Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Cableaddict
Human being with feelings

Default Dedicated process, Separate process, or buggy mode?

Can someone explain the difference between these three options, selectable on a per-plugin basis within the FX window?

I'm crashing a lot & suspect a few plugins. Have been reading the manual & lots of threads, and still don't understand the differences here. The manual literally says to ask in the forums.

SO:

-------------

I don't want to run all plugins in ONE separate process, since I know one is (likely) bad, and I can't run EVERY plugin in separate processes as this bogs down my CPU.

For a per-plugin solution, which setting should I use, via the FX browser?

----------

Also, will one of these choices be better than another, in terms of telling me which plugin has crashed?

-thanks.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-17-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Cableaddict

RELATED QUESTION:

Let's say one has set a bunch of suspect plugins into one of these modes, then

A: later finds the problem and wants to put all the rest back to the "community"process.

or

B: Does NOT find the problem, and wants to put a few MORE plugins into separate / dedicated / or buggy mode, without having to check every single plugin as to how they are currently set.

Is there a way to call up a window that shows all plugins in a list, with the above choices shown to their right, all at once?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Mercado_Negro

Please read this first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_(computing)

Dedicated process: each plug-in runs in a dedicated process
Separate process: several plug-ins run in the same process

If you choose to run a plug-in in a dedicated process then it will run alone in that process (if you set several plug-ins to this mode, they will all run in their own processes). It will see all your available RAM and will not share it with anything else. It will also use CPU on its own.

If you choose to run several plug-ins in a separate process then they will all run in that process. They will share RAM and CPU load.

For your question above: No, there's no such list. You have to a) check every plug-in to verify its state or b) write it down.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Please read this first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_(computing)

Dedicated process: each plug-in runs in a dedicated process
Separate process: several plug-ins run in the same process .
That can't possibly be correct. In the FX window you can assign a SINGLE plugin to EITHER dedicated or separate. The manual says the same thing, but then doesn't elaborate.

- And what about "Buggy plugin" mode? What the heck IS that?

DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY KNOW?

Quote:
For your question above: No, there's no such list. You have to a) check every plug-in to verify its state or b) write it down.
Bummer. Well, there SHOULD be.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
Cableaddict

Another questions:

If you set a few plugins to one of the "individual" process settings, what happens if you THEN go to the prefs window, and select "run native only," or even "run all plugins in a separate (all together) process?

Does this overwrite your previous settings from the VST window?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Cableaddict

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS? (I'm sort of desperate here.)

- or point me to a clear & concise thread that does so?

thanks.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
EpicSounds

I just posted a blog about this yesterday

http://reaperblog.net
Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
mabian

http://reaperblog.net/run-plugin-as-dedicated-process/

Hope it helps,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I just posted a blog about this yesterday

http://reaperblog.net
Thanks, guys. You both linked the same blog.

I read it, but that explanation MAKES NO SENSE. You wrote:

"Running plugins in a separate process will put all the specified processes in ONE other process, like one other program. The RAM will be shared by all the bridged plugins....

Running plugins in a dedicated process will run each plugin in it’s own process, each with it’s own RAM allowance."

If this were true, there would be NO REASON to have a "separate process" option in the FX browser, since this would not be possible on a per-plugin basis.

Additionally, I can say 100% that running just 5 plugins under "separate process" FROM THE FX window took a LOT more cpu power than setting ALL the plugins to one separate process, from the Prefs window. - So there must be a difference.

--------------------

It also doesn't explain what "Buggy mode" is, and I can't find the answer either in the manual or in the forums.

It also doesn't tell me if going back to prefs and selecting "only in native" overrides the FX window settings.

It's amazing to me that the manual doesn't have a clear chapter explaining every aspect of this crucial topic. (The same goes for buffering options.)

Temporarily, I will assume that the "separate" selection within the FX window is meaningless, and will only use "dedicated" for my questionable plugins. I will also ignore "buggy plugin compatibility mode" doesn't exist, since the manual doesn't even talk about it. (Ughh.)

CAN SOMEONE CLEAR ALL THIS UP?

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-17-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
EpicSounds

what I said makes sense.
Try a few plugins in each mode. Look at Task Manager/Activity Monitor. Its very obvious the difference.

MOST users do not need these options at all.

You only need this for plugins that use a lot of RAM or need to be firewalled.

The "Buggy compatibility mode" I have not found an explanation for.

Which plugins specifically are you having problems with?
Have you tried reinstalling the plugin?
Have you checked for possibly permissions issues?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Mercado_Negro

OK, I'll try to explain it again.

Let's say we have 2 plug-ins: A and B. In the FX Browser, if we select both, right-click on them and choose "Run in separate process" they'll both run in the same process: A and B running in the same process:

Plug-in A and Plug-in B -> Process 1

Here you can see I'm running two plug-ins in a "separate process":

This is a common process where all plug-ins set to "separate process" run in. It's a like putting all plug-ins set to "separate process" in ONE bag. Since this is just ONE bag, all plug-ins set to run in a "separate process" will share RAM and CPU.

Now, let's select these two plug-ins, right-click on them and run them in "dedicated processes". EACH plug-in runs in a dedicated process:

Plug-in A->process 1
Plug-in B->process 2

Here you can see I'm running 2 plug-ins in "dedicated processes":

Why would you want to run several plug-ins in the same process? Well, one process use less CPU than several processes running separately.

Why would you want to run EACH plug-in in a dedicated process? Since each plug-in will run in its own process, it won't take others down with it if it crashes, for example.

About Buggy Compatibility Mode:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Buggy compatibility mode does a number of things that can all cause minor increased CPU use: buffers are zeroed out before being given to the plugin, extra samples are rendered at loop edges, blocking behavior is used when opening the GUI while rendering audio (the plugin is assumed not to be threadsafe), and a few other safety measures. None of this adds a tremendous amount of CPU, but it does add a bit.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Cableaddict

Quote:

Let's say we have 2 plug-ins: A and B. In the FX Browser, if we select both, right-click on them and choose "Run in separate process" they'll both run in the same process: A and B running in the same process:

Plug-in A and Plug-in B -> Process 1
AH, that does explain it. THANKS !!!!

It is ferociously confusing. Again, the manual should have a comprehensive chapter dedicated to this.

-----------------

OK, now:

Let's say you have 2 plugins sharing a separate process. (Assigned in the FX window.)

Now you go to the prefs, and select "run all plugins in a separate process."

Do the original two join all the others, or do they stay separate?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
Cableaddict

Quote:

About Buggy Compatibility Mode
Buggy compatibility mode does a number of things that can all cause minor increased CPU use: buffers are zeroed out before being given to the plugin, extra samples are rendered at loop edges, blocking behavior is used when opening the GUI while rendering audio (the plugin is assumed not to be threadsafe), and a few other safety measures. None of this adds a tremendous amount of CPU, but it does add a bit.:

Well, OK, but what exactly does it DO?

When & why would you choose to use it?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 AM   #14
Cableaddict

And one more question:

As I asked much earlier,
Will one of these option help me diagnose my problem? That is, if Reaper crashes, dues to a plugin that I have in either a dedicated or "small" separate process, will I SEE something that tells me what crashed?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
AH, that does explain it. THANKS !!!!

It is ferociously confusing. Again, the manual should have a comprehensive chapter dedicated to this.
It's probably explained in further detail in one of Geoffrey's other books. again, MOST users don't need these advanced settings and definitely shouldn't be in the quickstart manual. I've been using reaper almost daily for the past 2 years and only recently found a need for the function. For testing a plugin that is requires a lot of RAM and is not fully optimized.
For me, Kontakt and SSDSampler (Steven Slate Drums 4) are the only plugins (out of 100+ on my system) I do this for.

may I ask again which plugins you're having trouble with?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #16
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
OK, now:

Let's say you have 2 plugins sharing a separate process. (Assigned in the FX window.)

Now you go to the prefs, and select "run all plugins in a separate process."

Do the original two join all the others, or do they stay separate?
They join the others. A separate process is just ONE, either globally set or per instance.

