Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
EManBass
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED-ISH] Move media to new folder; leave samples where they belong

Hey all,

Quick, very possibly dumb, question: Sometimes I create a little drum situation with some samples, and then add some bass (I'm a bass player) and other stuff, but when I save the project (I know, I should probably start by saving the project and such) I select to move the media to the new folder so that my bass playing and other elements are moved there, but when I look in there, the samples I'm using (via RS5K) also get moved to the session folder. I did notice, though, last time it copied the samples, it didn't move them altogether. While I appreciate that because I hated moving my samples back manually, it still is quite annoying.

I was wondering if there was a way to not do this, and to move only the audio recorded media while leaving the samples in the folders where they belong. I don't want my samples to either change places, or to be duplicated in multiple sessions. Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by EManBass; 08-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.
EManBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
EManBass

Anybody? I don't know if I worded everything properly, so I'll explain my beef again:

I start creating something new, let's call it a "beat" for the lack of a better term, with a combination of me recording on bass, guitar, keys (midi), and then some drum samples and such. I want all my recorded media (bass and guitar, and midi files) to move to a new directory upon saving the project, all within the same folder which we'll call "Whack Beat". So now I have a folder, "Whack Beat", where I can find the Reaper project session file, the backup session file, and another folder with all the media involved in this specific project called "Whack Beat". But what happens with the samples? Well, they either get moved altogether from their original location (in my case, another folder where all my samples live), which I don't want because next time I look for a sample I used for this project, it's not where all my other samples are but it's only withing "Whack Beat"; or they get copied, creating a mess of duplicated sample files across my folders of mixes, productions for background music, work for specific companies that have their own folder... It's a mess!

So, how do I avoid that? I want the recorded media to be moved (and not be directed to the default media folder where Reaper will save everything else), but I don't want the samples to be moved or copied. I want Reaper to look for them in the Samples folder, but never move or copy them. It sounds like there MUST be a way, so I'm sorry if this is dumb to ask, but I need to figure this out =(

Thanks a ton!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
puddi

I don't think that's possible, unfortunately. I looked for the same thing before and learned that I just have save my projects earlier so that all the recorded files end up in the right folder straight away.

It would be nice though if there was an option to only move the temporary files and not every sample used in the project.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
domzy

yeah, i agree that the best option for you is to save the project before you record anything, and assuming you have your default save locations set up appropriately, then all your new files should go into your new project folder.
This, should do what you want, as long as you don't tick either the "copy" or "move" options, which presumably you are referring to in the first post.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
EManBass

Thank you both. While not perfect, that sounds like a reasonable workaround. The only "issue" would be, if the "beat" is actually whack then I have to look for the folder and delete lol

But yeah, I guess I'll be doing just that, saving the session prior to start any work. I assume by what you are saying that, once I save the session, all recorded media will be then stored within the session folder? Let me answer that for you: yes. The answer is yes. I just tested it.

Then, in Project Settings>Media I can add a "Path to Save Media Files" that I just called "Audio Files", then "Save as default project settings". From now on, I will start by saving a session (that creates its own sub-directory folder), and then all recorded media will be found within that folder, inside another folder called "Audio Files" that Reaper has just created upon saving the session, and within that there's yet ANOTHER folder for the Reaper peak files (don't recall how I got that there, but there's a way!). I say all this for my own brain to register my new workflow, and for those reading trying to find a solution to this common question, especially those who migrate from other DAW's.

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
Goldreap

Keep in mind that if in Preferences> Media> "Copy imported media to project media directory" is not selected (the default I think), then after your first 'save as', any imported samples won't be copied or moved from their original locations with subsequent basic 'save' instructions (unless you have overridden that global setting in Project Settings/ Media).

Last edited by Goldreap; 08-14-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
Phazma

It would be perfect if Reaper had a preference on startup to automatically create a project folder in a default location (with a generic name like “untitled”) without prompting. If if you close Reaper without saving the project it should delete the folder and otherwise overwrite it with the name you choose when saving. Obviously if autosave is enabled it should still create backups (in case the unsaved project crashes but you actually want to work on it).
This way one could open Reaper and just mess around without having to worry about the disk getting cluttered with unneeded folders and without having to worry about choosing an appropriate name first when maybe not even knowing what is coming out of the session. Yet things would still be organized if such “potential folders” were already present before saving.
Just got inspired to write this here but probably it should be posted as FR to be noticed by the devs.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote