Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #81
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Right? Maybe I misread something. If so, sorry, I didn't sleep 2 days
You did not misread - you are correct, it is getting the part of the track chunk that contains all items in one pass (and an extra '>' or two at the end, which is dealt with in the code).
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #82
mpl
Human being with feelings

oh ok
I just see this could be a bit more clear, like

Code:
ext_state = ""
c_items = reaer.CountTrackMediaItems(track)
for i = 1, c_items  do
 item = reaper.GetTrackMediaItem(track, i-1)
 _, it_chunk = reaper.GetItemStateChunk(item, '')
 ext_state = ext_state .. it_chunk ..'\n'
end
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #83
snooks
Banned

Yes, that's quite tidy - the reconstruction wouldn't be though. Unless of course you store the necessary info along with the concatenated item chunks, in which case we are looking at either encoding and decoding a string or serializing a table... either are fine of course.

btw I don't know how important performance is if there is only one chunk being processed at a time. Has anyone ever had a hang with a single call to string.match?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #84
mpl

Me. With big track chunks (mostly because of plugin data)
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #85
snooks
Banned

Maybe the devs have put a memory limit on the Lua state or something? I know string things in Lua create copies but without a memory limit the hang should just happen for the length of time processing is happening.

Whatever the case though, if crashes can happen string.match with chunks is bad.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #86
heda

in my case it didn't crash but it hangs for at least a minute. The chunk was pretty large, about 18000 lines.
I didn't have patience to see if at the end it finished the process. maybe match is not designed to work with such large strings. Working line by line in a table with the same 18000 entries worked.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #87
Sexan

no new updates,I had some exam to pass,but I've opened the github
Sexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #88
Sexan

For those who are interested in updates can check the github in my signature.updated the first post with this information
Old 05-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #89
musicbynumbers

Will try it out now and let you know..

Just curious.

What happens if you duplicate a track that has some saves on it? Will the universe implode?
Old 05-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #90
Sexan

In that case nothing will happen since every button is GUID connected to track,so new track will have different GUID which is not stored anywhere
Old 05-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #91
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
In that case nothing will happen since every button is GUID connected to track,so new track will have different GUID which is not stored anywhere
phew.. cool!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #92
musicbynumbers

That's strange. Went to try the one in your git hub and got this error on trying to use it

...User\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\ReaTrackVer sions.lua:5: unexpected symbol near '<'

It's the "reatracksVersions" script, is that the right one?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #93
musicbynumbers

I tried the non alpha version too and although it loads up now. I get an additional pop up that states

"
Init
Restoring
state=""
"

Is that normal too?

EDIT: saving also makes it pop up a console message so it seems that maybe it's working but the popup is not meant to happen and got left on some how?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #94
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Will try it out now and let you know..
Ok. So far it's been working pretty well so great job there Sextan!

Found a few small things (apart from the above) and have listed them below.

1- long names don't cause the "boxes" to get any bigger. (name goes outside the box). This is going to be important for me as need descriptive names for things like this

Actually.. I wrote the above expecting to add more things as I found them but it seems pretty solid right now (except for the reasconsole pop ups)

Nice job!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #95
musicbynumbers

ooh one thing that might be good is an area at the bottom of the GUI that is for when you have multiple tracks selected at once.

This could then show that and allow you to save and recall for multiple tracks at once (great for drum edits etc)

After the initial multitrack save. Selecting any track that was part of that multitrack save could then show the presets for that in this bottom section of the GUI.

That way you could still load single track saves but also only have to select one track to see any multitrack saves attached to it and recall them for all tracks at once.

You would have to take into account if one of those tracks was deleted but would be very cool if possible
Old 05-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #96
Sexan

Github version works fine (if you get that popup then it works )
Big thanks to snooks for helping out,he made a new item storing and other modifications.
To disable popups edit the beggining of the script to this :
Code:
function DBG(str)
  --[[
  if str==nil then str="nil" end
  reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(str.."\n")
  ]]
end
or just copy paste it.
Button stretching is not implemented yet.
I want to (if its possible) to finish the behavior part first and then implement all sort of voodoo features . For now storing,deleting,recalling works good.Now I'm trying to figure out how to allow editing to the version so its automatically saved (so it does not reset to the original stored state when clicking on the version again).
I've implemented creating multitrack version when you have a folder,making version on folder creates version for all child tracks in it.But its not finished,there are no buttons yet on folder to switch version on all childs at once.

Btw we are still at Alpha stage ...we are back to it haha
Old 05-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #97
musicbynumbers

All good totally understand it's alpha!

As for Multitrack, I like the idea of the folder save. It's a simple solution that should work for most things.