Quote:
Well, OK, but what exactly does it DO?

When & why would you choose to use it?
Schwa explains there what it does, man

When troubleshooting there is no shortcuts, you either do it patiently or risk yourself to screw things up more. "Buggy compatibility mode" does those things schwa mentioned to help plug-ins to "behave" or prevent crashes. There's no golden rule here, you can either try to run several plug-ins in a separate process and do your work for a while: if "reaper_host32.exe" crashes then there is one plug-in there causing it... in this case you'll have to remove one plug-in at a time from that separate process and find out which is the troublemaker. It's the same thing with dedicated processes, you have to work and see how it goes. There is no magical option here, man, nothing will do the job for you, you have to take it step by step and find the cause of your issues. We can help you but sadly we're not there in front of your PC
Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #17
Cableaddict

re buggy mode:
Quote:
Schwa explains there what it does, man
Schwa explains it WHERE? I did a search and came up with nothing.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #18
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
re buggy mode:

Schwa explains it WHERE? I did a search and came up with nothing.
As far as I know "Buggy compatibility mode" used to be a global option and now it's only available per instance via the FX Browser.

I found schwa's explanation (which I posted above), here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...atibility+mode
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
dpclarkson

Mercado, is there an advantage of letting Nebula run in 'dedicated processing' mode?
dpclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpclarkson View Post
Mercado, is there an advantage of letting Nebula run in 'dedicated processing' mode?
I don't think Nebula is buggy or requires a lot of RAM, it's just a CPU hog. (FWIW, I don't use it).
I've seen many times that users don't use Nebula in realtime.

You may consider running nebula in a separate process, but also reduce the # of processor cores in REAPER to 7 or 6 (assuming an 8-core cpu) to free up power for background services.

Just a theory
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
Cableaddict

Quote:
As far as I know "Buggy compatibility mode" used to be a global option and now it's only available per instance via the FX Browser.

I found schwa's explanation (which I posted above), here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...atibility+mode
Yes (and thanks) but it is NOT an explanation. All he does is describe the technical stuff, which tells us end users ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

quote:
"Buggy compatibility mode does a number of things that can all cause minor increased CPU use: buffers are zeroed out before being given to the plugin, extra samples are rendered at loop edges, blocking behavior is used when opening the GUI while rendering audio (the plugin is assumed not to be threadsafe), and a few other safety measures. "

Uh, OK. Having read that, I still have no idea when to use buggy mode, since I don't know what symptoms it applies to, nor what it actually does FOR ME. It's just like some of the advanced buffering options. Why are they there is we will never learn what they do?

Can anyone explain this?
---------------------

On a positive note, I am now running Kontakt in a dedicated process, even though it was not even close to taking Reaper over its ram limit, and I have not had a crash since, for three days straight. This is looking very good!

(And my thanks to you all, again.)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Yes (and thanks) but it is NOT an explanation. All he does is describe the technical stuff, which tells us end users ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

quote:
"Buggy compatibility mode does a number of things that can all cause minor increased CPU use: buffers are zeroed out before being given to the plugin, extra samples are rendered at loop edges, blocking behavior is used when opening the GUI while rendering audio (the plugin is assumed not to be threadsafe), and a few other safety measures. "

Uh, OK. Having read that, I still have no idea when to use buggy mode, since I don't know what symptoms it applies to, nor what it actually does FOR ME. It's just like some of the advanced buffering options. Why are they there is we will never learn what they do?

Can anyone explain this?
---------------------

On a positive note, I am now running Kontakt in a dedicated process, even though it was not even close to taking Reaper over its ram limit, and I have not had a crash since, for three days straight. This is looking very good!

(And my thanks to you all, again.)
Schwa explains what's REAPER doing when that option is ticked. We'll never know what's going on inside a plug-in and what problems it may have, it probably doesn't process buffers correctly, maybe it has denormals issues, sometimes it can't process audio correctly when its GUI is shown once we open it, etc, etc., so REAPER just tries to prevent these issues on its own with this option, which increases the CPU load. REAPER devs can't tell what's wrong with your plug-in, you and the plug-in dev must find it out.

I'm glad it's working OK now
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
RJHollins

Quote:
Still would appreciate comments regarding NEBULA and mode choice.

Right now I'm using 'dedicated processing' mode on NEBULA [server version] ...
just not sure if I should be doing that :|

Thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Still would appreciate comments regarding NEBULA and mode choice.

Right now I'm using 'dedicated processing' mode on NEBULA [server version] ...
just not sure if I should be doing that :|

Thanks
If you're running Nebula in REAPER 32bit then it's a good option to run it in "dedicated processes" since *each* instance will see all your available RAM.

If you're using REAPER 64bit there's point on doing that.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
RJHollins

Quote:
If you're running Nebula in REAPER 32bit then it's a good option to run it in "dedicated processes" since *each* instance will see all your available RAM.

If you're using REAPER 64bit there's point on doing that.
THANKS for confirming Mercado !

I do use REAPER 32bit, and NEBULA handles some 90% of processing I do ...
I'll stay in 'dedicated processes' mode.

Thanks!!!
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
THANKS for confirming Mercado !

I do use REAPER 32bit, and NEBULA handles some 90% of processing I do ...
I'll stay in 'dedicated processes' mode.

Thanks!!!
I forgot to mention this will increase, a lot, your CPU load because *each* instance will be run in a dedicated process and each process takes some CPU so if you're using a lot of instances this will blow your CPU performance out of the roof. If your average RAM load isn't close to 2GB in REAPER 32bit, just run Nebula inside REAPER (native).
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Mr. Data

Quote:

Can anyone explain this?
Buggy can be a lot of things. A symptom can be e.g. the following: Imagine you have a project and load a plug-in on some track. The first time you hit play, you hear a nasty noise. This can be down to the fact that the plug-in might allocate memory when it's loaded but doesn't zero it. Instead it just plays back whatever was written to the memory before, which doesn't necessarily have to be audio data, hence the ugly noise. Or you navigate in your project and start playback somewhere else and the plug-in outputs a short bit of what was loaded into the buffer at the old position. One of the things "buggy mode" does, is to zero the allocated memory buffer prior to allow the plug-in to write to it so when the buffer is played back no such noises will occur.

-Data
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
chip mcdonald

I believe there is a big disconnect between diagnosing a problem and having a clear understanding of what solution to try, particularly since there are so many variables at play. It might seem like one selection is working better due to the nature of the project a VST is in, but maybe not?

There should be a sticky defacto thread on this. As I see it *I* have these situations:

Plugins that seem to glitch when used in multiples (synthedit?)
Plugins that seem to need more CPU (nebula?)
Plugins that don't like being bridged;
Plugins that want a lot of memory;
Plugins that don't want to release memory;
Plugins that don't like it when a specific other plugins are running (Amplitube seems to "know" when Podfarm is running?)
Plugins that require low latency;
Plugins that don't render properly - in variable circumstances;

etc., etc.

If someone empirically *knows* how something should be set, it would be nice to have a list. For instance - Podfarm? Bootsy synthedit? Popular VSTis, etc..
Old 02-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I believe there is a big disconnect between diagnosing a problem and having a clear understanding of what solution to try, particularly since there are so many variables at play. It might seem like one selection is working better due to the nature of the project a VST is in, but maybe not?

There should be a sticky defacto thread on this. As I see it *I* have these situations:

Plugins that seem to glitch when used in multiples (synthedit?)
Plugins that seem to need more CPU (nebula?)
Plugins that don't like being bridged;
Plugins that want a lot of memory;
Plugins that don't want to release memory;
Plugins that don't like it when a specific other plugins are running (Amplitube seems to "know" when Podfarm is running?)
Plugins that require low latency;
Plugins that don't render properly - in variable circumstances;

etc., etc.

