Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #81
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Unfortunately the difference in format is too big...
It is going to be significant effort to support such old format,
I see three options:
1) support what I can from the project you have sent, that means:
tracks with clips (audio and MIDI), tempo map, markers. But in particular: NO routing (no buses, sends, etc), NO FXes/SoftSynth.
2) we can try to work together to find missing parts. I will need more projects, probably some special projects (you will need running Sonar for that).
3) we declare that format "too old" for the conversion. You still can install Sonar 8+ to get the data into Reaper.

What you think?
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #82
jico27

dear azslow3,

Many thanks for your implication in helping me.
Unfortunately, as i said above, Sonar 8 is no more installed on my pc and i really can't reinstall it.
But your first solution would probably suit all my desires, that is to say mainly tracks (audio and midi), even tempo maps and markers.
It doesn't matter if i don't find the original FXs or Synths, because the ones i use today are no longer the same as those i used 15 or 20 years ago.
And it doesn't really impact the composition itself.
So thanks for this unexpected support of yours.
I suppose it will do for all my old projects.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon

Regards

Last edited by jico27; 03-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 AM   #83
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
dear azslow3,
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon
Regards
I have uploaded b40. I was able to get your project loaded with it.

WARNING: your project has absolute path to audio files, be careful when playing with conversion, if files are really on the drive G:, Reaper can think they are under its control

For already explained reason, converted are:
* tempo map
* markers (absolute markers can be wrong, I have not found frame rate)
* audio clips (stretched clips can be wrong, I have not found corresponding info)
* MIDI clips

NO mixing parameters, no FXes, no envelopes, no routing, project assumed to be 44100.
So, it is more then MIDI+WAV export/import, but much less then for "modern" (less then 10 years old) Sonars.

It can happened that some other projects still can not be loaded. In this case just upload another example (CWP only, no Audio) and send me the link (in PM).
Old 03-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #84
jico27

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I have uploaded b40. I was able to get your project loaded with it.

WARNING: your project has absolute path to audio files, be careful when playing with conversion, if files are really on the drive G:, Reaper can think they are under its control

For already explained reason, converted are:
* tempo map
* markers (absolute markers can be wrong, I have not found frame rate)
* audio clips (stretched clips can be wrong, I have not found corresponding info)
* MIDI clips

NO mixing parameters, no FXes, no envelopes, no routing, project assumed to be 44100.
So, it is more then MIDI+WAV export/import, but much less then for "modern" (less then 10 years old) Sonars.

It can happened that some other projects still can not be loaded. In this case just upload another example (CWP only, no Audio) and send me the link (in PM).
Dear Azslow, you make my day...
Thanks again for the great work and your help.
YES ! Version b40 can open nearly all of my old projects.
Audio and midi came properly. Tempo is perfect.
All i miss is just the name of FXs & Instr. so that i could know what to put instead.
But it's already a big pleasure to open these old things.
I'm trying to make a list of what doesn't work sometimes and i'll let you know if we can think of something better.

Regards
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #85
BobF

Alexey - first, let me say thank you for implementing this functionality. I have finally tested it, and was able to quite easily get a SONAR project converted to Reaper that has failed all prior attempts.

The project functions 100% upon opening. However ...
The converted project structure is more complicated than it needs to be. I've read the thread at your site, but I'm still not certain if these side effects are intended. If they are, I'm still happy. If not, then maybe your conversion routine can be simplified.

Here's the scenario:
In SONAR I have a standard Instrument Track; separate MIDI & audio/VSTi tracks. The audio/VSTi track has a volume automation envelope.

The resulting Reaper project has a Synth Rack folder that contains the audio/VSTi track, which is also a folder that contains the MIDI track. This MIDI track has Parent Send disabled, and an explicit send to its parent instead. Additionally, the audio/VSTi track has Parent Send disabled, with an explicit Send to another audio track that has the volume automation.

The most straight-forward approach, with or without the Synth Rack Folder, would be to have the VSTi, MIDI item(s) and automation all on the same track.

The source project is in SONAR Platinum.

The above is the same for multiple VSTi; 2 instances of SampleTank 3 and 2 instances of Rap Pro.

There are other oddities, but I thought I would start with just one.

If it will help, I can copy the project and reduce to a single VSTi with no other tracks in SONAR, then convert/load into Reaper and provide both project files to you.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #86
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
The project functions 100% upon opening. However ...
The converted project structure is more complicated than it needs to be. I've read the thread at your site, but I'm still not certain if these side effects are intended. If they are, I'm still happy. If not, then maybe your conversion routine can be simplified.
The following "side effects" are intended. Some parts can be simplified... but only from your perspective. For converter side, I have to write quite complicated "project simplification" functions for that

But let me explain in details:
Quote:
Here's the scenario:
In SONAR I have a standard Instrument Track; separate MIDI & audio/VSTi tracks. The audio/VSTi track has a volume automation envelope.
If I understand your correctly, you sometimes use Instrument Tracks and sometimes separate MIDI/synth track. Right?

Quote:
The resulting Reaper project has a Synth Rack folder that contains the audio/VSTi track, which is also a folder that contains the MIDI track. This MIDI track has Parent Send disabled, and an explicit send to its parent instead. Additionally, the audio/VSTi track has Parent Send disabled, with an explicit Send to another audio track that has the volume automation.
In Sonar you always have the Synth Rack. It is not a part of the track view, but it is there. In most cases it is a "separate thing", Synth is not a part of any FX chain, not even when "Instrument" tracks are used (an exception I will mention later).

That separation influence the signal routing, it is not just a "visual effect" (like track folders).

Think about multiple MIDI tracks routed to one synth which in turn is routed to several Synth tracks (multi-out synth).

Reaper has no separate Synth Rack. But I have to map all variations of the signal flow, that means I need a replacement, separated from MIDI and Synth (outputs) tracks. In Reaper everything is a track. So I have made a track called "Synth Rack", just as a placeholder (without signal routing at all).

I agree that in particular setups (f.e. one synth, one MIDI input and one output), the structure can be "optimized away". But that requires the optimization procedure which do that (for each particular case). I hope you can understand now why the "simplification" of the project structure means complication for the converter.

Reaper default behavior is to bind the signal flow to the project structure. If you put a track into a folder, its output is set to this folder. Converter in general follow that idea, putting tracks/buses into output buses/AUX tracks.

But Sonar users can be unhappy with that "big tree" result, especially if they was working in "flat" framework before. Also in Sonar the position of a strip was never influencing the signal flow. Such users may want to revert the project structure into flat or just move tracks around for mixing convenience. With default Reaper approach, they will immediately hit a problem: the signal flow will be changed after moving tracks.
So I have decided to stay in "two worlds", creating Reaper like structure but making all routing explicitly fixed. So moving tracks around is not influencing the signal flow (as in Sonar).

That allows you f.e. move MIDI tracks from synth to the corresponding bus/folder/sub-folder near synth output track by just dragging it into correct place. A big project structure can be completely reorganized in a minute, for particular taste. And the project will still sound correctly.

Quote:
The most straight-forward approach, with or without the Synth Rack Folder, would be to have the VSTi, MIDI item(s) and automation all on the same track.
About the "exception" I have mentioned before. Sonar in fact almost support the "straight-forward" approach, but it was not thought for Synthes and rarely used with them. To support MIDI input for FXes, Sonar support putting them into FX bin but allowing them to be "a synth". Technically speaking such FXes are Synth. Unlike pure synth, they use input audio in addition to input MIDI. But technically VST have audio input, even in case they are synth pure. Some plug-ins have such duality, they can generate sound from MIDI but also can use input audio.

Such case is special in Sonar. Such "Synth" is still shown in the Synth rack, but it can not have separate synth output track(s).

And I convert such synth use case specially, by putting it into the original track, where it was in Sonar (but not into synth rack), and putting corresponding MIDI track(s) in the near.

