Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-13-2021, 12:43 AM   #1
bigtop
Human being with feelings

Default My trusty old Roland XV2020 back to life

Roland Corp discontinued support for many of its “legacy” products and my XV2020 has lain unused for some time. However, the internet of things has led me to a program called Patch Base

https://coffeeshopped.com/patch-base

For the modest sum of around 38 GBP, I downloaded a program that has the same functions as the (now abandoned) XV Editor. It works via MIDI protocol and allows me to recall (fetch function), edit and save the Roland sounds and much more.

The developer has responded promptly to my emails and is working on updates which he says will increase the functionality of the program.

Programs are available for a variety of Workstations and Sound Modules from many developers and I think it’s worth a look for any Reaper users who wish to breathe new life into their legacy products.

I AM NOT ASSOCIATED with the developers of this software.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
bazz02

Default Patch Base

Nice One.
I have a JV1080.Will give this a look.
bazz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:49 AM   #3
bigtop

I have been experimenting with my Roland XV2020 and, so far, no squawks to report. There is a limitation which is that only the User Patch Library can be fetched as a list. However, I can select any patch from any card within the XV2020 and this patch can be fetched, stored and edited in any way I like.

The developer, Chadwick Wood, who lives in Texas, emailed to say that this in normal as the User bank is the only one that can be written to in the original unit. He says that he will try and improve the functionality so that all the library banks may be viewed as a list (and sounds chosen from the bank).

Overall, I'm very happy with the program. There is no latency as the connection protocol is MIDI and I can play all sounds in real time with no problem.

This little program has saved me the expense of subscribing to Roland Cloud, which, I have read, is very CPU hungry and rather buggy for some users.

Good Luck with resuscitating your JV1080.