Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #81
macousticboy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickervetigo View Post
I spose it's time to think about false flag christians

That would be someone who starts out sounding spiritual and uses language like "sacred," and "brother," and then when called out on his own failings, loses his temper and accuses you of "pleasuring yourself" with a cross.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #82
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Maybe. But I was raised as an so-tolerant never-give-up German, haha.

All I see is a (sorry, it's true) kinda childish OP who is kinda yelled at by the other forumites. The fact that he posted here originally meant that he wanted to learn something, I'm sure. Confronted with some of the replies (especially the religion ones) I likely would have taken that defensive demeanor as well.
I was raised the same in the same country, but I learned to give up under certain circumstances the hard way.

the religious thing was brought up by the OP himself. and in exactly the worst way thinkable: those who criticise me criticise my religion and that is a no-go. so you cant argue with that. good trick. but nothing more. and to be again a bit blunt: some of the christian members here play exactly that card. so they dont want to discuss their issues. and then the OP posted someone who made it right regarding the mix and the sound. and that one was too christian and it sounded absolutely awful, simply bad, bad, bad. but its ok because it is christian.

so what shall we think about someone who is not willing to learn but plays the religion-game??? to be more blunt: that is in principle the same arguing ISIS comes across with. and this makes me set up when religion is brought in to do exactly that: derail the original discussion. so it isnt a religious thing or religious feelings getting hurt. (my feelings get hurt by that f!"§$ing mastering tutorial discussion.) its religion brought in to win a pointless discussion. mission failed!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #83
flickervetigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macousticboy View Post
That would be someone who ,,,
a false flag Christian would be someone who claims to be a Christian but acts like a leaping gaping *sshole in an attempt to discredit christianity

Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #84
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I still like the vocals
But I also second what many contributors already said. The mix is not "mastering ready" yet. It indeed turns out that the tubby reverb on the vocals is emphasized now that the audio is compressed and limited.
This is something that normally shouldn't happen if the mix is dense (or glued/cohesive) enough in the first place.

Being able to deliver a good mix doesn't happen over night - a lot (!) of experience is needed. Objective listening, more than basic technical knowledge, also the ability to accept technical/musical feedback.

How about mixing 2 more versions with a completey different approach? Just for experience's sake?
I still don't get where ppl are saying I have a problem with critiques of the mix.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #85
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
this became a waste of time at about the time the OP began to refuse any constructive help. Which was a while ago.
I hope you don't plan on going on Jeopardy any time soon 'Cuz I'm having a constructive convo with SaulT elsewhere on a different thread right now. Also, you can see on one of these threads that I took advice from Fergler and ReaDave. Put ReaDave's suggestion into practice, too.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #86
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
the religious thing was brought up by the OP himself. and in exactly the worst way thinkable: those who criticise me criticise my religion and that is a no-go.d!
You're a complete MORON. That is not how religion got brought up in here, at all. That was brought up by flickervetigo first, not me.

ETA: I might add, you still haven't given any evidence I said things that I asked you for. And now you've accused me of something I didn't do again...!

Last edited by macousticboy; 02-28-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #87
macousticboy

Quote:
a false flag Christian would be someone who claims to be a Christian but acts like a leaping gaping *sshole in an attempt to discredit christianity

Go cry in your beer, and take your own advice about singing, homie! Oooooooooh! :P
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #88
flickervetigo

Quote:
Go cry in your beer, and take your own advice about singing, homie! Oooooooooh! :P
all we know for sure is that there are very powerful people now who plan to establish "full spectrum dominance"... which includes the internet, religioun and the entertainment industry

we know some of them profess to be Christians, some of them are religious jews, some sothe them are apparently atheists, and some of them are run-of-the-mill imperialists who'd just as soon NOT indulge deathwish Christian fantasies about the rapture and the end times

who benefits from discrediting Christianity?

Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #89
macousticboy

Quote:
all we know for sure is that there are very powerful people now who plan to establish "full spectrum dominance"... which includes the internet, religioun and the entertainment industry

we know some of them profess to be Christians, some of them are religious jews, some sothe them are apparently atheists, and some of them are run-of-the-mill imperialists who'd just as soon NOT indulge deathwish Christian fantasies about the rapture and the end times

Have fun with this topic, d00d. You're the religion-obsessed one, here. I'm out.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #90
flickervetigo

furthermore, who benefits when supposed Christians post songs that are offensive to anyone who has a decent appreciation for music?

