Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister36 View Post
You can map the Group buttons if you want. The trade-off is that you lose the ability to have "pages" of pads (which is what the Groups buttons control by default - they're set up to span the octaves). You just have to disable the "Pad pages" in the Controller Editor. The Group buttons then become normal, assignable buttons like all the other buttons.

I didn't come here to correct you though! I found the thread through the repost on the Reaper Blog and was just intrigued by what you meant by "time-stretched looping" (in the opening to your OP). Were you just referring to individual audio items in REAPER when the transport loop is enabled?

Also, just wondering really, why do you find it so much better to use Maschine the way that you explain? To me, using MIDI mode to play Maschine as standard practice is a little counter-intuitive, especially as it seems you're setting up MIDI mode to essentially mirror the Maschine (control mode) pads.

However, with the easy access to the volume etc. for tracks will be preferable to some. There are just so many different ways to use this stuff together! It boggles the mind sometimes. I have different needs and purposes though, so I have the audio of each Group routed to different tracks in REAPER on which I put all Group effects that I control with MIDI mode and a Nanokontrol. I actually use the Group buttons to select the Groups/tracks, which the knobs and buttons in MIDI mode control the effects for e.g., in MIDI mode, press Group button A, the knobs and buttons control the effects on the track that Group A's audio is routed to.

Anyway, I've talked enough, sorry. Interesting to see how different people use Maschine, especially inside REAPER, though.
No worries man. Appreciate the tips.

What I meant by time-stretched looping is the stuff built into Reaper by default. Reaper's Media Explorer is basically a "loop browser" as you can import "acidized" loops by matching the project tempo before bringing them in. It's a piece of cake. So you get the best of all worlds.

To me, I like recording MIDI into Reaper, as I prefer to work with clips/colors, instead of patterns/scenes like the way Maschine is in standalone mode.

Using MIDI controller mode mimics the pads on Maschine, yes... but the main thing is, it's so easy to use Maschine mode to chop samples (hip-hop-style)... and then record the performance as patterns into Reaper. It's nearly a mouseless workflow... but again, the advantages are: using loops with Reaper's Media Explorer... and recording audio directly into Reaper (vocals, guitars), etc. That's something you can't really do in Maschine standalone.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #42
Mister36

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
What I meant by time-stretched looping is the stuff built into Reaper by default. Reaper's Media Explorer is basically a "loop browser" as you can import "acidized" loops by matching the project tempo before bringing them in. It's a piece of cake. So you get the best of all worlds.
Ah, right, fair enough. I think I was thinking you meant on a more live-triggering sort of way as opposed to a post-hoc performance, studio, arrangement sort of way. I've never really used the Media Explorer function. I usually just import the media directly and tweak to taste, but I see its uses.

Quote:
To me, I like recording MIDI into Reaper, as I prefer to work with clips/colors, instead of patterns/scenes like the way Maschine is in standalone mode.

Using MIDI controller mode mimics the pads on Maschine, yes... but the main thing is, it's so easy to use Maschine mode to chop samples (hip-hop-style)... and then record the performance as patterns into Reaper. It's nearly a mouseless workflow... but again, the advantages are: using loops with Reaper's Media Explorer... and recording audio directly into Reaper (vocals, guitars), etc. That's something you can't really do in Maschine standalone.
I definitely see the appeal of arranging with MIDI in REAPER. I have made many a track using that same method. Sometimes with just mouse and keyboard. But with Maschine, that "mouseless workflow" is much better most of the time and for most things I want to do (still do audio editing with mouse and keyboard - much quicker and not that fun for me in Maschine).

To be honest, though, I still don't really get why you use MIDI mode to trigger the sounds/samples in Maschine. Why is it better than just using Maschine? The pads still output MIDI to wherever you route it to so you can record the MIDI output of the Maschine Groups into REAPER. Also, maybe I missed it in your guide, but do you have it set up so the recorded MIDI in REAPER triggers Maschine?

As I said before, there are just so many ways to set this stuff up. And everyone has different wants/needs.
Mister36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
themixtape

"I still don't really get why you use MIDI mode to trigger the sounds/samples in Maschine. Why is it better than just using Maschine? The pads still output MIDI to wherever you route it to so you can record the MIDI output of the Maschine Groups into REAPER. Also, maybe I missed it in your guide, but do you have it set up so the recorded MIDI in REAPER triggers Maschine?"

