Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default any way to sync off embedded track with SMPTE (audio) code?

Greetings,

My band (Advent) went into a 24-track analog studio in the early 1990s and, while we got a lot of recording done, very little was ever mixed at the time. Once one of my band mates acquired Pro Tools, I suggested we take the reels somewhere and have them converted--and I've been holding on to safety copies of all the SDII files for quite a while now. Decided to have a go at loading them up in REAPER (using an external utility to convert the files to WAV instead) and everything is looking good thus far.

The only problem: We used a drum machine at the time (for lack of finding a real drummer) and ended up striping track 24 with SMPTE code so that we could keep the drum machine virtual and save track space. Haven't had time to play with the MIDI files yet, but I'm guessing that there may have been at least a minor deviation in tape speed between the tracking studio and the machine where we did the backups--and, as a result, I'm hoping to be able to somehow use the SMPTE tracks to lock timing in accurately.

With this in mind, is there any obvious way to sync REAPER from an audio track that contains SMPTE data? The generally recursive nature of the situation is spinning my head and would certainly appreciate any guidance as to how this task might be accomplished.

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
axeman

Default help!

Hi again,

Any thoughts? One thing that occurred to me (although I don't know enough detail to be sure they'll help): Possibly using rewire with two instances of REAPER and looping the SMPTE audio back via the sound card or via creative ASIO mapping. Does this make sense? Is it a reasonable starting point?

Thanks and take care,

Alan
Old 03-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
voidar

REAPER can slave to ASIO2, MTC and LTC as far as I know. Never tried it. Check the menus.
voidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
airon

An interesting situation.

Reaper can sync to audio input, so yeah, perhaps another Reaper instance using ReRoute output with the SMPTE track on it can do the trick.

You could also tempomap your own songs (Bevoss did a great tutorial on how to do that) and then bring in the Midi.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
axeman

Default appreciate the responses!

Greetings,

Thanks a lot for both replies. I guess I'll have to look more into how to lock one instance of REAPER up to another so that one can sync off the SMPTE code from another. (It would be really cool to be able to do this in one instance; perhaps I'll initiate a feature request, as I'll bet I'm not the only one with converted analog projects that have SMPTE striping on a track for time sync.)

Not sure that manually editing the tempo map will be all that practical, as most of the original tracks were recorded to a perfect metronome--and only accommodate for any drift in speed between both analog 24-track machines (the one in the original recording studio vs. the other that was used to make the SDII transfers).

Take care and thanks again,

Alan