Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #41
Neenja
Human being with feelings

I'm noticing that some projects have problems looking in the "audio" folder that is in the project folder and it doesn't save to the project folder as default. Is there anything you can do to sort that out?
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #42
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I'm noticing that some projects have problems looking in the "audio" folder that is in the project folder and it doesn't save to the project folder as default. Is there anything you can do to sort that out?
Sonar has setting "Audio folder", that location is also saved in CWP. For me it is always ".\Audio" (I like it this way). I specify Reaper to look into that path (prefix "." is stripped, when found). The result you can check in the Reaper / Project Settings / Media.

If some combinations do not work correctly, I need an example to understand what I can change (the simplest way is to upload an example CWP WITHOUT audio files somewhere and PM me the link).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #43
bapu

Alexy,

What is new from b24 to b26?
bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #44
cool

bapu, hi! You may check the changelog: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,407.0.html
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #45
bapu

OK, got it. Yeah, markers are coming over. That is cool step.

Alexy,

My Greed-2.0.cwp I sent you is not getting any automation.

Examples:

Track 53 in SONAR (becomes track 70 in Reaper) has a pan that used to come over but is not now.

Track 19 in reaper (Keys Folder) which was bus G "Keys" in SONAR has a volume automation but did not come over.

Track 48 Vocal VCA (which is Buc C "Vocal VCA" in SONAR) has an automation for volume but it did not come over.

And finally "Master" in SONAR has bus volume and input gain automation but neither came over.

HTH.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #46
LourivalFranco

Default Great!

I left Sonar for REAPER, after using it since Cakewalk years. I still have so many stuff in wrk and cwp files. Now that Sonar is closing, your work is very important. I believe a great number of Sonar users will migrate to REAPER.

Thanks!
LourivalFranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:36 AM   #47
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapu View Post
My Greed-2.0.cwp I sent you is not getting any automation.
Sorry, I have got a bad cold. It has started to progress when I was writing b26 and I still can barely change my position from horizontal

Uploaded b27, should work better (if I have introduced less bugs then fixes).

Last edited by azslow3; 02-21-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Managed to update
Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #48
Kicksville

Dude!!! Don't know how I missed this when you first released the alpha.... I've got 20+ years of Sonar/ProAudio files sitting on my drives - when Gibson killed Cakewalk, I set up one computer as a legacy machine in case I need to revisit anything, but ReaCWP may save the day :-)

Dankeschön, Azslow!!!
Kicksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #49
azslow3

Since ALL (except MIDI...) automation envelopes should be converted by now (b31+ , test version), it will be nice in case someone can report how good all that works.
Note that volumes are still not "exact", +-1dB deviation can happened, especially in lower region (-14dB and more).
For FX/Synth parameters point values should be exact.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #50
rluka

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Since ALL (except MIDI...) automation envelopes should be converted by now (b31+ , test version), it will be nice in case someone can report how good all that works.
Note that volumes are still not "exact", +-1dB deviation can happened, especially in lower region (-14dB and more).
For FX/Synth parameters point values should be exact.
Downloaded and installed b31+
Running REAPER v5.76/x64 All volume automation envelopes on audio files were correct. I only used volume automation on this particular project so thats all I can report on.
Hope this helps
Ron L
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #51
azslow3

Thanks! Sure that helps. I have to split my time between converting more information and testing the result, in case the second task is done by someone else, I can spend more time for the first
Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #52
Freex

I had been using Sonar for nearly 20 years, looked around at what was out after Gibson tried to kill it off.
I've been lurking about here for a while now, seeing what's happening and I've had a bit of a play with Reaper.
I tried your Program*edit* *script (or whatever is the correct term)* on a dozen project files last night, ok so it wasn't laid out how I would like, (I'm not loving the folder track/channel, wish it was just a benign folder rather than an actual track) but beggar can't be choosers, and you have saved me a LOT of hassle and time, exporting and importing tracks.
First class my friend, gold stars all round.

Even with the news of Bandlab buying Cakewalk, I'm not bothered, I've found a new home, with so many amazing people, doing extraordinary things. And a community forum as helpful and passionate about Reaper as the Cakewalk's was, which is a huge thing in itself.

AWESOME WORK.

