Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #41
Remixer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
installing nvidia driver killed X on my system. be careful. No ui. no documentation to pull it back to life.

I love this os so much, I'm going to reinstall it. But just a heads up to the developer.

I hope this comes to full non beta version.
Tnank you for reporting. Nvidia proprietery drivers are not perfect.
How did you installed it? Did you remove any drivers before installation or upgrade kernel?
I can not say that proprietary driver works better on my laptop with GeForce 8400. The only one reason I do installation is a problem with video chip overheating with a build-on linux driver. So if conky shows a normal temperature of you CPU (up to 75), maybe you don't need to change the driver.
You can also try nouveau driver with your card.
Remixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #42
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remixer View Post
Tnank you for reporting. Nvidia proprietery drivers are not perfect.
How did you installed it? Did you remove any drivers before installation or upgrade kernel?
I can not say that proprietary driver works better on my laptop with GeForce 8400. The only one reason I do installation is a problem with video chip overheating with a build-on linux driver. So if conky shows a normal temperature of you CPU (up to 75), maybe you don't need to change the driver.
You can also try nouveau driver with your card.
I installed by the install icon on the desktop of the live cd.
I have a 40 gb partition just for this kind of thing, so I installed it there.
I'm cool without the nvidia drivers honestly.
It works fine, less composting.

- just to let you know,for future reference. what I did was installed the nvidia driver, ran the nvida manager to get dual monitors working saved- reboot-and then I just get a terminal.. ctrl/alt/f7 doesn't work. startx doesn't work.
hope this helps anyone.
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #43
dazastah

Default YOE!!!

So i've had a little play with this and it works pretty good... Straight out of the box... I've tried the ak1(ni audio kontrol one soundcard) Worked with no problems.. Tried a nano korg key and worked fine,,, The akai mpd16(A few timing issues with this. pads triggering irractic which i think is due to the way the actual mpd16 hardware is designed non class compliant?)Still it worked and connected without having to dabble into linux code. Powering the mpd16 with usb then using it through the midi in of the audio kontrol worked flawlessly!! I haven't tested reaper fully with a massive project yet... But this remix os is really promising!!! Great work to bundle reaper all pre set with a super lite gui linux.

Cheers Remixer..

ps.. I'm gonna have a crack at installing kore 2.... any thing i should know before i start installing stuff???

Cheers..
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #44
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazastah View Post
So i've had a little play with this and it works pretty good... Straight out of the box... I've tried the ak1(ni audio kontrol one soundcard) Worked with no problems.. Tried a nano korg key and worked fine,,, The akai mpd16(A few timing issues with this. pads triggering irractic which i think is due to the way the actual mpd16 hardware is designed non class compliant?)Still it worked and connected without having to dabble into linux code. Powering the mpd16 with usb then using it through the midi in of the audio kontrol worked flawlessly!! I haven't tested reaper fully with a massive project yet... But this remix os is really promising!!! Great work to bundle reaper all pre set with a super lite gui linux.

Cheers Remixer..

ps.. I'm gonna have a crack at installing kore 2.... any thing i should know before i start installing stuff???

Cheers..
Thank you!
I can not tell anything about kore 2 installation. You can try and write about your experience here.
The only one thing: you should install it through the LinReaper Options - VST plugins dialogue.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #45
Smurf

Well I FINALLY got it downloaded....

System
ASRock M3A770DE
4gb Kingston DDR3 1333 ram
250gbATA, 2x500gb, 1 1tb SATA HDD's
1gb nVidia PCIx Video Card
Delta66 SC

I read thru the manual & followed the directions for downloading/updating, and here is what I got so far after 5 hours of working with it.....

Right off the bat it can not find all 4 ins/outs for my Delta66 card. I thought it might be the Jack crap, but I can not even get ALSA to show up or download. This is running the OS both live and installed on its own HDD...

I loaded my lic in Reaper no problem, but any VST's I have tried to load so far has locked it up solid. These include...

Free
Ambience, Bootsie, Antress, Classic Series

Paid For
DDMF EQ's, Sonnox, Breverb, Vahalla

Any Amp Sim

This was done installing according to the manual, and just trying the .dll's from a folder.

