Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #41
zappadave
Human being with feelings

I'm on windows 7 64bit.
There is no max steps showing in track controls under param?
64bit bug?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #42
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
I'm on windows 7 64bit.
There is no max steps showing in track controls under param?
64bit bug?
are there other params available to Show in track controls? there should be 17 before maxsteps, from pause to hold.
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #43
zappadave

There are 19 in total.
17 from pause to hold.

Last edited by zappadave; 01-31-2012 at 12:32 AM.
zappadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #44
bang

Quote:
There are 19 in total.
then i'm wondering if you actually have v0.20beta installed instead of v0.22, since 19 would be right for v0.20. i'm very sorry i forgot to update the title of the plugin so this would be obvious.

hmmm. guess i'll upload a new version to fix this. it's a bit fresh, but good enough i think. so v0.23beta is live:
Code:
  fix shift right click in button grid from bad draw flashing
  fix mouseover hilite for non-cc# choice grids
  collapsable slidergrids
  fix slider logic: don't pass fractional coords to gfx_rectto
  change default offset percent to 10%
  make offset percent automatable.  *NOTE* offset percent in old 
    presets will need to be manually restored.
please try that and let me know how it goes zappadave.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #45
zappadave

Same problem?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #46
bang

Quote:
Same problem?
curiouser & curioser. would you please review this with me:

- title of fx now ends with "v0.23beta"?

- select "Reset to factory default" in the fx presets dropdown at the top of the fx window. any change?

- arp!0 now has "[*]" or "[/]" resize clickers at the top right of the slider grids. do these work?

- click the Js "Edit..." button. what is the value of maxsteps? then right-click the "[arp!0]" logo next to "hold". does maxsteps change?

- under Param > FX parameter list > Show in track controls there should now be 21 items: param to hold, then maxsteps, then the new offset %, then ByPass and Wet. is maxsteps present? if so, check it and try the track control procedure i suggested earlier.

- you can still try to edit the Js source code to change the default value in the maxsteps/slider18 to 24/32. (not the "maxsteps=" line anymore.)

beyond this i'm at a loss right now. have you considered trying win 64 bit Reaper 4.151? i'm on a mac here and don't have access to a win64 box, but i did try win Reaper32 4.14 which works for me. i am running mac 4.16pre which has the bugfix for @serialize presets that arp!0 needs to work.

can anyone else confirm or deny 24/32 step modes work on Reaper64? actually, do 24/32 step modes work for *anyone* but me? :^)

Last edited by bang; 01-31-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #47
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hi
24/32 steps works fine for me.
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hi
24/32 steps works fine for me.
what sort of system, sinkmusic? win/mac? 64/32? reaper version? thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
sinkmusic

Win Vista 32bit, Reaper 4.151 (last version)
i hope that helps
Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #50
zappadave

Crimson face time.
This was something to do with my browser. Cleared the cache and download history and I now have it working.
Sorry for all the trouble. 64bit is working fine.
32 steps is cool. Thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #51
bang

Quote:
This was something to do with my browser. Cleared the cache and download history and I now have it working.
oh good. it doesn't help that stash has no way to change the file name for a download. but i think i can make it so the file unzips into an appropriately named folder. and i *will* remember to update the fx title in the future.

glad 32 step mode is cool for you zappadave. didn't want you to miss out on it.

enjoy! /dan
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #52
sinkmusic

This plugin is really amazing.
Thanks once again
With Kirnu and NovaSeq (all made by fellow Reaperites), i think we have among the best advanced midi tools to play with (Oh, and Argee SuperArp is also top notch) !
With the various length feature in yours which is really excellent, it makes a killer combo !
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #53
bang

Default arp!0 v0.30beta

ok, "one more thing...": i have not been happy with the transpose dropdown slider. the target range for any particular transposition was just too small. the easy solution was to make the slider longer, and i've done that. but in thinking about the StepMachine sequencer app that sinkmusic mentioned it seemed that it would be really nice if there were some way to make controls for all the steps in a sequence accessible at once. so here is arp!0 v0.30beta with expandable button grids! click the label for a button grid to reveal a control grid for that sequence. (you can also click a step button twice, but not too fast: Js doesn't recognize quick double-clicks.) click the label again, or anywhere left of the control grid, to collapse it back to the buttongrid. the expanded state of a sequence grid is saved and restored in presets, so you can save a default the way you like.

one other very significant change: i am changing sequence lengths a lot more than setting default values, so i switched the mouse logic so that right clicking a sequence step sets the sequence length. alt/option clicking now resets steps to a default value.

hope this ups arp!0's immediacy in a useful way. i'm particularly interested if this makes it more useful as a sequencer substitute?

as always, feedback on the particulars is very welcome. i really appreciate hearing about the small useability issues. i'm a bit of a nut for that.

enjoy! /dan

Last edited by bang; 02-02-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #54
sinkmusic

Wow, it is excellent !
(both expandable button grids & switching the mouse logic so that right clicking a sequence step sets the sequence length).
The mouse logic improves the workflow, and expandable grids are a great feature, thanks a lot.