Again.... you have the capability to record audio, along with your Maschine arrangement. Audio as in: lead vocals, guitars, live electric bass. You can't record lead vocals into a Maschine project.

And, you're able to use acidized .wav loops right alongside Maschine (sample chops, MPC-style), etc.

And I use the Controller Mode because I like to select the tracks in Reaper without using the mouse. Setting the SCENE/PATTERN/PAD MODE/NAVIGATE, etc. buttons as track selects 1-8 makes this very useful for changing Maschine's groups. Track 1, group A. Track 2, group B.

It's all explained above.

Yes, there are MANY ways to achieve the workflow you desire. This is just one of many.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #44
Mister36

Quote:
Again.... you have the capability to record audio, along with your Maschine arrangement. Audio as in: lead vocals, guitars, live electric bass. You can't record lead vocals into a Maschine project.

And, you're able to use acidized .wav loops right alongside Maschine (sample chops, MPC-style), etc.
I don't think we're on the same page here. I'm not for a second suggesting that you shouldn't use Maschine as a plugin inside REAPER, especially if you want to record audio linearly and traditionally and use time-stretched loops. I'm wondering why you use MIDI mode's pads to play Maschine Groups instead of just triggering them from "Maschine mode". Is it just so you're on the right mode to be able to control REAPER while playing the pads?

That was all I was wondering really. Not at all criticising your way of working!

Quote:
And I use the Controller Mode because I like to select the tracks in Reaper without using the mouse. Setting the SCENE/PATTERN/PAD MODE/NAVIGATE, etc. buttons as track selects 1-8 makes this very useful for changing Maschine's groups. Track 1, group A. Track 2, group B.
And yes, this is very similar to why I also use MIDI mode to complement "Maschine mode". Loads more hands-on controls and control of the host with a couple of button pushes. I think I'd like the control/MIDI button to be a toggle though and not have to use SHIFT.
Mister36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #45
themixtape

"Is it just so you're on the right mode to be able to control REAPER while playing the pads?"

Correct!

And yes, I too wish we could switch from Maschine mode to controller mode with one toggle button instead of holding shift.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #46
Moraha

I'm having issues similar to romik with this...I'm not sure if it's because I got the Mikro or what but I followed everything step by step.

After doing all of my CC actions, the sounds I loaded on the Maschine don't work unless I'm in Maschine Mode. All of the actions work (selecting the track, record, play, etc.) but no sound. It seems like Reaper isn't mapping the channels to the channel in Maschine. I got "All Midi Inputs" on All Channels. Then I got 'Map input to channel" on Channel 1 for Group A. Then in the Maschine VST, I got Group A set to Sounds to MIDI Notes on MIDI Channel 1. I also made sure to change the notes in Controller Editor to C3, C#3 and so on. I also made sure to have Input Monitoring on. I'm sure I'm not doing anything wrong there...

It must be a setting in Reaper. I tried using another VST instrument that I have, and sent an instrument to channel 2. Then tried playing that sound by mapping Maschine to it on a different track following your instructions, but it still wouldn't work.

Edit: I got it working. I think a few of us are having issues because your instructions aren't complete. I followed instructions on here instead of downloading your template because I like to create my own from scratch. Then when I downloaded your template, I realized that you had sends on each Reaper track. You don't mention that in your instructions or on the video. I highly recommend you edit your post and your video with that information.

Now the only issue that I'm having is tracking out each track to send it over for mixing. Everything I tried just processed the main Maschine track into a wav file.

Last edited by Moraha; 04-15-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Moraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #47
echopathy

Default THANK YOU!

I appreciate your thorough directions. Even before the video. Great template and workflow. Much obliged, Chris.
echopathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #48
ses717

Thank you, Chris! I'm going to try Reaper after troubles with Samplitude crashing, and Sonar being so slow(both latest versions). A faulty DAW kills workflow, needless to say. No matter HOW 'amazing' its features are.

This will definitely give me a huge jump start integrating Maschine.
ses717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #49
toxizz

Hi chris!

