Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #121
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Why do some studios have Auratones?
I think the idea is to use them as 'reference' speakers. Meaning that after or during a mix you listen to how it sounds on the reference speakers as.... a reference. But I hardly see it useful to actually mix on those.

The other thing about good monitoring (meaning both the monitors AND the room around them) is that it makes it easier to create a mix that translate well to other systems. So, at least in theory, you can listen to other speakers/rooms to check if your mix indeed does translate well. But with a good monitoring situation to mix on, that check should mainly tell you that you indeed have a good monitoring situation to mix on

If listening on other reference systems tends to bring you back to the mixing stage for whatever is lacking on those reference systems, basically your mix-monitoring setup is fubar
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #122
teleute

Auratones were originally used to represent the most common speaker setup for a tv or portable radio, i.e. if you have some kick are bass that cant be heard well on them then it wont be heard on the radio either.

TV’s and radios have improved but this is still relevant today, flat screen TV’s have mostly shit bass, and a lots of people have little portable DAB radios, shop radios in loud environments, crappy car stereos, even loud PA’s at a party if its breaking up the bass will be the first thing to get turned down. So the point of them is to know that your track will still sound good in these situations.

Keeping in mind that bass is not all in the low register, a lot of the sounds character is in the mid-range, so a decent mixed bass can still sound good on a small speaker, maybe not trouser moving good but the point is it doesn’t sound like something is missing.

My diy auratones ( and by that I mean 2 cheap speakers in 2 cheap mdf boxes ) have helped loads because I’m no longer being fooled by bass thats pleasing but ultimately a bit empty.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #123
beingmf

Auratones are a life saver (for me at least). There's no better and quicker way to a) getting the midrange sorted, b) getting the level of b1) vocals and b2) reverb sorted and c) check a phase coherent (keep in mind, it's 1 broadband speaker, no crossover involved) version of what's going on.

To me, they don't sound bland or dull or weak - they're just a very funny animal, but a useful one
Old 11-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #124
cyrano

You do realize that the first Auratone manufacturer wasn't even a speaker manufacturer, I hope.

Any small full range speaker will do, unless you need the same performance in several locations. In that case, room treatment is even more important.

A lot of the stuff goin' on in audio land is purely reputation based. People believing they' ll mix better on speakers with a better reputation is a clear example.

You need to get to know your monitor speakers. And when "upgrading" you need a lot of time to adjust.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #125
teleute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
You do realize that the first Auratone manufacturer wasn't even a speaker manufacturer, I hope.
They just struck lucky with the worlds most poorly designed toaster?