Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #81
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
now that's just Low!

lol
For sure – it's just another attempt to gain their attention Ah wait, I should have made the same picture with a Llama kitten, er, baby!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #82
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I should have made the same picture with a Llama kitten, er, baby!
Cria
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #83
beingmf

Better?

EDIT: oh shit: typo!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #84
Subz

haha!

Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #85
gofer
-blänk-

Hehe, I always wondered why there is a "w" in "ahnsser" in the first place .
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 AM   #86
Peevy

This would be a nice feature but you can use one midi item to send data to all 16 inputs of multitimbral vsti such as Sampletank by sending the notes for each instrument to its intended channel. Eg. Bass to Channel 1 guitar to channel 2.

If you want things to be a bit more organised you could allow free item positioning for the instrument track & add as many midi items as you need, renaming & colouring each one Like This:

[IMG]http://img846.**************/img846/3598/fipmidi.png[/IMG]

Uploaded with **************

This is the way I've been doing it lately
Old 05-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #87
EvilDragon

Workaround != solved problem/bug.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #88
matthias.matthias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
If you want things to be a bit more organised ...
Thank you for sharing your idea, but what if I want my project clearly arranged with the midi data on the track where corresponding the audio arrives? This can't be to much to ask for, can it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Workaround != solved problem/bug.
???
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #89
EvilDragon

I'm just saying that what Peevy showed is a workaround, but it's not a solution for a bug in Reaper's feedback routing which considers sending audio but receiving MIDI, all within one track, as a feedback loop - hence, audio and MIDI need to have their own separate feedback loops, as a fix.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #90
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias.matthias View Post
Thank you for sharing your idea, but what if I want my project clearly arranged with the midi data on the track where corresponding the audio arrives? This can't be to much to ask for, can it?
That would definitely be a more ideal solution. But the way I do it is just to save space, IMO it beats having to have 16 separate midi & audio tracks for each instrument in a multitimbral Vsti like Sampletank.

Although if you want to use separate midi & audio tracks for each instrument another idea to save clutter would be to have Audio tracks hidden on the TCP but visible on the MCP & the opposite for midi tracks.

I do agree that it would be much better to be able to have the midi for each instrument on the corresponding audio track. You can actually do this in Ableton live using an external instrument track, all the routing is very easily done, just use as many external instruments tracks as you need. then you can group all tracks with the vsti & save it as a template.

It would be great to see something like this implemented in Reaper.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #91
matthias.matthias

@ Peevy: Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Pro Tools handles multi-out instruments nicely as well. You can route midi from one instrument track to another and then choose the corresponding outputs from the plugin hosted on that other channel as audio inputs. Pretty much exactly what we would love to be able to do in Reaper.
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #92
digaldeman

Quote:
I'm just saying that what Peevy showed is a workaround, but it's not a solution for a bug in Reaper's feedback routing which considers sending audio but receiving MIDI, all within one track, as a feedback loop - hence, audio and MIDI need to have their own separate feedback loops, as a fix.
+1

I just voted for this Bug Report. I've been using Kontakt lately and this needs to be fixed. At least Schwa or Justin should comment on whether it's fixable or not.
digaldeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #93
Chrislomu

BUMP

Any news on this? Still the only thing stopping me from using Reaper exclusively.....
Chrislomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #94
mattfaulkner

Yeah, this is on the top of my nitpicks list as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #95
Reaktor:[Dave]

There is no feedback. Neither in my dreams about routing Kontakt in Reaper, nor from the devs ...

To me, it seems rather easy to fix this. Just consider same data type routing as feedback routing.

Last edited by Reaktor:[Dave]; 01-20-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Reaktor:[Dave] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #96
lxm

Quote:
No, no, I've got a better one.

[IMG]http://img26.**************/img26/6234/feedbackml.png[/IMG]
what the picture guy said
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #97
heda

buuuump
+1+1+1+1
please
I think it is a important feature.
everyone.. vote!
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #98
Goldberg

Guys this is sooooo important to have!

It's impossible to have a fast workflow on multi out VST without this feature!!!

Please everybody vote !
Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #99
EvilDragon

Goldberg, you can already have it, but you have to enable feedback routing for the project.

Also, Justin has said somewhere that it's not really possible to have it any other way than from what it is now, because there has to be some causality (MIDI before audio, or somesuch).
Old 04-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #100
Goldberg

Thanks for the fast response,

yes I know that I can already have it,
but than I will not have PDC,

that means comb filter on tracks,
it is impossible to mix with tracks filtering out each other....

was the PDC problem with feedback routing on "solved"?
(if this makes any sense,probably not as it was not a "problem",I think)

This is possible in every other DAWs I know,so why not in reaper?

Last edited by Goldberg; 04-19-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #101
_TIP_

This is what we need guys, here is a rewire example, also multi out vsti's and external instruments work the same way in ableton.
_TIP_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #102
Colox

I'm bumping this old thread, bigtime!
I thought this evolution was just one more step that a rather young DAW had to take in a close future. But v4 didn't adhere to this, and now I hear that v5 probably won't do it either. What in the ... !?!

Quote:
Justin has said somewhere that it's not really possible to have it any other way than from what it is now, because there has to be some causality.
I was about to say "can anyone point out a single bad thing about enabling this functionality?" when I saw what you wrote, Dragon. I would looove to read and hear about that. If the devs has any durable reason not to, then I (and hundreds, thousands of users) would surely love to hear and discuss that. (not directed to you, Dragon. Just me reacting).

