Stevie
Human being with feelings

sometimes it uses completely different tracks to freeze,
sometimes proper, but with huge delay; random
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
TobyAM

I've been having really poor, inconsistent freezing behavior since 6.10 as well. It seems to freeze a different section of the track, seemingly moving it around in time. Never happened to me before, but it happens on many different projects. Once the bug happens for a track, it doesn't matter if I undo and retry, close the session, and reopen, it will always fail on that one track. Going back to v6.09 fixes it.
TobyAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Coachz

Can you guys give more details for devs to reproduce the exact bug?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
TobyAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Can you guys give more details for devs to reproduce the exact bug?
I wish it were reproducible in a consistent way, but I haven't found any predictability to it.

It has always happened on tracks with FX inserted, but on a variety of plugins. Mostly seems to happen with plugins with large PDC, I guess.

The effect of this bug is that items will be frozen with the correct bounds, as in the items themselves don't move, but the contents of the items will contain audio from a different point in time of the track, for instance an item at 0:00 will contain audio from 0:33 after freezing (arbitrary made up example). It's as though the start in source has shifted drastically.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
valy

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=237111
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
mustgroove

Was just about to post a new thread about a bizarre freezing issue and saw this thread.

Each week I work on a 3-hour long project, which has a section of dialogue every 15 minutes. The dialogue tracks are nested in a folder, and my workflow is that I comp / edit the dialogue for the entire project and then freeze the folder (parent) track so that the speed of the full 3-hour render doesn't get bottlenecked by the plugins on the dialogue tracks.

I've been doing this in Reaper weekly for 10 years without any issues with freezing. But now I'm getting huge issues like this:

1. Go through the project and comp / edit each section of dialogue, which occur at 15 min intervals (i.e. at the project start, then at ~15 mins, ~30 mins, ~45 mins, etc.)
2. Freeze the parent track containing the dialogue tracks

What I'm finding is that all the dialogue sections are totally out of the correct order after freezing in step 2 - the ordering is pretty random. I just did a few test freezes and in one of them, the same exact section of dialogue from somewhere in the middle of the project was used for every single section.

This is a big big issue, needs urgent attention
mustgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
valy

In my case it happened with FX disabled on the track, too. So I don't think it can be FX issue.

It's more like the original WAVs get corrupted somehow, or maybe it has to do with the peaks Reaper builds...not sure. I didn't try rebuilding the peaks in the problem project, maybe I should have.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
In my case it happened with FX disabled on the track, too. So I don't think it can be FX issue.

It's more like the original WAVs get corrupted somehow, or maybe it has to do with the peaks Reaper builds...not sure. I didn't try rebuilding the peaks in the problem project, maybe I should have.
Rebuilding Peaks should only have to do with the display of the waveform and nothing at all to do with the actual wave.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
TobyAM

Yeah, this isn't a peaks issue, this is an error with the way Reaper is handling item properties, it seems, offsetting source start times.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
valy

OK, yeah could be source start times. It's definitely something that Reaper is getting wrong about the source audio. That's why gluing fixes it, because you are creating new audio files. But until the problem is fixed, it could just reoccur.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
Judders

Confirmed here. Just came across it last night.

PDC seems like a likely candidate, for me it happened with tracks receiving sends. The tracks I was freezing had Waves IR1 on them, which deals with PDC in a weird way.

Not had any other problems with fx being frozen.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #13
mustgroove

Seems like 6.09 is the last release where this isn't an issue, at least on my end.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
valy

How could it be PDC, though? I copied one of the problem tracks into a blank session, disabled its FX, and it still froze all screwed up. Unless you mean that Reaper is compensating for delay when no FXs are active in the project, which I guess is possible...I'll admit a lack of understand about how Reaper handles PDC.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #15
mustgroove

I don't think it is PDC related - in the project I describe earlier in the thread, when I freeze the dialogue folder track I'm getting whole sections of dialogue from way way later in the project (like somewhere in the 3rd hour) being placed at the start of the project. Also sometimes I'll get the same section of dialogue repeated over & over again.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #16
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
I don't think it is PDC related - in the project I describe earlier in the thread, when I freeze the dialogue folder track I'm getting whole sections of dialogue from way way later in the project (like somewhere in the 3rd hour) being placed at the start of the project. Also sometimes I'll get the same section of dialogue repeated over & over again.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me. Four items on the track, and it seemed like it took two of them and copied pasted them over the other two.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:33 AM   #17
Judders

I've also noticed that freezing has started adding small empty items at the end of a project, if the track has an item near the end of the project.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
Bambony

I can corroborate - freezing broken in Reaper 6.11 for me.

2 screenshots are from 6.11 and 6.04. A completely empty project with 1 audio file and no plugins on Mac OSX El Capitan.

Thanks
Bambony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #19
Bambony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambony View Post
I can corroborate - freezing broken in Reaper 6.11 for me.

2 screenshots are from 6.11 and 6.04. A completely empty project with 1 audio file and no plugins.

Thanks
Attachments won't load - sorry

Tony
Bambony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #20
mhuss

Default ,

Intermittently (twice so far), when I freeze a track with, say, three verses, the frozen track has the 2nd verse where the 1st verse should be! The 2nd verse is in place as it should be. Rendering seems to work OK. I've attached an image showing the frozen and rendered tracks, even without audio you can see they're very different.

The 1st time I was able to get around it by deleting all plugins and then adding them again. This time it was a heavily worked over Melodyne track (non ARA) that I was loathe to discard!

(see image under 'weird freezing bug' in the main forum)
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #21
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambony View Post
Attachments won't load - sorry

Tony
You have to link to a 3rd party image hosting site, such as imagur or similar.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:25 AM   #22
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
You have to link to a 3rd party image hosting site, such as imagur or similar.
Postimage.io works great for this. Just post the forum link it ceeates
Old 05-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #23
Zealotron

Default Freezing not working for me either

Using the latest version.

I've been freezing and everything has been fine and then suddenly defaults to real-time rendering.

I have three choruses. It grabs audio from the third chorus and renders it into every chorus. I've Tried both online and offline with the same results.
Attached Images
File Type: png before.png (56.2 KB, 311 views)
File Type: gif after.gif (44.7 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by Zealotron; 05-30-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Zealotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #24
Zealotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuss View Post
Intermittently (twice so far), when I freeze a track with, say, three verses, the frozen track has the 2nd verse where the 1st verse should be! The 2nd verse is in place as it should be. Rendering seems to work OK. I've attached an image showing the frozen and rendered tracks, even without audio you can see they're very different.

The 1st time I was able to get around it by deleting all plugins and then adding them again. This time it was a heavily worked over Melodyne track (non ARA) that I was loathe to discard!

(see image under 'weird freezing bug' in the main forum)
I too am getting random issues where it will suddenly start taking audio from the end of the selected track and rendering into earlier sections of the track. this happens with any FX on the track. It all works fine for a while then freaks out.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #25
Zealotron

Default Worse in the latest update

I had freezing once yesterday, but after upgrading today it seems to be constant, even after a system reboot my freezes are starting a head of the original
Old 05-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #26
Coachz

Hopefully there is an update coming that will address this. They are usually quite responsive to this type of core functionality issue.

Last edited by Coachz; 05-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #27
Judders

Quote:
Hopefully there is an update coming that will address this. Those are usually quite responsive to this type of core functionality issue.
Very unusual that something so fundamental goes wrong. My first experience of it over 3 versions of REAPER.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #28
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Very unusual that something so fundamental goes wrong. My first experience of it over 3 versions of REAPER.
Yeah, this is the first time I've been concerned in years. Devs to the rescue! I haven't tested the problem because the air conditioning in my studio broke last week and I haven't been in it since. Looks like another week to get parts. Little green frogs got fried on the main circuit board in outside unit.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #29
Judders

Quote:
Yeah, this is the first time I've been concerned in years. Devs to the rescue! I haven't tested the problem because the air conditioning in my studio broke last week and I haven't been in it since. Looks like another week to get parts. Little green frogs got fried on the main circuit board in outside unit.
Ew!
Old 06-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #30
fakemaxwell

Also confirming this happened to me last couple days on 6.11. Kept trying to freeze a track that had two separate MIDI items. Instead of freezing item1 and then item2 at the correct spots in the timeline, item1 was replaced by item2. Still at the correct spots, just the completely wrong item.

Could not get it to work right no matter how many times I tried renaming and gluing so just gave up and kept working.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #31
schwa
Administrator

Sorry, just catching up with this thread! Does anyone have any sort of step by step way to reproduce? Or a project that demonstrates the problem? I can't reproduce it starting from scratch.

Last edited by schwa; 06-04-2020 at 09:47 AM.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #32
mustgroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Sorry, just catching up with this thread! Does anyone have any sort of step by step way to reproduce? Or a project that demonstrates the problem? I can't reproduce it starting from scratch.
I'll get one together for you ASAP
Old 06-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #33
Judders

Quote:
I've not had any problems since the first time it happened. That was a folder with a number of send and return channels, with the send channels master/parent turned off and Waves IR1 on the return channels.

I have no idea if the routing or plugin have any relevance.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #34
mustgroove

Project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh4oxvvwa5...oblem.zip?dl=0

1 track, high latency plugin on the track (reafir).

4 audio clips. Freezing the track results in an empty space where the 3rd audio clip should be, and the other 3 audio clips are just a repeat of clip 4.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #35
Amberience

I've had freezing issues a lot too. Usually it happens when there is a big gap in between items and when stuff is slip edited. I can post a project if the above doesn't cover it.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #36
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
Project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh4oxvvwa5...oblem.zip?dl=0

1 track, high latency plugin on the track (reafir).

4 audio clips. Freezing the track results in an empty space where the 3rd audio clip should be, and the other 3 audio clips are just a repeat of clip 4.

Thank you! Everything is getting rendered correctly, the problem occurs when the target filenames already exist on the disk, like when doing a 2nd freeze of the same or similar material. REAPER renames the files but incorrectly inserts the previously existing files onto the track. We'll fix this for the next build.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #37
mustgroove

Quote:
Thank you! Everything is getting rendered correctly, the problem occurs when the target filenames already exist on the disk, like when doing a 2nd freeze of the same or similar material. REAPER renames the files but incorrectly inserts the previously existing files onto the track. We'll fix this for the next build.
Thanks very much schwa!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #38
valy

Great!!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #39
Judders

Yay!

Thanks, Schwa!