COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default iPlug2 + JS + mobile?

The jesusonic interpreter is not open source, correct?

I just was looking for audio apps for my smartphone and thought how great it would be if one could run .js scripts on the phone... analysis of the mic signal, etc.

Given that iPlugs2 can (or will) build to mobile devices (as standalone apps?) it would be a nice combo. :-) You could integrate it with reapack even...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Xenakios

The Jesusonic system as a whole is not open source, but the Eel2 language is (the code is in the WDL source tree), so you could in principle reimplement Jesusonic or parts of it yourself...
Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
The Jesusonic system as a whole is not open source, but the Eel2 language is (the code is in the WDL source tree), so you could in principle reimplement Jesusonic or parts of it yourself...
Ah, here? From the code that looks like an eel2 interpreter/compiler/evaluator/whatever-you-call-it? So running a .js would be a matter of wiring up the inputs/outputs and firing up a processing loop? Or maybe the implementer would still need to translate all the gfx calls? (I'm obviously not the guy for the job... just curious how much work it would be.)

Personally all I want is to take the mic input (headset or stereo, etc), process it, and draw graphics. Bonus points for saving processed audio to a file, bonus points for reading input from a file. Super bonus points for reapack. (I don't see the need for the IDE on mobile, myself.)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
clepsydrae

In a similar vein: it'd be really cool if there was a way to write a .js plugin and run it through a utility that packaged it up in to a standalone VST/whatever. Or if you could relatively easily compile something like that with minimal glue code.

I.e. combining the cross-platform awesomeness of iPlug2 and the ease of JS effect creation. (It seems like the parts are almost all there, but maybe I'm missing something.)

I have a couple potentially commercial plugins I've prototyped in .js that I will probably never turn in to VSTs because the (GUI programming) learning curve is crippling and it will never make financial sense to hire someone to code them up. I could release them as .js files, but most people don't want to mess with that.

Maybe it's a lot of effort to turn EEL2+iPlug2 into a quick/easy development platform, but it seems like it'd be really powerful if it happened.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
So running a .js would be a matter of wiring up the inputs/outputs and firing up a processing loop?
It would be a bit more involved than that, existing Jesusonic code isn't directly Eel2 compatible code. (For example, the @-sections, which you would need to deal with yourself.) You would also need to register various functions and variables into the Eel2 environment, besides the audio inputs and outputs. I would estimate it would be a ton of work to do a compatible enough Jesusonic clone to run existing JS plugins. But maybe you could do a simpler thing that just runs your own Eel2 programs.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
clepsydrae

I see. Well, I look forward to the updates as work progresses.

(Just kidding.)

Thanks for the brainstorming.

If Cockos decided to opensource ReaJS, presumably that would provide the framework you're describing? I wonder if they would ever consider that.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #7
snooks
Banned

One thing is that Apple ban the use of JIT-compiled code in 3rd party iOS apps and EEL2 uses JIT compilation.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
clepsydrae

Oh, that's depressing.