Old 11-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #521
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmL View Post
just resync'd and im getting "...Support/REAPER/Scripts/Tracker Tools/Tracker/tracker.lua:3863 attempt to index a nil value (local 'plotData')"

any ideas?

mac m1 monterey.
Sorry 'bout that and thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed now.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:47 PM   #522
fmL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Sorry 'bout that and thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed now.
fixed. thanks
Old 11-08-2022, 04:45 AM   #523
fmL

resync'd and hackey tracker sample loader is no longer loading. i select it from the actions menu and click ok and nothing happens. no error message nothing.

mac m1 monterey. been having some issues since updating to 6.69. higher cpu usage being another one.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #524
sai'ke

Quote:
resync'd and hackey tracker sample loader is no longer loading. i select it from the actions menu and click ok and nothing happens. no error message nothing.

mac m1 monterey. been having some issues since updating to 6.69. higher cpu usage being another one.
The sample loader is meant to import samples from the timeline into Hackey Trackey Sampler. But you put HTS on a track by hand.

If that is already what you did then I have a second question, do you install through reapack? My guess is that you do (because you mention resync), but just so y'know, the sample loader (hackey_trackey_load_sample) got updated with HT 2.92. So if you don't install via reapack, redownload it. Reapack allows you to install old versions. How many versions do you need to go back for it to work again?

High CPU usage on what specifically? The sampler?
Old 11-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #525
fmL

Quote:
The sample loader is meant to import samples from the timeline into Hackey Trackey Sampler. But you put HTS on a track by hand.

If that is already what you did then I have a second question, do you install through reapack? My guess is that you do (because you mention resync), but just so y'know, the sample loader (hackey_trackey_load_sample) got updated with HT 2.92. So if you don't install via reapack, redownload it. Reapack allows you to install old versions. How many versions do you need to go back for it to work again?

High CPU usage on what specifically? The sampler?
disregard the high cpu comment. its a Reaper on M1 issue not HT issue. will give the loader another go today and figure it out.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:31 PM   #526
TonE

helgoboss found or created in playtime 2 which is part of realearn 2 a way / mechanism of using "clips" or items in Reaper without needing to place it into the arrange, which is cool. Thought maybe hackey trackey 2 (a new variant, in future, keeping current still same) could use a similar technique. Or would be worth trying at least. The fact automations are excluded from this system has many benefits as well. You would add and control those on top of it, via realearn for example. So this can be a good thing hackey trackey 2 not having to deal with all information, meaning the automation items. It would have the benefit clip engine (how playtime 2's core is called there, a headless playtime 2) and hackey trackey 2 could access same data, somehow. hackey trackey 2 could be kind of the "tracker editor" for clip engine recorded data or the other direction. Just connecting those two worlds: clip engine (playtime 2) and hackey trackey 2 (tracker interface for clip/item/note editing).

Thought will share this idea here, before forgetting.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:06 PM   #527
fmL

curious which reaper discord is most active with hackey trackey?
Old 12-08-2022, 02:04 AM   #528
fmL

saike,
would you have any interest in implementing some code from echolevels "amigapal" to hackey sampler? specifically the limiter, filters, downsampling that produces a lofi sound.

https://github.com/echolevel/AmigaPal

Last edited by fmL; 12-08-2022 at 02:57 PM.
fmL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 04:37 PM   #529
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
helgoboss found or created in playtime 2 which is part of realearn 2 a way / mechanism of using "clips" or items in Reaper without needing to place it into the arrange, which is cool. Thought maybe hackey trackey 2 (a new variant, in future, keeping current still same) could use a similar technique. Or would be worth trying at least. The fact automations are excluded from this system has many benefits as well. You would add and control those on top of it, via realearn for example. So this can be a good thing hackey trackey 2 not having to deal with all information, meaning the automation items. It would have the benefit clip engine (how playtime 2's core is called there, a headless playtime 2) and hackey trackey 2 could access same data, somehow. hackey trackey 2 could be kind of the "tracker editor" for clip engine recorded data or the other direction. Just connecting those two worlds: clip engine (playtime 2) and hackey trackey 2 (tracker interface for clip/item/note editing).