I did not try any VSTi's

The OS is only finding 2 of my 4 cores on the AMD Phenom. It is only finding 2.8gb of my memory where all other linux find 3.2gb on this system.

It would not load beside XP, and in fact corrupted the MBR to where XP would not load. A quick reload of the MBR fixed that.

It would not install from the automatic settings nor would it run after installing it on the HDD when using the Automatically Sign In setting. I had to manually partion the drive and make sure that I had to sign in every time the OS was loaded.

Now before you think I hate the OS, I don't, really!

It loads FAST!

It connects to the net quick, and Firefox seems to be quicker than on XP

It has played every audio & video file I have tossed at it fine. All the "other" programs load & work great, better than on my favorite linux, Mepis.

Everthing looks crisp & clear in the OS...text, colors, the edges of every box, icons, and video look sharp & crisp!

Now I am not going to unload it & run back to XP or try to dual boot just yet, in case there are any ideas out there. I have played around with Linux for a few years, and know a LITTLE under the hood stuff, but I am really not wanting to get my hands dirty, if you know what I mean.....if I have to start doing scripts & all that jazz I might as well stick with Mepis..I got this far installing Wine & Reaper myself! LOL
Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I loaded my lic in Reaper no problem, but any VST's I have tried to load so far has locked it up solid. These include...

Free
Ambience, Bootsie, Antress, Classic Series...

...The OS is only finding 2 of my 4 cores on the AMD Phenom. It is only finding 2.8gb of my memory where all other linux find 3.2gb on this system.
1) I don't know, what you did wrong with vst installation. Did you setup vst folder in Reaper vst options?
I checked Ambience and Bootsie plugins - they all work fine.

2) I can't check Remix_OS with 4 cores system with 4 gigs. Please, open terminal, type "free" command and paste the output here. Then do the same with "lscpu".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot - 05092011 - 12:15:05 PM.jpg (59.5 KB, 414 views)
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #47
Smurf

OK, here is the info you wanted....

{~) %Free
Total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2983412 289816 2693596 0 16640 147812

-/+ buffers/cache: 125346 2858048

Swap: 9822204 0 9822204

=====

Architecture: i686

CPU op-mode(s): 64bit

CPU(s): 4

Threads per core: 1

Cores per socket: 4

CPU sockets: 1

Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD

CPU family: 16

Model: 5

Stepping: 2

CPU MHz: 2894.122

Virtualization: AMD-V

L1d cache: 64K

L1i cache: 64K

L2 cache: 512K

L3 cache: 6144K

=====

I installed the VST’s using the LinReaper Options, and by createing a folder in the Wine/Reaper area & dragging the .dll’s there, and also by placing the .dill’s in the Reaper Plug-In folder (after removing the previous .dll’s of course)...so I don’t have a clue at the moment.

I hope this helps, and let me know if ya need anything else!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #48
Remixer

1) Yes, it really detects only 2.82 Gb of your memory and won't find more (
Remix_OS is a 32-bit system and has limitation of 4Gb, including video memory (you have 1Gb with your nVidia). If another linux shows 3,2Gb, it means you use 64-bit one.
Hope to release 64-bit version of Remix_OS soon, so you can use additional 400 Mb )

2) All your CPU's are in use. It's just conky configured to show 2 of them. If you want to see 4 CPU bars on your screen, you have to edit /home/<user>/.concyrc file.

3) Did you register VST folder inside Reaper (Options -> Preferences -> VST)?

Last edited by Remixer; 05-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #49
Acker

"1) Yes, it really detects only 2.82 Gb of your memory and won't find more (
Remix_OS is a 32-bit system and has limitation of 4Gb, including video memory (you have 1Gb with your nVidia). If another linux shows 3,2Gb, it means you use 64-bit one.
Hope to release 64-bit version of Remix_OS soon, so you can use 400 Mb more )"

I think it it is possible to run a kernel with the PAE Extension. It's the default kernel with my Ubuntu - 32bit but full 4 Gigs of RAM.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
Acker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker View Post
I think it it is possible to run a kernel with the PAE Extension. It's the default kernel with my Ubuntu - 32bit but full 4 Gigs of RAM.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE
It will roll-back to generic kernel without real-time support.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #51
bennisixx

remixer,

I assume when you update it you'll post. Am I right?

