Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #1
eclef
Human being with feelings

Default "Phantom" Receive??

I have an inexplicable issue, which is that one of my folder tracks is receiving a sidechain signal, when I haven't actually created that send to it.
(Although I have created the send to one of the instruments within the folder).

I'll try to simplify the details of what's happening...

- I have FOLDER, which contains "KEYBOARD".

- That Keyboard is receiving "KEYB-DRUM" for sidechain compression.

- FOLDER itself is receiving "FOLD-DRUM" for sidechain compression.

- For some strange reason, KEYB-DRUM is triggering the compression in FOLDER, even though it is definitely not routed there.

The only way I can stop it happening, is by either muting the KEYBOARD track, moving the KEYBOARD track out of FOLDER completely, or turning off the compressor in FOLDER (which should only be receiving FOLD-DRUM and not KEYB-DRUM. It is for some reason receiving both).

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by eclef; 08-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Greg Savage

Is there a way you share a video of this issue?
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
domzy

are you sure you haven't got both your sidechains routed to the same audio channels? ie 3&4
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Fergler

When you route to 'a plugin', you are routing to the track on separate channels which the plugin is receiving. Just look at the IO window to confirm.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
ferropop

It's perfectly logical, but in my opinion not a great "feature" that Reaper behaves this way.

You know how every channel in a folder is technically routing itself to the 1/2 of the Folder instead of Master? Well that goes for sidechains 3/4, 5/6, everything. It all gets sent to 1/2, 3/4...of the parent, so yeah you'll see sidechain activity on the parent.

What I dislike about this is that if you want to send stuff to 3/4 of child tracks then it sort of screws you over if you want to use 3/4 on the Folder itself because it'll be a collection of all the 3/4s of the children. In this case I just use 5/6 on the Folder instead, and problem solved...but starts getting messy.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

All it really takes is to block channel 3/4 at the child after whatever plugin is listening for that sidechain. I'd probably just drop in ReaEQ, open the plugin pins, untick all input boxes, and set the output to 3/4. If you really want to, you could disable all the bands, but it won't be using much CPU anyway.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
domzy

surely it's easier just to put them on different channels in the first place, rather than adding an extra plugin. If you're gonna be fannying about with IO pins you might as well be setting one of the ReaComp's aux inputs to 5&6.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
eclef

Thanks for the help,

That pretty much makes sense now you've told me, and it was fixed by dropping in ReaEQ as suggested, though I've gone for just changing the Folder receive channels to 5/6 instead of 3/4.

What's confusing is that firstly, I've never noticed this happen before, even though I use different combinations of folders and channels all the time...

But even more confusing, is that right now the KEYBOARD track is also receiving signals on channels 5/6, and 7/8... but these are NOT affecting the parent track like 3/4 did.

I am using 5/6 on FOLDER now with no problem, even though KEYBOARD has a snare receive on those channels.

Have I missed something, or is maybe another variable at work? Why was it only tracks 3/4 that affected the folder?
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote