 Instruments (C D E F G H)

2 Groups of Sample Chops-- record directly into Reaper without MIDI mode (chop up your samples quickly, record right in while in Maschine Mode

2 Groups of Sample Chops / two instances of Maschine-- same as above, but still no need to go into MIDI Mode... shift Maschine instances quickly from the hardware (SHIFT+PLUG-IN button)... and track routing already there.

4 Kits and 4 groups of sample chops (all 64 pads accessible, by using a Launchpad X and a custom MIDI map). So you can play the sample chops from the Launchpad X, and finger-drum from Maschine... great performance too. Another thing is you can use another Launchpad X midi map, to trigger Reaper Regions (looped) and add even more functionality and performance stuff.

I never stop working on this stuff... I hope you guys can appreciate my hard work!

Love ya, happy new year!

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:42 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #59
GoGetFletch!

Default Much Respect

Believe me, your efforts are much appreciated

If I can be so bold as to offer some advice: Avoid feature creep. Decide on a solution and get it out there. Let your loyal users and followers expand the feature set and functionality.

Best wishes
GoGetFletch! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #60
themixtape

Thanks Fletch! Yes, I'll take your advice. I always think of new things to add or change... blame it on the ADD!
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #61
HiveMind

I want this. I will trade you money.
HiveMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #62
themixtape

Haha, I appreciate it, HiveMind... I can PM you the files and whatnot.. if you appreciate it and find it useful, I would greatly appreciate you becoming a patron at my Patreon... $3/month tier helps a ton... let me know, I'll try to get you files sometime this week.

Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #63
PeterPunk

Default Download?

Hi,
is there a chance to get the files?
got a spare Jam i could use.
Thanx
Peter
PeterPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #64
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPunk View Post
Hi,
is there a chance to get the files?
got a spare Jam i could use.
Thanx
Peter
Yes, I can send you the files. Did you email me with the same question? I think someone named Peter emailed me... can't remember. All of a sudden this pandemic happens... ugh.

Thanks!

Last edited by themixtape; 04-22-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #65
themixtape

update 4/22/2020: I bought a Komplete Kontrol M32 a few weeks ago, thinking it wouldn't really work for this project (or Windows 7, which I strongly prefer-- NI said it does not work at all with Windows 7, and only Windows 10). Great news is, it does AND it makes for a very decent Reaper control surface with the midi-mapping project! I initially picked it up because I've always liked the look of it and wanted a USB-only controller for my Komplete Kontrol stuff (I have an S25 MK1, but I hate how it needs to be plugged in to the wall!).

The M32 has some fixed mappings for the 4-way encoder (CC60 / Channel 1 for turn, exactly the same as the MCU protocol.... nothing assigned to the push-button (oddly), and midi notes on Channel 1 for the directions, transport controls and Loop button-- again, same as MCU)... but, it DOES work, assuming you do not have an controller using the MCU protocol, which can cause some weird behavior when the two clash.

So, that controller is also now supported in the guide which I updated last night.

Fun stuff! Again, send me a PM or email at themelodies AT gmail DOTcom for the files. If you like what I'm doing, I have a Patreon (http://patreon.com/chriscaulder) and I would greatly appreciate some support at this time!)

Hope you all are healthy and safe!

Last edited by themixtape; 04-22-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #66
valy

Hi Chris,

I'm considering picking up the Mikro MK3 for use in Reaper.

I've read from other users of the MK3 (or Mikro version) that on its own, it doesn't work so great with Reaper because they expect you use it with the Maschine software.

But am I to understand that, thanks to your tireless efforts, it can indeed integrate well with Reaper?
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #67
themixtape

It can work, yeah. A Mikro MK2 gives you a bit more options (and they are CHEAP used), but I did make a midi map and template for the Mikro MK3. However if I were you, I would just go right to a Maschine MK3. Not only is the software and sound library great, but the MK3 is a REALLY great control surface for Reaper.

You just have to make sure your Reaper Actions match the maps.

I'm having a little trouble getting people to understand just how the stuff works. To put it simply, for each controller, there is either a .sysex file (for older stuff, or certain Novation controllers), etc. And for the NI stuff-- there's an NI Controller Editor Template, and Reaper Actions that match that Template (for the NI controllers or most other common brands). All of the assignments are on MIDI channels that do not interfere with common MIDI assignments.

I provide a portable version of Reaper (unlicensed of course) for people to test out, with the Reaper Actions already binded to those midi CC#s.

I'll try to get a really thorough, informative video done sometime this month.