Thanks for your hard work
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #52
Smurf

Thanks for the info Remixer! BUT......

I just placed my Mepis 8.5 live dvd in before I came here, and while it is true that the 64bit version will access & list all 4gb of memory, the 32bit version is listing 3.2gig, and 512mb for the video card (tho it has 1gb built in). I have not ran my Gamer, Mint, ArtistX, Open Suse, 11.3, or Debian 7.05 Live dvd’s yet to verify this, but I am sure that they also will read 3.2gb in the 32bit versions like I remember.

And yes, I did register the VST folder inside Reaper (Options -> Preferences -> VST), but I still have no joy after going back and again loading these up.

And really, none of this is as bothersome as not having acess to all 4 in/outs on my Delta66 sound card. I went thru & updated the ALSA drivers thru the Package Manager, but I still have no mixer to control it with...*sigh**...I will be spending tonight looking for a solution to this problem for sure!

And again I want to say that I am NOT dogging the OS, it takes a lot of work & dedication to get one of these up & running, and you have done a great job! These are just problems that I am having & reporting at the moment. If I get the Delta66 card figured out I will let folks know!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #53
bennisixx

dual monitors working!

do not install nvidia drivers. Installed nouveau driver and firmware.

reboot

good to go.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #54
dazastah

Quote:
Thank you!
I can not tell anything about kore 2 installation. You can try and write about your experience here.
The only one thing: you should install it through the LinReaper Options - VST plugins dialogue.
installing with linrepaer options

-So first issue installing kore 2 is the driver..
error message( Preinstallation of the AVS device driver failed. Setup will abort.)
From googling i found that this is a 32bit 64bit issue... (As in the istall is trying to install a 64 driver onto and 32bit system or vice versa?)
-Service centre registers that all ni products are active on the system. But when i start kore 2 standalone it wants me to activate... And i cant see details of whats activated..???
-Kore 2 standalone(indemo mode) Cant see any samples or presets anywhere... Thus i can only run empty kore 2 shell...
-kore 2 standalone finds winasio fine.. But couldn't test it with any vsts or sounds patches...

Installing without lin reaperoptions..
-cant install kore 2 driver error message( Preinstallation of the AVS device driver failed. Setup will abort.)
-standalone version works and registers activation with service centre.
-standalone version see's samples and included engines.
-standalone doesn't have option for wineasio
-vst version is not registered or activated?
-vst version doesn't see any of the vst's or included sounds patches..
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #55
Remixer

Quote:
Thanks for the info Remixer! BUT......

I just placed my Mepis 8.5 live dvd in before I came here, and while it is true that the 64bit version will access & list all 4gb of memory, the 32bit version is listing 3.2gig, and 512mb for the video card (tho it has 1gb built in). I have not ran my Gamer, Mint, ArtistX, Open Suse, 11.3, or Debian 7.05 Live dvd’s yet to verify this, but I am sure that they also will read 3.2gb in the 32bit versions like I remember.
It could mean that 32-bit Mepis doesn't use all video memory. Let's find out it. Please run "lspci -vv | less" command in terminal and press "Enter" few times, until you get to the video card info (it begins with something like "VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation..."), then copy/paste that block here.

Quote:
And yes, I did register the VST folder inside Reaper (Options -> Preferences -> VST), but I still have no joy after going back and again loading these up.
Still have no idea. For me VST's work fine. Did you click the "Re-scan" button?

Quote:
And really, none of this is as bothersome as not having acess to all 4 in/outs on my Delta66 sound card. I went thru & updated the ALSA drivers thru the Package Manager, but I still have no mixer to control it with...*sigh**...I will be spending tonight looking for a solution to this problem for sure!
You have to control it form JACK - not from alsa. Go to Multimedia -> Root JACK Ctl, then click on "Setup" and press "Interface"-">" arrow.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #56
Remixer

Quote:
dual monitors working!

do not install nvidia drivers. Installed nouveau driver and firmware.

reboot

good to go.
Good news!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #57
Remixer

Quote:
installing with linrepaer options

-So first issue installing kore 2 is the driver..
error message( Preinstallation of the AVS device driver failed. Setup will abort.)
From googling i found that this is a 32bit 64bit issue... (As in the istall is trying to install a 64 driver onto and 32bit system or vice versa?)
That's the reason it doesn't work. You have to find the way to instll 32-bit driver - wine doesn't support 64-bit software. Are you running 64-bit computer?