First of all thank you for putting this togheter, I can definately see how my workflow could benefit from using reaper and maschine the way you do. I've been trying to set it up for the past few days... yet without complete success.

Assigning the action was the easy part for me, I got my transport button, volume knobs and 8 vertical pads assigned to the 8 track fine. However, Like other users pointed it out, I feel there may be some missing key points in your description and video. Though you're not to blame with ALL the info you had to give for this complexe process... This is still a good job on your part. Anyway, here's what's missing or seems confusing for me:

1)While being in control mode, are your 16 pads supposed to be on "keyboard mode" which produce the same sound chromatically throughtout the pads?! That's my case and it's pretty annoying. When I switch to maschine mode, "keyboard" is deactivated and I can hear my complete kit with the pads (16 different sample).
So how can I have my 16 pads NOT on keyboard mode when I want to record the way you do while in controle mode!?

2) Another problem i have right now is when I select a track using the 8 vertical assigned pads (scene, pattern, etc) I can see in reaper the according track being selected and armed ready to go. But the actual group (and the sounds i've put in it) in maschine vst doesnt switch accordingly. For instance, my midi data record in which ever 8 track currently selected but it record the same sound in all of them : the sound that is previously selected in the Maschine vst). At this point, I can open the maschine vst, navigate to another group and select another sound with my mouse. This new sound will then be recorded in which ever track i want. It's as if my groups are not associated at all with the 8 reaper track.

All my checking points : I tried the templates (without success) and tried all from scartch also. I've Followed pretty much everything you said, monitoring is on with tracks armed, i'm on control mode on maschine, I also have sends on my 8 tracks to "track 9 Maschine Out". All of those 8 tracks have " All midi input on All channel" + "map input to channel" 1 for track 1, 2 for track 2 and so on.
As for the Maschine Vst, on each group (that all have sounds in them),I selected the "sounds to midi note" and I went into the "input midi page" because the " batch input setup" apparently changed in 2.1 compared to your tutorial 2 years ago. So on each group I could select channel 1 for group A, Channel 2 for group B, etc. I've let the "Active" ticked off and "root note" indicates C1. (-- THAT MAY BE THE PLACE WHERE SOMETHING'S WRONG

In the controller Editor, I was able to change my notes for C3, C#3, etc in order to have the sound to a normal range. Prior to that, it was all low notes and very muddy when in control mode (and normal in maschine mode, wierd but oh well)
It's pretty much it, Any help would be very appreciated!!

Thanks

Last edited by toxizz; 11-06-2014 at 03:29 PM.
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #50
toxizz

Anyone got an idea!? I'm dying to use this method
Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
toxizz

Default Last try

Allright,
I'm gonna give it a last bump... Hopefully a good Samaritan will come to the rescue

So I'm still stuck with this :

1) when I select a track using the 8 vertical assigned pads (scene, pattern, etc) I can see in reaper the according track being selected and armed ready to go. But the actual group (and the sounds i've put in it) in maschine vst doesnt switch accordingly. For instance, my midi data record in which ever 8 track currently selected but it record the same sound in all of them : That is the sound that is previously selected in the Maschine vst). At this point, I can open the maschine vst, navigate to another group and select another sound with my mouse. This new sound will then be recorded in an armed track. If I switch track (using the maschine pads or mouse, doesnt matter), This same sound will then be recorded into another track.
It's as if my groups are not associated at all with the 8 reaper track.

Can anyone detail how this association between groups/can work?!

2) Also, While in Maschine MIDI control mode, i'm still stuck in "keyboard" mode. So if i'm trying to record different sounds (kick/snare hi-hats, etc) on a track, there's only one sound coming out of the pads but with 16 different pitch.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #52
Dafinga

Default How to get this setup working in Maschine 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxizz View Post
Allright,
I'm gonna give it a last bump... Hopefully a good Samaritan will come to the rescue

So I'm still stuck with this :

1) when I select a track using the 8 vertical assigned pads (scene, pattern, etc) I can see in reaper the according track being selected and armed ready to go. But the actual group (and the sounds i've put in it) in maschine vst doesnt switch accordingly. For instance, my midi data record in which ever 8 track currently selected but it record the same sound in all of them : That is the sound that is previously selected in the Maschine vst). At this point, I can open the maschine vst, navigate to another group and select another sound with my mouse. This new sound will then be recorded in an armed track. If I switch track (using the maschine pads or mouse, doesnt matter), This same sound will then be recorded into another track.
It's as if my groups are not associated at all with the 8 reaper track.

