Old 08-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Lynard
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Issues-VST Plugins

Struggling with audio with VST plugins. At times I have sound with my plugins and then it is gone. I've checked device and track settings, VST path...re-scanned and now I don't have sound even with the plugins that were working before.

I'm running a Lenovo laptop with Realtek drivers. I'm not sure how that lines up with selecting the correct audio system. For awhile the Direct Sound choice worked. Right now nothing seems to be working. Is there a troubleshooting checklist or something that would help me be sure all my settings are correct?
Thanks in advance.
Lynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Stella645

Download and install ASIO4all and select this as the audio driver.

If this also doesn't work post screencaps of your settings.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Lynard

In process of installing ASIO4all and I get this message:

Install Segurazo Antivirus to protect our computer from malware, phising and viruses....By clicking "Accept" you agree to the Terms of Use and to install the choices above and have read the Privacy Policy. ...

Yahoo powered search will be configured on Internet Explorer and Firefox broswers. ...By clicking "Accept" you agree to the Terms of Use and to install the choices above.

I do want to install ASIO4all, but aren't really interested in allowing another program (Segurazo) or allowing Yahoo to take control of my browsers. Any words of wisdom?
Lynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Philbo King

1 - ASIO4ALL will have absolutely no effect on VST plugins or whether they work.
2 - A lot of VST demo versions will cut sound out every 20 seconds or whatever.
3 - If your audio peaks above a certain level, by default Reaper mutes it to protect your ears and speakers. Worth checking.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Philbo King is correct.

Furthermore:

Anything that says it's going to install antivirus or a toolbar etc.--do not install it. I'm guessing you got ASIO4ALL from an "unofficial" site (or that whoever makes ASIO4ALL has started packaging it with crap to make some money). Your instinct to not install it was a good instinct. As it is, ASIO4ALL is not recommended for most situations. It shouldn't be necessary and it shouldn't offer any improvement over the drivers that exist for your device (more info below). ASIO4ALL's popularity was from a time (20+ years ago) when if using Cubase (or Nuendo or possibly Wavelab...I forget now), you had to use ASIO drivers or nothing at all. ASIO4ALL was a way of forcing a device to use the ASIO system even if it didn't have its own ASIO drivers. So it became a recommendation that people just kept falling back to if their audio device wouldn't work for one reason or another. "Just install ASIO4ALL". That advice is very outdated and in most cases is not a good idea anymore (even if it's from a legit source, without spyware etc.)

Also there may be proper ASIO drivers made by Realtek for your device. If the drivers were installed from a disk, or from a zip file (etc.) check that disk or zip file's contents for a folder named ASIO. There will be some DLL files in there plus an installer for the ASIO driver. Download a new driver pack for it if you need to (from your mainboard's website; don't just download from any random "driver site" or you'll be in the same boat as when you downloaded ASIO4ALL or possibly worse). I got ASIO working for Realtek ALC892 and ALC887 devices (some of the most common Realtek devices), and the drivers worked well. The Realtek ASIO driver will show up in your driver list in Reaper. You'll have to choose ASIO as the driver type at the top of the dialog, then pick the Realtek ASIO from the next list box.

Also: WASAPI driver is good. It's low latency and should perform about as well as any ASIO driver (perhaps better, depending). Check the driver type list box for that and use it if it's there (it should be). Direct Sound is a bad driver choice; that should be your last resort.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-11-2019 at 04:50 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynard View Post
In process of installing ASIO4all and I get this message:

Install Segurazo Antivirus to protect our computer from malware, phising and viruses....By clicking "Accept" you agree to the Terms of Use and to install the choices above and have read the Privacy Policy. ...

Yahoo powered search will be configured on Internet Explorer and Firefox broswers. ...By clicking "Accept" you agree to the Terms of Use and to install the choices above.

I do want to install ASIO4all, but aren't really interested in allowing another program (Segurazo) or allowing Yahoo to take control of my browsers. Any words of wisdom?
right DO NOT let it install that piece of shit... It is really hard to get rid of after it installs

usually when it is bundled with some other installer, you can choose to NOT install it.... IF you cannot... quite the install and run away