Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Folder parent tracks on right in MCP (option)

I think this would be a pretty simple tweak for the devs.....

I'd like the option to have parent folder tracks show up on the right of their grouped child tracks instead of the current display which is to the left in the MCP.

To me, this makes more sense from a traditional signal flow perspective. I like to work my signal chain from top to bottom and left to right.
For this reason, my default REAPER template has the MCP Master fader on the right and the pan controls at the top. However, the one thing I cannot currently do is have the parent folder track on the right of the grouped (child) tracks. I use this feature in REAPER all the time to create instrument subgroup busses and it is counter intuitive to me to not have this option.

Who else is with me on this?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
hermitcrab

Yes dave, i totally agree.

This would be a normal signal flow on an analogue desk and is counterintuitive to me to have folders on left of tracks. A basic example of this creating problems is if you want to create a mix bus in addition to the master bus as is often done. Currently they are at the opposite ends of the MCP which means constantly scrolling from one end to the next to see both. Now i know you can collapse the chid tracks but they are still on the opposite sides and even on small projects if you want to keep all the child tracks visible its not possible to see mix bus folder and master bus at same time.

I know you can put the master bus on the left hand side so folders would be next to it but this is not good for screen space for any master / mix bus VU meters, as when on the right side, VU meters can just take up item space and not obscure TCP.

Might be a good idea to create a new FR for this to create a poll ? ( i can't see one ). Its just i think many would benefit from this.

cheers

Last edited by hermitcrab; 02-06-2017 at 08:13 AM.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
minotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I'd like the option to have parent folder tracks show up on the right of their grouped child tracks instead of the current display which is to the left in the MCP.

Who else is with me on this?
Oh my God, YES, YES! Please!
minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
To me, this makes more sense from a traditional signal flow perspective.
Exactly, and consoles in general when they aren't split consoles. Drives me batty. I usually just change the option so I can manually drag them to the right to get by but wish it was default.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
nofish

Took me a good while to 'get' it but I think the intention that by default Master track is on left in the mixer, folders to the left of child tracks is to resemble the layout/signal flow in the arrange view.

That said, coming from other DAWs originally, my master is also on the right and I'd also put folder parents to the right if that option existed (just a habit which probably won't change).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
karbomusic

Just to help illustrate why many of us ask. Hopefully these aren't too huge for the screen...

I think all we need is an option to throw master and folders on the right. To be fair if using busses this is a non-issue if memory serves and we can still drag folders to the right but an auto option would be nice.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
SoulOne82

WTF are you guys talking about?

The REAPER mixer resembles a mixing console perfectly!

Last edited by SoulOne82; 02-10-2017 at 01:45 PM.
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Dannii

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. I'd forgotten about this thread (I posted it seven years ago after all!) but certainly haven't forgotten the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Exactly, and consoles in general when they aren't split consoles. Drives me batty. I usually just change the option so I can manually drag them to the right to get by but wish it was default.
I might be misunderstanding you Karbo but do you mean there is already an option to have the parent folders on the right of the children? Even if it has to be done manually, that is still much better than no option.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Dannii

SoulOne82, that made me lol!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I might be misunderstanding you Karbo but do you mean there is already an option to have the parent folders on the right of the children? Even if it has to be done manually, that is still much better than no option.
Yea, sorta, if you right click in the mixer and uncheck "auto arrange tracks" you can then just drag them over to the right manually.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #11
Dannii

Quote:
Yea, sorta, if you right click in the mixer and uncheck "auto arrange tracks" you can then just drag them over to the right manually.
I'll have to experiment with that. Thanks heaps for the tip.
Right now though, I am waiting for the electricians to install a split system air con in my studio. A few days ago, right before a heat wave, my current air con died. Yesterday, I recorded a peak outside temperature here of just over 50C (122F)!!
Needless to say, it is too hot inside my studio right now to do anything (too hot for both me and my gear).
Old 02-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
hermitcrab

Quote:
Thanks very much Karbo. I tried this and it works, until you collapse / reduce to folder track and then it automatically switches back to the left hand side but still good to know when i need it thanks.

It would be good if right side was default with option to remain on left for those needing it.

cheers.

Last edited by hermitcrab; 02-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Dannii

Quote:
I know this reply was two years ago Karbo but seriously, I've not used folders in all that time! However, for the first track in a new album I'm working on, I have set up a folder and just tried this suggestion and it works. It does make it a bit tricky to instantly see where the first and last tracks are in the folder group but collapsing and uncollapsing shows that. Then just drag parent to the right again. Not perfect but quite acceptable.
Thanks retrospectively for this tip Karbo.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #14
Mr. Green

A little workaround I actually use in my own setup is to park a separator where you would normally park a folder track, then route it to a buss on the right side of the group. Use the separator as a folder, and viola - instant drag n drop routing right where you need it to go. And you can still collapse it.
Mr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:41 PM   #15
marcmarc

I really need this! I always struggle to find my way in the mixer just because of that…
marcmarc is offline   Reply With Quote