Thought will share this idea here, before forgetting.
It's a nice idea, but my current schedule isn't really permitting taking on something big at the moment

Quote:
curious which reaper discord is most active with hackey trackey?
I think Hackey Trackey is pretty niche. Not that many people using it I think.

Quote:
saike,
would you have any interest in implementing some code from echolevels "amigapal" to hackey sampler? specifically the limiter, filters, downsampling that produces a lofi sound.

https://github.com/echolevel/AmigaPal
I have made something to emulate that MOD sound a bit in the past, but as a standalone FX.

But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the FR, do you mean these effects as part of a sample modification workflow; or as part of the "effects". I would guess the former, since the latter can already be achieved with standalone effects?

It kind of looks like that tool just uses web API filters and compressors. I admittedly only browsed the repo briefly, but couldn't find anything specifically modeled after AMIGA there on the DSP side?
Old 12-09-2022, 09:56 PM   #530
fmL

Quote:
I have made something to emulate that MOD sound a bit in the past, but as a standalone FX.

But I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the FR, do you mean these effects as part of a sample modification workflow; or as part of the "effects". I would guess the former, since the latter can already be achieved with standalone effects?

It kind of looks like that tool just uses web API filters and compressors. I admittedly only browsed the repo briefly, but couldn't find anything specifically modeled after AMIGA there on the DSP side?
yep as part of the sample modification workflow. i guess i was thinking of ways to build upon the samplers function and had protracker/octamed in mind when i made the post. the amiga/paula chip emulation (a500/a1200) is applied later in the protracker clone after the samples are prepared in amigapal.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #531
TonE

Quote:
protracker clone
https://github.com/8bitbubsy/pt2-clone
Old 12-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #532
TonE

"It's a nice idea, but my current schedule isn't really permitting taking on something big at the moment"
No probs, friend, just keeping ideas here for future reference. No matter when or if will be implemented. Now, thanks to helgoboss, we know there is a way of adding / creating items without adding it to the arrange, at least when not dealing with automation.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #533
fmL

Quote:
yep thats the clone im refering to. i've used it for awhile now.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #534
hangnef

Started a new project after updating Reaper and everything else. I also sync'ed up my userkeys to new ones added since I last checked. I've run into a couple of potential issues:

- Whenever I click on an existing MIDI item in arranger, I get an error (see attached pic).
- The solo key seems to behave like mute, toggling it I see the channels have parens around them and the notes disappear. Mute didn't seem to do anything. EDIT: I searched a bit back and saw these only pertain to the new sampler player (which I haven't tried yet).

Also, is Hackey Patterns working w/ the latest Reaper? It doesn't look right to me, and when loading it the tracker exits (see attached pic).

Is it possible to have new key shortcuts to go to the absolute left and right? Sorta like home and end but for left/right? I have vi keybindings (which work AMAZING) and would love to be able to do '0' and '$'.

And I haven't tried other themes yet, but with the Renoise theme, the current row indicator color and block selection color are very similar, could they possibly be different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error_inserting_midi_item_on_2nd_track.jpg (71.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg hackey_patterns.jpg (13.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by hangnef; 12-21-2022 at 01:28 PM.
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:22 PM   #535
sai'ke

Thanks for the bug reports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnef View Post
Started a new project after updating Reaper and everything else. I also sync'ed up my userkeys to new ones added since I last checked. I've run into a couple of potential issues:

- Whenever I click on an existing MIDI item in arranger, I get an error (see attached pic).
Took me a while to reproduce this, but it depended on a few cfg settings. Should be fixed in 3.05.

Quote:
- The solo key seems to behave like mute, toggling it I see the channels have parens around them and the notes disappear. Mute didn't seem to do anything. EDIT: I searched a bit back and saw these only pertain to the new sampler player (which I haven't tried yet).
Solo key should solo the channel your keyboard cursor is on. Mute should mute that channel. Basically, those change some note properties on the MIDI notes with those channel numnbers. Parens mean the notes in that column should not be played (unless something is wrong). There was a bug that on an empty pattern, mute would not correctly update the UI (but the backend was still working). This is fixed now. Note that this shouldn't be a sampler specific thing unless something is wrong.