I mean "straight-forward" case in Sonar is converted as "straight-forward". But it is important to understand that this case is different from usual Sonar Synth processing.

Quote:
There are other oddities, but I thought I would start with just one.
If there are real oddities, I will try to eliminate them. Or explain why they are there. So please do not hesitate to ask.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #87
BobF

Quote:
If I understand your correctly, you sometimes use Instrument Tracks and sometimes separate MIDI/synth track. Right?
No. I NEVER used Simple Instrument Tracks in SONAR because Inst Tracks get hidden in the console if you choose to hide MIDI tracks.

The other oddity is with a SONAR project that has its OUT routed to another bus, that is then routed to hardware OUTs

I do this so that the other bus can contain monitoring FX and serve as a project monitoring volume control.

The end result is that the final bus becomes a folder in Reaper that contains everything that is not in the Synth Rack folder.

All of this can be untangled, so for the purpose of getting a project from SONAR to Reaper, I think your tool is great as is.

Thanks again
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #88
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
No. I NEVER used Simple Instrument Tracks in SONAR because Inst Tracks get hidden in the console if you choose to hide MIDI tracks.
But in this case in Sonar you always have:
* MIDI track
* Synth output track
* Synth in the Synth Rack
I mean for you the number of "things" does not change after the conversion (just the position).

Quote:
The other oddity is with a SONAR project that has its OUT routed to another bus, that is then routed to hardware OUTs

I do this so that the other bus can contain monitoring FX and serve as a project monitoring volume control.

The end result is that the final bus becomes a folder in Reaper that contains everything that is not in the Synth Rack folder.
Yes, I also have almost the whole projects inside the "Master bus". But that is how the signal is routed in the project, so I do not see that as "odd". While I could optimize "Master bus" into Reaper "Master", I (and I guess other) sometimes have the second bus "Headphones", with extra FXes and different hardware output. And in this case the optimization will not work.

Quote:
All of this can be untangled, so for the purpose of getting a project from SONAR to Reaper, I think your tool is great as is.
Thanks again
There are still several big things which are not converted:
We (I and Cool) currently try to convert ProChannel EQ into ReaEQ (DAW project conversion by itself is a "new area", but converting one plug-in into another preserving the sound is yet another "new area")
Comping/take lanes and archived tracks are pending.
MIDI track properties (channel, bank, patch).
May be Sonar folders... I still have not decided, but for some projects that can be handy.
Not sure I proceed with Drum maps, so far there was no such request.
Looped audio is not properly converted when there are tempo changes (but also no explicit requests to fix).

Once/when/if all that is done, if there is still some interest, I will write some "optimizations".
Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #89
jonboper

Quote:
There are still several big things which are not converted:
We (I and Cool) currently try to convert ProChannel EQ into ReaEQ (DAW project conversion by itself is a "new area", but converting one plug-in into another preserving the sound is yet another "new area")
Comping/take lanes and archived tracks are pending.
MIDI track properties (channel, bank, patch).
May be Sonar folders... I still have not decided, but for some projects that can be handy.
This is...astounding in its ambition. The ProChannel EQ doesn't even resemble the ReaEQ, does it?

I don't think you're (you, Cool, whoever else) getting enough credit for this, especially over on the Sonar forum. When in the history of DAWs have you been able to convert a complicated, full-blooded project from one format to another, preserving everything a user could reasonably hope? If it exists I've never come across it. I see this as a very unique opportunity to preserve or resurrect projects from a doomed (personal opinion, recent developments don't change the feeling) piece of software. I think you've created a real opportunity for people here.
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #90
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
This is...astounding in its ambition. The ProChannel EQ doesn't even resemble the ReaEQ, does it?
These EQs are different. But for Bells things look promising. Current version does the conversion already, we work to improve the quality (so that the sound is the same, which is much more challenging then just make the same parameter values).

