Old 02-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #1
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Default Lil Chordbox

A simple utility for the midi editor that displays relevant chord information in a pretty little box.

Detect chords...
  • by hovering over them with the mouse cursor.
  • at play cursor during playback
  • via note selection.
  • by playing your MIDI keyboard (live input).

Export chords as...
  • Project regions
  • Project markers
  • Take markers
  • MIDI text events
  • REAPER notation events
(Ctrl+Click on Lil Chordbox to quickly export using the most recent export option)

All of my scripts are available on GitHub or ReaPack:
Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Click heer, to buy me a beer

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 02-15-2024 at 10:52 AM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
X-Raym

the fact it works continuously make it very handy!
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
TonE

Cool, thanks for sharing, now note color by interval color to previous note is missing only, or colored interval lines.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:06 AM   #4
X-Raym

Bug:The text isn't displayed here on win 10x64

I tried to set text color to 0 and change font to Arial without success

:S
Old 02-15-2022, 03:11 AM   #5
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Bug:The text isn't displayed here on win 10x64
Looks like you're using 2 notes only. Does it work with 3? The script currently doesn't recognize 2 notes as a chord (but I can add that).
Old 02-15-2022, 03:20 AM   #6
X-Raym

Oh yes two notes support would be appreciated

Note that it isn't the exact same font as used in the theme (see how # is different)

https://i.imgur.com/2Si1Rct.gif

Also, as soon as there is a selection IMHO it should go in selection mode, right now it only goes in selection mode if you select more than 2 notes. (so selecting one note display the full chords, but three display the chords made by the selection).
Old 02-15-2022, 03:27 AM   #7
Spookye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
A simple utility for the midi editor that displays relevant chord information in a pretty little box.

Detect chords...
  • by hovering over them with the mouse cursor.
  • via note selection.
  • by playing your MIDI keyboard (live input).

All of my scripts are available on GitHub or ReaPack:
Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Click heer, to buy me a beer
..... I run to see it !!! You are a great ....... thank you!
Old 02-15-2022, 04:15 AM   #8
Spookye

Default YEEEEAAAHHHHH :)

Fantastic!! It works wonders! X-Raym's advice (2-notes) if you can add it as an upgrade would be great. With some pad sessions it does not change the chord. The chord / note list is very well matched (tested with complex chords ....) Together with ChordGun it's a pleasure !! Is it possible to change the color of the text in that section above? If it is possible to do it from the "Theme configuration window" where should I search ?? Great FTC ...... you granted a wish. Thanks 1000 .... really.

Last edited by Spookye; 02-15-2022 at 04:37 AM.
Spookye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:22 AM   #9
Spookye

Default IS BORN!! IS BORN..... ;)

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 02-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
souk21

Wow didn't know it is possible to embed scripts inside the ui.
Very nice work, thanks a lot
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
reapero

Love your scripts dude!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #12
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Note that it isn't the exact same font as used in the theme (see how # is different)
Yeah.. that's on Windows only. Haven't been able to figure out what font is used in the boxes above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookye View Post
Is it possible to change the color of the text in that section above? If it is possible to do it from the "Theme configuration window" where should I search ??
In the theme tweaker it's called "Themed window text", but that will change the text color in multiple places in REAPER. Which is probably not what you'd want. I'll add some options to tweak the look of it down the line. Let's first make sure it functions well.

Quote:
With some pad sessions it does not change the chord.
If you find something that doesn't seem right, send me a picture or GIF and I'll have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
Didn't know as well before I made this. Credit goes to Julian Sader and his amazing js_ReascriptAPI!
Old 02-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #13
Spookye

OK thanks! I have to say that I've been trying him all day, and so far he's been doing great.
As for changing the text color in the small window, I will not try to change it. I thought there was an option to change the text color ONLY in that sector. That's okay.
Thanks FTC and 1000 thanks also to Julian for his cooperation.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #14
Joe90

This is awesome!

However it doesn't work in 4K for me. When I drag my midi editor onto my secondary 1080p monitor it works, but on my main 4K monitor (where I do my midi editing), it doesn't.

I'm at 200% scaling in windows as the monitor is 27". When I switch to 100% scaling in windows then the chordbox displays correctly, but then everything is tiny (obviously)

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Something I could add to the code to 'scale it up'?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png chordbox issue.png (4.3 KB, 223 views)
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:30 PM   #15
tonalstates

I've wanted this for a while now damn! thank you FTC and JS! Also the fact that it goes through the chords when playing, awesome.

Wondering if there's a way to add a "selected individual notes chord detector" (probably the worst and most confusion way to call it haha) where it detects the chord too if I selected say (all 8th notes) one C note from one bar, one E from another and a G from another and through this selection tell me that these notes are indeed a C Major...? as an example of course. Just like the selection feature you already have but along the midi item. If not, still thanks for what it already does.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #16
pcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This is awesome!

However it doesn't work in 4K for me. When I drag my midi editor onto my secondary 1080p monitor it works, but on my main 4K monitor (where I do my midi editing), it doesn't.

I'm at 200% scaling in windows as the monitor is 27". When I switch to 100% scaling in windows then the chordbox displays correctly, but then everything is tiny (obviously)

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Something I could add to the code to 'scale it up'?

Thanks!
I had the same problem, you can work around it by manually tweaking the script (Edit Action in the Actions menu) to change the box height, width and x, y offsets (change local bm_x = 7 to 14, for example.) Then save and click restart in the script window. Sounds like FTC is looking at adding font and sizing options in future releases which would be awesome.

Really love these latest FTC scripts - this, MEMagic and Adaptive Grid make REAPER fly! One bug/issue I've found though is that when this script is active -- and also if the Adaptive Grid is active in the MIDI editor -- then tooltips don't show up on the MIDI toolbar. Not sure if that is down to my weird config (mixed 1080p/4k monitors on W11) or if everyone has the same issue. I'm using Contextual Toolbars (where tooltips work fine) and don't really need tooltips anymore, so it's not a big issue for me, but wonder if there's a fix for that?
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
I second that!
Amazing
Thank u feedthecat!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #18
FeedTheCat

Quote:
This is awesome!

I'm currently working on hdpi/retina compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Wondering if there's a way to add a "selected individual notes chord detector" (probably the worst and most confusion way to call it haha) where it detects the chord too if I selected say (all 8th notes) one C note from one bar, one E from another and a G from another and through this selection tell me that these notes are indeed a C Major...? as an example of course. Just like the selection feature you already have but along the midi item. If not, still thanks for what it already does.
Yeah, good idea. I'll probably add it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp View Post
Really love these latest FTC scripts - this, MEMagic and Adaptive Grid make REAPER fly! One bug/issue I've found though is that when this script is active -- and also if the Adaptive Grid is active in the MIDI editor -- then tooltips don't show up on the MIDI toolbar. Not sure if that is down to my weird config (mixed 1080p/4k monitors on W11) or if everyone has the same issue. I'm using Contextual Toolbars (where tooltips work fine) and don't really need tooltips anymore, so it's not a big issue for me, but wonder if there's a fix for that?
I'll look into the tooltip issue.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #19
Spookye

Hello FTC .... even today I spent the afternoon enjoying this masterpiece. Great, you added the dyads ..... fantastic! Small non-pretentious question: Will it be possible to insert the option "European Notes" (DO, RE MI ....) later? For the rest what to say .... it is simply brilliant. Thanks again
Spookye
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #20
Reflected

is there a simple RGB way to change background color (couldn't find away even inside the script) ?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:32 PM   #21
Daodan

Just amazing!
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #22
Joe90

Quote:
I'm currently working on hdpi/retina compatibility.
Awesome, thank you! I've actually got it looking OK now with a bit of tweaking, I just need to nudge the text (not the background box) over to the left a bit, any one know if this is possible?

I hope you don't mind FeedTheCat - but I've just suggested to mpl that he considers working in a 'Lil Chordbox' widget display into his 'interactive toolbar', which is an amazing script of his. It's one of a small number that I can say if it didn't exist I'd still be on Cubase or S1, I can't live without it. I've been keeping my eye out for a decent live chord display script so I could suggest this to him, and yours is the best I've seen by a mile.

The main reason I want it incorporated into his toolbar is because I'd LOVE to have Lil Chordbox working on the arrange page, doing exactly what it does in the midi editor, but for the selected track, so I can jump from midi track to midi track and and see instantly what chords are playing back from midi items in real time, or from live midi input. However, because I've already got mpl's toolbar docked across the top of the screen I've got nowhere else to neatly put your chordbox, even if you did make a version for the arrange page, and it would fit in SO nice and neatly right here -

https://stash.reaper.fm/43838/chordbox%20toolbar.png

I frequently play all my parts in and then transpose everything to a new key half way through a production to better fit the intended artist's vocal range, and then I have to do mental music math every time I'm adding new parts and working out a chord I played as it's not in the original key I remember playing it in. Having this script in the arrange page would be a lovely quality of life improvement for me,

Anyway, I hope it's not poor scripting etiquette to approach one scripter to incorporate their script into someone else's, but I had to ask.

Thanks again for your great work.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:42 AM   #23
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hello FTC .... even today I spent the afternoon enjoying this masterpiece. Great, you added the dyads ..... fantastic! Small non-pretentious question: Will it be possible to insert the option "European Notes" (DO, RE MI ....) later? For the rest what to say .... it is simply brilliant. Thanks again
Spookye
Sure, should be easy to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
is there a simple RGB way to change background color (couldn't find away even inside the script) ?
Not yet, I'll add theming/customizability options later on.

Quote:
I hope you don't mind FeedTheCat - but I've just suggested to mpl that he considers working in a 'Lil Chordbox' widget display into his 'interactive toolbar', which is an amazing script of his.
I don't, he can use my code if he's up for it.
Quote:
The main reason I want it incorporated into his toolbar is because I'd LOVE to have Lil Chordbox working on the arrange page, doing exactly what it does in the midi editor, but for the selected track, so I can jump from midi track to midi track and and see instantly what chords are playing back from midi items in real time, or from live midi input.
Hmmm, I actually like the idea. I'll consider adding an arrange view version.
Might even be able to make draw above interactive toolbar (or anything actually), but I'm not really sure yet if/how that works.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 02-17-2022 at 07:16 AM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #24
FeedTheCat

Version v1.2 is out:

The script should now work with hdpi displays. I have no way to check how it looks on MacOS retina etc. So please let me know if something doesn't look right (screenshots please).

This update also changes how selection mode works, as suggested by X-Raym and tonalstates. Basically, if you have more than one note selected, it will try to build a chord from selected notes (no matter where these are in the item).
Old 02-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #25
Spookye

Wow that's great ..... thank you so much.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #26
Spookye

#FTC I've made a screenshot depicting your script and a JSFX (ChordBack) made by #C64Paul that has the same function (but it's for notation editor users and integrates well into TCP ...) I'd like to put it here in forum. It's possible to do it??

Last edited by Spookye; 02-18-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Spookye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #27
tonalstates

Quote:
Version v1.2 is out

This update also changes how selection mode works, as suggested by X-Raym and tonalstates. Basically, if you have more than one note selected, it will try to build a chord from selected notes (no matter where these are in the item).