If the userbase don't hear and fully understand that it's deliberate, and whatever solid reasons why there may be, then hundreds, thousands, will feel the development are just stuckup, silent and ignorant, and the remarkable market velocity that Reaper has achieved could dip.
I remember the quite well-received thread @ Gearslutz: "Goodbye Protools, Hello Reaper". Now that's a statement of recognition that all DAW-developers would drule to have, and Reaper got it. Wasting that velocity of approval would be stupid, and this is one functionality that would be sorely lacking and make Reaper feel retro 1997.

Since many DAWs has got this functionality working just fine for almost 20 years, why would cockos have a problem with it?

Last edited by Colox; 01-06-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 AM   #104
Colox

Aah, thx Dragon

So .. especially that last link, Justin seems to say that the developers have coded themselves into a corner on this one. That how things are done in Reaper up until now, and the contingent needs of a close future, are two different modus operandis that won't mix well, that Reaper won't adapt to. Seems to say given how the situation is right now, it's too much effort to make it work, and it might mean having to re-evaluate or change things within Reaper that you don't wanna change/touch. It's what it sounds like, to me.
Either suggests the development team consists of very few people, and/or that internal culture of pride prevents further evolution, or changing along with evolutionary aspects.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sooo certain lots of ppl agree to a great extent. This needs to get done.
I'll happily be the first to pledge that I will pay three times, four times the current price of Reaper if needs be.

A few months ago, I downloaded and installed the demo of the new Bitwig DAW. Just to check it out. Lo and behold, MIDI send and Audio receive on the same channel, and the ADC .. I mean ... I'm a capable pianist and thrive on playing stuff in by hand, live. Lots of guys are- and do the same. But in Bitwig there was no delay, none. The same exact moment I pressed a key down, I heard the note. Super responsive. No wait, rather it's "Just like it is in real life". After recording a few bars of piano to click, I played it back and the notes sounded exactly how I recorded them, the feel, their position in relation to the click, everything - like a tape recorder.

In Reaper, there's always this delay between key down and sound, that just disables you from being able to play with your feelings. Playing a tight piano-part to a hard swinging drums/bass accompaniment? With the notes sounding after you hit the keys? Forget it. And after struggling to get it right anyway, however you can, I have to stop recording, open the MIDI editor, grab the notes pull them forward a few milliseconds, just to even listen to a take. And if the sound level is too loud/soft, I need to go to a fader some other channel (oh, and need to find that channels first too) before I can adjust the sound level. It's nuts.

Bitwig woke up a feeling I had almost forgotten. It made me feel like I was back on a live piano again, back on Cubase again (which I left after 20 years). Feeling this again, after 8 months on Reaper .. it very closely made me tear up.
Reaper is better than the above in many respects, and that's why I'm here. But understand, this needs to get this going. Unless Reaper is to cater only to strict audio recording without real-time input fx, or only to loop-kiddies who paste/draw all notes in, the ADC/PDC in combination with sending MIDI/receiving audio on 1 channel needs to get done.

You'll have to excuse my sullen tone, but this makes me so pissed. I work with this, 6 hours daily at least, so what my tools offer me either makes or brakes my workdays. And I went over to Reaper trusting this functionality to be just a another step for a young DAW like Reaper to soon take. All other DAWs worthy a name has this, and Reaper has become a DAW with the most amazing CPU efficiency I've seen in any media application, good modularity and adaptability, all running on a stability that easily rivals Protools HDX (even with my 200 tracks 300 native plugins project sizes). But instead, Reaper 5 prioritizes things like a primitive script-based notation editor with bad graphics. Christ!

Last edited by Colox; 01-08-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #105
heda

Quote:

And basically this wraps the issue up...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=51
It's strange that in video tracks it doesn't have a problem to have a different signal path than audio. So video tracks seem the same but are different. As Justin said in 5 pre03 thread. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=35
So we have some limitations in routing from audio/midi to video. I think it would be great if it could overcome these routing limitations. I understand that if it has not been done must be for good reasons. So I don't complain.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #106
michail03

I want this feature too.. it would be much easy to use multitimbral vsti
michail03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #107

I'd love to get pre-FX sends in Reaper.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #108
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
I'd love to get pre-FX sends in Reaper.
??? We've had that for a while now! The early posts in this thread are really old.

More importantly, we have multichannel audio on all tracks, and access to those channels right from the plugin pin connectors, and the ability to send from any channel to any channel. We can really take our sends from anywhere in the FX chain that we might choose. Likewise we can create "mid-chain" receives.

I personally have no opinion on the actual OP. I think that it is kind of just contrary to the paradigm that Reaper follows and is one of those things we sometimes have to just get over. Maybe your last DAW did it that way. What did they compromise to make that happen? Maybe it wasn't something you missed, but some of us might. Either way, Reaper just doesn't work that way and I don't really think it needs to. That's not the way we do things around here.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #109

True, forgot that. It seems the terminology was used in a confusing way, as explained here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=45

So the looped dependency between two tracks could be handled, as it was stated four years ago. Devs, please don't forget this one.

ashcat_lt, Reapers routing capabilities are so good it's a shame they cannot be used to do something trivial as multitimbral VSTi routing.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #110
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor:[Dave] View Post
ashcat_lt, Reapers routing capabilities are so good it's a shame they cannot be used to do something trivial as multitimbral VSTi routing.
But it can does and will. It's simple and straightforward. It works and works well. Doesn't work quite the way some people think they want it to, but it does work.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #111
Audio_Birdi

This thread is a decade old, I still wish this feature was implemented into REAPER. Along with blank tracks being able to use no CPU usage at-all! this would make things a lot more efficient for Kontakt / Play / VEPro as a while for MIDI users!
Audio_Birdi is offline   Reply With Quote