Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
mirgo
Human being with feelings

Default Bass Player Wanted for Collab

Hello good people of REAPER Forums!

My name is John and i am a musician (guitarist) from Greece.The reason i am posting this is because i am in search of a competent BASS PLAYER to record a track - tribute of mine to some of my favorite bands.It includes original sections and known sections from previously written music.The style is progressive Rock - Metal and the track is this

https://soundcloud.com/user-97090648...ibute-pre-bass

If someone thinks is up for it let me know please.

Thank you
John
mirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
cemark

Hi John,

How much freedom would I have tracking the bass? Do you a very precise and clear vision of the bass arrangement? Or could I just go for it?

Of course I would do my very best to honor the integrity of the composition.

I like the genre, and would love to give this song a shot if the bass part is not too set in stone.

I am, like you a guitarist (and singer), but I do play bass. And I would not offer to do it, if I wasn't certain that I am competent enough.

Johan
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
mirgo

Hi there Johan!

In my opinion you can record anything you like as long as it serves the song.Ideas on the composition is something that i actualy strive for.So yea ..go for it and if you need stems or whatnot tell me so that i can send them to you!

Regards
Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirgo View Post
Hello good people of REAPER Forums!

My name is John and i am a musician (guitarist) from Greece.The reason i am posting this is because i am in search of a competent BASS PLAYER to record a track - tribute of mine to some of my favorite bands.It includes original sections and known sections from previously written music.The style is progressive Rock - Metal and the track is this

https://soundcloud.com/user-97090648...ibute-pre-bass

If someone thinks is up for it let me know please.

Thank you
John
I might be able to help you out. Do you have a chord/leadsheet?
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 AM   #5
mirgo

No i generally dont create written parts that include chords or melodies (which could be a bad idea because i ache to remember them later on).I can provide stems of the music though and the bass player that decides to give it a shot can listen to the material and decide what serves the song best (subjective - but a human take is something that i actually seek after)

If you are interested you can also hit me up on FB - John Margaras.I can provide the aforementioned stems (drums,guitars and so on).

Thank you for your response
Old 05-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #6
cemark

PM sent
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:09 AM   #7
mirgo

To hel out the situation i decided to post a transfer file with the stems of the song (in mp3 format for simplicities sake).

https://we.tl/t-K79SOCMTxR

Anyone who wants to record is welcome to do so.My FB is "John Margaras" - the one with all the guitar playing inside

Enjoy and let me know the results of your efforts either here or on FB!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
camerondye

I worked out a bass line on this tonight, It's late and time to go to sleep for me now though so I will talk to you guys tomorrow. Done on a Stingray bass

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iburr8krc8...0Bass.mp3?dl=0

Next Day Edit:
There are so many different parts in this that to finish something in a sitting I pretty much had to do a section and move on to the next and I hear today that I don't like everything I did but I like some of it. I don't normally play anything in the realm of a "mathy" type rock almost ever but I liked the tune so I figured give it a try. I went through the song once and put in markers and the key of each section so I could follow better and went at it.

Last edited by camerondye; 05-08-2019 at 04:54 AM.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
mirgo

This is an excellent starting point camerondye!

I love some of the ideas you brought into this and the quality of the playing also intrigues me!Congratulations!

You can record the perfect bass for the track in my opinion if you keep it a little more simple though.I took the liberty of writing down the parts (as they are arranged) in time order to help you out.It is obvious that you can play the parts with precision but here goes:

0:00 - 1:18 Perfect
1:18 - 1:36 Accent the impact of the synth,keep the slides they are beautiful
1:37 - 1:53 Keep it simple ,target chord notes in conjunction with the rhythmic guitars pattern

