Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Post-Fader FX?
Sounds great! 123 93.89%
No way. 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #81
Auralviolence
Human being with feelings

Two slots are better than nothing Sure, some post/pre separation line would be better.
Auralviolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #82
John Lance

+1

I always like maximum flexibility, but in the most simple and easiest to manage manner possible.

FX chain pre fader
FX chain post fader

Sends individually specifiable at any spot in the pre or post fader fx stacks.

Have the panner specifiable at any spot in the entire stack.
John Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #83
prog_head

post-fader insert is THE killer-criteria to move our 4 Cubase licenses to Reaper.

see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=54105 (some items have changed meanwhile)

I'll keep an eye on your homepage.

Andy
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #84
heda

any hopes in 2014 for postfader FX? I think it would be a good thing.. really.. Sure we can send to a new track and add the FX in the new track but it is not an elegant solution.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #85
Dstruct

yeah
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #86
ivan.lt

I propose to extend this idea a little. I've created a mockup picture which hopefully explains well enough what I mean. Basically, you create an unlimited number of "taps" from which you send your signal anywhere. They are moveable. I'm not sure "tap" is the right English word, feel free to suggest a better one!
Attached Images
File Type: png fx_taps.png (39.8 KB, 1063 views)
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #87
d.bop

Bumping this back from the dead.

Have Justin & Co. given any additional thought to post-fader fx?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #88
Nystagmus

I had to learn the hard way that my old DAW, MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, I think had the channel faders PRE-FX, unlike REAPER which takes a conventional approach.

I didn't realise how spoiled I was by pre-FX channel faders until I realised that all my FX chains in REAPER were getting overloaded and that nothing I could do with the channel fader would help.

The solution was to use the automation pre-FX volume control and it's accompanying fader, but it's not as easy to use as the regular channel faders.

If I remember correctly, some hardware consoles have a switching matrix where the FX inserts can be put pre-fader or post-fader. Something like that in Reaper would be awesome and would open up a lot of possibilities and speed up workflow.

Or as an alternative, it would be nice if there was a way to customize the interface to put the pre-FX volume automation control right next to the normal channel faders or to add to the channels an input trim knob at least.

Some of use use tons of effects chains and they are not all attenuating so it can get tricky.

But on the bright side, I recently learned that most modern (2014) good plugins won't clip internally if they used within reason even if their built-in meters and clipping LED's are going nuts. Seems like 32-bit floating point and 64-bit floating point for the WAV's and the engine is the path to clipping-less freedom... as long as the VST's are not old and as long as they are implemented right.

I was chaining EQ's together and somehow I got luckily without having any clipping even though the levels were through the roof (above zero). I remember my old DAW could go up to about +18 or +20 dBfs before it clipped internally, especially the EQs.

Now that I just noticed the possibility of working with 64-bit float WAV's I might try that out too! Maybe it's overkill, but maybe I'll learn something from all this.

The important thing to remember is that, not all plugins will be clip free. And of course if you overdrive a limiter. It will still sound bad if it's limiting so hard that it has to basically squash to an almost flatline/squaretop.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #89
Andy Hamm

Make a send to a new track, make the send post fader, put the post fader plugins in the new track. You can turn off the send to parent on the original track depending on what you are after.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #90
hesnotthemessiah

I have been using a plugin called MMultiAnalyzer from MeldaProduction. It is a multitrack audio spectrum analyzer that is inserted in to every audio channel you want to analyze. It really needs to be inserted post fader to give an accurate analysis. As has been mentioned, you could set up MMultiAnalyzer as a post fader send effect but having to set this up every time on multiple audio channels is really not practical. I like d.bop's idea of "being able to "right-click -> [x]Post-Fader FX" " or just having a separate, drop up/down, Post Fader insert slot section after the Pre Fader insert section that we currently have. I think post fader insert slots should be implemented. If you don't need them - which many people, if not most, probably won't, then just don't use them. But to those who do need them they are very important.
hesnotthemessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #91
hesnotthemessiah

Although I think "Movable Pre-FX and Post-Fader dividers in the FX chain window" would definitely improve on what we have at the moment, I do prefer d.bop's more flexible idea of "being able to "right-click -> [x]Post-Fader FX" http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=79944 . I use MMultiAnalyzer (as described in the linked thread) so really need the Post Fader Insert option (which both the "Movable Pre-FX and Post-Fader dividers in the FX chain window" and "right-click -> [x]Post-Fader FX" features would provide). It must be made clear that the Post Fader Insert option provides a practical solution to the problem of using a plugin like MMultiAnalyzer in Reaper. Post Fader Send fx is not a practical solution in cases like this.

