Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 03-22-2022, 09:03 PM   #1
mmmoth
Human being with feelings

Default Specifying the number of inputs and outputs seperately

Is there a way of affecting the per plugin channels to have separate number of inputs and outputs? Currently selecting the number of inputs to match the incoming channel count changes the output to the same number. But if it's a decode to binaural, or a downmix, that number is a lot lower. 16 to 2 for a 3rd order ambisonic to a binaural output for example.
mmmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
McSound

Nice question. Also wondered.
McSound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:08 AM   #3
vitalker

You can route channels wherever you want, so even if you set track channels count to 64, you'll be able to route 64 inputs to 8 outputs.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #4
mmmoth

The thing is, to save on computer cycles, the assumption is having exact number of I/O can help with the CPU load. If it's always equal number of I/O ports, a valid assumption back in the day, that's going to be extra load if the additional channels aren't used, especially if doing 7th order ambisonics, it's 64 channels everywhere.
mmmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoth View Post
The thing is, to save on computer cycles, the assumption is having exact number of I/O can help with the CPU load. If it's always equal number of I/O ports, a valid assumption back in the day, that's going to be extra load if the additional channels aren't used, especially if doing 7th order ambisonics, it's 64 channels everywhere.
Makes sense. It is not possible then, but you can make a feature request. https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:17 AM   #6
jm duchenne

What I uderstand (I might be wrong of course), is that the IO options is used to set the bus size that hosts the plugin. It needs normally to be at least the maximum number of channels the plugin will use, but knowing if they are inputs or outputs is irrelevant.
From the host point of view and its CPU use, it doesn't matter what the plugin will do with these channels, it reserves the place for them, so I suppose some RAM.
You can test by setting the channels number of a track where is a stereo plugin, it doesn't change the CPU percentage it uses when the track has 64 channels.

On the other hand it may represent a way to limit the plugin's overall channels number, so the CPU it will use to process the inputs / outputs that will be available.
But in any case it will not process channels it doesn't has, so for a plugin which can process only two inputs on 64 outputs it must be no difference if you could limit its inputs to two, but, depending on its internal stucture and multichannel processing path, setting the bus to 32 can limit its CPU use.

But perhaps are there some plugins that continue to process inputs or outputs channels even if they seem to deactivate them?