Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
n997
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to show MIDI note names and velocities at smaller zoom?

Problem:
In MIDI editor/piano roll, MIDI note names and velocity values are shown only when note height is 12 or more pixels (3rd vertical zoom level if clicking - and + buttons below scrollbar, or 8th if using PGUp and PGDown).

My use case requires seeing as much of MIDI content as possible, to compare notes of different instruments, see keyswitches and so on.
For this, 8px note height (2nd or 4th zoom step) is sufficient. But at this zoom, MIDI note names and velocities are not visible.

The reason of course is that font resolution gets very small at 8px height. However, on both scaled and non-scaled displays, the C1, C2 etc. and custom names on piano roll keys are still visible even at 8px note height - and even though font size is small, it is helpful.

So, I'm looking for a way to also show note names and velocities when note height is 8px.
I'm OK with editing theme config files, .ini files, registry, and anything non-binary (aka plain text), and might attempt hex editing if required.

If none of that can help, this is a feature request
Attached Images
File Type: gif show note names at 8px height.gif (9.5 KB, 235 views)
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
Oleq

Default +1

And aren't the zoom levels of 11, 10 and 9 px available?
Oleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleq View Post
And aren't the zoom levels of 11, 10 and 9 px available?
They are (through PGUp and PGDown keys and by dragging on line between + and - below vertical scrollbar) but also don't have note names nor velocities visible.

8 pixel note height is, as far as I've tested, minimum that's actually usable for inputting notes via mouse or a pen/stylus. It's also a decent compromise for having about 7-8 octaves (and velocity lane) visible when MIDI editor is maximized on a 1080 pixel high display.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Oleq

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
They are (through PGUp and PGDown keys and by dragging on line between + and - below vertical scrollbar).
Thanks.
Oleq is offline   Reply With Quote