Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #1
klong
Human being with feelings

Default I use Reaper and I love it!

For real. I've had so much fun making music and messing around with REAPER for over 13 years now.

I'm a software engineer at a huge company, and I can hardly fathom the complexity of writing and maintaining an application like this with just 2 people. It is an absolutely remarkable achievement.

I'm excited to see where it goes in the next 5-10 years. It's really cool to see what people like John from Tukan Studio are doing with the JSFX plugins. The MPL drum rack thing and the Bitwig-like "devices" idea is very cool too.

Anyways, happy holidays to the devs and everyone in this forum for all the help over the years.
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Philbo King

+1!
Old 12-02-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
nait

Reaper has some things with it that can frustrate me, like any DAW, but on the whole, I love it as well. Great DAW. Such a bargain at the price too. Very affordable for anyone to use, and I hope it stays that way forever.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
MRT

+1

Funny to look back now, but in a time before Kenny G., It took me a while to get a handle on Reaper's work flow. Even then, the Reaper Community was always a helpful, friendly place to field questions. In that respect, not much has changed.

So in the spirit of the holiday's, my thanks to all the minds behind Reaper development and support, the users who donate their skills with scripts and plugins, and the community
that makes Reaper much more than a DAW, my thanks.
MRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
michael diemer

Absolutely a +1.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
inlab9

Yep. It’s pretty damn great, and honestly keeps getting better. Precious few things that can be said about, honestly so at least.

The serious issues, or particularly annoying ones anyway, that I sometimes have with all this are always down to something else - hardware, or software that isn’t Reaper.

So far. We’ll see of course, but I remain optimistic.
inlab9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:56 AM   #7
ivansc

Congratulations on getting your head round it all, Klong.

The hardest thing for moat people used to regular software developers is buying into a program that has succeeded in generating such a great forum membership.

Justin in particular showed the way by selling his application on two levels, so "we" could all afford it AND by offering clients the chance to actually contribute to development - albeit in a fairly limited manner.
I have never found another application of this type that operates/d in such a user-friendly & collaborative way.

Hopefully your turnaround will point others in the same direction.

P.S. Sorry I am over-reacting, but you cheered me up no end.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:23 AM   #8
FapFilter

loving it too, despite these two annoyances on Mac, that are not present on Windows

1) audio item drag & drop from the timeline into your samplers doesn't work anymore (was working before 6.66), unless you are using RS5k, which is the only sampler that's still supporting d&d

2) drag to resize plugin windows is only working on the second attempt on VST2 plugins. on the first attempt, only the outer frame of the window is resized, while the GUI is staying untouched. Funnily this only happens with VST2, all other plugin formats i tried are working normally
FapFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:41 AM   #9
Softsynth

lots to love about Reaper however a hate thread will win out - on anything, including Reaper.

It always surprises me the number of people that whinge that Reaper does not have a support team for every little enquiry. It's hardly as if they have bought into that!

The support network of users here is so much better.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:57 AM   #10
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
lots to love about Reaper however a hate thread will win out - on anything, including Reaper.

It always surprises me the number of people that whinge that Reaper does not have a support team for every little enquiry. It's hardly as if they have bought into that!

The support network of users here is so much better.
I agree

It’s like the news. Bad news sells….we never get to hear about all the good things happening in the world only the crappy stuff.

Reaper ,the forum/members are flying the flag

M
Old 12-03-2022, 04:03 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post

I'm a software engineer at a huge company, and I can hardly fathom the complexity of writing and maintaining an application like this with just 2 people.
For quite a long time it was just one human being (with feelings).
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:04 AM   #12
vitalker

What's next? "I use Reaper and I'm neutral about it!"?
Old 12-03-2022, 04:59 AM   #13
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:13 AM   #14
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
And after that "To use or not to use (Reaper)? I don't care!"
Old 12-03-2022, 06:16 AM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
How about the passionately ambivalent?!
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:23 AM   #16
vitalker

Quote:
"I love Reaper, but when I love Reaper so much, I hate it even more. Anyway f*ck this cool program!"
Old 12-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
vitalker

Quote:
Did you see indifferent version?
Old 12-03-2022, 07:34 AM   #18
SmoothOperator

Quote:
For real. I've had so much fun making music and messing around with REAPER for over 13 years now.

I'm a software engineer at a huge company, and I can hardly fathom the complexity of writing and maintaining an application like this with just 2 people. It is an absolutely remarkable achievement.

I'm excited to see where it goes in the next 5-10 years. It's really cool to see what people like John from Tukan Studio are doing with the JSFX plugins. The MPL drum rack thing and the Bitwig-like "devices" idea is very cool too.