Quote:
When in the history of DAWs have you been able to convert a complicated, full-blooded project from one format to another, preserving everything a user could reasonably hope? If it exists I've never come across it.
Yes, till someone has an example, that is the first complex DAW projects converter ever made
It may be not so important between each DAWs it does the conversion, but important is the fact such conversion is possible. Who knows, may be that precedent can motivate DAW producers to finally allow users to exchange not only WAVs/MIDI and sometime containers like OMF, but also FX chains, complete automations and other common information. At least they no longer can claim "such converters do not exist, that is impossible" when users asks for the feature.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #91
azslow3

We (I and Cool, without him that could not happened...) have tuned parameters of ReaEQ as far as we could to match QuadEQ.
Only one QuadEQ mode (Hybrid) is covered and there are some limits (see docs), but that is an attempt to:
replace one plug-in with another, matching resulting sound
I see it as TDR for more wide use case: imagine when you replace an EQ/Comp in FX chain with another EQ/Comp, this new plug-in is automatically set to match the previous one...

It will be interesting to know what other think how successful we are
Alpha 3 is uploaded.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #92
rluka

Thanks for the latest update!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #93
David C

Thanks so much for this! I'm exploring some old Sonar 8.5 projects and it's great to be able to do so!
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #94
Musicology

Hello!

Thanks ! I try, it's perfect !
Musicology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #95
Chris74

Hi azslow3,

Thousands of thanks for developing this great tool and sharing it with us here! :-D
I have Sonar 4 and 7 installed here - if you like I could do some tests/debugging against these versions, just let me know.
Anyway, keep up that cool work on this tool :-)

cheers
Chris
Chris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #96
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Wow man, awesome stuff !
This can draw alot (more?) ex Sonar users to Reaper
did you mean [S]ex Bonar users?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #97
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
Hi azslow3,

Thousands of thanks for developing this great tool and sharing it with us here! :-D
I have Sonar 4 and 7 installed here - if you like I could do some tests/debugging against these versions, just let me know.
Anyway, keep up that cool work on this tool :-)

cheers
Chris
I am glad you have found the plug-in useful. Thanks!

I think reasonable way to covert very old projects is to re-save them using Cakewalk by Bandlab.

If something does not work as expected, I can only investigate under X1...CbB since I do not have older version. I can try to guess and that has worked for many elements, but not for all.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 AM   #98
Chris74

It seems Reaper has randomly problems here with loading the converted projects.
This only happened yet in Reaper x86, the x64 version loads the project without problems (okay, some DX plugins are missing then, but that's a different story).

Here's the entry from Windows event log:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: reaper.exe, Version: 5.9.2.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5b2adf3b
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: Battery 3.dll, Version: 3.2.3.637, Zeitstempel: 0x4e4b9f8f
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0060f836
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x244c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d40fe59fb5999f
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\audio\REAPER\reaper.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: d:\audio\steinberg\vstplugins\Battery 3.dll
Berichtskennung: 385de9ee-3757-4b92-bc94-17815894b3f8
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

I first though that this crash is connected to Battery 3 as it is listed in the event log but it seems that this is in fact the last correctly scanned plugin. It seems like the real cause of the crash doesn't get it through to the event log at all.

All I have in addition is a screen shot: https://ibb.co/d97vCJ
While taking this screenshot I have renamed the Battery DLL, normaly it is not displayed as not available.
Sometime there are multiple error-windows from MSVC runtime.

This only happens with the x86 version of reaper here but also with older releases. I tried with 5.80 and it also crashes.

The original project file was from Sonar 7 x86.

OS is Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1709, build 16299.492

Please let me know what I can do to hunt the bug or provide more informations.

Thanks.
Chris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #99
azslow3

Crashes after converter in general can be produced by (sorted by likelihood):
1) crashes in plug-ins, there are 2 cases:
1.a) plug-in is in general unstable in REAPER. It is known that some old DX plug-ins (f.e. Sonitus compressor) are crash prone, from experience sometimes 32/64 bit dependent
1.b) I incorrectly convert plug-in preset and that course the crash (can be for any plug-in)
2) I incorrectly convert some general structure and that produce troubles in REAPER.