Quote:
Also, is Hackey Patterns working w/ the latest Reaper? It doesn't look right to me, and when loading it the tracker exits (see attached pic).
I'm not sure what's going on in that screenshot. It should definitely not look like that. Could you take a screenshot of the entire UI and maybe a tiny almost empty project where this happens so that I can reproduce this locally? Hackey Patterns hasn't gotten much development love from me to be honest; because I feel the workflow doesn't work as nicely in reaper.

Quote:
Is it possible to have new key shortcuts to go to the absolute left and right? Sorta like home and end but for left/right? I have vi keybindings (which work AMAZING) and would love to be able to do '0' and '$'.
I added a few bindings you can configure in v3.06 (they are not bound by default). The bindings are called "fullLeft", "fullRight", "shiftFullLeft" and "shiftFullRight". The shift variants include block selection updates.

Quote:
And I haven't tried other themes yet, but with the Renoise theme, the current row indicator color and block selection color are very similar, could they possibly be different?
The colors are defined in the tracker. If you come up with a nice color scheme, I'd be happy to include it as a new option rather than a replacement.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #536
hangnef

Quote:
Thanks for the bug reports!
No problem, thanks for the continued work on the script(s).

Quote:
Took me a while to reproduce this, but it depended on a few cfg settings. Should be fixed in 3.05.
Verified fixed, thank you!

Quote:
Solo key should solo the channel your keyboard cursor is on. Mute should mute that channel. Basically, those change some note properties on the MIDI notes with those channel numnbers. Parens mean the notes in that column should not be played (unless something is wrong). There was a bug that on an empty pattern, mute would not correctly update the UI (but the backend was still working). This is fixed now. Note that this shouldn't be a sampler specific thing unless something is wrong.
Ok, I had read (I thought) in a previous post that it was only for the sampler, but in playing with it, as you mentioned it works with everything, and mute/solo are behaving as expected. I guess the only thing I could recommend is maybe strike through for mute and parens for solo? There doesn't seem to be any visual feedback I could see for a channel being solo'ed.

Quote:
I'm not sure what's going on in that screenshot. It should definitely not look like that. Could you take a screenshot of the entire UI and maybe a tiny almost empty project where this happens so that I can reproduce this locally? Hackey Patterns hasn't gotten much development love from me to be honest; because I feel the workflow doesn't work as nicely in reaper.
I played around with it some more and it just seems to be a re-drawing issue. Things looked more normal when I clicked in the window or re-sized. The quitting of Hackey Trackey doesn't make sense though. If it helps, I'm launching the Hackey Patterns via the ctrl-shift-enter shortcut. It comes up but the tracker closes.

Totally understand it might not fit so well in Reaper. I use the SWS region playlist stuff so I appreciate the Hackey Patterns alternative, and it's way more like Buzz.

Quote:
I added a few bindings you can configure in v3.06 (they are not bound by default). The bindings are called "fullLeft", "fullRight", "shiftFullLeft" and "shiftFullRight". The shift variants include block selection updates.
Perfect, works a treat.

Quote:
The colors are defined in the tracker. If you come up with a nice color scheme, I'd be happy to include it as a new option rather than a replacement.
Ah, I can just go in and tweak then. Is there an equiv to userkeys for the theme? I'd rather not touch the main script (unless it's for printkeys).

thanks again
Old 12-23-2022, 10:52 AM   #537
sai'ke

Quote:
I played around with it some more and it just seems to be a re-drawing issue. Things looked more normal when I clicked in the window or re-sized. The quitting of Hackey Trackey doesn't make sense though. If it helps, I'm launching the Hackey Patterns via the ctrl-shift-enter shortcut. It comes up but the tracker closes.

Totally understand it might not fit so well in Reaper. I use the SWS region playlist stuff so I appreciate the Hackey Patterns alternative, and it's way more like Buzz.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to reproduce it on my end.

The closing behaviour you can explicitly disable. You can disable it in Hackey Trackey via disabling "Allow commands to close HT". In the config file this option is called closeWhenSwitchingToHP.

Quote:
Ah, I can just go in and tweak then. Is there an equiv to userkeys for the theme? I'd rather not touch the main script (unless it's for printkeys).
There is now. Just added it in 3.08. If none exists it should write a template in usertheme.lua that you can modify. Note that seeing changes done to the file requires a restart of the tracker. Happy modding. If you come up with a new theme, I'd love to see it
Old 12-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #538
TonE

Thanks for the update. On my laptop, when Options are enabled, the last setting I can see is "Make channel number reflect midi chan", to 70%, not sure if more settings are following, somehow could not find a way of shifting windows or scrolling...

UPDATE: Ok, sink theme allowed me seeing all, it was last setting indeed. No action needed from my point of view.
What is the scrub mode, it has interesting editing "side effects" when enabled? If you duplicate a 1bar melody hitting control-d, then using scrub mode, meaning pressing up and down, you can create lots of unplanned variations. Nice. If this behaviour is a bug, please keep this bug.

Last edited by TonE; 12-23-2022 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #539
TonE

Here is my theme experiment today, colors inspired or taken from almighty Protracker. You can add it as "TonE" theme into hackey trackey if you want.

usertheme.lua (TonE)
PHP Code:
-- TonE userthemeinspired by almighty Protracker
  extraThemes 
= {

custom = function(self)

self.ellipsis         0  -- Draw ellipses instead of dots
--      self.shadercolor      = {177/255171/255116/2551.0}

self.shadercolor      = {0/2550/2550/2551.0}
--      
self.harmonycolor     = {177/255171/255116/2551.0}
--      
self.harmonyselect    = {183/255255/255191/2551.0}
--      
self.helpcolor        = {243/255171/255116/2551.0} -- Determines how the functions are colored in the help
--      self.helpcolor2       = {178/256178/256178/2561} -- Determines how the keys are colored in the help

-- bar numbersnote numbers

--      self.selectcolor      = {1234/25620/2561} -- Background color selectionyellow
      self
.selectcolor      = {1/256*1500/2560/2561} -- Background color selection
      self
.selecttext       = {1/256*2551/256*2211/256*01} -- Foreground color selection
      self
.textcolor        = {51/25668/256255/2561} -- pattern data text color (only used when normal and bar are left undefined)
      -- 
note color
      self
.textcolorbar     = {51/25668/256255/2561} -- pattern data text color at bar (only used when normal and bar are left undefined)

-- 
yellow headercolor from protracker of course :)

self.headercolor      = {255/256221/2560/2561} -- column headersstatusbar etc
--      self.inactive         = {115/256115/256115/2561} -- column headersstatusbar etc

self
.linecolor        = {0/256,0/256,0/2561} -- normal row
      self
.linecolor2       = {1/256*01/256*01/256*00.6} -- beats (must not have 100alpha as it's drawn over the cursor(!)) lines 2 3 4 excluding first line per beat
--      self.linecolor3       = {1/256*180, 1/256*148, 1/256*120, 1} -- scroll indicating trangle thingy
      self.linecolor4       = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1} -- Reaper edit cursor, I make it invisible meaning black as I can not see any value in this line for now
      self.linecolor5       = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1.0} -- Bar start, each beat color meaning each 4 lines in my case at least

--      self.loopcolor        = {1/256*204, 1/256*204, 1/256*68, 1} -- lines surrounding loop
      self.copypaste        = {1/256*57, 1/256*57, 1/256*20, 0.66}  -- the selection (should be lighter (not alpha blended) but is drawn over the data)

--      self.scrollbar1       = {98/256, 98/256, 98/256, 1} -- scrollbar handle & outline
      self.scrollbar1       = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1} -- scrollbar handle & outline
      self.scrollbar2       = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1} -- scrollbar background

self.changed          = {1, 1, 0, 1}  -- Color indicating a changed but uncommitted setting
      self.changed2         = {0, .5, 1, .5} -- Only listening

-- background, where no notes are
      self.windowbackground = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1}  -- Window background. Note that the alpha channel is ignored.
      self.crtStrength      = 0  -- How strong should the CRT effect be when enabled.

-- Colors that override the text colors for different columns
      -- When these are specified, the colors textcolor and textcolorbar are ignored.
--      self.normal.mod1      = {243/255, 171/255, 116/255, 1.0}
--      self.normal.mod2      = self.normal.mod1
--      self.normal.mod3      = self.normal.mod1
--      self.normal.mod4      = self.normal.mod1
      self.normal.modtxt1   = {0/255, 0/255, 0/255, 1.0}
      self.normal.modtxt2   = self.normal.modtxt1
      self.normal.modtxt3   = self.normal.modtxt1
      self.normal.modtxt4   = self.normal.modtxt1
      self.normal.vel1      = {0/255, 0/255, 0/255, 1.0}
      self.normal.vel2      = self.normal.vel1
--      self.normal.delay1    = {123/255, 149/255, 197/255, 1.0}
--      self.normal.delay2    = self.normal.delay1
--      self.normal.fx1       = {183/255, 255/255, 191/255, 1.0}
--      self.normal.fx2       = self.normal.fx1
--      self.normal.end1      = {136/255, 80/255, 178/255, 1.0}
--      self.normal.end2      = self.normal.end1

self.bar.mod1         = {0/255, 0/255, 0/255, 1.0}
      self.bar.mod2         = self.bar.mod1
      self.bar.mod3         = self.bar.mod1
      self.bar.mod4         = self.bar.mod1
      -- cc columns colors, main volume, unknown effect, unknown effect
      self.bar.modtxt1      = {51/256, 68/256, 255/256, 1}  -- protracker blue
      self.bar.modtxt2      = self.bar.modtxt1
      self.bar.modtxt3      = self.bar.modtxt1
      self.bar.modtxt4      = self.bar.modtxt1
      self.bar.vel1         = {51/256, 68/256, 255/256, 1}  -- protracker blue
      self.bar.vel2         = self.bar.vel1
      self.bar.delay1       = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1}
      self.bar.delay2       = self.bar.delay1
      self.bar.fx1          = {0/256, 0/256, 0/256, 1}
      self.bar.fx2          = self.bar.fx1
      -- note end meaning note duration
      self.bar.end1         = {51/256, 68/256, 255/256, 1}  -- protracker blue
      self.bar.end2         = self.bar.end1

self.patternFont         = "Fruity microfont"  -- Custom font. Note that it should be installed on the system.
      self.patternFontSize     = tracker.cfg.fontSize or 14  -- Font size. Usually overridden by the user already.
      self.customFontDisplace  = { self.patternFontSize-6, -3 }  -- Font displacement to fixup alignment issues.
    end
  } 
Attached Images
File Type: png 968.png (39.1 KB, 386 views)
Old 12-23-2022, 07:09 PM   #540
TonE

If the edited value could get a red surrounding (themable), like in protracker could be nice as well. Instead of background color. But background color is maybe even better, as we have now. Just sharing ideas...

I would like it if we could show in same place as "Show Harmonizer", "Show Hackey Patterns". Then hackey trackey and patterns would be side by side. But we can dock them both side by side, so all is fine.

Last edited by TonE; 12-23-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:19 PM   #541
TonE

My xmas wish for hackey trackey would be the rainbow vu-meters of protracker, using exact same colors, from light green at the bottom to red at the top, through yellow in the above middle...
Maybe having the option of adding a background image (PNG) to hackey trackey as well. Image would be placed in a fixed position at top left corner, coordinates )0,0), so anyone could adapt the image size to their situation. I did background image myself in the past for Filther, but having official usertheme.lua support is better... Happy xmas friends with your families.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #542
TonE

Just recognized, I can not change the Out value in hackey trackey to any other value than "C", if I change it via left clicking with mouse and dragging up, the value is changing, but after releasing the mouse button it jumps back to "C".
Old 12-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #543
sai'ke

Quote:
My xmas wish for hackey trackey would be the rainbow vu-meters of protracker, using exact same colors, from light green at the bottom to red at the top, through yellow in the above middle...
I'm not sure what value they would add personally. Hackey Trackey has no knowledge of what happens with the sound corresponding to each channel downstream. The only thing I could think of showing downstream would be MIDI velocity, but I'm not sure how much value that adds.

Quote:
Just recognized, I can not change the Out value in hackey trackey to any other value than "C", if I change it via left clicking with mouse and dragging up, the value is changing, but after releasing the mouse button it jumps back to "C".
That is strange. I'm unable to reproduce this locally. Is it possible two instances of hackey trackey are fighting for control over the same item? Or could another script maybe be changing the output channel? If the answer to both questions is no, then could you send me your config file?
Old 12-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #544
TonE

Regarding no value addition of protracker vu-meter, except as velocity visualization and nostalgy value, not more, so you can forget it again. Not a big wish. Better concentrating on real value addition, than such gimmicks. Maybe in future we have a better idea what could be combined with this vu-meter?

The other problem, disappeared, when using another track and item, not sure what caused it there. For now it can be forgotten as well. All is fine. Thanks a lot. Have a nice day friend.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:15 AM   #545
TonE

Here hackey trackey has a small bug: When changing midi output to C from 16 for example, I need to click into one cell, so the correct value is displayed. So after hitting f2 or f3 its value is not correctly displayed. After hitting 6 times f3 it will still show same value, only after a cell click, into any row, the value is updated correctly.

Another improvement suggestion for hackey trackey. When a block is selected, a middle mouse click anywhere else could copy + paste the selected block to this position. We can do this operation now using ctrl-c, click to new position, ctrl-v. A middle mouse click would do same, only faster and as mouse based operation instead of qwerty. If you want to add a gap anywhere, select some empty block somewhere, middle click where you want to place the gap.

Last edited by TonE; 12-30-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:51 AM   #546
fmL

TonE the PT theme is nice.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #547
TonE

Theme is nice but the VU-meters from protracker still missing.
hackey trackey has 3 futuristic fx in 7 styles (0..6), which I do not use, even those look cool, mainly being afraid this will use too much cpu. But a protracker style vu-meter per channel, probably I would activate. Maybe I am too old school.
There could be another separate Protracker-VU meter jsfx as well, to be placed in TCP, independent of hackey trackey, that would be nice as well. Midi velocity based VU-meter I mean, so it can be compatible to hackey trackey version (which does not exist yet).
Important is I want to see those dancing bars, in the tracker. I can not imagine how better the composed melodies would sound just because of this. Sometimes unexpected things can motivate users. This could be another goal, motivating users to compose or track better music.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #548
fmL

i use renoise for tracking but HT is definitely cool to have in reaper. im just glad to see saike continues to work on it.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:29 PM   #549
sai'ke

Quote:
Here hackey trackey has a small bug: When changing midi output to C from 16 for example, I need to click into one cell, so the correct value is displayed. So after hitting f2 or f3 its value is not correctly displayed. After hitting 6 times f3 it will still show same value, only after a cell click, into any row, the value is updated correctly.
Good catch! Fixing.

I also added your theme TonE. Note to everyone else that you do need this font installed for it to work correctly: https://www.dafontfree.net/fruity-mi...ar/f125687.htm

I did make a few minor modifications, since you had set a few colors to zero (making some features such as the scrollbar inaccessible).

I also attempted improving performance. This should make the rendering time per frame lower when the background animations are off. Basically, it renders the pattern in an off-screen buffer and only redraws the pattern if the data or field of view changed. If neither of those changes, it can quicky blit the pattern rather than render out all the text again. On my machine it cuts the frame time in half, but your mileage may vary. I'd be interested in seeing the difference on your machines if you have time to measure them.

You can see the frame time if you go to the options and enable "show average frame time". If you find any bugs that occur when "Cached rendering" is enabled that don't occur when it's not, please report them to me. I'd be much obliged.
Old 01-01-2023, 05:06 AM   #550
TonE

Dear saike, happy, healthy, succesful new year, thanks for the bugfix.
When I enable 'show average frame time' then also enable 'cached rendering (better performance)', my frame rate is inbetween 3..5 ms. At least in this test, empty RPP. Can test in future in other projects again, with fuller arrangements. Thanks also for TonE theme addition and your provided font link.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #551
sai'ke

Quote:
Dear saike, happy, healthy, succesful new year, thanks for the bugfix.
When I enable 'show average frame time' then also enable 'cached rendering (better performance)', my frame rate is inbetween 3..5 ms. At least in this test, empty RPP. Can test in future in other projects again, with fuller arrangements. Thanks also for TonE theme addition and your provided font link.
Happy new year to you too! I was mostly hoping for with/without comparisons on the frame time.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:32 AM   #552
TonE

Thanks. Dear saike, if I understand the meaning of "with/without comparisons on the frame time", I can try to help with testing...
What I thought, I should
1. enable "cached rendering (better performance)", because I thought this is a new parameter, which improves something, because of the wording "better performance"
2. check the "improvement quantity" by looking at the parameter "average frame time" by activating the option "show average frame time"
This is what I did. It seems this is not what you expected.
If you can explain step by step what a hackey trackey user should do instead for your "expected test", I would do exactly that and post the results here.
The other thing came to my mind, should I edit hackey trackey and enabling certain debug parameters, for getting what you were expecting, but did not check that yet, because I thought, above checkboxes you created mainly for testing purposes as well... Anyway, I hope this explains why I posted as I did before.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:39 AM   #553
TonE

Quote:
Good catch! Fixing.
Was not difficult to catch, as I am using this parameter often. Each time you have a multi-midi channel synth, like farbrausch V2 for example, or better, any multi-midi-channel-routing going from this "hackey trackey track" to multiple other tracks with a different synth each, for example, enabling midi channel C allows you using multiple sounds (on those different target tracks) directly from one interface, patterns. You can play around more freely, but without being fixed to only a single sound, getting more creative options, soundwise.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:24 AM   #554
TonE

Can hackey trackey get a new note following editing mode, like with ADV[n], where the octave is kept as is, and not set to the value which is set in the parameter OCT. I would use this mode quite often, I guess. Then all your previous octave design is not lost as well. Using the number keys 1..9 we can set the octave anyway, if we wish so, so "destroying" them, as is now, to same OCT parameter value, is kind of counter productive, from my point of view at least.
What could be its hotkey binding, maybe keeping same Ctrl-t, then toggling between three states, ADV[number], ADV[n], ADV[o]. [o] should denote octave is kept as is, with auto note following as in the case of ADV[n].

Another bug, same as midi channel C problem posted before, but now for ADV parameter, if I hit Ctrl-t, the behaviour is changing, but the display still same, until entering a note, then the display is corrected as well. But normally as soon as I hit Ctrl-t the display should be updated, at least in the past this was the case. I guess, it could be with all parameters which are displayed at the bottom of hackey trackey, this problem might be the case. Just tested now with ADV parameter.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:25 AM   #555
TonE

Getting this sometimes.
...on Data\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker\tracker.lua:6128: table index is NaN

And in hackey trackey, when opening after closing options and help is always displayed, even I switched off their displaying before, it seems their state is not saved or changed, in my case, not sure why or if this could be a bug.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:26 AM   #556
TonE

Thanks a lot my friend for new octave preserving feature also from here! Will test.
Seems to work great. You could patent this feature, not sure if there is any midi sequencer in the world having such "octave preserving feature" during midi step editing?
There could be phase editing as well. But let us keep that for another patent.
Phase editing would be this: Like advance to next note, but not blindly, whereever the note is, no, only jumping to those next notes which are onset on a specific 'phase range' within a bar, I can imagine following important cases.
(a) on beat phases per beat (1 phase, in 16th step granularity)
(b) off beat phases per beat (3 phase, in 16th step granularity)
(c) 24 phases per beat (in 16th step granularity)
Then you could think while step editing as follows:
For (a), let me adjust now all on beat notes, to different pitches, keeping their octaves, as well, for example.
For (b), let me adjust now all off beat notes, to different pitches, not keeping their octaves, for example.
For (c), let me adjust now all 24 phase notes, to different midi channels, for example.