Quote:
Installing without lin reaperoptions..
That won't work from normal user. You have to install it from root. But the only one way to connect your kore 2 with Reaper is using the LinReaper script.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #58
dazastah

I think there is a way to force install the 32bit driver... Wonder why it thinks its a 64 bit os though??
some windows user's where getting this same error but i didn't read further.

mite try and leave the kore 2 install as default through linreaper and see if it can scan the sample file libraries this time...

That won't work from normal user. You have to install it from root. But the only one way to connect your kore 2 with Reaper is using the LinReaper script.

As in the kore 2 controller or just the software?
So is the linreaper script just make you root when you install through wine?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #59
Remixer

Quote:
As in the kore 2 controller or just the software?
Both, I think.

Quote:
So is the linreaper script just make you root when you install through wine?
In Remix_OS Reaper is installed from root with LinReaper script. It has it's own wine framework and doesn't interfere with other wine software. Wineasio is also registered in root, that's why you don't see it from user.
When creating a distro, there is no correct way to install wine software as user. Also the root installation has one advise - Reaper has no problems with permissions and can access to any folder and any partition.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #60
Smurf

OK, here is my final report....

I zero filled the 250gb ATA drive overnight. I then got up this morning and loaded up ReMix onto it. There is just the OS drive, DVD drive, nVidia GeForce 9600 1gb card (I had this wrong before, sorry) and my Delta66 card. The built-in sound chip is disabled in the BIOS.

Bottom line is this Beta does not like my system. I have spent close to 11 hours straight trying to get it to identify my sc, but no go. I have tried all sugestions from here (was checking in all day), hit a ton of forums, downloaded the newest Frontier OSS drivers (which none even came close to installing, these were .deb, rpm, and .tar) Grabbed drivers from Ubuntu. Tried every combination in Jack. If I had anything but the default selelcted there was no audio card listed at all in Reaper.

Downloaded 5 versions of the M-Audio win drivers & installed them in Wine.....no go.

The os shows the right mixers in the list....Echomixer, Envy24, HDSP....none work.

I was not going to mess with the kernal, but maybe it does not have what it needs for my Delta66? just tossing this out there as a possibillity....

While doing this I swapped the card between the 3 PCI slots. I ran the OS, no change. I then reloaded the OS with the card in each slot....no go...I had the OMNI box turned on, turned off, disconected.....no go.....

I tried loading various VST-VSTi’s from my system using Wine, just the .dll’s...tried the suggestions here......no go....so I give for now.

I will keep an eye on this tho, it is FAST at everything else, just FOR ME, it don’t work.

As a side note I just downloaded the newest Mepis 11, both 32 & 64bit....loaded both, and the Delta card was found by name, with all 4 in/outs working fine in Audacity. I am heading off now to grab the newest Wine & will load Reaper to see what happens.

I look forward to hearing others experiance with this!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #61
Schprocket

@dazastah (and Remixer)

I have the original Kore Controller with the integrated soundcard.

Out-of-the-box, I need no drivers. I just followed the instruction for selecting the hardware in Root Jack Ctl, selected hw:1 which had Kore Controller adjacent to it in the hardware list, and left everything as default.

Looking at Reaper's routing matrix, I have both input channels and the first pair of output channels available but not the secondary output channel pair (headphone socket).

Playback and recording with these channels seems fine.

LinRepear doesn't bring up the Audio preferences dialog box for me; I have to drill down to it in Reaper itself.
Whilst I don't see any audio I/O channels for the Kore Controller selectable under Audio -> Device, I can see the MIDI I/O ports.

As this is a live-dvd evaluation to see if it warrants investing in a new HDD (rather give the OS it's own space and boot from BIOS - I've "broken" too many HDD boot sectors messing around with multi-booting on one drive), I'm not installing any of my KORE instruments as yet.

I also found this http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/...-with-wineasio so this might help people with hardware issues... maybe even Smurf

HOWEVER - and this is off-topic for Reaper but on-topic for Remix - at this stage I have no native linux audio available through the Kore Controller.

Both Audacious and Audacity visually indicate they they are playing back audio even though nothing is audible.

If I set JACK back to Default, the apps issue a dialogue box about a pcm device not being ready/available, so I know I've got part of the setup correct and I'm wondering what painfully obvious setting it is that I've overlooked

These aren't complaints as I'm aware that this is a beta.
I'm also more of an infrequent dabbler with linux rather than a hard-core CLI-type, and JACK I've only had very little to do with in OSX with another DAW, so I'm hoping I just need some guidance getting the linux audio cranking.

One more thing which might help - the mixer plugin (right-click on the speaker icon in the 'tray') only shows the onboard soundcard as being selectable -> Realtek ALC887 (OSS Mixer).

Edit - Also found this with respect to wineASIO I/O setup - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1163106 - but it's not something I can do with the live-dvd, is it?

Edit 2 - Just plugged the 'phones into the onboard soundcard andfound that's where the two linux apps mentioned earlier are routed.

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Schprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #62
Remixer

Quote:
OK, here is my final report....
Thanks for your report.
I would like to see Remix_OS working with any common hardware, so I need your help to find the solution.
Please, post the outputs of the following commands:

cat /proc/asound/cards

lspci

aplay -l

cat /proc/interrupts
Old 05-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #63
Remixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schprocket View Post
One more thing which might help - the mixer plugin (right-click on the speaker icon in the 'tray') only shows the onboard soundcard as being selectable -> Realtek ALC887 (OSS Mixer).
Try GNOME ALSA Mixer from Multimedia menu.

Quote:
Edit - Also found this with respect to wineASIO I/O setup - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1163106 - but it's not something I can do with the live-dvd, is it?
Thank you for the useful info. I will setup 8 default in/out's in the next release and add the configuration instruction to the help file.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #64
Remixer

Quote:
HOWEVER - and this is off-topic for Reaper but on-topic for Remix - at this stage I have no native linux audio available through the Kore Controller.
You have to stream it from jack
1) Open Multimedia - JACK Ctl and choose your card.
2) Start JACK
3) Configure audio player to use JACK plugin in preferences.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #65
dazastah

[QUOTE=Schprocket;739895]@dazastah (and Remixer)

I have the original Kore Controller with the integrated soundcard.

Out-of-the-box, I need no drivers. I just followed the instruction for selecting the hardware in Root Jack Ctl, selected hw:1 which had Kore Controller adjacent to it in the hardware list, and left everything as default.

i have kore 2. Have you actuallly got teh wardware talkting to the kore software?

@remixer I've figured that I need some sort of shell script to run kore 2 as standalone root ,(like the reaper sym link to reaper.sh) so that it can access the other files And the wineasio driver .. I noticed that the first time it runs(When installing from Linreaperoptions) It opens correctly, with the wineasio driver and all sample files with software(including all the kore2 engines.. kontakt.. guitar rig.. etc)..

Gonna get kore software running first.. then have a crack at getting the controller to work with the software!...

This is fun!!!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #66
Schprocket

Quote:
Quote:
@dazastah (and Remixer)

i have kore 2. Have you actuallly got teh wardware talkting to the kore software?
I see you're so excited that it's got you finger-tied, Daz!

Nope, just got the soundcard working but I've yet to test the MIDI.

Isn't there some Reaper controller file floating around for the KORE controllers?

I vaguely remember reading about one for using the transport buttons but I can't remember if the KORE 2 H/ware has those. I'm pretty sure they're assignable to MIDI commands so that might be the direction you need to go for checking your KORE 2.

Running the KORE 2 software itself under Linux is another matter although I'd expect this info will be on NI's site or probably on the Ubuntu site, like the other info I tripped over in Google...

@Remixer: I knew it was something on the human-side of the keyboard that was giving me the routing-in-linux issue...
Just wondering if I have room for another drive inside the case or if it's going to be external... I feel an install coming on...

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-11-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
Smurf

Quote:
Thanks for your report.
I would like to see Remix_OS working with any common hardware, so I need your help to find the solution.
I will have this for you tonight...

And thanks for the link Schprocket.....man, your name sounds SO familiar.....
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #68
Smurf

OK, here are the screenshots you asked for Remixer....I hope they help!

Also, I just noticed that the ReMix OS Theme looks like one of my favorites for Reaper....
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #69
bennisixx

good news, although I cant get my emu 1212m pcie up and running, I did install FFADO through synaptic and changed jack to firewire and ta-da! Fa-66 working. report more soon. Firewire never worked so good. On linux
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #70
Smurf

Good News bennisixx!

I have been playing with Wine ASIO tonight, but no joy for me. I will wait until the next release to see how it goes!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #71
bennisixx

Quote:
Good News bennisixx!

I have been playing with Wine ASIO tonight, but no joy for me. I will wait until the next release to see how it goes!
yeah but yo
u only get one shot with jack, if you change anything...reboot required
shutdown jack and want to restart it....reboot required
for some reason it wont allow jack to start with aplication even with checkbox ticked.

I will say though i did a sypathetic link to my vst partition/folder(installed under xp) ...boom all vsts work...good times.

I hope this will be upgradeable, as I have modded the hell out of it .....going to get banshee tomorrow to run jack on native music playback.

once again thank you remixer.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 AM   #72
Remixer

Quote:
OK, here are the screenshots you asked for Remixer....I hope they help!
All outpts show your card is recognized by OS and works ok.
Type "sudo envy24control" for settings.
And you didn't answer: do you click on the horizontal(!) arrow in Root Jack Ctl -> Setup -> Iterface?

Quote:
Also, I just noticed that the ReMix OS Theme looks like one of my favorites for Reaper....
I spent few months of testing to get the simple, cool and fast interface, well-looked with Reaper.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #73
Remixer

Quote:
I did install FFADO
Think I should install it for the next release, if it won't interfere with other drivers.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #74
JonnyGinese

This is going to sound really dumb...
How is it that you have Windows only plugins and stuff running in Linux? Are you running a windows app emulator for each instance? or just for the Reaper Program and then Reaper looks at the .DLLs like its windows?

Just wondering HOW compatible other VST and VSTi's will be.
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #75
Schprocket

This is one that I think I can actually answer... maybe over-simplistically as I'm that dangerous

When you run a Windows app in WINE it basically emulates a Windows PC just for that app.
This includes your more typical windows folders.

As long as you can drag'n'drop the VSTs into the appropriate folder that Reaper (under WINE) expects them to be, they'll be fine. Reaper will pick up the DLLs and operate with them as usual with no requirement for a separate instance of WINE to be running.

The only time I see an issue - because I'm no linux expert - is where you can't get around having to perform an install. I'm guessing this is where the LinReaper app kicks in.

If you can get your head past the opening paragraphs of linux-speak, this description tells you a bit more about how the plug-ins are handled - look for the section that starts with "why no folder for "vsts" ? you may ask"

At the moment, dazastah is wrestling with installing Native Instruments' Kore 2, so it's going to be interesting to see how he fares. There is a Linux section on the NI forum though so the answer might be a matter of trawling...

@ everyone else: there's some info at WINEhq listing the successes, failures and any workarounds for Windows apps operating under WINE at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...e+Applications

@ my mate Smurf - have you seen this?

From the linked article (emphasis added):

Quote:
The test platform for this article was restricted to Ubuntu 10.04, the Lucid Lynx release, in its 32-bit incarnation. Most Windows-based music software is still in 32-bit versions, a situation especially true for VST/VSTi plugins. That situation is changing rapidly these days, but I preferred to test under conditions typical on the original platform. The audio hardware included an M-Audio Delta 66 digital audio interface and a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard, managed by the ALSA kernel drivers (version 1.0.20) and the JACK audio server (version 0.119.0, a.k.a. Jack1).

Last edited by Schprocket; 05-12-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Added the KVR link re: installing audio app in WINE
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #76
Smurf

Quote:
All outpts show your card is recognized by OS and works ok.
Type "sudo envy24control" for settings.
I mentioned that it is showing up, and that the correct mixer IS in the list, the problem is I am not getting ALL 4 in/outs, just 2. Other than that the OS works good so far!

Quote:
And you didn't answer: do you click on the horizontal(!) arrow in Root Jack Ctl -> Setup -> Iterface?

Sorry about that, yes I did use that control, I also just realized that I never did post the info for the video card....do you still need this, or was there enough info included in the screen shots I posted?

Quote:
I spent few months of testing to get the simple, cool and fast interface, well-looked with Reaper.
It reminds me of the Apollo Theme, which is the one I use the most anymore...JonnyGinese would like it .....it makes the whole system look very cool IMHO!!!

I will give the sudo envy24control command a try later this afternoon and will let ya know how it goes!

And Mr S, I seen that and am going to re-read that article again, this ReMix OS is SO close to being my "dream" M$ DAW killer.....I NEED it to work! LOL
Old 05-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #77
dazastah

Ok !!
So I feel really retarted for the other night as,
Kore 2 software actually loads all program paths and instruments and stuff(with linreaper options)haha
You must load the kore2exe(after installing) with linreaper options installer(vst installer) .

Only thing that doesn't work for some reason is the midi(AS in just using a normal midi controller that works in linux to play the instruments loaded in standalone mode).... yet. I must be doing something wrong...

Haven't given the actuall kore2 vst plug a go yet within reaper so i'll give it a go.. But this is cool news!!!

But It's working as a registered version with wineasio..
YEAH!

ps.. I'll be taking a week off... On a short holiday... !! Wishing everyone good luck and advancement!!!!!
woohoo!!!

Last edited by dazastah; 05-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #78
Remixer

Quote:
I mentioned that it is showing up, and that the correct mixer IS in the list, the problem is I am not getting ALL 4 in/outs, just 2.
To have 4 in/outputs in Reaper:

1) Create root. Type in terminal <sudo passwd>. You will be promted for your password and for a new one for root (2 times).

2) Logout and login as root.

3) Create a file in </root> folder and name it <.wineasiocfg>.

4) Copy/paste to that file the following lines:

ASIO_INPUTS=4
ASIO_OUTPUTS=4
ASIO_INPORTNAME<n>
ASIO_OUTPORTNAME<n>
ASIO_INPORT<n>
ASIO_OUTPORT<n>
<clientname>

5) Save the file.

6) Type in terminal <regsvr32 /usr/lib/wine/wineasio.dll.so>

6) Logout and login as user

7) Type in terminal <sudo passwd -l root>
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #79
Schprocket

Quote:
Ok !!
So I feel really retarted for the other night as,
Kore 2 software actually loads all program paths and instruments and stuff(with linreaper options)haha
You must load the kore2exe(after installing) with linreaper options installer(vst installer) .

Only thing that doesn't work for some reason is the midi(AS in just using a normal midi controller that works in linux to play the instruments loaded in standalone mode).... yet. I must be doing something wrong...

Haven't given the actuall kore2 vst plug a go yet within reaper so i'll give it a go.. But this is cool news!!!

But It's working as a registered version with wineasio..
YEAH!

ps.. I'll be taking a week off... On a short holiday... !! Wishing everyone good luck and advancement!!!!!
woohoo!!!
Daz, when you have KORE 2 VST running in Reaper (stand-alone doesn't phase me much), would you mind posting a how-to, please? It'd be appreciated

Smurf, I help where I can, buddy. I'm sure I owe you...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #80
Smurf

Nah, ya don't owe me at all Mr S!

And after following the last set of instructions Remixer, I can now select in/outs 1-4 in Reaper, but now I have no sound at all....anywhere.....videos, mpg, .wav....nothing is playing back now!

**sigh**

I give for tonight, this is getting too much like setting everything up in Mepis, which is what I am trying to avoid ...

I will check back in tommorow to see if there are anything else posted.