I think the separate divided area below that for multitracks might be useful still overall but I can imagine it's not easy to do so I'm happy with just the folders one for now!
Old 05-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #98
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Now I'm trying to figure out how to allow editing to the version so its automatically saved (so it does not reset to the original stored state when clicking on the version again).
I wonder if it would be possible to have a modifier that when used would overwrite the one you click on (unless that's in and I missed it)

Also, could it maybe detect if you change the items on that track and then pop up a text next to the button (for the last restored save) saying "altered, click here to resave"

It wouldn't have to check that often? I don't know, my programming knowledge is limited to scripting in unity!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-28-2016 at 04:31 PM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #99
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
ooh one thing that might be good is an area at the bottom of the GUI that is for when you have multiple tracks selected at once.

This could then show that and allow you to save and recall for multiple tracks at once (great for drum edits etc)

After the initial multitrack save. Selecting any track that was part of that multitrack save could then show the presets for that in this bottom section of the GUI.

That way you could still load single track saves but also only have to select one track to see any multitrack saves attached to it and recall them for all tracks at once.

You would have to take into account if one of those tracks was deleted but would be very cool if possible
Will have this in mind,it is similar to folder which is partially coded,so when its finished (one button triggering other tracks) will give a take to this
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 AM   #100
spk77

Very nice work!

Adding PreventUIRefresh to this function helps to draw items faster:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---  Getting/setting track items functions  --------------------------------------------------------
-- This uses all API with no track chunks involved -------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

local function restoreTrackItems(track, track_items_table)
  local num_items = reaper.CountTrackMediaItems(track)
  reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
  if num_items>0 then 
    for i = 1, num_items, 1 do
      reaper.DeleteTrackMediaItem(track, reaper.GetTrackMediaItem(track,0))
    end
  end
  for i = 1, #track_items_table, 1 do
    local item = reaper.AddMediaItemToTrack(track)
    --local item = reaper.CreateNewMIDIItemInProj(track, 1, 1) -- maybe there's another way?
    reaper.SetItemStateChunk(item, track_items_table[i], false)
  end
  reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
  reaper.UpdateArrange()
end
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:28 AM   #101
Sexan

Awesome thank you very much! Will update github asap
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 AM   #102
Sexan

Folder versions :
Old 05-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #103
musicbynumbers

Awesome! Will try now!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 AM   #104
Sexan

Right now it does not create version for sub folders (they remain empty,not including their childs versions,so only main folder has global versions)hope it would get implemented,I need help with that one.
Oh and yeah,your request for button size regarding text,that looks strange (one button is bigger than other) I think it would be better if I add comment section that would appear as a tooltip when over the button?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #105
musicbynumbers

I think just in the folder for now is fine. trying it soon.

As for button text. What about having all the buttons full length all the time instead and weighting the text to the left instead of centre?

Or just list them with horizontal lines in between like sws snapshots or even just the track manager list.

The comments addition might be fine though as we could give a general name and a detailed description if needed. Might be handy to have the description next to the button but I can see why aesthetically you might not want that

It's not a big thing though, having this feature working is already great! Love that you can use the folder save and recall to try out whole different versions for everything in the folder. Very powerful!

The only other thing....

That I was thinking is I wonder if it would be useful to have a tick box to "only include items within time selection) so that you can take a small area of a nearly finished track and experiment with just changing a few bars of it. You could have a tooltip pop-up (on the button) that stated which time/measures area would be recalled.

Probably a nightmare to do I imagine but I'm thinking you yourself would come across the need for it at some point

Quote:
Right now it does not create version for sub folders (they remain empty,not including their childs versions,so only main folder has global versions)hope it would get implemented,I need help with that one.
Oh and yeah,your request for button size regarding text,that looks strange (one button is bigger than other) I think it would be better if I add comment section that would appear as a tooltip when over the button?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #106
Sexan

I will look what can I do regarding button text.Time selection idea is something I want to implement.I also want some kind of comping feature , so you have another version that will be only comped version of others (one part from this version ,other part from another) but that feature will be looked once the script works as intended (basic functionality is there).Lots of more thing needs before voodoo features hahaha.And I'm examining how this features work in PT and Cubase to have some middle ground in our version
Old 05-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #107
musicbynumbers

All exciting stuff! Look forward to it!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #108
musicbynumbers

Just tested and seems to work fine

Eventually it might be worth making any saves that are linked to folders a different colour so that when you view them on the single tracks it's obvious they are part of a bigger folder save/preset (or do what you do on the folder whereby you give it the prefix <folder name>).

Really love that we can recall either the whole thing or just the individual tracks, awesome!

As for the buttons thing. Are you sure it's not just fine to remove the button background and have the text on it's own (centred left)?

It looks like it would be fine here as even the small name "original" is too long on at my resolution on a folder since the folder name gets added too. Just a thought

Off to try and see what happens with folders within folders now to help see if I can break it for you lol
Old 05-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #109
musicbynumbers

ooh, lastly though. It might be worth making it so that if you open this with a toolbar button, that the toolbar button lights up whilst the window is open.

every little helps.

Also, I didn't see mention of it here but happy to donate via paypal to say thanks if you have that set up?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #110
musicbynumbers

Just tested folders within folders and all works as expected so far!

It did make me think though that you want to try stuff out on the top level tracks of the master folder without changing the say any sub folders but that is probably getting too "meta" and I'm not sure of an easy solution to this except an option/tickbox to "ignore subfolders when loading". Not a big deal probably though..

Also, I can see now why you did the boxes as you have it set up to do multiple columns side by side which is good for space and I like how it adapts so I think your original comment on a pop up tooltip for a description (if needed) is a better idea than mine for sure!

I did find a small bug though when making the window quite long vertically and narrow horizontally, the save button didn't adapt any more to go to the bottom once I had added more than 8 saves on a track. It got merged over the top of the last 7th one. Could be my res again though (3440x1440).
Old 05-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #111
Sexan

managed to make subfolders!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:34 AM   #112
musicbynumbers

Impressive stuff!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #113
Sexan

is it better for multiselected tracks to be named individually or globally?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #114
musicbynumbers

Quote:
is it better for multiselected tracks to be named individually or globally?
If I understand what you mean, I think the names used for the saves (or where the saves come from) should be individual.

I might have misunderstood you though?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #115
Sexan

yeah thats what I've thought , I've implemented it (not yet on github) btw regarding buttons have no background ,that crossed my mind few times,and can you please explain a little better you FR regarding multitrack area? Did not understand it fully
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #116
musicbynumbers

All good

The multitrack area thing was dividing the GUI window into an area at the top which only shows saves for single tracks and an area at the bottom that would only show multitrack saves (whereby you have done a save for multiple tracks.

That way you could select multiple tracks (even when not in a folder) and then save a preset specific to that group of tracks.

Then, when selecting just one of those track, you would see both individual saved presets and also in the multitrack area, presets that would affect multiple tracks if you click and load them (even though, you know later have one track selected.)

You wouldn't need this area though really, you just need a different colour or a prefix called say "group" that would indicate that this preset would load change more than the selected track.

The main reason for either of these is so that recalling multiple track presets at once doesn't mean you have to have them all selected or that they have to be in a folder.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #117
Sexan

So in simple terms(If I got it this time )
When making a multi track selected version , under each single version button what was IN that selection one more button appears (lets call it GROUP) so you can easily switch the whole group? (I'm really sorry if I did not get it again )

And this is the naming thingy:

Last edited by Sexan; 05-30-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #118
musicbynumbers

Quote:
So in simple terms(If I got it this time )
When making a multi track selected version , under each single version button what was IN that selection one more button appears (lets call it GROUP) so you can easily switch the whole group? (I'm really sorry if I did not get it again )

And this is the naming thingy:
You're right on the thing that I meant yes, about simplifying multitrack saving and loading by showing the available multitrack presets in any selected track that was involved in the initial save (along showing the single track saves too)

I do think though that what you've shown in the gif goes a bit too far and makes the system too long to use maybe?

I think that all that a multitrack (or folder) preset needs to contain is the name that you gave the whole saved preset.

Being able to rename them at the point of saving doesn't seem to add much if it still ends up being part of the original preset.
But.. Being able to rename them afterwards though (via a mouse click with a modifier) would give the best of both worlds

Also, an option to use a mouse modifier to click on a preset box and update that preset to any new changes on that track would be super powerful and essential.
Especially if you can not only update single track presets but also multitrack and folder ones too. (this would need some "special case" warning messages for times when you have selected tracks outside of the original preset (as well as the original track). If this happened you would be asked if you wanted to include this new track in the preset.

Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-30-2016 at 11:07 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #119
Sexan

Renaming is in but I want to add it to right click (with other options).Yeah this makes sense will do it after some brainstorming.So when making multiselect it is considered as a group? so if I randomly choose 4 tracks :
Snare - Kick - Vox - Guitar
and make new version for them, all track that share same version have a new "group" button?
Like this mockup for example

?

edit:I've modified naming please see if this one is better (naming)
https://stash.reaper.fm/27750/VersionsTest.lua
Naming for multiselect it adds prefix "GROUP" before.Thats why I've asked should the naming be individual or global.Since global all buttons have same name

Last edited by Sexan; 05-30-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #120
musicbynumbers

Yeah that could work

Even better if it can also take into account that the selected track might be part of more than one "group" preset (which it looks like it can).

Will the "group" button take the name of the multi-track preset?

Also. The right click menu idea sounds good too. Good place to put the rename and resave/update options.