Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
luciobar1980
Human being with feelings

Default A way to add a little variation/humanization to an EXISTING automation envelope?

Hi guys, I have some automation lanes all set up basically the way I want them. However, I would like to add some randomness to these while still retaining the overall shape of the envelope. Is this possible? I know you can make them random from scratch, that's not what I want. I want to keep, basically, what I have already drawn for the envelope.
luciobar1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:55 AM   #2
TonE

This sounds like parameter modulation.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
luciobar1980

Hmm, can someone explain Parameter Modulation?
luciobar1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
vdubreeze

I can start it off Parameter Modulation enables you to have any parameter on anything respond to any incoming info that you want. For example, you can have an envelope of an eq on a synth pad track (frequency, band gain, etc) affected/modulated by the volume of the audio on another track, so that the louder the audio the more it moves, and where there is no audio on the modulator track it doesn't move. Useful for when you want to duck a frequency on an instrument slightly while the singer is singing and not when they aren't. If you created a track with purposefully placed audio of varying volumes (and took it out of the master mix so it just goes to the eq for modulating it), linked it to any envelope you wanted, you could probably adjust the sensitivity and amount of change to accomplish adding humanization to an envelope.

It makes sense that someone could write a script that would simply randomize an envelope's setting the way there are scripts for randomizing notes and note positions, but I don't believe there's one in there currently.