Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Heartfelt
Human being with feelings

Default Stereo Bussing

OK, I am new to reaper.

In my old interface, I could take two mono sources and send them to a buss. While going there, they are panned 100% wide, L&R.

When they hit the buss, the buss has a pan and it is split 100% wide.

When I hit the mute on the Left Mono track, Left sound dissapears and vise versa with the right.

Example: Acoustic Guitar project... I recording it with a spaced pair and want to pan them wide. I want to buss them so I can stereo compress them and still pan them to 100R and 100L

IN REPAER...
The folder is mono and anything I send to it, is mono and has no ability to pan so I can't place things in their porper place for mixing. It always seems to get stuck in double mono.

Surely I am missing something... Can anyone help?

Last edited by Heartfelt; 03-05-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Heartfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
Baer

Take a second look. Reaper’s tracks, including folder tracks, are all stereo tracks unless you’ve defined them to have more than two track channels. There is no option for a mono track with only one track channel. (You can record a mono source, but in Reaper the mono source is recorded into both the left and right channels of the two channel track.) Every track, including folder tracks, has a pan control. And Reaper behaves the way you described that you want it.
Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Heartfelt

If that were true... that it behaves as i want it to...

When I have 2 mono audio tracks run through a folder. Both mono tracks are panned wide. When I mute the left, I still have audio in both speakers. That is not how panning is supposed to work. If my only audio source is panned right, even through a stereo buss, it should show only right. The exception would be that the folder converts it to mono.

I must be missing something.

Last edited by Heartfelt; 03-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Heartfelt

If there is a resource to read or watch, just let me know. I have research this for hours today trying to find a fix.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
When I have 2 mono audio tracks run through a folder. Both mono tracks are panned wide. When I mute the left, I still have audio in both speakers.
this doesn't happen here.

maybe you're using "post-fx" or "pre-fx" routing? then it doesn't work. make sure you use either "master/parent" send or "post-fader (post-pan)" routing for regular sends ...
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Heartfelt

Thanks for the replies.

I just tried with a different project and it worked. I don't know what the issue was with the previous but at least I know it works.

That is way cool for me as I edited for the first time in Reaper and got super excited. It was so freakin easy compared to PTLE. The pre-existing, dragable fades blew my mind.

Thanks guys. I am so close to shutting PTLE down.