Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Vadrigar
Human being with feelings

Default Midi Controller knobs not working when playing a MIDI loop

Hi all,

first post, I hope this question isn't too stupid

My problem is that the controls on my midi controller (Roland A-300 Pro in case it matters) don't work anymore when playing back a midi item with a VST attached (Diva). However, they work fine if the item isn't played back. The midi item loop seems to somehow block all input from the A-300.

My test project looks like this:

I assume I have some misconceptions about how this should work since I'am new to reaper and that whole audio stuff in general, but I couldn't get this solved. I've tried different settings, played around with the midi settings but nothing.
I've also tested the same thing using Cakewalk which let me choose a "A-300 OMNI" midi source and there the knobs work as expected when playing back a loop, so I think there might be something wrong with my midi settings in reaper.

My midi settings look like this:

I've tried several combinations, just Enabled, both of them as shown in the screenshot, using A-PRO 2 for control and A-PRO 1 for notes and so on, but no luck. A-300 Input is dead when playing back the loop.

Hopefully anyone has an idea what causes this behavior since I'am really stuck at this point.

Thanks in advance!
Vadrigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:47 AM   #2
Vadrigar
Human being with feelings

I've solved the problem.

Somehow when right-clicking on the record arm button of the tack I've noticed that Monitor Input (Tape Auto Style) was enabled. If I change it to Monitor Input everything works as expected.

In case another clueless newb like me stumbles over this issue:

I've looked that up in the manual and indeed, the table in section 24.3 shows all possible combinations and what they do. Invaluable
Vadrigar is offline   Reply With Quote