For 1 (a and b) please try to localize the plug-in(s).
If you can not get project loaded at all (it crashes once the conversion is finished, in 32 and 64 REAPER), install "portable" REAPER, without specifying VST pathes. Also in "Plug-ins, Rewire/DX" unset "Enable DX plug-ins".
In case REAPER still crash, that is (2). Send me original CWP (see later) and I will take care.

Once you can save converted RPP, you can start lengthy (sorry) procedure to identify the problem. By removing plug-ins from the project and loading in REAPER version which originally crash, till it stop crashing.

Once the plug-in is identified:
* if you can not instantiate the plug-in in REAPER at all, also in not converted project, that is (1.a) for sure.
* if in some REAPER plug-in works, but stably crash after conversion, that is probably (1.b)
* if plug-in loads in converted project, but with incorrect preset (may be crashing later), that can be (1.b)
* if plug-in loads in converted project, with correct preset, but crash later, that is probably 1.a

Then:
* for 1.a cases, you will need to avoid the plug-in in reaper. "Options/Show REAPER resource path...", edit (in text editor) reaper-dxplugins.ini and set "Load=0" for the plug-in (DX). Bad VSTs you can simply remote from REAPER VST path (also possible to disable in corresponding ini)
* for 1.b and 2, please upload the project in question, with observation and the link, in PM. Please upload CWP file only (no audio) to some "safe" place. Note that if you publish the link here in the forum, EVERYONE can download it (probably not what you want, till that is a test project). For all plug-ins I do not have (majority) I will ask you to create special projects, one in Sonar and one in REAPER, each with plug-in on one track with exactly the same preset selected. But many plug-ins have demo versions, so I will be able to do everything myself. So I will ask explicitly when that is required.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #100
dmorris

Default Mostly successful import

This is an amazing tool!

I just used it to import a medium-complicated project from what I believe was Sonar X1, and the import was mostly successful. Here's what worked:

1) All audio tracks imported correctly

2) Track structure (buses, sends/receives) imported correctly

2) Clip structure on all tracks (audio and MIDI) imported correctly

3) Volume envelopes, pan envelopes, and track volumes, imported correctly

4) Markers imported correctly

5) Audio plugins imported correctly... only three audio plugins were in use; two imported without issue, and the third was not installed, so I got a very clear error message.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that didn't work was:

1) VSTi's didn't seem to import at all, nor did I get errors about them. The MIDI tracks previously attached to VSTi's, after import, have sends directly to audio tracks. The VSTi's were pretty straightforward, specifically EZDrummer (two tracks) and NI B4 II (one track), with no complicated MIDI filters or other advanced Sonar MIDI features.

I did get a message saying "6 parser bugs", but I can't find a log file with more details, and I'm not sure whether that's related to the VSTi issue.

Any other information I can provide to help debug VSTi import? Happy to write code to help track the issue down.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a Sonar installation, but if it's helpful, I can install a Sonar free trial to better understand the original project structure.

I'm attaching the .cwp file in question.

Thanks! Amazing work!

-Dan

http://dmorris.net
Attached Files
File Type: zip bluebird.zip (74.2 KB, 537 views)
dmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #101
azslow3

I guess it is generated by Sonar 7.

The "placeholder" for synthes are there ("Synth rack" folder after the conversion), but related MIDI tracks are "misplaced" in the structure and synthes are not resurrected at all, that I have to fix (I guess the bug is triggered by frozen synthes).

I will let you know when I manage to improve the conversion using this example (not next days, I hope around the end of the next week).

