Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #41
gofer
-blänk-

May I ask why there are no "reset to default" behaviors for ordinary CC events?

I'm still not sure why I would ever want to reset velocities, even more so when the actual value it resets to is a moving target (maybe some display showing the current default velocity could be useful?).
I am right now experimenting with it and could see some value for drum editing if the modifier obeyed selection, but I've yet to find an edit I couldn't do reasonably fast before this new option. Doesn't mean I want it taken out, of course.
I don't think it would be a good default setting for MIDI beginners. Usually (I believe) people learn to edit velocities before they mess with other CC. They'd be astonished when they find out that the same gesture which they learned to reset values with will suddenly delete stuff (although they should be warned, since the reset modifier shows an eraser cursor icon...)

But I sure have reasons to set Pan and Pitch events to center from time to time. Granted, for the other CC it's easy enough to slam them into the upper or lower boundary when needed, but it's just weird that I can now reset velocities via the mouse but not other CC.

Other thoughts:
1) I don't like the current velocity erase behavior, it will erase all notes that overlap the cursor position. It's ok if you really want to wipe a section of time completely clean, but that's easy enough with a marquee as well.
I think if it would erase only the events of which the "head bubble" or the "length indicator bar" is touched, that would be better.

2) The new reset behaviors should get a different cursor icon.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #42
Klangfarben
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
You just did no points and arguments in your comment, and is exactly what your pointing /accusing that I am doing.
Except I wasn't making an argument for or against a workflow.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the Steinberg forum?
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #43
Arthur McArthur

To use REAPER is to bask in the light of devs who care about your MIDI.

Thanks, guys!!!!!
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #44
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post

But I sure have reasons to set Pan and Pitch events to center from time to time. Granted, for the other CC it's easy enough to slam them into the upper or lower boundary when needed, but it's just weird that I can now reset velocities via the mouse but not other CC.
That's a very good idea. Pan and Pitch are always hard to set to 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Other thoughts:
1) I don't like the current velocity erase behavior, it will erase all notes that overlap the cursor position. It's ok if you really want to wipe a section of time completely clean, but that's easy enough with a marquee as well.
I think if it would erase only the events of which the "head bubble" or the "length indicator bar" is touched, that would be better.

Yes, I mentioned that some posts earlier, as well. At least I think we are talking about the same thing. This has been fixed for 1016.

Quote:
2) The new reset behaviors should get a different cursor icon.
I agree, would make things even more clear.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #45
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Except I wasn't making an argument for or against a workflow.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer the Steinberg forum?
Klangfarben ! You are so clever and not childish
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #46
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ Actions: improve performance of various selected-track mute/solo actions [t=225636]
I got prematurely excited about this, as it's been driving me nuts for years in various projects.

SWS toolbar mute/solo actions still lagging out pretty hardcore.

In a project with CPU at 40% and RT CPU at 12%, using these actions causes about 3 minutes of unresponsive audio and UI stuttering during playback. Takes about 3 seconds if I do it manually on the actual tracks, or less than a second if I remember to stop the project first...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #47
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I can confirm this behavior. However, I haven't noticed it at once, since I'm using different mute/solo actions. The issue definitely happens with "Track: Toggle solo for selected tracks" and "Track: Toggle mute for selected tracks".

@devs, I could be totally wrong, but to me it looks like REAPER is updating the GUI on every solo/mute cycle. Is this the culprit maybe?

In any case, there is something different with the actions I'm using:
"Track: Solo/unsolo tracks" and "Track: Mute/unmute tracks".

They work perfectly, for whatever reason.
Thanks Stevie! I was searching with the keyword 'toggle' and thus was not finding these actions, so cheers for this.

Very strange that we have two versions of these actions that appear to do the exact same thing, except one of them doesn't work correctly! If I'm right and they do do the exact same thing, then it might be a good idea to internally replace these problem actions #6 and #7 with these two working ones that Stevie suggested. I'd say just remove them altogether, but I'm guessing that could cause compatibility issues for people who are still using them.

I'll update my thread with this info as it is essentially a fix for the staggering on muting/soloing. Cheers.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #48
_Stevie_

Yes, I agree, maybe just re-link those actions to the "better ones"?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #49
juliansader

I would also prefer Erase to affect selected events only (or at least have that as an option), not only for consistency, but also since I do utilize Erase as a surgical tool to delete specific events from a larger set of selected events. At present, I make use of other settings such as "Edit active channel only" to focus the Erase tool on the intended events.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #50
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I would also prefer Erase to affect selected events only (or at least have that as an option), not only for consistency, but also since I do utilize Erase as a surgical tool to delete specific events from a larger set of selected events. At present, I make use of other settings such as "Edit active channel only" to focus the Erase tool on the intended events.
I don't really understand this in terms of erase, especially in the velocity lane. If you have a bunch of note events selected and you want to surgically erase one at a time, you can already do that without any items being selected. If you have a bunch of note events and they are all selected, you can already delete them without using erase. So, erasing based off of selection is never going to be a prominent use case.

I'm ok with this being an option but the default behavior should not be based off of selection IMHO. The most used behavior of erase tool is using it like an eraser where it erases everything it touches until the tool/modifier is released.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #51
_Stevie_

Julian, here comes ED's idea into play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Current ones should be renamed as ones that are ignoring selection, then new modifiers should be introduced that only work on selected events. However the current modifiers are consistent with how eraser works in piano roll (they ignore selection too).

Linear ramp modifier exists in ignore selection and regular variant.