Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Sound22Card
Human being with feelings

Default Grayed out spectral

Greetings,
I am having a problem in Spectral editing. In my Spectrogram view, when I right-click in the selection I want to alter, nothing happens unless I Double right-click. (That's the first strangeness). I get the expected options screen that Joya shows in his vids, but the two options in Spectral Edits are grayed out. I tried other ways to pull the Spectral edits up and the options are still unusable. Everything else in the spectral display venue works fine. What switch haven't I thrown? Anyone else encounter this?

Win 10
Quad core Pentium
Asus PC
Sound22Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Sound22Card

Has spectral editing been changed? It used to work fine for me a year ago when I last used it. I even got the dials on the side for adjusting the window.

In Joya's video, when he selects Spectrogram from a right-click, of the two selections offered, the 'Show Spectrogram' has a checkmark beside it.

Mine shows the two options but both are grayed out and there isn't any checkmark showing beside 'Show Spectrogram'.

Any opinions? I'd need to get this working.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Fabian

Maybe you have "Prevent spectral peaks/spectrogram" enabled for the track? Right-click the track, and check Track performance options, at the bottom of that sub-menu.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Sound22Card

Excellent suggestion........but it didn't work.

That option is NOT checked for me.
Since I haven't used spectrometer editing for awhile, I don't know if the latest update is to blame or a 'previous to that' update.

Everything else in Reaper works so well. I'm stumped.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Sound22Card

FYI....I remote loaded Reaper onto my tetradrive and the spectral editing works fine.
Does that suggest what the problem might be with Reaper loaded on C: drive?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:10 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound22Card View Post
FYI....I remote loaded Reaper onto my tetradrive and the spectral editing works fine.
Does that suggest what the problem might be with Reaper loaded on C: drive?
Yes, it would seem so.

Maybe try renaming the reaper.ini file. Reaper will regenerate it and I am not sure which settings get reset, but if you just rename it to something like "reaper.ini.old", you can always rename it back to "reaper.ini" to get back to where you are now.

BTW, "remote loaded"... I'm not sure what that means. You could always try a portable install of Reaper on your HD. If that fixes teh spectral editing, you can continue using the portable install (I only use the portable install).
Old 10-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Sound22Card

Funny thing: On C: drive, there is no reaper.ini. There is a reaper-install.ini.
On the remote install on my external drive there is a reaper.ini, in which there are settings for the spectrogram.

What if I save that same ini file into the C: drive folder?
I will try that.

And thanks for the idea.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
Sound22Card

OK, so where the hell is my C: drive version of Reaper getting the settings which I have customized over time? How come it sets up perfectly each time, including the Presets? How is it not creating an .ini file each time? I scanned my whole computer for a reaper.ini, and there isn't any for my C: drive (Program Files).

How is it doing this?

(My 'puter ignorance is showing.)
Old 10-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
Edgemeal

Quote:
OK, so where the hell is my C: drive version of Reaper getting the settings which I have customized over time?
On Windows look in...
'C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\'
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Sound22Card

Found the REAPER.ini file where you said. My Search should have found it as I directed it over my entire C: drive.

There are too many entries in the file to figure out which is missing from the reaper load on my outside drive. Any headings to look for?

I now have three Reapers: One n C:drive, which won't give me Spectral Edit, but shows it has been paid for.

One on E:drive in which Spectral Edit works, but I have the five second WAIT screen (not paid for).
The same for the same version on D: drive. It works as E: drive.

Obviously something is missing in the reaper.ini file for the one on C:. I don't know what to look for. Is there anyone from Cockcos that can help?

The versions on E and F drives does not have my customization. I just might have to rebuild this.

Last edited by Sound22Card; 10-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
Edgemeal

I couldn't tell you, but if trying to figure out what reaper is saving to ini files you could install it as portable version, then make a copy of the ini file in question, then change settings in reaper and compare the updated ini to the copy. And when ini's are more then a few lines I use an app like WinDiff as it can highlight the differences between two files making it much easier to see what has changed.

Have you tried doing a clean portable install just to see if the option works as expected? Good Luck!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Sound22Card

Yes. See my last entry.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
Fabian

Quote:
<snip>

One on E:drive in which Spectral Edit works, but I have the five second WAIT screen (not paid for).
The same for the same version on D: drive. It works as E: drive.

<snip>
You can use the same license for those installs, it is valid. Just don't run more than one of them at a time.

As for setting up your configuration, try to export from the install on C: and import into one of the others. That should give you (most of) teh same setup. Hopefully it doesn't break spectral editing on the other install, but if it does, you have at least narrowed it down to something ni the exported configuration.