By the way, yesterday night i ended up spending one full hour listening to autogenerated music fuelled by your arp. It was quite mesmerizing, the independent length for each control sequence allows for a great sense of details, philpglass-esque neverending, always moving music.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #55
sinkmusic

In action :
[img]http://img841.**************/img841/9501/arpbangzerov030.png[/img]
Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
IXix

See the breeze blowing softly through my hair where once my hat sat. Respect.
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #57
zappadave

Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
So easy and fun to play with.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #58
bang

Default happy! happy! joy! joy!

very glad folks are pleased! know what you mean about just listening to arp!0 go for a while sinkmusic. right now i'm enjoying a little 2-1-2-1 length arp with a bit of -offset on the first 2 and a tiny bit of swing. arp!0 is playing that lovely drum/bell-ish mc Percaluptus Zebra preset and it just rolls along. i have several note clusters stored in the midi_arp_controller Js plugin and every so often i tap a trigger key and shift the tonality. pretty enchanting stuff. and, it is *really* nice to feed arp!0's midi output through IXix's MIDI_KeySnap Js when using transpose to keep everything in a harmonic mode. thanks *very* much for that IXix.

i'd love to hear whatever you folks are doing with arp!0, if anyone is so inclined.

right now arp!0 seems pretty much as i want it to be for a while. i'm ready make some music with it myself. feedback still very welcome though. and any testing or general use over the next couple of weeks would be fantastic. if we can work out any bugs or useability issues in that time i'd like to do a release version and announce it on the general discussion forum. thanks for all your help!

enjoy! /dan
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #59
gofer
-blänk-

This thing is truly the bomb. I had it trigger a 16th clavinet groove and just couldn't stop it. Due to some rows being one slot longer it was ever evolving and it kept the hell of a funk going the whole time. It slightly arpeggiated filter cutoff (using 9 steps over the dominating 8 steps of the groove) and that gave the whole thing the ultimate kick into groove nirvana. A tiny amount of swing, around 6, makes it juuust not swing but come really alive.
This beast also does cool hihat riffs - ever changing but ever rolling just right .

Also cool is arpeggiate CC and drive plugin parameters while playing synth sounds without arps. Step modulation with any old synth - awesome

While trying to make a short 4-step counter rhythm thing I have somehow managed to hose one of the CC arps once. It started to send CC numbers with an offset. Eg CC10 pan was sending CC126 and CC74 GM cutoff frequency was recognized in ReaControlMIDI as a whopping 190 (logged as B0 BE 45 [CC190 <none>]) . I tried to reproduce but couldn't. But I saved it as an FX chain which opens with the borked setting. Attached to the post. The left CC arp is lunatic.

Enjoy I do. Thanks a lot for this.
Attached Files
File Type: rfxchain arp!0 borked CC.RfxChain (2.4 KB, 451 views)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #60
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
While trying to make a short 4-step counter rhythm thing I have somehow managed to hose one of the CC arps once.[...]
good catch gofer! actually, that's not hard to reproduce alas. it is a side effect of the smaller slidergrid, which doesn't generate nice integers internally when you change cc steps as the larger sliders do. so any changes with the small cc sliders will generate bogus cc messages.

new version 0.31beta everyone! big thanks to gofer!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #61
gofer
-blänk-

Issue fixed with 0.31 .

Oh well, it's late over here. When reporting I already forgot that I just updated to 0.30 maybe twenty minutes before and in my attempts to reproduce I didn't think of the obvious: I twiggled here and poked there but I didn't set values to the CC sliders, duh! Good it was so easy to spot.

Boy, I always forget the name of this medical condition some say I.. - what was I about to say?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #62
sinkmusic

Do you want to keep it as a JS fx, or do you have any plan to port it as native VST ?
(That is what NovaSeq did : first JS, then VST. And Kirnu, made by a Reaper user, was relased as a VST plugin thanks to the free Iplug made by Cockos).
Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #63
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Do you want to keep it as a JS fx, or do you have any plan to port it as native VST ?
i have no plans to do a native vst right now. i would at least wait for a couple of rounds of enhancements to the Js version. js is quite nice as a quick prototyping environment. i have some vague ideas already for improvements, but really need to put arp!0 to use for a while to see what makes the most practical sense. and i'd like to hear from others what enhancements they'd like based on putting it to use. a native vst would be a considerable effort for me as i'd be starting from scratch climbing the learning curve for tools/apis/etc, especially for a cross-platform vst. and that big chunk of Js ui code would probably need a total rewrite for a native version. the primary benefits would be less of a cpu hit and support for the non-Reaper mac folks. (i'm assuming non-Reaper winfolk can use arp!0 in the ReaJs vst, but still haven't tried that.) while those are both "good things to do" i'm just not ready for that yet. i am open to encouragement though, particularly if i heard from folks unable to use arp!0 without a native version.

did you have any special reason for asking sinkmusic?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #64
copacetic

Hey, this arp is absolutely scrumptious.