...an appreciation for music that transcends whatever religious beliefs they have?

does Christianity benefit from inept Christian singers?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #91
Cosmic

WHAT A THREAD!

Oh My GOD I havent laughed so much in ages.

I was actually thinking of knocking out a few christian tunes myself..seems like theres money to be made in that game
Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #92
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
.. seems like theres money to be made in that game
yes, seems so. unfortunately there is no mastering tutorial to make it radio ready.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #93
Cosmic

Quote:
yes, seems so. unfortunately there is no mastering tutorial to make it radio ready.
Lol!

haha..yeah.

I hear the virgin mary hangs out with Dave Pensado though
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #94
OpIvy

That's one way to stay a virgin
Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #95
Cosmic

ABORT!

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-01-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #96
poplomop

way better than "FourFiveSeconds".
Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #97
Cosmic

tl;dr

Check yerself before you wreck yerself
Old 02-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #98
Timothy Lawler

What a thread. Cosmic already said that, as well as summing up the thread perfectly, IMO, in his post a few before this one. Edit: snip

Last edited by Timothy Lawler; 02-28-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #99
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
macousticboy, you have no reason to take my advice but I'll give it anyway. It would be classy (and smart in a practical sense as this is a great forum to get honest and skilled feedback) to apologize at this point
I have absolutely nothing to apologize for. SaulT apologized to me, and that was very manly of him to do that. At least 3 (if not more individuals) should also apologize because it was them, not myself who drug religion into the discussion. Others should apologize for misrepresenting the things I said, and for attributing motivations to me that were false.

Or as SaulT put it:

Quote:
"It is easy to interpret someone's actions a certain way and then get bent out of shape about it. I have not given you sufficient benefit of the doubt"
And his actions were MILD compared to some of the others!

Quote:
In that regard, have you heard the work of those talking to you here?
You haven't really read this whole thread very well, haven't you?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #100
whiteaxxxe
Banned

Quote:

I hear the virgin mary hangs out with Dave Pensado though
what? then she is no virgin??? Pensado using all these "plugins" all the time?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #101
tgraph

Quote:
I hope you don't plan on going on Jeopardy any time soon 'Cuz I'm having a constructive convo with SaulT elsewhere on a different thread right now. Also, you can see on one of these threads that I took advice from Fergler and ReaDave. Put ReaDave's suggestion into practice, too.
that's good. in this thread that I'm reading you're fighting against any critique and claiming your tracks stand up for themselves at the same time that you're asking how to fix them. You've quit this thread probably 5 times, and them come back with more pissy comments. I suggest that you don't post in a public forum again until you're ready to hear what people have to say. When you act like a spoiled kid you open yourself up to ridicule.
Ive spent much more time on things then it seems you have and work hard at it, and would never even consider sending them off to someone to 'master' them. It's part of the mixing process. It ain't rocket surgery. It's just lots of hours and making an attempt to hear what's really there. I spend time trying to train my ears. I read and experiment with what I read.. I start over. I listen to what people say in critiques and give serious attention to comments to see if I agree with them in part or in whole. I go back and listen more.
My new mastering tutorial for you is spend some time listening to what's on your tracks. To what's actually there and not what you wish was there. Listen to other songs in this same genre, if you can, and compare. This track that's being discussed here is barely up to demo standards. And that's being generous. Best of luck with it.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #102
Dafinga

Quote:
WHAT A THREAD!

Oh My GOD I havent laughed so much in ages.
Yeah! It's hard to pinpoint what's funniest about this thread, the abysmal quality of the OP's singing (and I'm going to go ahead and include "Beatitudes" in there too btw), the fact that he is aggressively resistant to any criticism of it, or the fact that this track was mastered.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #103
macousticboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
that's good. in this thread that I'm reading you're fighting against any critique and claiming your tracks stand up for themselves at the same time that you're asking how to fix them
Okay, so once again... post up a quote from me that backs up your assertion, Flapjack. I won't be holding my breath.

Quote:
You've quit this thread probably 5 times, and them come back with more pissy comments
Doesn't anybody else around here opt out of a discussion until such point as they have the time & energy to put into it? I've seen it done on Facebook lotsa times. Well, welcome to a new concept.

