Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default sounds inaudible below eq line?

as far i understand the signal becomes audible only when its over the line, is that correct? i'm not trying to learn eq regarding boosting or cutting, i'm just using earphones and need to confirm if that statement is correct

Last edited by read; 07-17-2019 at 09:49 AM.
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
nait

No, that's not correct. Stuff at point +0 on that EQ is unaltered.. if you raise frequencies above the line, those frequencies will be boosted. If you lower frequencies below that line, those frequencies will be cut by the amount you set. You can filter out entire frequency ranges too with equing. As an example, you can set up a low pass filter that blocks all frequencies above a certain level. Just think of the eq (the green line) as how you want to alter the sound. If that green line drops off after 5khz, for example, everything after 5khz will be filtered by some amount. By default, as you have the EQ currently set, all frequencies of your sound will be heard, unaltered by the EQ.

I'm probably doing a terrible job at explaining this, but the Reaper videos are great for learning these subjects.

This one may help a bit: http://reaper.fm/videos.php#cix4K9ACzEo

That graph there kind of gives you the idea of what you're frequencies look like.. there's a lot of bass in there, by the looks of things, and really not much after 5khz. So just as an example, if you wanted to tame the lower end, you might put in a band in that lower end, and drop the gain down a bit, and it would quiet some of the bass in that sound. (I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying that this is just an example of what you can do with EQ).

Last edited by nait; 07-17-2019 at 09:21 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
read

i know what eq does but i really think sound becomes audible only when the signal goes over that line, but i'm using simple earphones so need to confirm

i am not talking about boosting or cutting..just want to know if its correct that sound becomes audible when it passes over that line
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
i know what eq does but i really think sound becomes audible only when the signal goes over that line, but i'm using simple earphones so need to confirm
I can tell you that this is not correct though. Every single frequency seen in the yellow graph is audible and unaltered if your EQ is flat on 0. That green line is a representation of what frequencies are cut or boosted, it's not like a frequency gate (for lack of better term) where you only hear stuff above the line.

Frequencies in the yellow graph that are higher up the vertical axis in the graph will be more dominant, but that would be the case with or without the eq plugin on there (in the flat setting you have it). An easy way to see what I'm talking about is put a high pass filter on, and set the bottom part to about 5khz... you will still hear stuff.. you will only hear the high end though, cause that high pass will completely filter out the frequencies where the green line is on the bottom of the graph (i.e. it will kill anything below 5khz), and it will cut the other frequencies between that point and 0 by some amount, and the frequencies where the line is at 0 will be unaltered. There isn't a lot above that 5khz range in your sample, but there's still stuff there to be heard.

The parts you don't hear are the parts where the yellow line isn't seen anywhere (or of course outside of our hearing ranges).
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
read

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
I can tell you that this is not correct though. Every single frequency seen in the yellow graph is audible and unaltered if your EQ is flat on 0. That green line is a representation of what frequencies are cut or boosted, it's not like a frequency gate (for lack of better term) where you only hear stuff above the line.

Frequencies in the yellow graph that are higher up the vertical axis in the graph will be more dominant, but that would be the case with or without the eq plugin on there (in the flat setting you have it). An easy way to see what I'm talking about is put a high pass filter on, and set the bottom part to about 5khz... you will still hear stuff.. you will only hear the high end though, cause that high pass will completely filter out the frequencies where the green line is on the bottom of the graph (i.e. it will kill anything below 5khz), and it will cut the other frequencies between that point and 0 by some amount, and the frequencies where the line is at 0 will be unaltered. There isn't a lot above that 5khz range in your sample, but there's still stuff there to be heard.

The parts you don't hear are the parts where the yellow line isn't seen anywhere (or of course outside of our hearing ranges).

u're correct thanks! needed to make sure as i couldn't hear it well, much appreciated for your explanation
Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by read View Post
u're correct thanks! needed to make sure as i couldn't hear it well, much appreciated for your explanation
No problem, glad you have things figured out!