Last edited by Freex; 02-24-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #53
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post
I tred your script (or whatever is the correct term) on a dozen project files last night, ok so it wasn't laid out how I would like, (I'm not loving the folder track/channel, wish it was just a benign folder rather than an actual track) but beggar can't be choosers, and you have saved me a LOT of hassle and time, exporting and importing tracks.
First class my friend, gold stars all round.
Thanks!
And now comments:
1) ReaCWP is not a script. It is a (far from small) C program.
2) I have decided to "dive" Sonar users strait into Reaper cascading tracks approach. I understand that someone can find that odd, so I have done the whole routing by sends without master sends. That means all tracks can be reorganized arbitrary way, including "flat" or some dummy folders, without affecting the sound.
3) I am new in Reaper. And I am open for other approaches for everything, including resulting project structure. In case proposals are consistent, have transparent logic and do not interfere with some limitations coming from original projects.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #54
Freex

Quote:
Thanks!
And now comments:
1) ReaCWP is not a script. It is a (far from small) C program.
2) I have decided to "dive" Sonar users strait into Reaper cascading tracks approach. I understand that someone can find that odd, so I have done the whole routing by sends without master sends. That means all tracks can be reorganized arbitrary way, including "flat" or some dummy folders, without affecting the sound.
3) I am new in Reaper. And I am open for other approaches for everything, including resulting project structure. In case proposals are consistent, have transparent logic and do not interfere with some limitations coming from original projects.
So far your program has been flawless,(I kinda knew it was more than just a script)
I really appreciate the routing, as it allowed me to get rid of the folder tracks (as you have said) without any issues, and took about a minute tops.
I find no faults or issues in your approach, perfect and logical.
I personally would use track folders if I had the option to place them at the right hand side of my mixer, (personal choice / throw back to analogue desks) but only option within Reaper (afaik) is group to left, which is just plain wrong in my eyes.lol.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #55
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post
I personally would use track folders if I had the option to place them at the right hand side of my mixer, (personal choice / throw back to analogue desks) but only option within Reaper (afaik) is group to left, which is just plain wrong in my eyes.lol.
Sounds like a valid future request for me:
"Group folders to right"
"Group tracks that have receives to right"

That will move all submix and AUX buses to the "old fashion" position.

I do not think that breaks anything nor create confusion.

----
Note that current behavior is not "wrong" by itself. Folders in the TPC are logically on top. Top naturally maps to left when vertical layout is change to horizontal. So there is a strong logic behind (as for everything else in Reaper).
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #56
bapu

I'm not sure is this is a Reaper thing or a reacwp but I'm not always seeing both visual faders when a track has a volume and pre-fx volume automation.

Alexy, in my project I sent you, Master has both visual sliders but Keys only has the Volume fader, yet it too has a pre-fx volume automation.

There are a few other but that should be enough to go on.

Lastly, why do I not see movement of faders and automation faders when the project is playing?

I'm on b32.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #57
Freex

Quote:
Note that current behavior is not "wrong" by itself. Folders in the TPC are logically on top. Top naturally maps to left when vertical layout is change to horizontal. So there is a strong logic behind (as for everything else in Reaper).
Very true, but logic doesn't always prevail...(America/Guns/Teachers) lol

Although you have me thinking about actually embracing it rather than just dismissing it as "wrong". Maybe embrace is too strong a word, giving it a try lol.
Just need to rewiring my head to have FX and Buss on the left...It could make work on the MCU potentially faster.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #58
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapu View Post
I'm not sure is this is a Reaper thing or a reacwp but I'm not always seeing both visual faders when a track has a volume and pre-fx volume automation.

Alexy, in my project I sent you, Master has both visual sliders but Keys only has the Volume fader, yet it too has a pre-fx volume automation.

There are a few other but that should be enough to go on.
Keys also have both.
But I have decided to use different visualizations for 2 cases:
- "real" gain automation (f.e. on Master) is shown in a separate envelope lane
- gain envelope as a single value from "Input gain" knob is shown on the track itself
That serves 2 purpose:
1) clearly indicate that the "origin" for this envelope is different
2) reduct the number of "lanes" (f.e. all your "Jason Guitars" have not default input gain)

Quote:
Lastly, why do I not see movement of faders and automation faders when the project is playing?
Reaper default way to work with envelopes (explained in ReaCWP documentation...). Sonar a kind of support the same, but that is rarely used in it.
Faders in Reaper are by default in "Trim" mode. Make a lot of sense, taking into account how many "volume envelopes" Reaper support on one track ( "Take", "Pre-FX", "Volume", "Trim-Volume").
You can make them move in case you switch to "Read" mode and "Arm" corresponding envelope (may be making it armed by default is a good idea, but for safety I disarm during conversion).
That also make sense ( have you even moved a fader in Sonar with the transport stopped and then was wondering why the level is still the same? has happened for me many times...).
Old 02-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #59
Teunis

Default ReaCWP is brilliant however be aware of step sequence stuff

Hi, first of all let me say the program works better than I would have expected. I had a small issue in opening an old midi project that Session Drummer in it. The drums did not work. However, when I had a look the drums were still running from the Step Sequencer. Simply did a Bounce to Clips and all was fine.