Anyways, happy holidays to the devs and everyone in this forum for all the help over the years.
I have to agree. I come from a background in scientific software where most of the software is broken most of the time. I love using software that whoa! works and is nice to use.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:38 AM   #19
lunker

Quote:
It seems that we have a number of forum members who are in the "I don't use Reaper, and let me tell you why" camp.

BTW, I use Reaper and I love it. 15 years now.

I was happy with my 16-track tape setup. I was kind of scared about "computer recording." But Finale came with this thing called Kontakt Player that sounded better than my hardware synth, but I didn't know how to get the sound from Kontakt Player to my tape deck. Someone suggested Reaper, and now the 16-track is in a closet, and I have (literally) hundreds of plugins that I can't see how I ever lived without (it's a sickness, really).

The songs I write still suck, but I have more fun making them now that I discovered Reaper.

Last edited by lunker; 12-03-2022 at 07:44 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:50 AM   #20
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRT View Post
+1

So in the spirit of the holiday's, my thanks to all the minds behind Reaper development and support, the users who donate their skills with scripts and plugins, and the community
that makes Reaper much more than a DAW, my thanks.
+1
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:12 AM   #21
airon

I love this DAW as well.

Nothing gets me to where I want to go faster, which is mixing sound to picture for me and designing effects.

Perfect? No. It's the reason I keep posting requests and bitching about certain aspects of Reaper. No problem. We wouldn't have some things if too few of us pushed for it, so we keep pushing our fun loving devs.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:15 AM   #22
7enz

@klong
Reaper is an amazing Audio tool!!
and i love using it too!!
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #23
7enz

what i have also found, is that becos Reaper is so versatile, im finding my computer was the limiting factor!!
So i purchased a M1 Mac mini, so that everything Reaper has to offer can be utilised to its fullest!!

How can one NOT love all that Reaper has to offer!! (boggles the mind, how someone could not see this!!)
*winks
Old 12-03-2022, 08:29 AM   #24
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enz View Post
what i have also found, is that becos Reaper is so versatile, im finding my computer was the limiting factor!!
So i purchased a M1 Mac mini, so that everything Reaper has to offer can be utilised to its fullest!!
Are macs cheaper in your country than other computers?
Old 12-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #25
7enz

Quote:
Are macs cheaper in your country than other computers?
lets just say i picked up the lowest end base model m1 (2nd hand)for what would be the equivalent of 553 USD
Old 12-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #26
vitalker

Quote:
lets just say i picked up the lowest end base model m1 (2nd hand)for what would be the equivalent of 553 USD
Very expensive. Not sure what prices do you have in general in USA. I think you could get AMD for a 1/3 of this price. Again, I don't know your market.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #27
Daodan

Quote:
I'm reaper and I love to hate it
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #28
7enz

@Vitalker
i asked an individual on the Native instruments forums to carry out a test for me...
before i set out buying the M1...
becos my 4770K 16gb could not handle my template, and i was getting audio crackling etc

essentially the test was to see how many Maschine instances he could run as a VST, with the base model M1...
he got up to 15 instances of maschine... and still had cpu to burn
So i recognised that my PC was the limiting factor, with respect to what ive been working on!!
Reaper just keeps giving & giving!!

Last edited by 7enz; 12-03-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:06 AM   #29
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
I'm reaper and I love to hate it
Why do you all still comment this bad comment? I've made some better ones later.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #30
vitalker

Quote:
@Vitalker
i asked an individual on the Native instruments forums to carry out a test for me...
before i set out buying the M1...
becos my 4770K 16gb could not handle my template, and i was getting audio crackling etc

essentially the test was to see how many Maschine instances he could run as a VST, with the base model M1...
he got up to 15 instances of maschine... and still had cpu to burn
So i recognised that my PC was the limiting factor, with respect to what ive been working on!!
Reaper just keeps giving & giving!!
Yeah, I understood. But why not AMD? It's cheaper and better, not ARM, too.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #31
7enz

Quote:
Yeah, I understood. But why not AMD? It's cheaper and better, not ARM, too.
try running 15 instances of maschine all playing different songs on a AMD and get back to me!!
Edit: im still in the process of moving things over to the M1 and testing the Maschine instances out with Reaper, so i havent tested this personally.
that said, the test carried out by the user @native instruments forum was using Ableton... so a big difference with respect to what may be possible with Reaper.

but given Reaper developers track record and track record with regards to streamlining things.... im certainly hopeful!!

Last edited by 7enz; 12-03-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #32
vitalker

Quote:
try running 15 instances of maschine all playing different songs on a AMD and get back to me!!
If you give ma maschine license and a decent machine, I'd love to!
Old 12-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #33
vitalker

Quote:
Also Reaper has auto bypass feature since 6.71. You can enable it in FX browser. Some users already wrote the performance is increased pretty much. But if all 15 maschines will play simultaneously, then it won't help, I'm afraid.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #34
chacka

Yeah, Reaper is my cool DAW of choice.

What brought me to Reaper were 2 things:

1. The ever so often 3 buggy things that made my former DAW crash. During these old days I learned to save, and save often!!!

2. And then there were the limitations: Come on, really? Only 8 inserts on a track and if I needed more I HAD to route it to a (don't remember what they were called there) Group or Buss track to get another set of whopping 8 insert slots.
Or a "rack" with a limited amount of VSTis? Why? All those limitations, crazy and uncool.

Then I discovered and first was massively irritated by the fact that a track is a track is a track. Nononono!!!! There are audio tracks, midi tracks, blablabla. Very liberating once I understood the new.

The thing that keeps me at it again and again is the fact that Reaper can be CUSTOMIZED!
Out of the box Reaper is not cool to use me thinks. Even today. Back then (I switched to Reaper shortly before 2.0 came along) it was rather butt ugly. But VERY functional.
And yes, it is fun to play-customize stuff, to make things happen. But when I really thought about workflow enhancements it was a looooong struggle customizing it to the point were I am right now.

But now Reaper does a lot of the things that I want that makes working with it so much faster for me. On top of that it does lotsa things that my old DAW couldn't do. Even if it would have been stable.

Customizing keyboard shortcuts (at first I made Reaper do things that I was used to from Cubendo), MACROS!!!, Screensets/Layouts, Dockers, Toolbars! and Themes. Talk about Mouse behavior: Do certain things in certain contexts and WHAT AND THE WAY I WANT!!!

This is indiscribable. Not to HAVE to adapt to things that I think are awkward but the ability to CHANGE them. Or things are simply not there otherwise. Priceless.

Did I say that it is cool how fast Reaper starts up? Back then it was the "LOAD all those VSTs and VSTis that are THERE to see if something might have changed" waiting MINUTES!
So many more things: All things rendering, oversampling of single plugins, track templates, Sub projects, freezing, I could go on and on ...

Yeah, this all makes me love Reaper.

So this is my BIG THANK YOU to Justin and the other Reaperists (Sorry, I don't know who is on board at Cockos and who not).
Your way of doing Reaper things including your cool business model is refreshing and fun to live with.
Thanks to Nicolas for the manual! Also a true work of love with so many cool details.
Kenny Gioia, you are so cool. Nice to see you after all these years. You've got some of the coolest glasses. Awesome style, great teacher. I learned TONS from your videos.

So yeah, Peace and love. :-)
chacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #35
Daodan

Quote:
Why do you all still comment this bad comment? I've made some better ones later.
Otherwise I would have to come up with a better comment
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #36
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Otherwise I would have to come up with a better comment
You don't have to.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #37
7enz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacka View Post
Yeah, this all makes me love Reaper.

So this is my BIG THANK YOU to Justin and the other Reaperists (Sorry, I don't know who is on board at Cockos and who not).
Your way of doing Reaper things including your cool business model is refreshing and fun to live with.
Thanks to Nicolas for the manual! Also a true work of love with so many cool details.
Kenny Gioia, you are so cool. Nice to see you after all these years. You've got some of the coolest glasses. Awesome style, great teacher. I learned TONS from your videos.

So yeah, Peace and love. :-)
my sentiments too +1
Old 12-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #38
Frank Lee Scarlett

I reap lover and I use it.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #39
Kaiso

Quote:

For Real? Is it only two people?! I'm not a software engineer, but use a lot of 3D modeling software. I know for a fact they have lots of developers. Every time I use Reaper (I'm a beginner) I am amazed by it and assumed there was a phalanx of developers feverishly generating code for the rapid fixes and updates/upgrades. Two people? C'mon.
Kaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #40
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiso View Post
For Real? Is it only two people?! I'm not a software engineer, but use a lot of 3D modeling software. I know for a fact they have lots of developers. Every time I use Reaper (I'm a beginner) I am amazed by it and assumed there was a phalanx of developers feverishly generating code for the rapid fixes and updates/upgrades. Two people? C'mon.
Yes, but it was only one developer for a long time. Do you remember Winamp? Same guy.