But yes, basically all NI stuff is supported, even the M32!
Old 05-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #68
valy

Quote:
It can work, yeah. A Mikro MK2 gives you a bit more options (and they are CHEAP used), but I did make a midi map and template for the Mikro MK3. However if I were you, I would just go right to a Maschine MK3. Not only is the software and sound library great, but the MK3 is a REALLY great control surface for Reaper.

You just have to make sure your Reaper Actions match the maps.

I'm having a little trouble getting people to understand just how the stuff works. To put it simply, for each controller, there is either a .sysex file (for older stuff, or certain Novation controllers), etc. And for the NI stuff-- there's an NI Controller Editor Template, and Reaper Actions that match that Template (for the NI controllers or most other common brands). All of the assignments are on MIDI channels that do not interfere with common MIDI assignments.

I provide a portable version of Reaper (unlicensed of course) for people to test out, with the Reaper Actions already binded to those midi CC#s.

I'll try to get a really thorough, informative video done sometime this month.

But yes, basically all NI stuff is supported, even the M32!
Great, thanks!

Yeah I'd like the Maschine MK3, but I can't justify $600 right now for something I'll mainly just use for finger drumming, and it takes up a little bit too much space on my desk (this is for a bedroom setup, not in the main studio so space is more of a concern).

I look forward to trying your template/actions out when the Mikro gets here, though! Thank you for your hard work.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #69
valy

You around, Chris? I sent you a PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:34 AM   #70
valy

So, does anyone have a copy of Chris's templates and actions they'd like to share? I can't get ahold of him, and I'd really like to test this with my new Mikro 3.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #71
themixtape

Just hang on, man... I'll get stuff to you
Old 05-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #72
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Just hang on, man... I'll get stuff to you
I have a mikro mk3 too. I'd be interested in what you've done. Currently using drivenbymoss which is going to be great once he fixes a bug. Thanks!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #73
valy

Any chance of getting these, Chris?
Old 05-26-2020, 04:10 AM   #74
Markrs

Default Machine studio

I might be buying a machine studio as they go quite cheap these days, but as I only want to use it as a controller it is a bit dependent on getting it working with reaper. If you are able to share your work that would be fabulous
Markrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #75
themixtape

Hang tight, guys. I've been going through a lot of mental crap, lately. Tired of the pandemic, tired of the prez, tired of the news. Always struggling to pay the bills, always one day at a time.

I just want to make sure you guys know what you're getting into, if/when you download all the files. It seems like most people have no idea how to get any of it going. Even when I'm spelling out exactly how to do it (especially with the portable install).

If you could all again please send me a DM here, that'd be awesome.... I'll get the files for you

Last edited by themixtape; 07-22-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:42 AM   #76
carbon

Would be interested in trying it out on Beatstep pro.
Also thinking about buying the NI MK2 keyboard - would it give the same functionality as machine mk3?
Old 06-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #77
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Would be interested in trying it out on Beatstep pro.
Also thinking about buying the NI MK2 keyboard - would it give the same functionality as machine mk3?
From what I understand, it wouldn't really add much. However there's another user who created a nice script for the Komplete MK2 series... it's in this part of the forum. A lot of people are very, very happy with his work. See the ReaKontrol thread.

The Beatstep Pro maps get the job done... please email me at themelodies AT gmail DOTcom and I will upload the files for you and everyone else who asked. Hopefully sometime in the next few days. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #78
themixtape

Hi everyone! I just sent out an email to 15 people (worldwide) with the links for the maps / PDF guide / custom Templates, etc.

If you did not receive this email, please send me a DM right here, and I will send it right over to you.

Thank you so much for your support!

Last edited by themixtape; 07-22-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #79
themixtape

Guide updated (much smaller PDF... only 8mb instead of 80mb)

All files updated.

For all who got the email (or private message, via this forum) with the links, please see email as the links are exactly the same, but everything is updated!

8/12/2020 new controller added:

MPC Studio Black (since MPC Beats came out, I discovered how useful the MPC Studio Black is, as a MIDI controller). Plus, MPC Beats is a lot of fun!

Thanks again for your interest and thanks a ton for the patronage via Patreon, for those who found the controller maps useful!
Old 08-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #80
themixtape

I've been doing a series of videos demonstrating the MK3 controlling Reaper... here are parts 2 and 3 (shorter videos). Part 1 is 37 minutes long... I have no plan for these, just kind of winging it as I go... but, enjoy!

Basic rundown (about 10 minutes)

Arranging loops and media items, mouseless (about 12 minutes)
plus MPC-style mute automation / Track Mutes