PS. You can open all old projects in the latest Sonar, which is now called "Cakewalk by Bandlab": https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
They have made the latest Sonar Platinum engine (without most plug-ins) completely free to use (not a trial).
Note that it is huge installation compare to REAPER and hard to clean completely after un-installing.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 AM   #102
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN

Default reaper wants a.....

chord track like cubase and logic and s1 and......
MEHRZAD-TUNGSTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #103
dmorris

Default Re: bandlab

Thanks for the pointer to Bandlab... it was able to open the .cwp file (though it did a worse job than Reaper finding plugins), but FWIW, when I save it again from Bandlab (presumably in the most up-to-date .cwp format), I get the same result on import to Reaper via reacwp. That is, everything works great except VSTi's, which are silently not imported.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help debug!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #104
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
Thanks for the pointer to Bandlab... it was able to open the .cwp file (though it did a worse job than Reaper finding plugins), but FWIW, when I save it again from Bandlab (presumably in the most up-to-date .cwp format), I get the same result on import to Reaper via reacwp. That is, everything works great except VSTi's, which are silently not imported.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help debug!
I have analyzed the file. And you really can help, but not at the place you may think (see later).

Please download the latest update (b53) of the plug-in. There will be less parsing bugs (I have really wrongly interpreted one structure), but there is no changes otherwise.
  • VSTi are really converted. But there is one general misleading feature in REAPER which let you (and even me at first look) think something was wrong: in the original project your synths was frozen. And they are converted as frozen. The problem is that REAPER does not indicate that visually. So, you can unfreeze corresponding tracks in REAPER (per synth 2 tracks: (1) the synth output audio track, currently with rendered audio AND (2) the synth track itself inside SynthRack folder). If you do so, you will see VSTi in the FX list of unfrozen SynthRack track (and rendered audio will be removed from audio output track).
    The reason why the structure is so complicated you can find in the documentation on my site (in short, I have not found better approach to cover all possible in Sonar cases)
  • 2 MIDI tracks are left not associated with corresponding Synth. You are using Drum Map. There is no such feature in REAPER, so it is not converted.
  • more "Parser Bugs" was coming from ClipFXes on some MIDI clips. For MIDI FX Sonar support MFX format only and it is not supported by REAPER. Note that I currently do not covert ClipFXes at all. For MFXes that make no big sense, while for Audio that can be done (if someone request that, is not the case so far).
  • there is still one Parser error (the warning is related) and here you can help. It is coming from "Waves C4 Mono" VST preset, which is saved in a format I have not observed before. Please:
    • make a one track REAPER project and add "Waves C4 Mono" FX into it. Select some preset, save the project and upload it somewhere I can get it.
    • If you can do the same in CbB, so give me CWP project with one track and "Waves C4 Mono" on it, better with the same preset selected, that will help even more.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #105
dmorris

Default confirmed, vsti's exist

Good catch! Yes, I can confirm VSTi's are where they're supposed to be, and that track freezing is one of few places where Reaper's UI let me down a little.

I sent you a private message @ azslow.com with links to sample files in CbB and Reaper that just host a preset on Waves C4 Mono.

Thanks!

-Dan
Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #106
poetnprophet

Dear azslow. All I can say is THANK YOU. I have tried a few projects for the first time, and they all opened very well. Although there are some things that need adjustment, it is incredible to be able to do even open and play cross platform projects. I know you come from Cakewalk, and you have done us CW users a giant favor.

It will be a while before I can really delve into this to see if there's anything I can contribute to help make this better, but for now I am very pleased to have this ability.

Cheers dude!

Dave
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #107
azslow3

Thanks!
Please note that future development depends on particular needs. I mean if you see that something is not converted and wish it is, let me know. Complex things can take some time to fix.

For previous post. I hit the problem converting "Waves C4 Mono". And the problem it is not the same as current "C4 mono", even CbB can not recognize it. As the consequence, I do not know how to test the conversion.
Such problems will be indicated as a "Parser bug" + "Warning". If someone see the same with other plug-ins (especially free/still possible to get), that can help. Probably that are rather old VST2 format plug-ins with some no longer widely used presets schema.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #108
vanceen

I would like to add my thanks as well. I was a long time Cakewalk and SONAR user (since v.1 for DOS - I think it was 1988).