It is a pity not all the Cakewalk plugins work but that is another issue. Whilst some things Sonar does easier there is a lot the Reaper does better.

My thoughts

Tony
Teunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:41 AM   #60
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teunis View Post
It is a pity not all the Cakewalk plugins work but that is another issue.
Is this due to licensing or due to technical reasons ? At least you did pay for them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teunis View Post
Whilst some things Sonar does easier there is a lot the Reaper does better
This is the shortest and most condensed form of similar statements we already read from Sonar fugitives .
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #61
azslow3

Dear friends, I have made the second alpha.

And as of now, active "automagic" new features are not going to be added. I mean in case someone really want something in addition to what is already there, please let be know.

If you spot a bug is conversion, that I am going to fix unconditionally. But new features will need some explanations from your side (there are many things which are just 1-2 clicks to "fix" after conversion bug quite difficult to do automatically, f.e. "MIDI Tools" as the replacement for MIDI Track parameters").
Old 03-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #62
jonboper

Quote:
Dear friends, I have made the second alpha.

You're amazing. Question: how does this deal with frozen tracks? In a lot of my Sonar projects I have many frozen tracks that may or may not have the effect rack enabled...do these settings translate?
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #63
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboper View Post
You're amazing. Question: how does this deal with frozen tracks? In a lot of my Sonar projects I have many frozen tracks that may or may not have the effect rack enabled...do these settings translate?
Not converted at the moment. I will check how hard it is.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #64
cool

Hi, Azslow3! Thanks again for the plugin, I'm happy every time I get a version with improvements. The plugin is developing and it's cool!
I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to force the plug-in when opening a new project to immediately search for audio files in the "Audio" folder near the project? Now, when I open a new project, I always look for the path manually, although it would seem that the folder is in the same place as the project file.

2. Is it possible to support *.omf files by the same principle? There like everything is much easier - without MIDI and without plug-ins. But I'm not a programmer and I can make a lot of mistakes in conclusions, lol. Such a project could receive tremendous support from the community.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:50 AM   #65
jico27

What i've been waiting for so long is finally happening with your plugin!
I think everybody agrees that it is an amazing contribution to the cakewalk/sonar/reaper community. I'm really grateful for this.
Thank you so much!

After a few tests with the latest version of cwpreaper, i can import successfully most of my projects created with sonar 8. But projects created with very earlier versions (from sonar2, 3, etc) are still problematic.
The error message is:
"something went completely wrong, sorry".
I suppose this is currently a normal behaviour. Will there be a compatibility for these old versions?

Regards
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #66
Neenja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico27 View Post
I think everybody agrees that it is an amazing contribution to the cakewalk/sonar/reaper community. I'm really grateful for this.
Thank you so much!

After a few tests with the latest version of cwpreaper, i can import successfully most of my projects created with sonar 8. But projects created with very earlier versions (from sonar2, 3, etc) are still problematic.
The error message is:
I suppose this is currently a normal behaviour. Will there be a compatibility for these old versions?

Regards
Open and save a copy in Sonar 8 if you have it installed.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #67
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
1. Is it possible to force the plug-in when opening a new project to immediately search for audio files in the "Audio" folder near the project? Now, when I open a new project, I always look for the path manually, although it would seem that the folder is in the same place as the project file.
Can you provide an example CWP (without audio files)?
When everything is fine, Reaper should be able to find files the same way as Sonar does that. But I could overseen something...

Quote:
2. Is it possible to support *.omf files by the same principle? There like everything is much easier - without MIDI and without plug-ins. But I'm not a programmer and I can make a lot of mistakes in conclusions, lol. Such a project could receive tremendous support from the community.
There is AATranslator for that. Note that it has much more realistic price for what it does then ReaCWP.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #68
azslow3

Quote:
Thank you so much!