One thing that is confusing me though; When I press stop and restart a song/clip, the steps all stay where they were when I pressed stop, which makes everything sync incorrectly upon restarting playback.

Am I being dense?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #65
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
Hey, this arp is absolutely scrumptious.

One thing that is confusing me though; When I press stop and restart a song/clip, the steps all stay where they were when I pressed stop, which makes everything sync incorrectly upon restarting playback.

Am I being dense?
hi copacetic! i try to leave the playback positions alone when stopping and restarting arp!0 because there might be significant relative positions that should be preserved. you can manually set playback positions by control-clicking a step (command-click on macs). adding shift to that sets the playback position of all sequences. so shift-control-clicking any first step resets all playback positions back to step 1.

but your question suggests to me that it might be a good idea to preserve playback positions when Reaper restarts playback somehow. i don't do that now. would you please describe in more detail what behavior you would like to see from arp!0? i don't think we want to always reset all sequence positions to 1 every time Reaper playback starts, since there are times when you want playback positions between sequences to be offset. hmmm. thoughts anyone? how would this work best?

ps- theoretically you can use Reaper automation to recall arp!0 playback positions. but that could be awkward since all 9 positions would need to be automated somehow.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #66
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
i have no plans to do a native vst right now. i would at least wait for a couple of rounds of enhancements to the Js version. js is quite nice as a quick prototyping environment. i have some vague ideas already for improvements, but really need to put arp!0 to use for a while to see what makes the most practical sense. and i'd like to hear from others what enhancements they'd like based on putting it to use. a native vst would be a considerable effort for me as i'd be starting from scratch climbing the learning curve for tools/apis/etc, especially for a cross-platform vst. and that big chunk of Js ui code would probably need a total rewrite for a native version. the primary benefits would be less of a cpu hit and support for the non-Reaper mac folks. (i'm assuming non-Reaper winfolk can use arp!0 in the ReaJs vst, but still haven't tried that.) while those are both "good things to do" i'm just not ready for that yet. i am open to encouragement though, particularly if i heard from folks unable to use arp!0 without a native version.

did you have any special reason for asking sinkmusic?
Hi
Thanks for the answer.
No, no particular reason, mostly out of curiosity
(and also as Reaper is not my only host, i like to have my favourite tools available in various DAWs, but since i mostly use Reaper nowadays that is not a real problem)
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #67
copacetic

Quote:
hi copacetic! i try to leave the playback positions alone when stopping and restarting arp!0 because there might be significant relative positions that should be preserved. you can manually set playback positions by control-clicking a step (command-click on macs). adding shift to that sets the playback position of all sequences. so shift-control-clicking any first step resets all playback positions back to step 1.

but your question suggests to me that it might be a good idea to preserve playback positions when Reaper restarts playback somehow. i don't do that now. would you please describe in more detail what behavior you would like to see from arp!0? i don't think we want to always reset all sequence positions to 1 every time Reaper playback starts, since there are times when you want playback positions between sequences to be offset. hmmm. thoughts anyone? how would this work best?

ps- theoretically you can use Reaper automation to recall arp!0 playback positions. but that could be awkward since all 9 positions would need to be automated somehow.
I understand what you are saying, and what follows is possibly nonsensical gibberish.

My first question, is whether it is possible to change the default colour scheme? I like the blue one, and would love the plug to use that every time I load it.

Perhaps I am confused, but the pause button and the clear button appear to do the same thing?

How I would like to use the arp, is first, make the pattern, the offsets will be set at this stage.

Upon pressing play the arp starts, stopping the transport should stop the arp, but keep the positions, and if I rewind, it should revert back to the original pattern.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense, whether it's possible, or if I am just confused, as to how things are meant to work in the first place.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #68
bang

Default arp!0 v0.32beta

new release here:
Code:
0.32beta - 5 feb 2012
  logic to save and restore sequence play positions when Reaper plays.
    *NOTE* play positions lost when Reaper quits & restarts.  save & restore
    from preset if necessary.
  make clear notes logic independent of play/pause & new clear icon
  change hold button pos & new hold icon
Quote:
My first question, is whether it is possible to change the default colour scheme?
use Reaper's "Save preset as default..." option. the color scheme is saved with presets.

