Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default need a better attenuator/converter from rec in to zoom h4n

hello,

the recorder output from my mixer for gigs is far too hot for the inputs on the h2n.

it seems that these inputs are microphone only - so when a line level signal goes in, it totally distorts.

what can I put inbetween? I need it by saturday.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
hello,

the recorder output from my mixer for gigs is far too hot for the inputs on the h2n.

it seems that these inputs are microphone only - so when a line level signal goes in, it totally distorts.

what can I put inbetween? I need it by saturday.
Are you using the 1/4" guitar plug inputs instead of the mic inputs? Ooops sorry, I'm thinking h4n not sure if they both have the dual type connector on the bottom of the unit. Otherwise a couple of whirlwind 20db inline pads except those are XLR though.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Jae.Thomas

I am using the guitar plug inputs - so what exactly do I need to convert? Everything I seem to do comes out distorted and I'm sick and can hardly think today

it's a dual connector, has XLR or 1/4 inch - but the level does not seem to be compatible with line level signals.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
I am using the guitar plug inputs - so what exactly do I need to convert? Everything I seem to do comes out distorted and I'm sick and can hardly think today

it's a dual connector, has XLR or 1/4 inch - but the level does not seem to be compatible with line level signals.
Ah OK. So, do the input level meters show clipping even with the input level turned all the way down to minimum? Lastly, what outs are you using from the mixer and do you have any control on that end to adjust that doesn't affect the mix listeners here. I'm assuming there isn't, just checking. While awaiting those answers....

If it actually is too hot a signal and you have no other way to control it you could use an inline pad or pads (2 for stereo).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/sear...erm=inline_pad

This is what I used to keep around for that snare or instrument when my preamps didn't have built in pads and turning the level all the way down wasn't down enough. They just attenuate the signal by ~n dB. However, you'd need suitable connector types. I'm sure someone else here has the latest on this, I haven't kept up with it lately. Just remember, these are only going to work if the incoming signal is clean but too loud and overloading the zoom inputs, if the distortion is coming from the mixer, these won't help.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-24-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
BenK-msx

a d.I box Should help afaik. Or a mini mixer to simply reduce level, volume pedal too .etc. stuff u prob have handy.

I Remember reading that the Zooms can need a reduced level not to clip on those mic inputs with line source.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

I have a 60db attenuating cable from radioshack and it's way too much.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
I have a 60db attenuating cable from radioshack and it's way too much.
Yea, I was thinking more like 10 or 20.