Old 05-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default George Harrison anyone?

Since I don't have a reasonably engaged audience anywhere else, here's my latest exercise.

I'd love to know what you all think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bflz44l5le...%2023.wav?dl=0
Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
sammydix

Love this song, as with most of All Things. As far as the mix, I think the drums could be tighter and more prominent. The vocals are somewhat pitchy and sound rushed. I think both could be tamed by slowing down a bit and flow with the music--which by the way is best part of this. Guitars sound good and the bass is played well, but could be a little deeper. But overall I still like it. Pulls me more toward the Russel version than the George version, though. I'm sure because of the vocals.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
kirk1701

Good notes.

Could you be a bit more specific about pitchiness? Which bits are particularly pitchy to your ear?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
sammydix

I'm not trying to be rude or funny, but pretty much most of the vocs. The harmony parts are good though.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
msundh

I have to agree on all that Sammy said, good and bad.
You have a great voice though.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
kirk1701

I appreciate everyone's criticism. Not offended at all.

I'm not thrilled (would would be?), but it's something I can work on.

I will admit (as I have before) that singing on mic is intimidating to me. I have a background as a classical actor, so I know how to breathe etc. This is all in a live, unmiked situation. So the mic is a new skill to me.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
benf

Really appreciate your cover. Harrison songs are so complex.
As already said, the drumming need to be set up.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #8
sammydix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
I appreciate everyone's criticism. Not offended at all.

I'm not thrilled (would would be?), but it's something I can work on.

I will admit (as I have before) that singing on mic is intimidating to me. I have a background as a classical actor, so I know how to breathe etc. This is all in a live, unmiked situation. So the mic is a new skill to me.
I think that's where I'm getting that "rushed" feel. And I don't mean too fast as opposed to just not quite flowing with the feel of the music. From what I hear, it won't be long until you feel more comfortable. It's not like you can't sing. As stated, you don't have a bad voice, it's just the "feel" wasn't working (for me). George sings with a lot of emotion (particularly on this song), so it stood out since this was a remake. Just re-direct your acting training over to voice.

Last edited by sammydix; 05-25-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
barrymk

Just a few thoughts, take them for what you will, but due to the limitations of my own voice I spend a lot of time establishing the best key for my vocals as opposed to trying to fit my voice to a particular key. In places your vocal sounds somewhat strained to my ears. I also find that frequent repetition of the vocal steadily increases my familiarity with the song (even those I've written) and I can tailor my breathing and inflection much more effectively to give a performance rather than a reading. The more takes of the full song that you record, the more comfortable you become.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Really appreciate your cover. Harrison songs are so complex.
As already said, the drumming need to be set up.
I don't follow you on drumming "set up"? Are they too far back in the mix? Muffled? Muddy?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
benf

I'm french and maybe I didn't use the right verb. I wanted to say it's not placed. You should quantize the whole drumming imho.

Regarding your way of singing and your voice, I totally agree with sammydix.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #12
kirk1701

Quote:
I'm french and maybe I didn't use the right verb. I wanted to say it's not placed. You should quantize the whole drumming imho.

Regarding your way of singing and your voice, I totally agree with sammydix.
I'm Canadian; I understand French.

You mean it's not in time? It's ahead or behind the beat? Cymbals or snare? Kick?

I think I know what you're hearing: the shaker is a bit ahead of the hi-hat. It throws the equilibrium off the entire percussion section. I'll have to fix that.

Last edited by kirk1701; 05-27-2019 at 10:30 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
I think that's where I'm getting that "rushed" feel. And I don't mean too fast as opposed to just not quite flowing with the feel of the music. From what I hear, it won't be long until you feel more comfortable. It's not like you can't sing. As stated, you don't have a bad voice, it's just the "feel" wasn't working (for me). George sings with a lot of emotion (particularly on this song), so it stood out since this was a remake. Just re-direct your acting training over to voice.
I follow you. This song is a sermon. George was preaching in the most positive sense.

I'm not trying to recreate that. I'm coming at it from the perspective of having experienced the "darkness," as spoken about in the lyrics. That's obviously not coming through, however. I must try again.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
benf

Puisque tu es canadien, je vais m'exprimer en français alors. ça sera plus simple...

A l'écoute de ton morceau, le manque de mise en place de la batterie m'a vraiment perturbé.

J'ai bien réécouté et je pense qu'une bonne part de ce sentiment est dû à la grosse caisse, mais je ne suis pas sûr qu'une fois que celle-ci aura été calée, il n'y aura pas d'autres éléments de la batterie à quantifier également.

Sans être un fou de précision rythmique, je pense que si la batterie n'est pas raisonablement en place, c'est l'ensemble du morceau qui en souffre.

Je ne sais pas comment tu as enregistré, mais je te conseille d'écouter ta partie de batterie en solo avec un clic pour comprendre mon sentiment. Si tu as enregistré en MIDI, il devrait être facile de tout recaler. Si c'est de l'audio, ça risque d'être plus compliqué, mais pas impossible.

Concernant ta voix, je trouve qu'elle est très agréable à écouter, que tu chante juste et que tu ne devrais pas te déconsidérer à ce sujet.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
kirk1701

Quote:
Puisque tu es canadien, je vais m'exprimer en français alors. ça sera plus simple...

A l'écoute de ton morceau, le manque de mise en place de la batterie m'a vraiment perturbé.

J'ai bien réécouté et je pense qu'une bonne part de ce sentiment est dû à la grosse caisse, mais je ne suis pas sûr qu'une fois que celle-ci aura été calée, il n'y aura pas d'autres éléments de la batterie à quantifier également.

Sans être un fou de précision rythmique, je pense que si la batterie n'est pas raisonablement en place, c'est l'ensemble du morceau qui en souffre.

Je ne sais pas comment tu as enregistré, mais je te conseille d'écouter ta partie de batterie en solo avec un clic pour comprendre mon sentiment. Si tu as enregistré en MIDI, il devrait être facile de tout recaler. Si c'est de l'audio, ça risque d'être plus compliqué, mais pas impossible.

Concernant ta voix, je trouve qu'elle est très agréable à écouter, que tu chante juste et que tu ne devrais pas te déconsidérer à ce sujet.
Merci!

Je te comprends de la grosse caisse. Quand Ringo joue sur l'album, je n'ecoute pas.

Je n'étais pas sûr à propos de ça. Bon remarque!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:53 AM   #16
benf

Ringo is the kind of drummer who doesn't care to be in front. He knows what he has to play and just plays it, and just that. So, in many songs, if you don't pay attention to the drumming, you don't hear it. But if he's not there, he lacks...
Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
kirk1701

Quote:
Ringo is the kind of drummer who doesn't care to be in front. He knows what he has to play and just plays it, and just that. So, in many songs, if you don't pay attention to the drumming, you don't hear it. But if he's not there, he lacks...
Agreed. I had trouble even making out a kick drum on the record. I listened really carefully.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #18
Timothy Lawler

I enjoyed listening.

I agree with Sammy's comments about vocal pitch.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
I enjoyed listening.

I agree with Sammy's comments about vocal pitch.
Thanks! I think I've sorted the vocal pitch/tone issues. It's changed the mix slightly, so I'm just working out the kinks.