Quote:
Perhaps I am confused, but the pause button and the clear button appear to do the same thing?
i tried to clean this up in the new release: clear just clears the current note list. this is useful if you get hanging notes. clear no longer also pauses playback. so play/pause and clear are now independent. and clear has a new icon, which is perhaps more "clear"? :^)

Quote:
How I would like to use the arp[...]
the new release saves play positions for all sequences when you save or restore a preset, or when you manually set a play position using control/command-click. these positions are restored when Reaper begins playback. note that you lose saved playback positions when you quit & restart Reaper because there's no way to distinguish that from preset save & restore. so save your play positions in a preset if they are significant.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #69
bang

a quick note to copacetic and folks generally: while arp!0 should now work repeatably when starting playback in Reaper, it may not work repeatably the way it should. my testing here has revealed some issues in the timing logic for cases exactly on the beat, and also some order dependencies in processing midi before or after the arp sequences. the primary symptom of this is delayed notes when starting playback, even when the offset is off. (when offset is on, delayed startup notes may be unavoidable because of the lookahead.) if this is a problem, a possible workaround is to start playback and send initial notes a bit early. but i am working to get this corner case right in the code, if only for my own confidence in the timing logic generally.

please let me know what happens with v0.32 in your case copacetic.

enjoy! /dan
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #70
copacetic

Thank you for your responses and efforts.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be away for a week, will check it out when I get back.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #71
bang

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm going to be away for a week, will check it out when I get back.
no worries. hope you can take some music with you one way or another.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #72
Elassi

Don't know what to say besides what has been said already: simply fantastic! Thank you so much, bang!
Elassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #73
bang

Default arp!0 v0.33beta

new version at the usual place. this release primarily addresses problems when starting playback in a host. in fact, with negative note offsets arp!0 can't register notes on the beat because it must look ahead to anticipate notes offset before the beat. so i added an option for unipolar, after the beat only offsets. with this selected arp!0 can now start an arp immediately on starting playback. with bipolar offsets selected, notes must be ahead of the beat by at least the offset % to be effective on the beat.

i also tweaked the octaves control to show the current octave and support setting it manually using control click. and arp!0 now saves current notes with presets. since it is not usually desireable to overwrite active notes when presets load, restoring saved notes must be enabled by clicking on the "notes" label. but if you have an extra-hot arp going and want to preserve it for posterity i think arp!0 now saves the whole shebang.

enjoy! /dan

release notes:
Code:
save and optionally restore current notes with presets
save internal octave position with presets
indicate current octave position if > 0 octaves
control-click octaves control sets current octave position
rework timing logic (again) for clarity and to work right when starting
  playback in host
add unipolar option to offset sequence: allows pos offsets without 1 tick
  latency at start of playback and for notes on the beat.
clean up slider bar logic
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #74
IXix

Bravo!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #75
bang

quick note: the internal current octave value which is now saved in presets may end up way out of range when loading old presets, and then arp!0 can output extremely high and low notes. i have a fix i'll release rsn, but in the meanwhile if you load an old preset and things seem wacky you can control/command-click one of the octaves buttons to get things back in line.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
bang

Default arp!0 v0.34beta

quick update to address the bogus octave after loading old presets.

release notes:
0.34beta - 7 feb 2012
- limit octpos to octaves on preset loads and when octaves changes

enjoy! /dan
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #77
zappadave

+ JS: support MIDI buses, set ext_midi_bus=1 in @init, then midi_bus is used for bus indices
+ JS: updated midi_logger to show bus

This should be interesting.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #78
bang

Default arp!0 v0.35beta

just... one... more... beta... (hah!)

ok. in hopes of reducing arp!0's non-affordances i have added a help/settings pane that collects the various invisible settings mechanisms into one semi-visible place. and once i had that, i couldn't resist just one extra set of options to suggest what kind of things the settings pane might be good for: random order non-sequences. here's a screen shot:

hope this is useful. or at least amusing. suggestion welcome for other settings pane options. but i am determined to resist (even more) feature creep. yes. very determined. i will be strong! :^)

so, as always...
enjoy! /dan

release notes:
0.35beta - 8 feb 2012
- puts{...} & gpt{...} macros
- help/settings pane
- random order option for sequences

Last edited by bang; 02-18-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: new screen shot
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #79
bang

Default arp!0 v0.36beta

oops. right-click to dismiss the help/settings pane revealed a small bug in the right-click to set sequence length logic. v0.36beta fixes that.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #80
IXix

Quote:
- puts{...} & gpt{...} macros
What's that?