If someone empirically *knows* how something should be set, it would be nice to have a list. For instance - Podfarm? Bootsy synthedit? Popular VSTis, etc..
EVERY plugin would have to be tested on 4 versions of Reaper, and 3 operating systems.
KVR Audio database says 4694 VST instrument or effect just for windows 32 bit.
Another 1940 for OSX 32bit
1806 AU plugins for OSX 32bit.
it would also have to be constantly maintained as each plugin is updated.

For accuracy at least 3 users would need to confirm compatibility.

I don't think that's ever going to happen. An unfathomable amount of work.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
chip mcdonald

Quote:
EVERY plugin would have to be tested on 4 versions of Reaper, and 3 operating systems.
No, that's oversimplifying it. There are already striated "reports" of compatibility across these forums for just about any plugin, it's just not organized as such.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #31
chip mcdonald

FOR INSTANCE - this should be posted I suppose in the bugs forum, but...

1) I have been struggling to get Podfarm to work without making gurgling noises. Somewhere along the line I had "dedicated process" checked , "buggy compatibility" mode checked.

2) I tried un-checking both in both combinations after reading this thread. Nothing changed at all.

3) "Does the setting affect the active instance of the VST?" I don't know. So I save, shut down, restart. Check settings, it's on default; same exact problem.

4) On a wild hair, I loaded a new instance of Podfarm, and duplicated the settings. THE NEW INSTANCE WORKED FINE. Switch it off, go back to the original instance - problem still there.

At this point I've got two instances of the same thing on the track. One glitches, one doesn't.

*IF I load the track template - from which I've been working with on a number of projects (with the sundry same glitching) - it continues to mess up.

So from where I stand, it appears a VST's process settings are somehow "sticky" with Podfarm if the instance was saved in a template from a previous setting???

No?

Wtf?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
FOR INSTANCE - this should be posted I suppose in the bugs forum, but...

1) I have been struggling to get Podfarm to work without making gurgling noises. Somewhere along the line I had "dedicated process" checked , "buggy compatibility" mode checked.

2) I tried un-checking both in both combinations after reading this thread. Nothing changed at all.

3) "Does the setting affect the active instance of the VST?" I don't know. So I save, shut down, restart. Check settings, it's on default; same exact problem.

4) On a wild hair, I loaded a new instance of Podfarm, and duplicated the settings. THE NEW INSTANCE WORKED FINE. Switch it off, go back to the original instance - problem still there.

At this point I've got two instances of the same thing on the track. One glitches, one doesn't.

*IF I load the track template - from which I've been working with on a number of projects (with the sundry same glitching) - it continues to mess up.

So from where I stand, it appears a VST's process settings are somehow "sticky" with Podfarm if the instance was saved in a template from a previous setting???

No?

Wtf?
That's weird, I've used podfarm 1 and 2 on mac and PC but don't have those issues.
Podfarm 1 often has some graphics issues on mac but is stable beyond 80 instances with default vst settings. PODFarm 2 free for mac has a problem with the installer where the permissions are set to read only for the presets folder and crashes unless you correct it manually.
no sound issues though.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #33
chip mcdonald

Quote:
That's weird, I've used podfarm 1 and 2 on mac and PC but don't have those issues.
It's exceedingly weird, and probably the cause for a LOT of wasted time.

So I guess this means, at least in templates, VST states are saved AND the process settings?

It has been very, very strange in that it would seem there was a time when it worked as expected, but over the period of the past year it has slowly degraded to "almost only works with one instance by itself".
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
Cableaddict

Quote:
I forgot to mention this will increase, a lot, your CPU load because *each* instance will be run in a dedicated process and each process takes some CPU so if you're using a lot of instances this will blow your CPU performance out of the roof. If your average RAM load isn't close to 2GB in REAPER 32bit, just run Nebula inside REAPER (native).
I'm not sure this is good advice.

As I wrote above: I use two instances of Kontakt in my main "live performance" session. It's a good test platform since it rarely changes.

I run Win7-64 & Reaper 32-bit, and until last week always ran all plugin in native mode. I never saw the "en toto" Reaper use more than 2.5 GB, and I have 6 GB installed.

I have long suspected a plugin problem, because Reaper has been constantly crashing (at least 1-2X per day) for the last 2 years.

