Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
JimDooley
Human being with feelings

Default Drum notation?

I'm trying to create drum notation for my students, but I'm starting in the piano roll view because I find it easier than the notation editor. I am also using the general MIDI drum map. When I switch to notation view and change the clef to percussion, the notes are all in the wrong spot and there are no "X" noteheads.

Is there a way to make the notes appear in the right spot on the staff automatically?
JimDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

What exactly do you mean that the notes are in the wrong spot?

To can change individual note heads or set the default note head for a given pitch by right-clicking on the note.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
JimDooley

The noteheads are easy enough to change using the method stated, but I was wondering if there was a way to make a certain note display as an X by default.

What I mean by the wrong spot is the notes being displayed in the notation view are displaying on the staff in the same chromatic order as they are in the piano view.

Drum notation is completely different and all over the place. Sometimes different notes on the keyboard share the same place on the staff. For example, a snare or a hi-hat can have multiple articulations mapped to different midi notes but they should all be displayed on middle C on the staff.

So basically for drums, midi note values have completely different note values on the staff and there is no intervalic relationship.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDooley View Post
The noteheads are easy enough to change using the method stated, but I was wondering if there was a way to make a certain note display as an X by default.
You can change the default note head for a given pitch, using the right-click menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDooley View Post
Drum notation is completely different and all over the place. Sometimes different notes on the keyboard share the same place on the staff. For example, a snare or a hi-hat can have multiple articulations mapped to different midi notes but they should all be displayed on middle C on the staff.
Oh, I see. I'm sorry to say that's completely unsupported in REAPER for now.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Lokasenna

We actually have the same issue even in the piano roll - the GM drum map doesn't group related notes together very well, and then every vendor (Toontrack, etc) has their own extended map. You end up with Cymbal 1 in one place and Cymbal 1 Choke way at the other end.

Being able to reorder notes in the MIDI editor a la Cubase's drum editor has been requested a few times, and it occurs to me that (maybe) the changes required to allow that might overlap with what would be required for proper ordering in the notation view.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
JimDooley

Oh well. Thanks for getting back to me though.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
JohnRick

Too bad about REAPER not having proper drum notation. It's still the only reason why I don't use REAPER exclusively. When recording for clients I need to make my edits on a drum staff, and such a thing is not supported in REAPER yet. Still using SONAR (now Cakewalk) since -99 for that reason alone.

Oh well.
JohnRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 AM   #8
JohnRick

Still no support for proper drum notation I take it?
Millions of drummers eagerly waiting ...
JohnRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:01 PM   #9
worldwideweary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRick View Post
Still no support for proper drum notation I take it?
Millions of drummers eagerly waiting ...
Did Reaper ever get this updated, or is there still no way to map midi notes to notation pitches for the purposes of having a viable drum mapping in notation as mentioned in this thread like with Sonar, etc?
worldwideweary is offline   Reply With Quote