Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-01-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Recording is off time records early I think

I have a new interface, and it doesn't appear to be recording the timing correctly. I have calibrated it using I think Kenny Gioias method which seemed like a great system. So, I think the reported latency of my interface must be correctly compensated for.

I just did a recording using software monitoring. I had plugins active, but there wasn't so much latency I noticed it or was bothered by it. Everything seemed fine. I listen to playback, and the timing was definitely out. It sounded ok at some parts, but other parts you could definitely tell it was slightly out. I made a timing adjustment by nudging the item slightly some number of ms, and now it's perfect.

So, something isn't right in terms of timing. Is it the plugin compensation that isn't right? Maybe I messed up during my calibration?

Any advice on how to identify the issue and fix it?
Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
skylar_battles

I used Kenny's method to set mine up, but maybe try Jon's?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzS--D765Zw
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
I used Kenny's method to set mine up, but maybe try Jon's?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzS--D765Zw
I did that one before. Idk why kenny's wouldn't work though. I feel like maybe it's plugin compensation that isn't working correctly, or maybe I got it wrong. I'll try the other way and see if I see a difference.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I did that one before. Idk why kenny's wouldn't work though. I feel like maybe it's plugin compensation that isn't working correctly, or maybe I got it wrong. I'll try the other way and see if I see a difference.
I had an unexplained ,variable off set happening and it turn out to be the spdif input to my monitoring amp. Check everything and check again you will find it .
check your headphones are monitoring the same path as your main out put.

good luck
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:47 PM   #5
Sound asleep

I just did a recording with all FX off, and it seemed perfectly fine. Isn't there some sort of plugin delay compensation that happens somewhere? I think this might be what's off. I don't hear a susbtantial delay when tracking, that would throw me off, but it does appear to be there on the recording.