Last week, for the first time, I set Kontakt to "dedicated" process, and so far I have not had a single crash, with Reaper running 24 hrs a day for 6 days.

I suspect that some plugins like Kontakt and Nebula might occasional have a ram "spike" of some kind. - Not enough to show in the Task Manager, but enough to crash Reaper. I am just guessing, but it looks very probable at this point.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #35
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Buggy can be a lot of things. A symptom can be e.g. the following: Imagine you have a project and load a plug-in on some track. The first time you hit play, you hear a nasty noise. This can be down to the fact that the plug-in might allocate memory when it's loaded but doesn't zero it. Instead it just plays back whatever was written to the memory before, which doesn't necessarily have to be audio data, hence the ugly noise. Or you navigate in your project and start playback somewhere else and the plug-in outputs a short bit of what was loaded into the buffer at the old position. One of the things "buggy mode" does, is to zero the allocated memory buffer prior to allow the plug-in to write to it so when the buffer is played back no such noises will occur.

-Data
Thanks. That definitely helps.

We should have more info like this! - and it all should be in the manual.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-24-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #36
XITE-1/4LIVE

Another reason for DSP processing combined with Native CPUs which have a tough time acting like dedicated processes that DSPs are designed for.
Once a young upcoming engineer / performer gains more funds he can add hardware to the realtime DSP and having Hardware DSP, Native CPU and Analog is the ultimate.
Nothing gets overworked, they compliment each other are are quite stable as whatever procedures one form of processing has difficulty with, the other will easily replace until you hit the sweet spot.
A more diverse pallette of sounds, better workflow, and with DSP there is realtime audio modulations and no load time once a Modular or stock synth is installed, The effects and mixing off of the DAW means it plays back MIDI and audio without the extra gunk, but this is assuming one needs realtime capabilites and fast workflow.
Then since the Reaper devs are always working on new and better workflow, you can use more and more of your CPU and have extra synths and tasks switched over to DSP.
It's really invigorating and never dull, as you simply write and lose no time playing BETA Boy...
Believe it or not I am lame with Reaper but can creat all of the MIDI tricks and automations I need and only audio segues are used to have pre recorded sections I have difficulty playing live...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #37
cerendir

If you want real life examples of what Buggy mode can be used for, I have two:

- sfz+ does not like multi core processors and gives you really bad loud noises when instanced. Buggy plugin mode solves this.

- SampleTank (and Philharmonik CE) also dislikes being instanced on modern systems and causes crackles and pops. Buggin plugin mode sorted this as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #38
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
- sfz+ does not like multi core processors and gives you really bad loud noises when instanced. Buggy plugin mode solves this.
Really? But does this happen only when using multiple instances or also for a single instance?

I am using SFZ+ in some projects on a quad core system without noises, but it's a single instance IIRC...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #39
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
I'm not sure this is good advice.
What part? It's a logical advice, it just makes sense.

Quote:
I suspect that some plugins like Kontakt and Nebula might occasional have a ram "spike" of some kind. - Not enough to show in the Task Manager, but enough to crash Reaper. I am just guessing, but it looks very probable at this point.
I don't know Kontakt but Nebula uses tons of CPU. You use 2 Kontakts in a project, people use 10+ nebula instances per project. Nebula adds tons of latency which is difficult to handle for any host, now imagine adding to this formula "dedicated processes"... it's not gonna be easy for REAPER. I've experienced this myself, I've use Nebula in all possible ways and the most effcient way is REAPER 64bit/Nebula 64bit.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
Cableaddict

Quote:
What part? It's a logical advice, it just makes sense.
You wrote: "If your average RAM load isn't close to 2GB in REAPER 32bit, just run Nebula inside REAPER (native)."

- And I gave a good reason why that MIGHT not be a smart move. (possible ram spiking.)

At this point It's been 8-9 days since I switched Kontakt to dedicated mode, even though the total ram Reaper was asking for was low. - and still not a single crash.

I really this this has solved my long, long, long term nightmare.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-25-2012 at 02:38 AM.