1:53 - 1:55 Fill it in , you can do it!
1:56 - 2:34 Perfect
2:34 - 2:52 play in conjuction with the rhythmic guitars pattern
2:53 - 3:12 Perfect!
3:13 - 3:22 Sustained notes prefered at this point (note selection is great)
3:23 - 4:00 Perfect
4:00 - 4:40 Long sustained notes ,keep it simple
4:55 - 5:20 Perfect!
5:20 - Fill it if you want
5:20 - 5:38 Play what the rhythm guitars are playing - same notes it will be great
5:38 - 5:56 Perfect!
5:56 - 6:12 Follow progression of the Rhythm Guitars with Long sustained single notes
6:13 - 6:26 Perfect
6:27 - 6:44 single notes with slides are preffered
6:44 - 7:02 Leave it as you have recorded it.The density of the Bass will rise in the arrangement this way
7:03 - 7:44 Perfect
7:45 - 8:02 Long sustained notes ,follow the rhythm guitars note selection
8:03 - 8:20 Leave it as you have recorded it.The density of the Bass will rise in the arrangement this way
8:20 - 8:37 Long sustained notes with slides
8:38 -End Perfect
Old 05-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
camerondye

I just got home from work and I'm getting some food but I will print up the direction and try and redo this tonight. PM me so I can get your information and send you the tracks directly. If you have any questions you can post those here so we can keep the conversation going with everybody. I will send you 24bit WAV files so they are better than mp3's. I will start playing in an hour or so. Are you in the states? I'm in North Carolina.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
camerondye

Here's another take at the bass line with corrections made. Your corrections were pretty much in line with what I wasn't liking and were well thought out and made a huge improvement from last night. I don't know how you write but I usually sleep on it and listen in the morning and change what I sucked on. It's a tough song to do in one sitting for sure because it has a bunch of different and tough parts. I like the song and I think it's a lot more cohesive with this 2nd bass part than yesterday. Obviously the bass part is still mixed high in the mix so you can hear it well but tell me what you think.

The bass was recorded with a DI and an AMP so it will have 2 files when I send it to you. I usually keep the DI higher than the AMP and use the amp to distort a little and add it in to the DI but it really depends how much articulation you want from the bass and how much you want it to stick out.

DI - Stingray to A Designs REDDI to Distressor Compressor
Amp - Stingray to Ampeg Tube PF-50T to Ampeg 12" speaker, U47FET, Vintech x73i

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3weqq54szp...Bass2.mp3?dl=0
Old 05-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
mirgo

Now this is great!I need to listen to it a couple of times to check the flow but i think that we are there.Its great.I am also impressed by your amp setup and recording chain.This equipment you mention is hard to come by, something that states to me that you really care about the end result and your sources (which is only a good thing)

The way i usually approach songs like these is that i write sections of it each time i sit down with the guitar.Sections become some crucial musical statements of the song that i find ways to combine together.Sometimes this works sometimes it doesnt.In this particular situation the whole 2nd half is an entirely other section (that much is obvious).

Because i generally use more complex chords and harmonies than Triads (add chords ,7ths or with the addition of open strings) i tend to create a basic melody from Harmony point of view and then embelish it either with the Rhythm section or with the Lead guitars playing.Of course because it is Rock/Metal power chords are always there but this kind of approach has always led me to more interesting and melodic Lead Lines as well.

Im listening to the track with your bass now.I have also PM you.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #13
mirgo

Ok so i have listened to tha track several times now and i still believe it is great!

A couple of really - kinda minor - details i would love to listen to are these:

1:17 - Slide INTO the Impact root note of the bass synth and then play it aggressively
5:21 - 5:38 Play the notes the rhythm guitars are playing (descending triads).Listen to it from the stems i have provided.This is because the mood of the track changes to more metal sound and increased Heaviness is good for this part of the song
7:03 and 8:57 Add the final sustained note (i will fade them in the mix but they need to be there)

These changes will make it a superb bass part i believe ..ideal for this kind of track.Great Job!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #14
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirgo View Post
5:21 - 5:38 Play the notes the rhythm guitars are playing (descending triads).
I like this idea! Pardon me for interrupting but my suggestion would be to keep it as he played it for half of that section and THEN play the notes the rhythm guitars are playing on the last half.

Just a suggestion.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:52 AM   #15
mirgo

Hey Jeff thanks for the feedback!

The bass has been tracked and Cameron did a great job!I will finish the mix now with the bass and then i had the idea of sending it for stem mastering through a Neve analog summing mixer.

I will try to upload a version of my mix for you guys to evaluate and give feedback

Cheers
John
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
mirgo

As i stated this will go for stem master - meaning things will change quite a bit - but you get the main idea by listening to it for a while.Here goes:

https://soundcloud.com/user-97090648...-journey-mix-2