This I would not use so often, I guess, so a minor use case scenario I would say, but could be interesting as well. Much more important is the freshly implemented keeping octave feature! Bringing hackey trackey to new flight dimensions in space! Thanks my friend. Design a 303 line, with exact octave positions, then vary quickly as many pitch variants as you want, until one combination hits you! Can be great for Yutani melodic designs as well. Have to check if there is now a vst variant out already of the Nord Modular csound patches, could be cool if we could use nord modular csound sounds, via hackey trackey, as vst, inside Reaper! We should start a Yutani competition, best 303 sound design competition with Yutani by master saike. Could be great for learning most relevant parameters for 'convincing' 303 sound design, including filter settings, modulations, env ranges, what to use, what not to use. Except note design decisions. Notes we can design perfectly now via hackey trackey. Its sound counterpart could be a Yutani sound design competition. Leading to 128 selected best 303 patches, from the competition. Some rating would be needed. Taking a known official 303 melodic pattern, something from Emmanuel Top, the unbeaten 303 master in history, then all competition participants would try to design a Yutani preset for that note sequence. Then the result would be shared / collected somewhere as OGG, then rated there, rating in three levels maybe, ok (1 point), good (2 points), great (3 points).

What a phenomenal start for hackey trackey into 2023! Thanks my friend saike!!!

Last edited by TonE; 01-06-2023 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:55 AM   #557
TonE

New idea for hackey trackey sample player.
Ctrl-right: Selects next sample from its path directory for current displayed slot, alphabetically sorted.
Ctrl-left: Selects previous sample from same path directory, alphabetically sorted.
Ctrl-up: Selects random sample from same path directory.

Advantages: You program some complex or experimental portamento up/down, offset, retrigger combination, and want to surprise yourself how this combination would sound on other samples from same directory, which should be usually having similar qualities, thus could sound interesting in similar fashion as well. Lots of fun. Now I need to do drag and drop manually from media explorer. Hitting those buttons would be quicker and more fun. Thanks friends for reading.

Not sure if jsfx can access the rrrreeeaaa algorithms as well? If yes giving them a place under some efx numbers could be another idea, one day maybe, in case jsfx will have access to rrrrreaaaaa.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:15 AM   #558
TonE

Small potential bug report for hackey trackey:
Hitting Ctrl-Shift-a, for adding per channel cc, typing in 74, ENTER, normally a new column should appear in the tracker (as I remember from the past as well), now this new column does not appear, thus I can not add any cc74 values, e.g. for changing filter cutoff of farbrauschV2 vst. Does it work there? Might this be dependent on key layout?
Old 01-20-2023, 08:28 AM   #559
hangnef

Been using HT a lot lately, it's becoming my main way to do MIDI in my projects!

I have a couple small feature requests if I could:

Currently to select a single note and copy it, I have to visually select, and then copy. Could by default whatever is under the cursor be copied if nothing is selected?

Also, could there be an option to allow circling around when traversing MIDI items in a track?

I did find a small bug. I accidentally chose Insert -> "Empty Item" instead of "New MIDI Item" in Reaper and it caused HT to crash. I've attached a screenshot below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_1.jpg (14.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #560
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnef View Post
Also, could there be an option to allow circling around when traversing MIDI items in a track?
Inside hackey trackey I am using mostly designing the pattern, e.g. 1 bar, then duplicating with Ctrl-D, which goes to the new duplicate, looping there, varying, repeating this process. This is how I use hackey trackey mainly for editing. For selection purpose I am using Reaper's arrange, having actions which do whatever type of selection I want, or using hackey patterns for placing the various patterns in different places quickly. Or for adding short breaks here and there.

How is your workflow inside hackey trackey? Somehow the Numpad+ and Numpad- need a good alternative on the main qwerty as well, in case you are on a laptop without any numpad section, then handling or the fun of hackey trackey disappears, if you can not do turbo-quick shift-numpad+- shifting of values.
shift-j doing same as Numpad-, shift-k doing same as Numpad+ maybe, vim style.