Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Default Sonar to Reaper in 4 clicks (public alpha)

Installation instructions, current features (and donation link) can be found there: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/board,13.0.html

Sonar X1-Platinum 2017: everything supported by the converter is converted
Sonar 7-8,5: almost everything supported is converted
Sonar 5 and older: mixing (parameters, buses, sends) and FXes/SoftSynth are NOT converted. Re-saving using newer Sonar, in case you have such possibility, will greatly improve the conversion quality.

That is an alpha version, but everything planned is converted. Please do not hesitate to ask for additional features (if they can really help you... just because something is in Sonar does not mean it make sense convert it)

Last edited by azslow3; 03-07-2018 at 10:54 AM.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
nofish

Kudos, it will certainly gain interest from Sonar refugees.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
rothchild

Amazing.

Will this work with all Sonar projects (ie as far back as v8.5)?

It'd be great to salvage some of my old projects.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
Will this work with all Sonar projects (ie as far back as v8.5)?
I do not have 8.5 myself, I test with X2-Platinum range only,
but I can use failing files to understand what does not work.

Note that cwb, wrk, etc. parsing is not planned (cwp only). I do not have Apple, Windows only (Linux is possible... I cross-compile under Linux and GCC is "native" compiler for this extension). The tool is going to be closed source freeware with donation possibility.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
gkurtenbach

Looking forward to it!
gkurtenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
BobF

great stuff
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
rothchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
I do not have 8.5 myself, I test with X2-Platinum range only,
but I can use failing files to understand what does not work.

Note that cwb, wrk, etc. parsing is not planned (cwp only). I do not have Apple, Windows only (Linux is possible... I cross-compile under Linux and GCC is "native" compiler for this extension). The tool is going to be closed source freeware with donation possibility.
Well I have 8.5 if you need another tester ;-)
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #8
jico27

Quote:

Pre-alpha. But as you can see, something is already working

For Reaper developers: for obvious reason, it will be nice in case the bug I have reported https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202610 can be fixed soon.
+ 111
jico27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #9
jonboper

Wow, yes please. Thanks for the work!
jonboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
alex64

Thanks x 100
alex64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
rluka

Thanks..cant wait to try it out
Ron L
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluka View Post
Thanks..cant wait to try it out
Ron L
Volunteers are testing pre-alpha, looks promising. But it will take a bit more time till the first public alpha.
BTW the progress is not a secret: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/board,13.0.html

Stuck a bit (last hours) with VST3 Sonar->Reaper (DX and VST2 works, but I want VST3 for completeness). Once done, I will convert routing (there is no open questions with it, but quite some work). And then - alpha
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
Glennbo

Here's a sample of a Sonar 5 project. None of the .cwp files from my copy of Sonar 5 will open.

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #14
Neenja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Here's a sample of a Sonar 5 project. None of the .cwp files from my copy of Sonar 5 will open.
Isn't everything before 6/7 very different? Some where in there I believe the projects stopped being backward compatible. Maybe opening and saving a copy in a newer version would help.
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
Isn't everything before 6/7 very different? Some where in there I believe the projects stopped being backward compatible. Maybe opening and saving a copy in a newer version would help.
The project from Glennbo does not seems like different, except 2 questions I have mentions (and in respect to features I already convert... that is far from everything).

I do not mind to support whatever CWPs. But since I do not have older Sonars, users interested in "antic" compatibility will have to cooperate a bit (providing examples and making some specific projects). Everything is in your hands, dear users
Old 02-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
The project from Glennbo does not seems like different, except 2 questions I have mentions (and in respect to features I already convert... that is far from everything).

I do not mind to support whatever CWPs. But since I do not have older Sonars, users interested in "antic" compatibility will have to cooperate a bit (providing examples and making some specific projects). Everything is in your hands, dear users
1) does Sonar 5 support mono outputs from SoftSynth (for multi-outputs synth)?

Sonar 5 could do multi-output softsynths, but didn't handle mono correctly. Back then I had DFHS for drums, and it had both mono and stereo outs. Kick and Snare were mono, and everything else was stereo. Sonar 5 stoopidly put the kick and snare on a stereo out with kick on the left and snare on the right. I had to buy a third party VSTi adapter to make it work correctly.

That said, I'm not concerned at all with the conversion of any softsynths out of my old Sonar projects, because I don't even have most of them any longer, and any of the old softsynths I do have from back then have been replaced by newer versions, like in the case of DFHS which now I use Superior Drummer, even though I still have DFHS.

2) does Sonar 5 support audio stretching?

Seems like it might, but I never used any stretching of audio back then. All my recordings were straight midi drums, midi keyboards, guitars, basses, and vocals, just recorded as they were played.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #17
Neenja

I opened the file you provided in Sonar 8.5 and saved it as a new file and it said it opened it with no errors.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NewFunk Sonar 85.zip (46.2 KB, 456 views)
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I switched to Reaper at Sonar 5 ten years ago, so Sonar 5 was the last one I had.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #19
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Please try with http://www.azslow.com/index.php?acti...a=view;down=57
You will get some warnings, but at least you should see your projects.