The error message is:
Regards
I will need examples of failing files. I do not have pre X Sonars to test.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #69
jonboper

Quote:
Yeah, there was a big change between the earliest versions I had "Sonar XL" and Sonar 5. I had to use 5 to convert early projects to be opened up in later versions of Sonar if I remember correctly.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #70
jonboper

Quote:
Not converted at the moment. I will check how hard it is.
If this doesn't work that's okay, I'm amazed by your work on this as is. Maybe barring all options translating there could be some kind of "best practices" that describes the state of a project that will cleanly translate. Something like:

(for example only)
1. Unfreeze all tracks
2. Enable all FX and FX racks
3. Bounce slip-edited clips
etc.

Whatever the things are that make the project translate most directly. That way we can save a 'forTransfer' project that will look most how we expect when opening in Reaper.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #71
cool

Quote:
Can you provide an example CWP (without audio files)?
When everything is fine, Reaper should be able to find files the same way as Sonar does that. But I could overseen something...

There is AATranslator for that. Note that it has much more realistic price for what it does then ReaCWP.
Thank you! PM'ed
Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #72
Neenja

Quote:
Yeah, there was a big change between the earliest versions I had "Sonar XL" and Sonar 5. I had to use 5 to convert early projects to be opened up in later versions of Sonar if I remember correctly.
I had files that I assume were early Sonar files. They had a bunch of errors when I would open them. Opened in 8.5, saved, and then they were fine.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #73
azslow3

Quote:
If this doesn't work that's okay, I'm amazed by your work on this as is. Maybe barring all options translating there could be some kind of "best practices" that describes the state of a project that will cleanly translate. Something like:

(for example only)
1. Unfreeze all tracks
2. Enable all FX and FX racks
3. Bounce slip-edited clips
etc.

Whatever the things are that make the project translate most directly. That way we can save a 'forTransfer' project that will look most how we expect when opening in Reaper.
I would say:
1. avoid ProChannel / Filters
2. bounce region FX, step sequencer and AudioSnap

I am working with frozen tracks now, so it should somehow work soon. FXes and slip-edits should not be a problem already now (since the second alpha).

I think older CWP files should work in general, I just need examples. The problem is that I have no idea which parts of CWP files was introduced when. So I can assume some part is "essential", while the conversion can happened even without it. An examples can sort that out.

In general, examples of what is not working at all or works incorrectly is the only way to improve the conversion. Several early "alpha testers" have done a great job helping me.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:45 AM   #74
azslow3

Quote:
Please test b39 version. It should support frozen track conversion.

Note that when SoftSynth is frozen, corresponding track in the Synth Rack has no audio. Frozen audio is in the "target" track (originally synth track in Sonar). Unfreezing it does not automatically unfreeze corresponding synth (since there is no such connection in converted project). I have not found how that can be done better.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #75
jonboper

Quote:
Please test b39 version. It should support frozen track conversion.

Note that when SoftSynth is frozen, corresponding track in the Synth Rack has no audio. Frozen audio is in the "target" track (originally synth track in Sonar). Unfreezing it does not automatically unfreeze corresponding synth (since there is no such connection in converted project). I have not found how that can be done better.
This is working flawlessly for me so far. I tried a few projects with frozen tracks, slip-edited frozen tracks, and frozen synths. All worked as you described...As for unfreezing the synths, that's not an issue for me...just getting the rendered audio to come over is perfect.

This update makes good on any projects I have - fortunately never used the features that don't translate, except to just play around.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #76
jico27

Quote:
No, unfortunately, it is no more installed...
Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #77
azslow3

Quote:
No, unfortunately, it is no more installed...
Upload an example, and it (as well as other projects from the same Sonar version) with high probability can be converted. But without examples that will not happened. I can only fix what I can reproduce.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #78
jico27

Quote:
Upload an example, and it (as well as other projects from the same Sonar version) with high probability can be converted. But without examples that will not happened. I can only fix what I can reproduce.
Below, the dropbox link of one of my old projects
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fcyjkk6fi...9S4g_dH0a?dl=0

Thanks in advance
Old 03-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #79
azslow3

Thanks!

PLEASE DELETE THE LINK, in case you do not want make this project public domain

The structure is in fact a bit different. But there is a big chance I can support it. I will let you know when ready (not before tomorrow... it is late now).
Old 03-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #80
jico27

Quote:
Thanks!

PLEASE DELETE THE LINK, in case you do not want make this project public domain
Done!