Old 10-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default This music is just a test . . .

Had this been an actual song, it would have exceed a minute and forty seconds. It was kind of a challenge to myself to see what I could do using nothing but REAPER and it's native plugins.

Just me playing two guitars, bass, and drums using only REAPER FX.

It's titled "Nothing But REAPER" at:

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13798738

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
poplomop

sounds cool man. reaper has like over 200 fx or something haha.
poplomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by poplomop View Post
sounds cool man. reaper has like over 200 fx or something haha.
Thanks Poplomop. I was using the Linux version of REAPER on this, and since Windows plugins don't natively work, decided to try using nothing but REAPER and it's native plugins, mostly to see if it put me in a box or stifled my creativity.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
zeekat

Did you use anything outboard for guitar, or is it those weird bundled "amp sim" JS plugins? Never managed to do anything usable off them and this here sounds pretty guitar like.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Did you use anything outboard for guitar, or is it those weird bundled "amp sim" JS plugins? Never managed to do anything usable off them and this here sounds pretty guitar like.
No amp sims of any kind were used on this. I did a test song a week or two ago using nothing but Guitar Rig on all the guitars and bass, just to see what I could get out of it.

My usual setup is an old programmable Digitech RP7 Tube/SS preamp pedal board, feeding a 20w Orange Micro Terror amp top, which powers a vintage Gretsch twin twelve speaker cab that I have in the closet for isolation and mic'd up with a Sennheiser MD421 dynamic mic.

That's what I'm using for the guitar tracks on this song. When I play or record with this rig, I hear it through the studio monitors, after going through the mic, mixer, and REAPER. Since it's setup like that if I am just jamming around and something starts sounding worthy of recording, I'm already in REAPER playing through a channel so it only takes hitting record to capture it.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #6
zeekat

"I did it only with Reaper, a live room, a drumkit and entire hardware guitar rig" doesn't have the same ring to it

Distortion kinda sounds like my old Digitech RP100, which IMO wasn't a bad toy at all. I made a couple of recordings with it earlier on and they don't even sound completely bad.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
"I did it only with Reaper, a live room, a drumkit and entire hardware guitar rig" doesn't have the same ring to it
Hehe, well the point of calling it nothing but REAPER was really about the plugins. Every time I tell someone that I'm using the Linux version of REAPER the first thing they say is something like,

Yeah, but if I can't run plugin(X), then it isn't really usable.

So I decided to both make a point, and prove to myself that I could indeed make music without plugin(X), which I also have a few of. Things like the plugins that use PACE with an iLok for instance. I didn't use any of those plugin on this song.

I'm weening myself off of Windows and Microsoft, and the plugins that won't run or install on WINE in Linux are getting less important to me. There weren't any plugins when I used 1" tape, and it didn't prevent me from making music.

Quote:
Distortion kinda sounds like my old Digitech RP100, which IMO wasn't a bad toy at all. I made a couple of recordings with it earlier on and they don't even sound completely bad.
I really like Digitech's pedals. The old Digitech RP7 has both a tube based 12AX7 preamp, and a solid state preamp that you can create programs with to use one or the other, and also create programs using both wired in either in series or parallel.

The bass on this project is going through a Digitech BP200 bass amp modeling pedal that I pretty much leave always on a SWR amp model with eight 10" speaker model.