Quote:
I suggest that you don't post in a public forum again
I suggest you go be someone else's mom on their time, how 'bout that?

Quote:
until you're ready to hear what people have to say
Proven false, examples cited by me right here in this thread. If you can't be objective enough to see it, don't bother lecturing me about it.

Quote:
When you act like a spoiled kid you open yourself up to ridicule
Oh the IRONY:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk View Post
I hope you wash that cross you pleasure yourself with.
Which you won't see because he edited it. Apparently being chastised for acting like a spoiled child is rather selective in these parts.

Quote:
Ive spent much more time on things then it seems you have
You actually have no clue how much time I spend on things, do you?

Quote:
and work hard at it, and would never even consider sending them off to someone to 'master' them. It's part of the mixing process. It ain't rocket surgery. It's just lots of hours and making an attempt to hear what's really there. I spend time trying to train my ears. I read and experiment with what I read.. I start over. I listen to what people say in critiques and give serious attention to comments to see if I agree with them in part or in whole. I go back and listen more
And as anyone being objective can see, I have done the same. To people who keep personal comments out of the mix.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #104
macousticboy

So... here's the deal: Several of you think you can bludgeon me into submission by insulting me about things that have nothing to do with music production, by being vulgar, and by repeating the same tired arguments over & over again. Word - It ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't bother me to face down an entire room. I've done it more times than I can count, on a variety of topics from religion to politics to the best recipe for a buttery nipple. Okay, the last one was a joke, but you get the point. When I see individuals bringing stuff into the mix that has no place among civilized adults, let alone this forum, I'm not very inclined to listen to them try to have a sit-down with me about anything. When I have people tell me I can't sing, and I can go to their own stuff & hear one guy sound like a drunken old derelict and the other sound like my dog when I accidentally step on his tail, I'm not very moved to take that as any criticism worth much. I could cite other examples from having gone heard some of y'all's work, but I'll have mercy.

When I can read stuff like this:

Quote:
the religious thing was brought up by the OP himself. and in exactly the worst way thinkable: those who criticise me criticise my religion
...which is a bold face lie, I simply am going to resist anything that person has to offer in the way of advice. Or this:

Quote:

LMAO I'm still trying to figure out what the hell this demented subhuman intelligence-level rant even means, let alone wtf it has to do with the price of eggs in China!

Oh and that's really cute, those of you who edited your comments. What, ain't got the gonads to stand behind what you say? Man up yourself, before telling someone else about being a man.

I could spend all day here exposing the blatant hypocrisy of several of you and not even break a bead of sweat. But why bother? The truth is I have taken the advice of some here and actually put it into practice on a recording. The rest of you aren't even giving any concrete advice (as in "try this technique",) just generalized mud-slinging.

As such, I turned off auto-notify so I can attend to other things until such time as I see that more smack has been added to this nutzoid repartee'. Have fun fallin' all over yourselves trying to connect the next blow... that won't connect. Ciao for now.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #105
whiteaxxxe
Banned

facepalm.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #106
tgraph

Quote:
facepalm.
+100 and then some
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #107
whiteaxxxe
Banned

ah, not for that.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #108
poplomop

it's way better than those 80s movie soundtracks like on the first "Terminator" and on "The Color Of Money" and lots of others. bad decade for movie soundtracks.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #109
Cosmic

I am officially calling a HALT!..a cessation.

macousticboy is doing his own thing.Mistakes were made and will no doubt be made again but fuck it..thats life.

Its non productive to pull his shit forensically apart...

Its time to live and let live

I for one am looking forward to hearing what he comes up with next.in music that is.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #110
flickervetigo

Quote:
I am officially calling a HALT! .
you got a badge, mister?

Last edited by flickervetigo; 03-02-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #111
ponk

Cosmic doesn't need a badge, he is part of the unstoppable flow that is the Reaper hive mind. So, start swimming
Old 03-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #112
flickervetigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
Cosmic doesn't need a badge, he is part of the unstoppable flow that is the Reaper hive mind. So, start swimming
ah, the unstoppable hive mind...

do you spose this macousticboy is part of the unstoppable hive mind?