The cumulative effect of using the "right-click -> [x]Post-Fader FX" on more than one plugin in a channel may lead to problems ("what's happening to the audio levels going into my plugins?") but it is up to the user to understand the process which shouldn't be too difficult.

I really, really love ivan.It's idea of unlimited "taps". In addition, I would like to have the standard Post/Pre Fader options on the taps. Unlimited taps could really open up many more possibilities and would be quick and easy to setup and use.

Could unlimited "taps" be setup as a separate feature request? I think it should be as, not only do I think it is a fantastic idea, but the original "We still have no possibility to insert FX after the volume fader in REAPER" part of this thread may get lost in the discussion.

I think that using both d.bop's idea of "being able to "right-click -> [x]Post-Fader FX" and ivan.It's idea of unlimited "taps" would provide all the flexibilty I need. With both of these features implemented I could:-

1) use plugins like MMultiAnalyzer where the Post Fader Insert option is critical to the plugin working properly.
2) send the channels audio at any point in the fx chain to another channel.

The thought of all that flexibilty makes me smile. Fantastic!!
hesnotthemessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #92
rothchild

Damn, I've already voted, but if I could I'd do it again - this is a super simple super powerful way to access the benefits of Reaper's flexible routing.
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #93
Nightowl4272

Would be awesome...and useful.
Nightowl4272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #94
DarkStar

Just for info, copied from my recent thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I've just seen this in MixBus:

What a simple way to have FX pre/post fader. Just drag the "fader" module up /down the FX slots.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:57 AM   #95
4x4uk

this is ^
Plus it gives you visual feedback of what is going where
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #96
ivan.lt

Add some send placeholders and you have the "unlimited taps" idea which is how I'd like to see it implemented.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #97
4x4uk

yes absolutely
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #98
Dstruct

To sum it up again:

REAPER threats VSTi as FX too. Steinberg does it differently with their Instrument slots (which mimics hardware connectivity).

In REAPER you can insert more then one VSTi on a track and you can even place them after an FX.

I think it would be great for the "hardware" people to get an option to force all VSTi to be placed before FX plugins and to threat them as "Pre FX" sound source too.

Bypass FX should not bypass VSTi in this "hardware style" mode too. On a mixing console you also don't mute the sound source by bypassing the insert FX! Sending a channel pre-FX will send the sound of the synthesizer.
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #99
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
And, also, I'll say that the benefits of post-fader FX are certainly clear.
I believe schwa would really like to code this, but he is locked in the notation editor coding room. I hope he is receiving the pizzas under the door everyday so he can finish that and then go out to code the pre-fx and post-faders dividers
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #100
m_atrix13

Default Pre/Post Fader Insert option.

* Request
As with sends have an option with insert fx on selecting if they can be pre/post fader and change default option I.e. if you prefer post fader you can have it default when creating new session.

* Benefit
I believe some users would enjoy the increased flexibility with how they can choose to use inserts based on fader levels.

* Reason
Currently not having the option with inserts feels odd when the ability is possible with sends.

* Implementation Suggestion
Would work just how it does with sends just now added for inserts as well.
m_atrix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #101
Gass n Klang

yes! Would be nice to have this option per insert slot.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 AM   #102
TimU

This would confuse the signal chain unless you have a seperate dialogue for pre and post, flipping between them within one chain doesn't make sense
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 AM   #103
Gass n Klang

No problem. In Cubase the postfader inserts are the last ones. The insertlist in the Reaper mixer could be divided by a grey line so you can see where your postfaderinserts are.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #104
m_atrix13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
No problem. In Cubase the postfader inserts are the last ones. The insertlist in the Reaper mixer could be divided by a grey line so you can see where your postfaderinserts are.
this would be exactly what would make the most sense. I mean we have the option with sends why not with inserts.
m_atrix13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #105
Luster

+1

Especially console simulations (airwindows, sknote...) need that feature to get the "real" experience.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #106
Anomaly

I want to add my voice.
I have been waiting this feature for years to happen... Personally, it's one of the most important things that could be added to Reaper.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #107
ertugrulgul

Default Post fader FX

In Cubase, 7. and 8. inserts are post fader fx's. With that feature you can put a clipper or limiter plugin to those inserts and you can adjust the signal goes to the plugin with faders. This way no matter what happens, it doesn't pass the level you set in clipper or limiter. I would like to see this kind of feature in Reaper, please.
ertugrulgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #108
morfi

+1 for post-fader FX

how come REAPER doesn't include this already?

Knowing Justin and Co., REAPER will most likely let you choose whether an FX is pre or post-fader... imagine that
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #109
ertugrulgul

+1 to this and pre fx volume knob
Old 10-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #110
Colox

Lots of metering suites have long since offered you to put a meter tap on each channel, and have them all show as individual curves on one master meter instance on the master output instance, or bus. Voxengo, Izotope, Melda, Hofa etc, and more on the way.

This doesn't work in Reaper, doesn't work without post-fader insert slots. Because the individual curves - showing on the master meter instance - won't show relevant values in relation to the sum of all channels on the masterbus, simply because the meter taps (on each channel) are pre-fader and channel volume knobs are post fx. The values getting sent to the master meter instance, doesn't include the influence of channel volume nor channel pan setting. It only shows the pre-fader volume resulting from of all fx prior to it in each fx chain. If you use channel volume or pan, you throw all metering like this off.

To use modern metering, you can't use channel volume faders or pans in Reaper. You have to use a separate volume/pan control in the pre-fx chain, before the meter tap in the chain order. In my theme setup, that means not being able to adjust anything without opening the fx window first. Not exactly Wonderful. There are tons of reasons why post fader fx is nothing short of a basic necessity, which becomes more lacking by the season. Makes you incompatible with modern trends.

Last edited by Colox; 10-06-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:33 AM   #111
ZenMaster

Default Just Do It

Heyy this feature request has been made ten years ago! Happy anniversary! Sooo, why not implement it? There are several functions in REAPER, far more complicated than this . .

This would be beneficial with multiple tools and workflows today
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #112
ZenMaster

A friendly bump for good cause
Old 12-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #113
ZenMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
A friendly bump for good cause
+ 1 . . . .
Old 01-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #114
ertugrulgul

a huge +1!!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #115
hermitcrab

+1.

a good idea for flexibility.
hermitcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #116
lb0

Another +1 from me - would be very useful
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #117
wjmwpg

I switched to Reaper yesterday after a decade on Logic Pro and would very much like to see some kind of post fader fx implemented in Reaper. Really thought Reaper would already have this functionality, but currently far too stoked with everything else Reaper has to offer to be disappointed.

. . . have watched 15 of Kenny's ReaperMania vids on Youtube today at 2X speed.

Last edited by wjmwpg; 02-21-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo
wjmwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #118
wjmwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I've just seen this in MixBus:

What a simple way to have FX pre/post fader. Just drag the "fader" module up /down the FX slots.
This is the genius of simplicity and flexibility. I love it.

As one of the other posters commented, I too am an Airwindows Buss/Console system user and those FX need to be placed after your track attenuation (i.e. after your fader). In Logic for years I've left my fader at 0 and done all my channel levelling with a gain plugin placed before the Airwindows plugs - it's a pain in the ass.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #119
Coachz

Doesn't prefader metering make it so you can avoid any clipping?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 PM   #120
wjmwpg

So here's an idea out of left field . . .

One of the most frequent comments people make when you request Post-Fader FX Slots is "why not just use some kind of gain plugin in your FX chain and use it to do your attenuation, and then place the plugs you want 'post-fader' after that."

I don't really have an issue using some kind of gain plugin somewhere in my FX chain to do my attenuating except that every time I want to change that track's level I have to open that gain plug-in to do so, and I have to do that for all the tracks - constantly opening and closing these gain plug-ins instead of just quickly grabbing the fader that's right in front of me and making the change.

So what if, instead of having post fader FX slots, I could just route the gain parameter of my gain plug-in to the fader - i.e. use the nice track fader that's right in front of me to control the gain level of the gain plugin I'm using somewhere in my FX chain?

Ultimately this would achieve exactly the same thing for me as post-fader FX slots would - allow me to have plugins after the place in the signal chain where I am attenuating my level using that nice convenient fader slider that's always right there in front of me.

Thoughts?