Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #121
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

i don't really care don't think i'll ever use rex files.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #122
Tallisman

Ha!
[img]http://img352.**************/img352/9633/rolleyes1ei.gif[/img]

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #123
Dstruct

oops

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=43

Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #124
Lawrence

I vote against creating grooves from Rex (or anything else) by default on import. IMHO, grooves should only be created when the user asks them to be created. I might import a 8 bar rex but only want the groove from the middle 4 bars.

With that in mind, and Reaper's current transient detection function, grooves (when they are added) should be random to the current selection, whether that's half a rex file and half an mp3... whatever is in those 8 bars or whatever.

Grooves aren't "midi" per-se, they're just timing markers with velocity information. I say those two things, rex support and groove extraction, are two seperate functions and should remain so. Grooves are just non-standard quantize presets.

The first step to grooves are extracting quantanization data from midi files, and then later doing the same with *any* audio file... not just rex.

My .02

Let me add I would certainly settle for manual groove creation.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-27-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #125
Kainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
oh... so you trigger the same samples in the sampler... see I often use the midi to trigger entirely different samples - using the rex midi data for feel and if I could clone the velocities then it would sound much more natural.

I still vote for capturing the relative velocity, as it is easy enough to select all notes and drag the handle... MUCH EASIER THAN GOING THE OTHER DIRECTION.

whatdoyathinkofthat?
.t

I´m with you Talli.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 AM   #126
ArdeII

If Reaper gets REX 2 support, I'll wet my pants

Now is your time to shine schwa!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #127
boka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdeII View Post

keep your eyes on the AP as well... i wonder what you'll do with your pants if that one comes true because importance of the two is not really comparable imho.

Last edited by boka; 08-29-2008 at 03:46 AM.
boka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #128
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdeII View Post

better start drinking some tea.

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #129
airon

Will the Rex2 import be intuitive for new users ?

Live 7 is highly specialized, but Reaper aims to be free in what the user can do, at the same time complicating matters, as the automation concepts at this time do.

People will certainly wish to create these types of loops from audio material in the timeline and use all the functions you can process these Rex-loops with right alongside. This should be kept in mind and shelved for the following innovative push in that area. Creating your own loops is what it's all about for most folks and nobody wants to buy Recycle any longer.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM   #130
livedead13

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
People will certainly wish to create these types of loops from audio material in the timeline and use all the functions you can process these Rex-loops with right alongside. This should be kept in mind and shelved for the following innovative push in that area. Creating your own loops is what it's all about for most folks and nobody wants to buy Recycle any longer.
if you want to create a rex file, you still need Recycle, as that is the only program that can create them.
livedead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #131
spriamos

Default rex file import support

rex file import would be perfect.My entire library is based on rex files....
spriamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #132
JoseCM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
I beg to differ.

please please, pretty pretty please.
the Groove to midi is very important.
perhaps it could be done after the fact like such:

if Reaper had some sort of transient detector... one that was used to split items, then perhaps it could have a tick box that reads create midi file.

then we could draw a time selection on an item... use the detector to split that according to the auto-detected (and manually tweaked) transients... enable the midi file output and pressing go would: split the time selection out of the original item. Turn it into schwa groovy rex grouped item and place a midi item below it in FIPM mode! Even better would be the option to add groove to midi/grid template, which I envision as part of Groove quantize evolved... imagine having the ability to superimpose a groove from a midi item or audio item on the arrange time line as a snap-to grid (in addition to the midi editor as a quantize grid)

*wipes drool

.t
I find this thread a bit confusing, in the sense that several concepts get mixed here. I am no expert (God forbid!), but I see here:

1. REX2 format. Only created by ReCycle, period. Within ReCycle, a fair amount of manipulation can take place, but AFAIK, once it is exported as rex2 file, it is just an audio file with markers at transients from which compatible apps can derive a midi file. "Slices" are just regions, not distinct clips, so any recombining of them MUST be done referencing them, and that is done using midi. No app that I know physically split a REX2 file to clips that can be rearranged just as audio.

I say this because the concept of "native REX support" has been mentioned here, and I really do not get what is meant by this, because I believe that importing a REX2 file directly into an audio track, handy as it might be, is several steps behind loading it into a dedicated player, since it defeats the main advantage of it, which is rearranging and manipulating the slices and just gives us a worse version of Acid files...which leads us to the next point:

2. Tempo stretching. REX2 does not do any time stretching. Unlike Acid, it just takes the slices and plays them back faster (good) or slower (no as good), with some cross fading and other simple tricks to make up for the shorter or wider gaps, but no real DSP is involved. That is why its main use is drums or other percussive loops, and gives poor results with sustained sounds. Craig Anderton even suggests taking a mixed approach and using REX2 for dry drum sounds, and Acid for overhead mics wherever possible.

3. Compatibility of existing libraries. Of course, one of the biggest reasons (no pun intended, hehe) why REX2 support is so important for everybody is because we all have a fair amount of loops in that format, and we want to use them in every app. This means browsing them at project tempo, and/or loading them somewhere that can play their slices back. As I said above, dragging them directly to a track to use them as a common wav loop might be handy sometimes, too, but I really feel that it is a bit of a waste. Most samplers can load REX2. My main sampler is Kontak2, but I have Sonar 6PE, so I can also use Dimension LE and RXP, an all of them can be used in Reaper. I can even drag and drop the midi loop from RXP or Dimension into Reaper, so for me Reaper is as REX2 compatible as anything, only lacking the possibility of browsing loops from the Media Explorer. So, add its own player to Reaper and you are done.

4. Roll your own...which I feel should be the real deal, but I am not that sure that should go the REX route, at least while REX2 exporting is proprietary and can only be done by ReCycle. Cakewalk took the Acid route long ago for that task, and can export Acidised files, but I am not sure whether some royalties are involved. Anyway, if the aim is creating a new proprietary format, anything goes and this thread could go on forever, at least until Justin sets eveything in code (well, not even then ), but I feel that compatibility is important here.

I use ReCycle when I am not using Sonar, but from within it I slice with its Loop Construction view, from where I can export them as Acid loops. What is funny about it is that I can then import them into Kontakt, select "map slices to groups" and export the midi file exactly the same as if they were REX2 files...for some reason Sonar hasn't got its own tool to do it, neither its own samplers support mapping of Acid files slices.

5. Conclusions...everyone draw their own, but I would keep all these matters separate, and not mix them up.

Sorry for the rant. ...and, of course, I do not guarantee that this post is error free, so please do not call me names if I said something stupid.

Last edited by JoseCM,; 08-30-2008 at 12:38 PM.
JoseCM, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #133
JoseCM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If the original REX file already has spaces between the slices (like it was gated), then the slices will just be closer together when imported to a project with a higher bpm.

Right?
Wrong, I think. "Gaps" can only occur at slower tempo playback. When you create a loop in Recycle, there is an original tempo that if not set right by the user, will effect the way the file is played back later, but no gaps can be created, since the only tempo wise manipulation involved is creating slice markers...Unless, of course, you rendered the file at a slower tempo in other app, reimported in Recycle, resliced, and got your own "gaps" built in. Not sure that anyone would do that, though...
Old 08-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #134
tomgadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriamos View Post
rex file import would be perfect.My entire library is based on rex files....

mine too and some acid...
tomgadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #135
Jae.Thomas

worthless to me, but if it were combined with some kind of beatslicing similar and groove quantize, cool
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 AM   #136
elwar

Definitely. would also be good to create rex files from items then have the beatslicing and timestretching stuff, a la PT
elwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #137
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwar View Post
Definitely. would also be good to create rex files from items then have the beatslicing and timestretching stuff, a la PT
i dont think they would be allow to create rex files. perhaps an equivalent??!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #138
elwar

yea i just did a little reading and REX is propellorheads proprietary format. Thats a shame, but as you say i'm sure a comparitive format could be easily developed, perhaps even using the reaper extension API.
elwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #139
jamester

As a side-note, I tried out MicroDicer at the suggestion of one of the other members here and was so impressed I bought it promptly!

While I'm still excited for native Rex support, until then I'm good to go with this. It automatically slices Wav or Rex loops, and you can drag either midi or audio from it onto a Reaper track (either slices or the entire loop). Oh and it previews Rex files from its browser synced to tempo!

This adds mucho Rex capabilities to Reaper for a mere $40. Highly recommended:

http://www.concretefx.com/MicroDicer.htm
jamester is offline   Reply With Quote