Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
BlessedOne72
Human being with feelings

Default 80s Gang Vocals

Hi ...

How to make those 80s Glam Rock (Mötley Crue, KISS, etc.) with just one person singing .
I know ... about singing in a interval, but that just does not sound the way I'm after .

Chorus and doubler might do some magic, but there's gotta be some more decent way to achieve the result .

I'm also interest doing some gospel-choir ... Any ideas how to ? Just one or two persons .

Yes, there is e.g. Antares Choir, etc ... Maybe a VSTi / AUi vocal library with a "Word-Builder" ?!?

Examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYuEk0U2NRg
Check out the BVs "Danger"

Gospel Stuff :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtMgsN8Tpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrcP_bSMUiQ

Kula Shaker / Great Hosannah in time 3:56

- BOne -
BlessedOne72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne72 View Post
Chorus and doubler might do some magic, but there's gotta be some more decent way to achieve the result .

I'm also interest doing some gospel-choir ... Any ideas how to ? Just one or two persons .
Honestly, for some purposes, FX are just FX; the only way I've ever found to make two people sound like a choir is to have them overdub the part over and over. It's easier in the long run than nudging copies of the audio all over the place, and it sounds better. There are no short cuts.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
karbomusic

Gang vocals aren't usually harmonies with each other, just a 'gang' of people singing the same line hence that term instead of harmony background vocals - you could do well just overdubbing yourself multiple times but the only caveat is they all sound like you where gang vocals are usually multiple people. In any case, overdubbing it over and over is going to be far better than trying to do it with a plugin by far.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Fex

The masters of the art of 70s & 80s glam gang vox.... just Freddie, Brian & Roger singing AFAIK, and a lot of overdubs.

Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
karbomusic

Those aren't really the 80s "gang vocals" though, ^those are fantastically arranged and performed harmonies. They would fit the choir question though Gang vocals usually mean a specific method of recording several people, where harmonies aren't really part of the picture but sometimes the octave is there, often similar to yelling/chanting. Typically the entire band + anyone else standing around would get in a room and sing them all at once, aka gang and more primal in nature than choir harmonies.

A quick example off the top of my head (@1:50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdtaZBOzgk&t=110

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-20-2020 at 08:00 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
serr

We Will Rock You would be the better example from Queen, right?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
We Will Rock You would be the better example from Queen, right?
Yea, probably so, good call!

The OP could get close via overdubbing, like I said, the main thing is it's the same person/voice tonality etc. but they could get around that some by changing the way they sing every few overdubs and not trying to be super tight on the delivery - assuming they do let's say 10 tracks or more of it.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
TheLastUsernameInIdaho

I think you can do this with one voice if you overdub yourself singing from different distances from the mic. I'd set up two microphones, one in the middle of the room and one about 10 feet further away. Then sing your part from different parts of the room. The further you can get from the microphones the better. You will get enough delay from the microphone spacing that the voices will all be slightly out of phase with one another.

Then you can probably dress up the tracks with differing amount of reverb, using high eq for the vocals that you want to sound close up, and cut the high eq for vocals you want to sound in the background.

It's still going to contain just one voice. I did this once with two women singing and we were all surprised at how full it sounded.
TheLastUsernameInIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
nightscope

"Just scoop the mids out and you can fit in hundreds of bv tracks." - Mike Shipley

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This is a critical part, especially for the "pitchless yells" like def leppard or any modern sleaze rock

https://audio-assault.com/xctr.php

Or some similar, but I have found this to be the best for me, even over the actual dolby units
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #11
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Why does the Chorus section to Hear N Aid - We’re Stars come to mind?
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #12
d. gauss

bon jovi "Bad medicine" is probably a good example. i've done this alot. a whole lot. as mentioned above, varying distances can be your friend. ymmv, but here's how i do it:

1-do three or four takes of the shout. if there's a lead vocal that happens at same time as shouts, i do 4 takes, 2 panned hard left, 2 panned right. if it is only the shouts that happen at that point of the song, i do 3 takes panned L R and center.

2-do three or four more takes, this time farther off mic. either distance and/or on edge of the mics pickup pattern. pan as above

3-in reaper, slider the master pitch fader on the transport down one half step. -6%

4. repeat steps 1 and 2. (this is the beatles trick as it changes the timbre of your voice.)

5 in reaper, slider the master pitch fader on the transport up one half step. +6%

6. repeat steps 1 and 2

7. return project pitch back to normal

8. group all the tracks on a stereo fader and add verb/eq/compression etc to the whole group as a whole, not individually.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 PM   #13
Rich_S

This reminds me an original I recorded with a couple of friends back in the actual '80s. When we played live, the lead singer followed the one of the refrains with a breathy, muttered "Hey, hey, hey." In the studio, however, we decided that we should take that hey, hey, hey and run with it; i.e. it needed a whole mob shouting it together. In our case, we had a mob of three: me (guitarist/producer/engineer) and the two girl singers.

We were working on a Tascam 246 4-track and I can't for the life of me remember the details of how we overdubbed the gang vocals. There must have been a blank spot on one of the instrumental tracks that we could use to bounce the vocals back and forth. The gang vocal part was at most two seconds long.

I should also mention that our "studio" was the singer's older sister's bedroom, abandoned when the sister went off to college. And so it went, the three of us yelling "Hey, hey hey!" every few minutes, except that after a few practice runs and a couple good takes, the singer's Mom came upstairs to tell us she couldn't stand it any more, and we had to stop. I don't know many takes we actually committed to tape, but it still sounded pretty good.
Rich_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
modern sleaze rock
I didn't know the exact genre before. Thanks for that!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote