Old 03-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
Funkbuqet
Human being with feelings

Default Cannot edit custom action (steps lost?)

I went to add a step to one of my frequently used custom actions today and ran into an issue. In the actions menu both the "Edit Action..." and "Delete" buttons are greyed out. I can right click and select edit from there, but when I do the box where you drag all the actions into is empty. The odd thing is the custom action still works just fine. I just cannot see or edit what it is doing. And honestly, I don't remember exactly what I did when I set it up the first time. I just remember it being a time consuming pain in the butt to get it to work right.

I figure this may have something to do with an update. I wrote the custom action in Reaper 6.0 and the version of SWS that was current at that time. I have since updated to Reaper 6.23 and SWS 2.12.1.3.

Is there a way to recover the steps/settings for a custom macro? I am hesitant to try and add/edit it as-is since this action has become an important part of my workflow and I would rather not have to figure it out again.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper CA issue - Adjusted.jpg (60.3 KB, 126 views)
Funkbuqet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkbuqet View Post
I figure this may have something to do with an update. I wrote the custom action in Reaper 6.0 and the version of SWS that was current at that time. I have since updated to Reaper 6.23 and SWS 2.12.1.3.
After those updates, do you see the contents of any of the custom actions you have made, or is it only this specific one that is not showing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkbuqet View Post
Is there a way to recover the steps/settings for a custom macro?
All the custom actions and the key bindings are saved into reaper-kb.ini file at the root of Reaper resources. You can get there from Options/Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...

So what you could do is to make a backup copy of that file, or maybe even better, export all your Reaper settings from Options/Preferences/General, Export configuration. Good thing to do especially when you have made lots of changes and want to have a backup.

As for the reaper-kb.ini file itself, you can open it in any text editor. Here's an example line from mine:
Code:
ACT 0 0 "6c3b6fc7c1021944920d105aa5b435da" "Custom: Select empty space between items" 41110 40417 40626 40416 41174 40625
The Command ID of that custom action is inside the first quote marks. Then follows the name of the custom action. And finally you get the command IDs of all the individual actions that are in that custom action. They are in the same order they appear in that custom action.

So you could e.g. search your custom action by its name and copy the command ID sequence of all the actions included. Then search the same actions by their command IDs in the Actions list. You could make a new custom action this way, with just different name, to see how it works.

Or right click menu over the original custom action and Duplicate custom action. That way you get a copy of your original, but with (Copy) added to the name and could work with that one instead.

---
I see you have been a member for a while, but welcome to the Reaper forums, Funkbuqet.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Funkbuqet

Default Thanks for the help

All my other custom actions are fine. It is only the "Trim Dead Space" action that is affected. Oddly enough I opened reaper-kb.ini and that custom action is not listed there at all. I can see all my other actions and keybindings, just not that one. Even stranger it continues to work fine. So somehow Reaper knows what it is supposed to do.
Funkbuqet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
dreaminglife

Default Duplicated Actions: Can't Edit or Delte

I am having a problem with editing or deleting any duplicated custom action. Have checked "reaper-kb.ini" and the new actions are being added. There are more lines of code in "reaper-kb.ini" each time I close Reaper after copying actions that cannot be edited etc. Looking for the copied actions and they are there in "reaper-kb.ini" with a new command ID but in the actions window they don't have a command ID, just a 0 where it should be.

My other reaper installation is working OK, so I copied the "reaper-kb.ini" file from it to my main install. It didn't fix the problem.

Any idea what might be causing this bug? Have just updated to version 6.29 and think it might have happened at that time. Not sure.

Running Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1, HP6200.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 06-17-2021 at 05:55 PM.
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
LugNut

Hi,
Maybe copy key maps from your working install. Or cut and paste.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:00 AM   #6
Stew

(EDIT: Not fixed but probably an old/new version problem - it's not occurring with new custom actions I've set up with current version)

I've just hit the exact same problem as the OP.

My custom actions are working fine, remain mapped to keystrokes and control surfaces, but the edit/delete buttons are greyed out and when I right-click to edit them, there are no actions listed in the box.

Searching reaper-kb.ini doesn't even find the names of these actions.

They must be somewhere! Any updates or ideas here at all?

I'm running 6.79 and SWS 2.13.2.0

Thanks.

Last edited by Stew; 05-04-2023 at 03:03 AM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:51 AM   #7
nofish

Maybe they are SWS cycle actions?
These can't be edited via the action list's 'Edit action...' button (greyed out) but with the cycle action editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I've just hit the exact same problem as the OP.

My custom actions are working fine, remain mapped to keystrokes and control surfaces, but the edit/delete buttons are greyed out and when I right-click to edit them, there are no actions listed in the box.

Searching reaper-kb.ini doesn't even find the names of these actions.

They must be somewhere! Any updates or ideas here at all?

I'm running 6.79 and SWS 2.13.2.0

Thanks.

Last edited by nofish; 05-04-2023 at 01:56 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote