Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Against_Demons
Human being with feelings

Default Six year Vegas user

First let me say that the very first piece of software I ever used was Samplitude bundle with my Ardvark card. Loved it but that Ardvark had major problems at the time . So I bought a Delta 1010 in 2000, wich then came with vegas. I wrote and mixed many of my master pieces on the earlier versions. Neeedless to say I became sick with the direction that piece of software decided to go. Reaper is a gift from the collective that I can only bow to.
Justin, you have gone back in time and stopped doc from using plutonium (for the DeLorean) in the first place. and have gone striaght to fusion! Roads... who needs roads?!!!!!

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

Be respected as being new, and probably a decent change or a help for the human race or whatever, instead of keep carrying the same old burdens around with you.
-all Jimi hendrix

Last edited by Against_Demons; 03-23-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Against_Demons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

I've never used or seen Vegas, so out of curiosity I'd be interested to know whether, in comparison to Vegas, Reaper is chiefly significant for what it's left out that nobody wants, or where it's a matter of what's been put in that everybody wanted and didn't get in Vegas - and if so, what?

I suppose another way of putting it would be, how would you sell Reaper to a Vegas user (who has already invested in it?).
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Well, your in good company

Many of the guys here, the ones in the IRC pushing Justin for features, are Vegas users

Check the "whats new" readme with reaper and read back through the versions. You will see that all the vegas features had pretty high priority

BUT

Think of the parts of Vegas you screamed for for 6 years:
Multiple tempos per project
Gridlines without needing to snap
Mono routing
fx send pans
Buss to buss sends

and

MIDI !

they're in there

look around at the handles of the forum posters here, and if you are a Vegan, you will see many familiar faces. You will notice the loudest of the Crossfade members here as well, so you're in great company as a vegas user!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I've never used or seen Vegas
Quote:
how would you sell Reaper to a Vegas user?
Thanks for that - a bit of confusion arising from what I wrote - I'm 100% non-Vegas, but I know a guy who is, hence the "how would you sell it" bit.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
eidenk

Vegas is primarily a video editor or am I wrong ?
eidenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #6
Ben Zero

Yup. You are.
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
eidenk

This looks to me like a video editor :

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=965

Maybe it's not that Vegas you are speaking about.

I have just read they say some use it only for audio so good it is.
eidenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
fluffy

Vegas was an audio editor first. There were, at one time, two versions. Vegas Audio and Vegas Video. The simply combined them into a single product.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #9
MJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidenk
Vegas was born an Audio Multi-track Recorder/editor. Video wasn't introduced until version 3, it's now up to version 6.

Vegas, Sound Forge and Acid were originally built by Sonic Foundry, Sony bought them out something like 2 years ago just after Vegas 4.

Quote:
This looks to me like a video editor :

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=965

Maybe it's not that Vegas you are speaking about.

I have just read they say some use it only for audio so good it is.
Yes that is the Vegas we are speaking of. The thing that irks many on the audio side is the audio features added at each version release since Vegas 4 have seemingly taken a back seat to the video additions.

I can see Sony's point of view if you consider the fact that humans are mainly visual creatures and there are many more potential video customers than audio. Just think how many people are running around with camcorders these days.

That said, Vegas is still a tremendous MTR/editor plus an awesome video editor (NLE). I happen to use both sides of the app. but started with it as strictly audio.

Most of the video people don't even have a clue as to it's audio capabilities, they don't even know the features are there.

MJ
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
fluffy

By the way, the video editing capabilities of Vegas are stunning.

When I bought Samplitude, it was basically between that and Vegas. Samp won out because it has a few features I liked (onboard waveform editing, one of the best cd burning apps I've seen, etc.) but I remember really being impressed with Vegas. I've still got a copy of Vegas Le around here somewhere, which I got when I bought Acid Pro 3.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
Rednroll

Quote:
Yeah...that's a sore topic with a lot of us Vegas Audio users, so you'll get a lot of responses for that statement. Vegas was originally developed as an Audio multitrack app. It was marketed to be the follow up to Sound Forge on the audio side, but a multitrack audio app compliement to Sound Forge. A lot of the Vegas users over here that you'll see where audio beta testers for Vegas since day one. Vegas hit the ground running on the audio side. Then in Vegas 3 they added video editing features. Things started to progress slower and slower on the audio side, yet us loyal audio users where told Vegas will continue to grow on it's audio features. They did, but now lagging many other apps in modern workflow functionality. A lot of us patiently but frustrately waited, because we loved the app while others just got fed up and jumped ship. Vegas 5 was actually a significant Audio upgrade....well significant in comparisons to the previous releases, so we decided to stick it out a bit longer. Then Vegas 6 hit the door and we literally got "1" audio feature which was "VST FX" support. On top of that, that one audo feature was fucked up in it's functionality and still is to this day.

Vegas audio users have been jacked around for a long time. There is no real hard sell for the Vegas users. Give them an app that has the majority of the Vegas functionality with a developer that listens to their needs and you're done. Justin has pretty much covered both sides of that equation already. He is actually blowing away most of us current Vegas users, because things that we've jumped up and down pleading for to be in Vegas that took at least 3 development cycles to get into Vegas are implemented within 1 week sometimes. It took pretty much the entire collective audio group to pack up their bags and leave and now Sony seems to be finally listening to their users with a major Acid 6 release. Well, that's finally good to see for a lot of us, but there's no real strong relationship that's been built up between Sony and their users any longer. So while Acid 6 looks good today we can no longer depend on them that their development will remain in our best interest. With their track record, Acid 7 could very well be a Video loop sequencer next with a killer word processor in it.

The lead bone head over at Sony even went as far as to ban me from their forums and all their beta teams because I was having discussions with other users about Vegas 6 and pointing out it's short comings on the audio side. I helped other users in their forums with questions on a daily basis and I was also a beta tester on Sound Forge, Acid, Vegas, and CD Architect. Where's the love from Sony in return? There is none.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-24-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
Against_Demons

Rednroll pretty much hit it. But I would also add that the fact it'll be $20 or so is a huge selling point on top of that. I can't tell you how many Collaborators I've helped build a daw that would not spend $300+ for an additional piece of software. I could have sold vegas to many people if it was any where near this price. They uasually stick with what ever was bundeld with their card like cubasis,cakewalk something or other,etc. Now reaper will be sold this way by people like me that are in the know and want to walk into someones studio with a project cd in hand and see reaper on the screen.
Against_Demons is offline   Reply With Quote