For the warnings, I just do not know:
If yes, I can give you instructions to help me support that in conversion.

Note that MIDI track parameters (channel, bank, patch) and send automations are not yet converted in current version.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Please try with http://www.azslow.com/index.php?acti...a=view;down=57
You will get some warnings, but at least you should see your projects.

For the warnings, I just do not know:
If yes, I can give you instructions to help me support that in conversion.

Note that MIDI track parameters (channel, bank, patch) and send automations are not yet converted in current version.
It's trying to import some of my old Sonar 5 projects. Most of them don't though and just give me the message "Unfortunately, something went completely wrong, sorry...".

But some of them (maybe it's only ones with audio) popup a search for the audio dialog, and when I point it to my Sonar audio folder it acts like it is loading the waves, but when it's finished, nothing has been loaded in Reaper.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #21
Kicksville

Dude!!! Don't know how I missed this when you first released the alpha.... I've got 20+ years of Sonar/ProAudio files sitting on my drives - when Gibson killed Cakewalk, I set up one computer as a legacy machine in case I need to revisit anything, but ReaCWP may save the day :-)

Dankeschön, Azslow!!!
Kicksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
azslow3

Since ALL (except MIDI...) automation envelopes should be converted by now (b31+ , test version), it will be nice in case someone can report how good all that works.
Note that volumes are still not "exact", +-1dB deviation can happened, especially in lower region (-14dB and more).
For FX/Synth parameters point values should be exact.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #23
rluka

Quote:
Since ALL (except MIDI...) automation envelopes should be converted by now (b31+ , test version), it will be nice in case someone can report how good all that works.
Note that volumes are still not "exact", +-1dB deviation can happened, especially in lower region (-14dB and more).
For FX/Synth parameters point values should be exact.
Downloaded and installed b31+
Running REAPER v5.76/x64 All volume automation envelopes on audio files were correct. I only used volume automation on this particular project so thats all I can report on.
Hope this helps
Ron L
Old 02-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #24
azslow3

Thanks! Sure that helps. I have to split my time between converting more information and testing the result, in case the second task is done by someone else, I can spend more time for the first
Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #25
Freex

I had been using Sonar for nearly 20 years, looked around at what was out after Gibson tried to kill it off.
I've been lurking about here for a while now, seeing what's happening and I've had a bit of a play with Reaper.
I tried your Program*edit* *script (or whatever is the correct term)* on a dozen project files last night, ok so it wasn't laid out how I would like, (I'm not loving the folder track/channel, wish it was just a benign folder rather than an actual track) but beggar can't be choosers, and you have saved me a LOT of hassle and time, exporting and importing tracks.
First class my friend, gold stars all round.

Even with the news of Bandlab buying Cakewalk, I'm not bothered, I've found a new home, with so many amazing people, doing extraordinary things. And a community forum as helpful and passionate about Reaper as the Cakewalk's was, which is a huge thing in itself.

AWESOME WORK.

Last edited by Freex; 02-24-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #26
dmorris

Default confirmed, vsti's exist

Good catch! Yes, I can confirm VSTi's are where they're supposed to be, and that track freezing is one of few places where Reaper's UI let me down a little.

I sent you a private message @ azslow.com with links to sample files in CbB and Reaper that just host a preset on Waves C4 Mono.

Thanks!

-Dan
dmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #27
poetnprophet

Dear azslow. All I can say is THANK YOU. I have tried a few projects for the first time, and they all opened very well. Although there are some things that need adjustment, it is incredible to be able to do even open and play cross platform projects. I know you come from Cakewalk, and you have done us CW users a giant favor.

It will be a while before I can really delve into this to see if there's anything I can contribute to help make this better, but for now I am very pleased to have this ability.

Cheers dude!

Dave
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
azslow3

Thanks!
Please note that future development depends on particular needs. I mean if you see that something is not converted and wish it is, let me know. Complex things can take some time to fix.

For previous post. I hit the problem converting "Waves C4 Mono". And the problem it is not the same as current "C4 mono", even CbB can not recognize it. As the consequence, I do not know how to test the conversion.
Such problems will be indicated as a "Parser bug" + "Warning". If someone see the same with other plug-ins (especially free/still possible to get), that can help. Probably that are rather old VST2 format plug-ins with some no longer widely used presets schema.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #29
vanceen

I would like to add my thanks as well. I was a long time Cakewalk and SONAR user (since v.1 for DOS - I think it was 1988).

Your contribution makes it so much easier to convert all my old projects. Well done.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #30
Musicianaire

@azslow3, your forum security question is not friendly. I have no clue "Which program class (3 characters) is used to create a music on computers?" I am not a programmer, I have no reason to know this.