Ahhhh <3 thank you FTC! This is AWESOME, how a DAW like REAPER could be without something like this for so long is crazy.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
FeedTheCat

Quote:
#FTC I've made a screenshot depicting your script and a JSFX (ChordBack) made by #C64Paul that has the same function (but it's for notation editor users and integrates well into TCP ...) I'd like to put it here in forum. It's possible to do it??
Hi Spookye, not really sure I understand your question. If you're asking how to upload a picture to the forums, read this.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:43 PM   #29
Spookye

Quote:
Hi Spookye, not really sure I understand your question. If you're asking how to upload a picture to the forums, read this.
No that wasn't what I meant. But it doesn't matter ..
Old 02-18-2022, 10:22 PM   #30
Joe90

Quote:
Version v1.2 is out:

The script should now work with hdpi displays. I have no way to check how it looks on MacOS retina etc. So please let me know if something doesn't look right (screenshots please).

Excited to try this, but I don't see v1.2 on Reapack?
Old 02-19-2022, 03:01 AM   #31
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Excited to try this, but I don't see v1.2 on Reapack?
Oops, I pushed it to github only. Should be up now.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:31 AM   #32
Joe90

Testing now - looks brilliant! Some chords are not showing correctly though. A three note root position Dm for instance is showing as "F6/9 omit5". Root position Fmaj7 is showing as "Fmaj9".

EDIT: just restarted Reaper and it's fine. Not sure if it's an issue at my end now, so please don't go looking for bugs until I've done some more testing... sorry!
Old 02-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #33
FeedTheCat

Update v1.3:
  • Added options menu (click on lil chordbox to open it)
  • Support custom colors

The default colors work for every theme, but also tend to look a bit bland. You can now spice things up by colorizing lil chordbox to your liking. For example the record mode icon looks a lot better in red (#FF0000).

• Added option to run script on startup (make lil chordbox permanent). Don't worry about CPU, it's extremely lightweight.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 PM   #34
dreaminglife

Default Thats a Yummy Looking Script

I want that script but can't launch it.

The error message is.

"...r Install\Scripts\FTC Tools\MIDI editor\Lil Chordbox.lua:309: attempt to call a nil value (field 'MIDI_GetRecentInputEvent')"

Win 7 Pro, Dell 790 DeskTop. Any idea what the problem might be?

Last edited by dreaminglife; 02-22-2022 at 08:52 PM.
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:25 AM   #35
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminglife View Post
I want that script but can't launch it.

The error message is.

"...r Install\Scripts\FTC Tools\MIDI editor\Lil Chordbox.lua:309: attempt to call a nil value (field 'MIDI_GetRecentInputEvent')"

Win 7 Pro, Dell 790 DeskTop. Any idea what the problem might be?
What version of REAPER are you running? I think MIDI_GetRecentInputEvent was added around v6.40
Old 02-23-2022, 03:27 AM   #36
Spookye

Quote:
Update v1.3:
  • Added options menu (click on lil chordbox to open it)
  • Support custom colors

The default colors work for every theme, but also tend to look a bit bland. You can now spice things up by colorizing lil chordbox to your liking. For example the record mode icon looks a lot better in red (#FF0000).

• Added option to run script on startup (make lil chordbox permanent). Don't worry about CPU, it's extremely lightweight.
Thanks 1000 FTC. Even more beautiful! The customization of the colors and the integration in Midi-E make it a gem in the heart of Reaper. Very happy indeed ... as I think so many others. Thank you so much.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:01 AM   #37
X-Raym

Why A#3 F#3 B4 intervals isn't recognized as a chord ? I mean.. why not ? :P too unusual ?
Old 02-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #38
Odys

Quote:
Don't worry about CPU, it's extremely lightweight.

Dunno, sometimes it gives me massive lag.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #39
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Why A#3 F#3 B4 intervals isn't recognized as a chord ? I mean.. why not ? :P too unusual ?
Doesn't it show as Bmaj7 omit3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post
Dunno, sometimes it gives me massive lag.
Hmm, I can't really replicate this. Are you dragging with middle click? Your OS is Windows right?
Old 02-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #40
Odys

Its not just panning the view, whole reaper lags when piano roll and script is open. Yes windows.