Can anyone detail how this association between groups/can work?!

2) Also, While in Maschine MIDI control mode, i'm still stuck in "keyboard" mode. So if i'm trying to record different sounds (kick/snare hi-hats, etc) on a track, there's only one sound coming out of the pads but with 16 different pitch.
Toxizz did anyone reply? If not, well I had the same problem with Maschine Mikro 2 and after quite some time managed to figure everything out. I think it might be because the routing in Maschine 2 is different, I'm not sure. So here's everything I had to change after loading the themixtape's files and performing adding the actions in his instructions:

1. In the controller editor, go to the "assign" tab and change each drum pad send note to C1 through d#2 (in other words raise the current notes up 4 octaves, as they are currently sending to C-1 to d#0).

2. Load themixtape's Reaper project. Replace the Maschine VSTi with Maschine 2.

3. In the VST, select group A1. In the channel properties page (click the channel icon). Go to the input section. Set "active" to ON. Change the channel to 1. Press "scene" (selecting track 1 in Reaper), and you be able to play all the sounds of group A1!

Do the same with group B1 now: Set "active" to ON and change the channel to 2
C1, active on, channel on 3;
and so on up to H1 (channel 8).

That's it!

Thanks themixtape for a brilliant setup!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #53
TeeBlack

sorry for digging up an old thread but i just got a Maschine Mikro MK2 and was curious as to how this worked and i noticed you said you only knew how to set it up for drums. well i was messing around with your template for a while and finally figured it out through trial and error and got the instruments to work also. here is a project template i made based off the original template. dont mind the drums and instruments in Maschine you can swap them with whatever you want.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Maschine Vst.zip (148.0 KB, 245 views)
Old 09-10-2015, 01:07 AM   #54
TeeBlack

Here is an updated template for maschine 2.3 should work with older versions also. Included is a Reaper track template for maschine and a maschine control template for (maschine mk2) just map your controls in the actions list as stated by the op. the Reaper template has midi tracks Groups A-H and Audio tracks Groups A-H already setup. just load a group in maschine and select "Group" and go to "Input" in the midi tab turn on the active switch and select a midi channel. then right click on the group and select "Group Midi Batch Settings" and select "Sounds to Midi Notes" then go to "Output" and in the audio tab select your "Ext Output" for your group and you should be all set and ready to go. Just do this for each Group you add in maschine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Maschine-Reaper Template.zip (42.3 KB, 308 views)
Old 10-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #55
briggity

Default Instrument Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBlack View Post
sorry for digging up an old thread but i just got a Maschine Mikro MK2 and was curious as to how this worked and i noticed you said you only knew how to set it up for drums. well i was messing around with your template for a while and finally figured it out through trial and error and got the instruments to work also. here is a project template i made based off the original template. dont mind the drums and instruments in Maschine you can swap them with whatever you want.
Just got the workflow described in this thread working with drums and I love it!

TeeBlack, how'd you get it working with instruments, if you don't mind sharing? That would be the ultimate configuration for me. I tried to download your templates, but the zip files were corrupted on my end and my repair attempts didn't work. Not sure if they'd have worked for me anyways since I'm still using the original maschine and haven't upgraded the software. And thanks for reviving this thread!
briggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #56
TeeBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggity View Post
Just got the workflow described in this thread working with drums and I love it!

TeeBlack, how'd you get it working with instruments, if you don't mind sharing? That would be the ultimate configuration for me. I tried to download your templates, but the zip files were corrupted on my end and my repair attempts didn't work. Not sure if they'd have worked for me anyways since I'm still using the original maschine and haven't upgraded the software. And thanks for reviving this thread!
sorry for the super late response. all you need to do is set your instrument up in Keyboard mode in Maschine then go to the channel strip on the sound level select "Input" then select midi then under "Source" select HOST and under "Channel" select whatever midi channel you want. since you probably have your drums under midi channel 1 so i would use midi channel 2 for your instrument and so on. this setup is simple to do now. just make sure your instrument is in keyboard mode in Maschine (that's the important part) for instruments leave it at default (Group midi batch sounds to midi channels and make sure your instrument is in Keyboard mode in Maschine). i added a rar/zip file with my Maschine editor settings and Reaper Action settings for anyone that wants to use it to make things easier. you can always change either of them to your liking.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper and Maschine settings.zip (196.4 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by TeeBlack; 07-31-2016 at 03:50 AM.
TeeBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #57
themixtape

I'm going to update this bigtime, with a new video... working with Maschine 2.7.10.