...because if he is, the unstoppable hive mind has got a problem

on the other hand, we're all human beings with feelings now, and that --if we're Christian about it-- limits our ability to tell this guy the truth about his singing, doesn't it?

but it makes economic sense to be a perpetual cheerleader and peacemaker... I mean, even hopeless cases have money enough to buy a reaper license , and they should be encouraged no matter how dismal they sound

Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #113
flickervetigo

I spent the last hour or so listening to the songs in the soundcloud "folk-singer/songwriter" category

lots of people there who can sing... manyof them have commercially viable voices --their voices are distinctive, identifiable... they get 40 or 50 thousand views on the songs they post at soundloud, but nobody's ever hear of them and never will

they can sing, they've got good voices, many of them are well-produced...

the only hope this guy has is to listen to criticism, try to limit his singing to stuff he can sing well --if there is anything he can sing well-- and quit listening to his "fans"...

there's something really ugly at work here, psychologically, if his Christian admirers are praising his music simply because he's supposedly a chrisitan and they want to keep him in the fold
Old 03-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #114
ponk

Quote:
but it makes economic sense to be a perpetual cheerleader and peacemaker... I mean, even hopeless cases have money enough to buy a reaper license , and they should be encouraged no matter how dismal they sound

Well for me, it makes sense (as a human being with feelings) to be a peacemaker in most situations, and think that's what Cosmic was saying. Hopeless case? Only when you're dead. And if you're not dead, start swimming
Old 03-02-2015, 12:46 AM   #115
flickervetigo

Quote:
.... Hopeless case?
sorry...

I've spent too many hours chained to recording equipment listening to hopeless cases

there are people who should not be allowed within a hundred miles of a microphone

of course, that's another psychological snakepit, isn't it? ...for a small commercial studio... you've got to pander to people who really cant sing because they're giving you enough money to live

Last edited by flickervetigo; 03-02-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 AM   #116
flickervetigo

I've been wondering for a long time how many people could sing if they didn't get their music handed to them by the music business...

lots of people could sing, I bet, if they'd just sing... and I'm gonna define "singing" here, for the sake of argument... "singing" is singing well enough to "sell" a song... not "sell" in a commercial sense, but in a credibility sense --doesn't have to be the singer's song, but the song's got to be delivered in a convincing manner

this beach in Baja is bordered on one side by a rock cliff, and there's a narrow slice cut out of the cliff... if you went back in there, you'd be more-or-less hidden, so the Americans camped on the beach would go back in there to shit

but the place had a great echo and groups of Mexicans-good singers, good players singing and playing for the ufn of it-- would go in there to play and sing... surrounded by little piles of American shit

at the time,that seemed to sum things up pretty well

Last edited by flickervetigo; 03-02-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #117
macousticboy

Quote:
if we're Christian about it-- limits our ability to tell this guy the truth about his singing, doesn't it?
Actually a friend of mine who is of Jewish blood and not active in any religion AFAIK, and who taught himself jazz, listens to my stuff a lot - or used to - and will tell me if I'm off and ought to re-do a track. And he had particular praise for my work on "Beatitudes."

***CRASH!*** PWNED!

Hopefully someone I could mention will have someone else kind enough to tell him he sounds like that guy lying in the gutter in A Clockwork Orange who got the living shit beat out of him by Alex & his "droogs" in the 1st few minutes of the film.

No names mentioned, of course
Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #118
Cosmic

Quote:

Thats fucking Officer Cosmic to you

werrrrrrrrrr..I am channelling the Hive Mind....whirrrrrr
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #119
Cosmic

Quote:
Actually a friend of mine who is of Jewish blood and not active in any religion AFAIK, and who taught himself jazz, listens to my stuff a lot - or used to - and will tell me if I'm off and ought to re-do a track. And he had particular praise for my work on "Beatitudes."

***CRASH!*** PWNED!

Hopefully someone I could mention will have someone else kind enough to tell him he sounds like that guy lying in the gutter in A Clockwork Orange who got the living shit beat out of him by Alex & his "droogs" in the 1st few minutes of the film.

No names mentioned, of course
Ahh go on..name names!

I'm sure we could all do with a laugh at this stage
Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #120
macousticboy

Quote:
Ahh go on..name names!

I'm sure we could all do with a laugh at this stage
Pretty certain y'all know who I'm referring to.
Closed Thread