Old 04-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default Default click sound

I made sure to try saving a default project but I can't seem to make Reaper use new click sounds on a new project. (Metronome settings > browse for clicks 1 & 2)

Any ideas?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 AM   #2
Goldreap

If you use Insert> Click source instead of the usual metronome you can choose your sounds in source properties then 'save as default'. But yes, would be good if that 'save as default' button was in the usual metronome settings.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Fergler

Yeah I quite dislike the click source thing because the way to mute it is to use the actual track mute, which means forgetting about it and ctrl clicking mute button for other tracks and click turns on. It's also an extra track so blah.

From what I can tell metronome source settings seem to be project dependent. In that case they ought to be in project preferences... cada de nitpicks? But also functionally, would be very useful to store click sounds with particular projects (drummers for example often come with their own preferences).
Old 04-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
karbomusic

You can't mute the item? Just curious.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
You can't mute the item? Just curious.
I could this is true. Still feels like a workaround for unexpected behaviour I think could be improved
Old 04-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
karbomusic

I was wondering if one could make a very short script to find a track named "Click Track" and toggle it's mute button - then make that a shortcut and toolbar button.

Not dissing the feature ask, just can't help but think of ways to get by in the meantime.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Fergler

Quote:
I was wondering if one could make a very short script to find a track named "Click Track" and toggle it's mute button - then make that a shortcut and toolbar button.

Not dissing the feature ask, just can't help but think of ways to get by in the meantime.
Could also hide the track from TCP too
Old 04-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
karbomusic

Script: Lokasenna_Select tracks by name.lua

There's a lot going on in that script but seems like one could find the function that takes the user input string, and just hard code it to whatever you call the click track and remove the code that pops the dialog (well I assume it pops a dialog). Then a custom action with that + the toggle mute and track visibility.

That's a one-off solution with no real research though, might work though something makes me it could be even simpler barring the real feature.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
PossPosah

Very strange, but i cannot change click source from my *.wav files. After selecting it i click apply and save as default but still works default sine shape sound. If i change Hz parameters, then sound changes. The same situation in metronome settings (only no apply buton). Maybe i miss some stupid setting, but this is nightmare for me - can`t fix it more then hour.

Last edited by PossPosah; 06-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.
PossPosah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
EpicSounds

Quote:

built into sws

SWS/AW: Insert click track
SWS/AW: Toggle click track mute
Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
built into sws

SWS/AW: Insert click track
SWS/AW: Toggle click track mute
I assume scripts can call actions, if so that should work. But.. the script is needed to "find" the click track then call the actions; but if a script is going to do that, it's simpler to just call mute on the track or item object you just found using the script. The goal was a single toolbar button/key command that finds the click track and takes the actions.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I made sure to try saving a default project but I can't seem to make Reaper use new click sounds on a new project. (Metronome settings > browse for clicks 1 & 2)

Any ideas?
metronome settings are saved per project

IF no default template is used then the 'save as default' button in Project Settings window should set it for new projects.

IF a default template is used you need to update the template.

I just checked and it is working in 6.11
Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 AM   #13
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
metronome settings are saved per project

IF no default template is used then the 'save as default' button in Project Settings window should set it for new projects.

IF a default template is used you need to update the template.

I just checked and it is working in 6.11
It does not work for custom sound paths. The other settings are indeed saved.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #14
karbomusic

I think the script would be very simple, I started on one and bailed once it required more testing than I had time (because I'm so unfamiliar with the reaper APIs) - meaning I code an awful lot outside of music, but I usually stay away from it on the music side of my life, like reaper. I'll look again sometime but I'd be surprised if one of the existing forum scripters couldn't make the idea work pretty quickly and easily. Basically, find the "click track" based on a standardized track name, show/hide visibility and toggle mute of the click source item (IIRC), then it just becomes a shortcut or toolbar button.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #15
Fergler

Quote:
I think the script would be very simple, I started on one and bailed once it required more testing than I had time (because I'm so unfamiliar with the reaper APIs) - meaning I code an awful lot outside of music, but I usually stay away from it on the music side of my life, like reaper. I'll look again sometime but I'd be surprised if one of the existing forum scripters couldn't make the idea work pretty quickly and easily. Basically, find the "click track" based on a standardized track name, show/hide visibility and toggle mute of the click source item (IIRC), then it just becomes a shortcut or toolbar button.
All that just seems to silly when Reaper should just be saving the path names in the project file for the built in metronome.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
All that just seems to silly when Reaper should just be saving the path names in the project file for the built in metronome.
I agree but my entrance in this thread was to help people make music based on what is, not what should be. Have you seen the number of scripts fixing silly things?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #17
EpicSounds

Quote:
don't know what's happening with your system, but the path is saved on both my mac and pc for past 10 years with a default template

Last edited by EpicSounds; 06-05-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: using default template
EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #18
karbomusic

For saving as default project settings, it works here as well FWIW.