I have a Studio, MK2 and MK3... I'll make a simple instructional video, provide download links for the Maschine Track Template (Reaper), and the Maschine Plugin file/folder, so everything works great.

It's still confusing, but it works.

I even tested it with 4 instances of the plugin inside Reaper... each instance was inside a folder called "Maschine 1" etc.... was a little difficult selecting tracks directly, so instead I scrolled through them with a Maschine encoder. But yeah, pretty dope.

Since I learned more about Reaper / Reaper's actions (since 6 and a half years ago) and since the newer controllers have more assignable buttons, this is going to be really cool. Everything from before, but better.

Thanks for all the positive words, everyone. Hang tight for the new (and fun) workflow.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #58
rogpfreck

Default Thanks

themixtape - Maschine mk2/Reaper user here. It’s a great combination.

Looking forward to your next vid!
rogpfreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #59
Hunor

Quote:
I'm going to update this bigtime, with a new video... working with Maschine 2.7.10.

I have a Studio, MK2 and MK3... I'll make a simple instructional video, provide download links for the Maschine Track Template (Reaper), and the Maschine Plugin file/folder, so everything works great.

It's still confusing, but it works.

I even tested it with 4 instances of the plugin inside Reaper... each instance was inside a folder called "Maschine 1" etc.... was a little difficult selecting tracks directly, so instead I scrolled through them with a Maschine encoder. But yeah, pretty dope.

Since I learned more about Reaper / Reaper's actions (since 6 and a half years ago) and since the newer controllers have more assignable buttons, this is going to be really cool. Everything from before, but better.

Thanks for all the positive words, everyone. Hang tight for the new (and fun) workflow.
Man, I'm dying to see that. I've been struggling to make that working with your 2013 instructions. Although the individual tracks are showing the incoming signal for the instruments, no sound is audible, and when I record there is just an empty track. So yeah pal, can't wait to see the new tutorial, the 2019 updated one might fix my issues. Thanks a lot.
Hunor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #60
themixtape

PM me, I'll give you the zip files for the template stuff... thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #61
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogpfreck View Post
themixtape - Maschine mk2/Reaper user here. It’s a great combination.

Looking forward to your next vid!
If you're interested, I put up a couple new videos on YouTube demonstrating mostly using Maschine as a Control Surface in Reaper.... but I'll do an updated video hopefully this week, and updated file set (Maschine plugin Reaper Track Template, and plugin state/Maschine project for Maschine with version 2.7.10 plugin (which I store in the Track Template folder so it's always there and easily found) in Reaper... the way I used it in the video from several years back. (I'll demonstrate with MK2, MK3 and Studio this time around)

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #62
themixtape

FINALLY updated the file set.... (Oct 23rd, 2019)

http://dead links, sorry

Please read the ReadMe file, and place the files in the folders they need to be in...

NOTE- There is a huge custom KeyMap file for the main Reaper functions (tied into my huge Control Surface / Reaper / Maschine project)... if you already made custom keymaps with keyboard shortcuts, midi buttons and encoders.... I don't want my maps to conflict with yours... so install and use wisely. If I were you, I would install a PORTABLE install of Reaper. Export your Config from Preferences (From your MAIN Reaper) and import it into the PORTABLE install / folder. Then, import my files.

Tested and works with the latest Reaper (64-bit). I used version 2.7.10 of the Maschine plugin. All of this stuff from before was with version 1.8 of Maschine. This is totally updated. And, I believe nothing has changed from 2.7.10 to 2.8.7 (the latest version of Maschine as of late October 2019).

Please hit me up with any questions!!! I also updated the info for the 2013 video AND the title...

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:11 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote