Old 12-04-2022, 03:53 AM   #1
TheRainEnsemble
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom without mousewheel

So I'm breaking my mousewheels too frequently no matter how expensive they are. It is what it is.
Liked a zoom behaviour in a S1, where you hold Ctrl+Shift and zooming with right drag.

I made it work inside arrange view (arrange view -> right drag -> shift+ctrl -> horizontal zoom), it works perfectly. But when it comes to MIDI editor... There are simply no zoom options (just handscroll, note actions, time actions), it relies on mousewheel. I can't rely on mousewheel.

What do you suggest? Is there any way to implement the same zoom behaviour as in the arrange view but for MIDI editor? Some SWS options? Or REAPER is just not so customizable?

Thanks.
TheRainEnsemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:08 AM   #2
vitalker

You know about Preferences->Mouse modifiers, right? Unfortunately there is no right drag, but there is a left drag for MIDI marker/region lanes context. "Hand scroll and horizontal zoom" is assigned to Ctrl by default. You can change it to other modifier.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:26 AM   #3
TheRainEnsemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You know about Preferences->Mouse modifiers, right? Unfortunately there is no right drag, but there is a left drag for MIDI marker/region lanes context. "Hand scroll and horizontal zoom" is assigned to Ctrl by default. You can change it to other modifier.
Ow thanks! It's definitely better than nothing. Will use it for now, but still open for other suggestions
Old 12-04-2022, 04:27 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainEnsemble View Post
Ow thanks! It's definitely better than nothing. Will use it for now, but still open for other suggestions
You can also change MIDI editor timebase to project sync and zoom in arrange window.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:49 AM   #5
TheRainEnsemble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You can also change MIDI editor timebase to project sync and zoom in arrange window.
That's even closer! If anyone is interested I had to search for it and found in Actions -> Section->Midi Editor -> Timebase: sync to arrange view
Old 12-04-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainEnsemble View Post
That's even closer! If anyone is interested I had to search for it and found in Actions -> Section->Midi Editor -> Timebase: sync to arrange view
It is also in View or Options menu for midi editor. But yes, most of the things you can do with Reaper are available in Actions.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #7
SmoothOperator

While zooming and mouse wheel in Reaper is a little bit of a sore spot for me, it does different things in different places, in non-intuitive ways and sometimes changes settings spuriously when hovering over a control. However, I think your issue is probably best addressed externally, with something like X-mouse that allows for remapping of mouse wheels.

Seriously though a nice mouse is like 8 bucks.
SmoothOperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
dna598

I have this one on a key- seems pretty cool. I keep forgetting to use it, but i installed it because of my poor over used scroll/click finger.

Alkamist zoom tool

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223411
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote