Old 04-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
ayskura
Human being with feelings

Default UNDO and ARA :(

I don't know if really should go in bug report but it's quite a serious thing:

if you work with ARA plugin (Melodyne) on an item or track and you do your editing. then you do one error in Melodyne and you click undo and.....horror! plugin removed and all your work lost! it happened few times for me.

I know it's not a bug "per se" as Melodyne doesn't support shortcut modifer+Z to undo but it's quite instinctive and really a dangerous thing especially when you tuned a full track and you see all your change lost.

Maybe Reaper should be intelligent enough to recognize there is an ARA plugin in the last action and ask if you want to remove the plug in or undo the last operation inside Melodyne (albeit this might be difficult) but at least to ask if you really want to remove the ARA plugin? or maybe it could pass the shortcut modifier+Z to the Melodyne/ARA plugin and interpret it as undo inside the plugin? I don't know but it's quite a dangerour thing. You don't have this problem in other DAW as you can't undo the plugin insertion most of the time...
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
amagalma

There have been various ARA bugs. At some point the Devs ironed most of them out. AFAIK, only the undo bug remains and I have posted many times about it. Unfortunately, this is a very serious bug and until it is solved just don't use ARA. Forget it, otherwise you risk loosing all your edits any time...
Old 04-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
barbaroja

It also happens with plugins like FXpansion Geist and such. I think Trilogy also does that. It is like reaper does not store the memory of the plugin but a state.

Big issue here as well and it is not only related to ARA plugs. I have lost hours because of this.

Hope this gets some attention.
barbaroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Saving state of plugins is the normal way of doing it. If you'd be saving the whole memory of the plugin, particularly with more resource intensive plugins, you would have humongous project files, it is not feasible.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:50 AM   #5
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Saving state of plugins is the normal way of doing it. If you'd be saving the whole memory of the plugin, particularly with more resource intensive plugins, you would have humongous project files, it is not feasible.
I agree but n undo message for ARA or just remove the "insert plugin" from undo action it would do I guess - at the end most of the time no one cares to undo an insert of plugin. maybe it could be for multiple plugin (like if you insert a plug in on all tracks then yes you can undo but on a single track? it's quite easy to remove it yourself...)
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
multibody

What about an optional popup-warning when removing ara-plugins?
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
amagalma

When not having "save minimal undo states" enabled, Reaper should save the whole state of the ARA plugin and it should never result in lost edits. It doesn't and this is a bug.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
EvilDragon

IIRC in one thread schwa mentioned that is not feasible due to size of state chunk that Melodyne has, or something to that extent?

This is why Melodyne has its own undo buffer. At least as far as I understand things.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
multibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IIRC in one thread schwa mentioned that is not feasible due to size of state chunk that Melodyne has, or something to that extent?

This is why Melodyne has its own undo buffer. At least as far as I understand things.
The melodyne helpcenter states it is possible:

multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
Jae.Thomas

i wish melodynes own undo would work then
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
I know it's not a bug "per se" as Melodyne doesn't support shortcut modifer+Z to undo but it's quite instinctive and really a dangerous thing especially when you tuned a full track and you see all your change lost.
Ctrl+Z works fine inside Melodyne (on Windows, at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
Maybe Reaper should be intelligent enough to recognize there is an ARA plugin in the last action and ask if you want to remove the plug in or undo the last operation inside Melodyne
Good idea. Can perhaps be applied to all plugins that have their own internal undo history.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Ctrl+Z works fine inside Melodyne (on Windows, at least).
Same here. I never have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

Good idea. Can perhaps be applied to all plugins that have their own internal undo history.
Agreed.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #13
spinweb

I'm on Windows 10 and I'm having the exact problem the original poster cites. Really frustrating. I may have been better off in Reaper 5/Melodyne 4, as at least I wasn't regularly losing work.

I posted a thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....85#post2354885 and am still trying to figure out why some vocal tracks are saving my Melodyne edits and others aren't.