Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
fricia
Human being with feelings

Default Playlist Folders - Pro Tools style playlists [NEW VERSION OUT NOW]

This script is currently in beta! While it is quite stable for me it has not been tested with many different Reaper configurations. Expect bugs.

Here's the thing: While I do appreciate Reapers take system for some use cases the one thing I (and I believe many others) am missing sorely from Reaper is a more flexible way to handle multiple takes. There seems to be a brand new way of recording takes on the way (judging by the pre-releases) but this might still be far of. So I created Playlist Folders for Reaper.

Key features:
  • Create Pro Tools style playlists in Reaper.
  • Record on automatically numbered playlists, then assemble your takes on a target playlist.
  • Cycle through your playlists or move specific playlists to the top.
  • Toggle solo (listen) to specific playlists.
  • All actions (should) work with playlists hidden.
  • All actions (should) work on grouped tracks using Reapers native track grouping system. Use the "Record Arm Lead" parameter (user configurable in the "Playlist Functions" file).
  • Running an action on one track will run it for all grouped tracks. Even without their playlists showing!
  • Playlists are automatically colored and a track layout is assigned to them (Track layout "C" by default). The defaults are configurable in the "Playlist Functions" file.
  • If you ever accidentally move a playlist of a grouped track or want to restore order in your playlist folders you can automatically sort them again by number.

Installation:

I heavily recommend installing the script via ReaPack. Add my repository and your good to go.
Alternatively you can manually download it from GitHub

Requirements:
ReaScripts included in this package:
  • Copy item selection to target playlist
  • Create new playlists for selected tracks
  • Cycle down through playlists
  • Cycle up through playlists
  • Duplicate selected playlist
  • Move selected playlist to top
  • Move target playlist to top
  • Playlist functions (Collection of basic functions that the other scripts need to run)
  • Select all playlists in group with same offset to parent (runs in background)
  • Sort playlists of selected track
  • Toggle listen to playlist
  • Toggle playlist visibility for all tracks
  • Toggle playlist visibility for selected tracks

Things to be aware of:
  • Don't change the playlist name suffix (e.g. .p01 or _t)! You can change the track name, but if you change the suffix the scripts won't work.
  • Be careful when removing playlists! You might end up with several playlists with the same number.
  • In large projects with medium to high playlist counts things might get sluggish (more testing and optimization needed).

Roadmap
  • Currently I just want to see how people like it, if it's useful and how buggy it is. Once the software is out of beta, I will probably add cool new features (like loop recording) that I and other people want/need.

I have used the scripts already in real world tracking sessions and for my workflow the system works really well. My Reaper config is heavily customized, so I'm not quite sure how the scripts will work in other configs, though I did try them in a default Reaper install and that worked out well.
If your interested please try them out and let me know what you think, if you find any bugs, what could be better etc...

You can use Playlist Folders for free. If it has helped you earn more money by making music faster please consider donating (PayPal).
-
-
-

Last edited by fricia; 11-19-2022 at 05:38 AM.
fricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:43 AM   #2
Berg

Interesting, but cannot dezip the file here (OSX).
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:55 AM   #3
OLSHALOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
had the same issue.
unarchiver worked for me...
OLSHALOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
fricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post

Hmmm very weird. I'll try and reupload it tomorrow. You could also download it from Github that should definitely work. I am on Windows and used 7-Zip, I might have overlooked some setting that breaks compatibility.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
fricia

I updated the attached zip file. Let me know if it works for you now.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #6
permeke

I like
permeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 12:27 AM   #7
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricia View Post
Hmmm very weird. I'll try and reupload it tomorrow. You could also download it from Github that should definitely work. I am on Windows and used 7-Zip, I might have overlooked some setting that breaks compatibility.

FYI: this is a bug on the MacOS side. 7zip generates archives which are not decompressable somehow for some MacOS tools – it's like that for many years. To avoid this you have to use other compressors. The Windows Explorer works flawless for that or you could use TotalCommander for finer control.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:30 AM   #8
Oren Sela

Hey! Amazing script..

Is it possible to toggle listen to a playlist but with the rest of the arrangement still playing?
Oren Sela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:13 AM   #9
fricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Sela View Post
Hey! Amazing script..

Is it possible to toggle listen to a playlist but with the rest of the arrangement still playing?
Hey Oren

It is technically possible. The solo solution was just the easiest way for a basic implementation.
But since the new take lane system currently available in the pre-release builds is shaping up to be a solid, native alternative to the current take system I've been a lot less motivated to continue development on my playlist scripts.
So I'm sorry to say that I'm currently not actively continuing development.

EDIT: See post below, there's a new version out

Last edited by fricia; 11-19-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:33 AM   #10
fricia

Default NEW UPDATE!

Hello everyone

A couple months ago I thought I wouldn't continue developing this project, since I figured the new fixed lanes system in the pre-release builds would make my work obsolete. However, since that hasn't come to fruition yet and I have been using my playlist folders a lot recently I decided to have another look at it. So here is a new version that brings some serious improvments.

Changelog v0.9.0:
  • Playlist Folders is now on ReaPack. Check OP for installation instructions.
  • Reworked the listening function. It now works by muting all items on the parent track, remembering their mute states and resetting them when playlist listening is toggled off. The state is also indicate by a change in the track name of the parent.

• Cycling playlists on tracks without playlists now works as expected, aka does nothing.
  • Toggling visibility now properly respects hidden tracks, aka does nothing to them.
  • Fixed various other bugs.

So if anyone is still interested in this I would love to hear your feedback

Last edited by fricia; 11-19-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
JonLinnarson

Your scripts are really great timesavers!

I've never used PT privately, only when I've been working in studios and recorded with other people, but this "playlist folders" method is good approach to takes in any DAW. Hopefully the Cockos devs can improve Reaper's own takes system, but until then, this is a great alternative.

Thanks!
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:50 AM   #12
sockmonkey72

Trying this out, seems really useful and elegant on an initial test drive.

Any chance to move the name decoration to a less prominent location, like notes or track P_EXT chunk data? I'm just speaking for myself, of course, but track name mangling doesn't seem ideal (since it's so easy to screw up, and because it prevents me from using the software as 'normal').

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2022, 04:33 AM   #13
beingmf

Looks really great, but how do I actually use the script(s)? A step-by-step guide would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2022, 12:05 PM   #14
fricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Any chance to move the name decoration to a less prominent location, like notes or track P_EXT chunk data? I'm just speaking for myself, of course, but track name mangling doesn't seem ideal (since it's so easy to screw up, and because it prevents me from using the software as 'normal').
Thanks!
Hey sockmonkey, thanks a lot for your input! The thing is that a big part of the envisioned workflow is being able to easily identify which playlist is which and I can't really think of another place than track names where that information is always visible at a glance. As an added bonus, items are automatically named accordingly when recording.

What does sound like a good idea to me though would be to still automatically name new playlists, but also store that data in the P_EXT chunk. That way the user could freely name tracks if needed, or even turn off auto naming completely. I'll have a look at working with P_EXT (never used it before) and when I have some spare time on my hands look at implementing this.

BTW if you're not aware: You can still rename your tracks. Just the _t and .p00 at the end of the name are needed for the scripts to work. Obviously that's still quite the restriction when naming tracks and as you say it's easy to screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Looks really great, but how do I actually use the script(s)? A step-by-step guide would be helpful. Thanks!
Hey beingmf, are you having problems with the installation or is the workflow not clear? The GIF in the OP should give a basic idea: You record multiple takes on different playlists that you create with the respective action (.p01, .p02 etc). Just select a track and run the action. Then you can copy the parts of each take that you want to use to the target playlist (_t) with the action 'Copy item selection to target playlist'. You can use time selection to copy just the portion of an item (I should probably change the action name to reflect that). The rest of the actions are mostly used to navigate through the playlists.

You can watch some of the tutorials for Pro Tools. It's not quite the same, but should give you a pretty good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lists+tutorial

Hope that helps

Last edited by fricia; 11-21-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
beingmf

Quote:
Hey beingmf, are you having problems with the installation or is the workflow not clear?
Thanks so much, fricia!
Error on my side - I thought that I might somehow convert my already recorded takes into a playlist, but it seems I need to record with an activated playlist from the start, right?
Old 11-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #16
fricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Thanks so much, fricia!
I thought that I might somehow convert my already recorded takes into a playlist...
This could be quite easily achieved by runnig the action 'Explode takes of items across tracks', creating the number of playlists you need on an empty track and then draging the exploded takes to the empty playlists.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:56 AM   #17
dahya

I would love to use this as it looks really useful, but never having used PT Playlists (although I have seen a couple of YT videos on it), I don't have a clue how this works? I don't have a clue in terms of the process - eg Step 1 do this, Step 2 do that....

The supplied GIF (as with most on this forum), go quite quickly, you don't have a clue what is being clicked on, or what action is being run, and so it's hard to follow what is happening.

It would be fantastic if even only a simple YT video (with voice over explaining what is happening) could be created, as I'm sure a lot more people would find this feature really useful, and it would be a shame after all the time and effort that has been spent on this, for people to not use it because they don't know how.
dahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:47 PM   #18
TonE

Not sure what this does as well, having multiple alternatives of same track? Showing in a list, each with a separate name (or version number)? Snapshots, do not they do same? What is the difference?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:15 AM   #19
fricia

Thank you all for your interest! I'll look into making a video tutorial until christmas. Things are always kinda crazy around this time of the year so I hope I'll find time.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #20
johane

Thanks Fricia, really great scripts!
Here's a custom action for duplicate playlist.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 03.03.22.png (139.1 KB, 77 views)
johane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:04 PM   #21
hansip

Default Autocoloring

Hi! I have tested the script and it works like a charm! One thing that would be amazing is to add autocoloring on the items when making a new playlist, so for example when comping together a master take, you have viusal information about what is from where.

Awesome script mate!
hansip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:35 AM   #22
fricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansip View Post
Hi! I have tested the script and it works like a charm! One thing that would be amazing is to add autocoloring on the items when making a new playlist, so for example when comping together a master take, you have viusal information about what is from where.

Awesome script mate!

Hey Hansip, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Live has been a bit crazy around here.

As the fixed item lanes habe progressed tremendously (see Reaper pre-releases) and it seems we'll be getting them sooner rather than later I once again don't really see the point of continuing the development of something that will soon be replaced by a better, native solution. Sorry!
Old 02-22-2023, 07:58 PM   #23
psrpsrpsr

Quote:
Hey beingmf, are you having problems with the installation or is the workflow not clear? The GIF in the OP should give a basic idea: You record multiple takes on different playlists that you create with the respective action (.p01, .p02 etc). Just select a track and run the action. Then you can copy the parts of each take that you want to use to the target playlist (_t) with the action 'Copy item selection to target playlist'. You can use time selection to copy just the portion of an item (I should probably change the action name to reflect that). The rest of the actions are mostly used to navigate through the playlists.
I too am confused about how to use the script. I see the 13 Actions installed in the SiSt_PL_[blah], but running them doesn't seem to do anything. Could you explain to a newbie how this works?

Your gif shows the Drums folder with 4 tracks begin recording after setting the group to Record Arm Lead. Then you create 2 separate recordings, but I can't tell what you're doing in between them... are you running Actions?

If yes, what actions should be run? Do you have them assigned to hotkeys?

Thanks!
psrpsrpsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #24
markus@mark7studios

Firstly, THANK YOU FRICIA!!! - for all the work you've put into adding this functionality to Reaper. In my opinion, the playlisting function of Pro Tools is one of its most useful features and I rely very heavily on it for everyday work in the studio. I've recently decided to start moving away from AVID and Pro Tools as things are getting a little ridiculous on their side now.

I love so much about Reaper and since they've added Track Group Editing this year, I've really become hopeful that I might be able to fully switch to it as my every day DAW. Playlist functionality (or the lack thereof) has been one of the greatest reasons for my hesitating to fully switch over to Reaper.

When I saw your work on this, I got really excited. I've installed everything so far and I've managed to get some of it to work, but feel I'm still missing a bit of info on exactly how to use it. If it would be possible to do a short explainer video or even a post diving into how to use your script properly, I would be really grateful - and I can imagine many others coming from Pro Tools would be too. Thanks once again for your excellent work on this so far - if this ends up working, your work will be a HUGE reason for my switching fully to Reaper.
markus@mark7studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:36 AM   #25
stephenrfrank

Default Made switching from Pro Tools Possible

Just want to say thank you for this! I work vertically as it makes creating SFX variations much easier with visual alignment. This feature has made it possible for me to switch from Pro Tools as the playlist functionality was so critical for my workflow. Thank you for all your work.

Stephen
stephenrfrank is offline   Reply With Quote