Your contribution makes it so much easier to convert all my old projects. Well done.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #109
Musicianaire

@azslow3, your forum security question is not friendly. I have no clue "Which program class (3 characters) is used to create a music on computers?" I am not a programmer, I have no reason to know this.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #110
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianaire View Post
@azslow3, your forum security question is not friendly. I have no clue "Which program class (3 characters) is used to create a music on computers?" I am not a programmer, I have no reason to know this.
I have answered on CW forum already. But I have specially checked:
"Class": "A group, collection, category or set sharing characteristics or attributes"

Programming has adopted that word, but in my question it is used as original, not programming specific term.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #111
Musicianaire

Quote:
I have answered on CW forum already. But I have specially checked:
"Class": "A group, collection, category or set sharing characteristics or attributes"

Programming has adopted that word, but in my question it is used as original, not programming specific term.
Thank you. I have replied to you in the CW forum as well. Hopefully the confusion is cleared up for both of us now.

EDIT: Weird... my reply at CW isn't showing up. I keep trying but it doesn't post.

Last edited by Musicianaire; 11-17-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Musicianaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #112
AndrewFalcon

Unbelievable, never thinking this is possible.Thank you azslow3!
AndrewFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #113
emwhy

Some of you may know me from the SONAR/Bandlab forums. After revisiting a mix done on SONAR X2 this past week and having the program crash on me constantly (happens with a lot of big projects) I threw in the towel and decided to give this another whirl. I had used this .dll file to port over a lot of my older MIDI projects. This was the first time I've used it on a 50 plus track mix. I know Reaper well enough now to understand how this works with folders vs. buses etc. All I can say is THANK YOU! I had to reassemble some things due to missing plug-ins and plug-in chains from the Cakewalk Pro Channel, but that wasn't to difficult. But most importantly, 2 plus hours of work and ZERO crashes with Reaper. I've liked and used Cakewalk for years, still do at work. But the crashes and clunkiness with big projects was too much to take.
emwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #114
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwhy View Post
Welcome! For me, Reaper also became a replacement for Sonar. I tolerated Sonar for more than 10 years, and now it’s ridiculous to remember that his bugs, flaws and crashes were for me part of the normal workflow
Reaper rock solid, I hope you will not be disappointed.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #115
dug dog

This thing is wonderful.
Thanks, Azslow!
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:07 AM   #116
martmix

azslow3 do you think you can "translate" fx-chains-to-reaper ?
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 AM   #117
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
azslow3 do you think you can "translate" fx-chains-to-reaper ?
I think I can.

But do you really need that? If you have 100s of projects full of fx-chains, that it a reason. But if you have just several projects or more but with 1-2 chains in each, you can "unroll" them manually (in Bandlab Cakewalk in case you no longer have Sonar). It is just Right/left click per chain for you, but it will be quite some coding for me

EDIT: or do you want translate FX chain presets for Sonar to FX chain presets for REAPER?
Old 02-14-2020, 04:47 AM   #118
martmix

Quote:
I think I can.

But do you really need that? If you have 100s of projects full of fx-chains, that it a reason. But if you have just several projects or more but with 1-2 chains in each, you can "unroll" them manually (in Bandlab Cakewalk in case you no longer have Sonar). It is just Right/left click per chain for you, but it will be quite some coding for me

EDIT: or do you want translate FX chain presets for Sonar to FX chain presets for REAPER?
you are right on i dont need this(i can open a sonar cwp in reaper and
save fx-chain from there..

thank you mister azslow3

martin
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #119
pax-eterna

I'm about to install Linux on a brand new laptop - haven't even booted it to windows yet hahaha! And my plan is to use Reaper. My question is, can this tool convert my Sonar CWP's to Reaper using Linux?

Thanks
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:04 AM   #120
azslow3

Linux binary is mentioned in the installation instructions now.

But if you was using old Cakewalk plug-ins and you still have access to the installation media, it make sense to try Wine. CbB will not work under Wine, but REAPER will. And if plug-ins are installed, converted projects will be able to find and use them.